• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Microsoft to launch Windows 11?

I found a program that allowed me to play DOS games, Descent, Doom, Quake, etc on XP+. I loved those old first-person shooters.
On the topic of old FPS games, there are a number developers which have released their engines to open source, which the open source community grabbed up and evolved which work well on Windows 10 that you might want to check into.

Feed those engines the old game's files (typically the WADs) and it's rather amazing to see how far the HW and SW performance for those games has come, the HW and SW on which the games were released struggling is no longer the case.

Recently cobbled together a really nice install of the old Quake 3, and it just snaps like nobody's business. If you are an FPS fan, this may be for you.

What other advantages beyond this? I'm pretty perfectly happy with the Windows 10 that I have now.
What would compel me to move to Windows 11 and be forced to enable TPM? (Presently either missing from the mobo or disabled)
imo you shouldn't, W10 will still receive full support for another 5 years. By then there will be a software workaround (like there is now on the preview builds) or you'll probably have new hardware. If neither of those come to pass, there's always Linux so you're not running an unsupported OS. Or continue running W10 unsupported like people still do with XP and 7.

Probably dosbox, it's the go to for DOS emulation on Windows and has been forever. It's even pre-bundled with a lot of games now so they work without any trouble.

This site is a gold mine.

That's it! Helluva memory their pardner. :cool:

On the topic of old FPS games, there are a number developers which have released their engines to open source, which the open source community grabbed up and evolved which work well on Windows 10 that you might want to check into.

Feed those engines the old game's files (typically the WADs) and it's rather amazing to see how far the HW and SW performance for those games has come, the HW and SW on which the games were released struggling is no longer the case.

Recently cobbled together a really nice install of the old Quake 3, and it just snaps like nobody's business. If you are an FPS fan, this may be for you.

Thanks for the info but I've long abandoned the adrenaline rush of FPS games. Just don't have the disposable time for them I used too.

What other advantages beyond this? I'm pretty perfectly happy with the Windows 10 that I have now.
What would compel me to move to Windows 11 and be forced to enable TPM? (Presently either missing from the mobo or disabled)
If you are happy with 10, stay with it.. 11 isn't that big of a change /deal.

imo you shouldn't, W10 will still receive full support for another 5 years. By then there will be a software workaround (like there is now on the preview builds) or you'll probably have new hardware. If neither of those come to pass, there's always Linux so you're not running an unsupported OS. Or continue running W10 unsupported like people still do with XP and 7.
Hey, that's really good feed back. Thanks!
I already have 3 Linux servers in the basement running the infrastructure on Gentoo:
  1. network services 3 GHz 2 core, Web, caching DNS, Wins, web services
  2. storage (32 GB RAM) 4 core + 7 TB HW mirrored disk
  3. VM hosting machine 3 GHz 32 GB
But my main Windows workstation is getting a little long in the tooth, 4 core AMD at 3 GHz, but it's a DDR2 machine with SATA3 SSD, perfectly fine for what is required of it, but the laptop with the M2 SSD & 16 GB just snaps so much better (considering throwing in 32 GB on that one to run VMs better).

By long time friend has a computer storefront (http://emccomputerstore.com/) and I've been buying from him for like 30 years, has a hell of a deal.
For $300 you get 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 4 GHz Intel Intel Premium Gold, Comet Lake, Socket 1200 LGA, G6400, 16 GB RAM, ASRock H510M-HDV/M.2
(current supply chain may affect availability)

While I may have delayed too long (Porsche track car engine rebuilt taking priority), I'm hoping to rebuild the storage and VM host machines to 64 GB on the same, but we'll see.

Thanks for the info but I've long abandoned the adrenaline rush of FPS games. Just don't have the disposable time for them I used too.
:cry: Yeah, I understand. I really don't either. Really too bad.

Back
Top Bottom