• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Michael Cohen pleads guilty to lying to Congress about Trump real estate project in Russia

Sorry bad choice of words I guess.

As I stated to Atomic, I do NOT defend his actions if he obstructed the law period. If he did and found guilty its on him. STUPID if he knew he was innocent and violated NOT crimes.....

Proving the firing of Comey....will be tough.... doubt its "slam dunk" obstruction. Funny you skipped over the point where I corrected you that Comey did NOT appoint the special council. So even more so showing obstruction is going to be a challenge.

Moving on, Yes sorry...that was a personal statement that carries no warrant... just how I feel. Generically speaking, How can you obstruct justice on something you didnt not do... But again thats a generic sense. You can still do something stupid. Ultimately then obstruct...but again... this WHOLE thing was collusion with Russia.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-release/file/967231/download

Title -
ORDER NO. 3915-2017
APPOINTMENT OF SPECIAL COUNSEL
TO INVESTIGATE RUSSIAN INTERFERENCE WITH THE
2016 PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION AND RELATED MATTERS

The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confinned by then-FBI
Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination bet ween the Russian government and individuals
associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and

Accusation of links and coordination is right there? Its not made up, its an accusation that Trump may have links or coordination in relation to the 2016 elections?

Root cause is right there.

Crime 1 - Russian interference in 2016 election FACT- 17 agencies confirmed

ACCUSATION - Crime 2, Links and coordination between Russian Government and individuals associated with teh Campaign of Trump, ..... IN relation to the title... "Russian Interference"

They are trying to correlate 2 separate crimes as 1 total crime....which seemingly has not corroboration.

Last edited:
AG Lynch and DAG Yates attended a briefing with at least 4 prosecutors, along with Axelrod, and David Margolis, at the time the most senior career official in ODAG, as well as several OAG and ODAG staff members. Toscas and Laufman were present from NSD, while Carlin participated by phone. Present from the FBI were Comey, McCabe, Rybicki, Baker, FBI Attorney1, and Strzok. where went over the entire case together.

Gotcha! Gotta read more of this. In my Opinion again.... i do NOT agree... and something still sounds fishy. In all fairness. I need to educate myself so I will stand corrected and speaking in Opinions and not facts to include misstatements and errors in my opinion.

Yes. Thank you. He was fired. Less than a month on the job. The Problem was dealt with.

He was fired one month after Sally Yates informed the White House that Flynn may have been compromised. Flynn was also hired after Obama told Trump that he was a bad apple. There was no diligence done on Flynn. The Trump transition team failed miserably with Flynn (and Manafort and others).... because of Trump's sloppiness / incompetence, an agent of an enemy got a substantial national security job requiring the highest of security clearances.

Sorry, but Donald J. Trump owns the responsibility for Flynn being hired in the first place as well as his bungling in getting rid of the guy.

trouble pointed out that I didn't answer your question. If nothing is found, I accept that nothing was found. As far as was it warranted... I'd have to see Rod Rosentein's complete explanation which I'm sure would be demanded of him beyond anything he's put forth yet. Of course it shouldn't be political and I agree with your thinking that a special prosecutor was more protected than he is from interference from the executive branch and the DOJ.

As far as what has been found thus far, a lot of process crimes of course but Mueller has indicted many russians for electoral interference. Not collusion yet but it is something that has been revealed by the investigation that has happened.

As far as my speculation on results, it's coming from indictments that we've seen, reactions of those criminally accused and reactions of those around them. And some details that have come out from time to time in the news.

Fair enough! With that......I included our throwing out opinions... NONE of us really knows whats in Muellers report...So ALL of us are speculating.... But thats kinds of the fun part huh LOL?

I mean we can get all excited and yell at each other, BUT I will say if there is clear evidence I will accept it.

The only thing now that we SHOULD worry about... is will the Acting AG or the knewly appointed AG....actually prosecute. As it seems par for the course not to.....

He was fired one month after Sally Yates informed the White House that Flynn may have been compromised. Flynn was also hired after Obama told Trump that he was a bad apple. There was no diligence done on Flynn. The Trump transition team failed miserably with Flynn (and Manafort and others).... because of Trump's sloppiness / incompetence, an agent of an enemy got a substantial national security job requiring the highest of security clearances.

Sorry, but Donald J. Trump owns the responsibility for Flynn being hired in the first place as well as his bungling in getting rid of the guy.

There is no dispute that Trump is responsible for the hiring of Flynn.
It is dispute that a bad hire is a special counsel issue.

Finally you type it correctly.

The only thing that's absurd is you can't quote any such "main reason" in the official documents that govern the appointment of special counsel, but continue to claim it is.

You're just making this **** up, that's why you can't quote it from the document. Just admit it.

It was typed correctly. You had originally read it incorrectly.

The document is posted a few notes up from this one. The claim that the purpose of Mueller's appt. was something other than Putin/Trump collusion in the 2016 election is absurd.

Fair enough! With that......I included our throwing out opinions... NONE of us really knows whats in Muellers report...So ALL of us are speculating.... But thats kinds of the fun part huh LOL?

I mean we can get all excited and yell at each other, BUT I will say if there is clear evidence I will accept it.

The only thing now that we SHOULD worry about... is will the Acting AG or the knewly appointed AG....actually prosecute. As it seems par for the course not to.....

It won't be all in with information but tomorrow is a big day for some information...

This week, Mueller is due to make three crucial court filings -- sentencing memos for Michael Flynn, Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort. Each document will tell us something important about what the future holds for these defendants and, more importantly, about what Mueller knows and where he might be headed. By the end of this week, we will know much more about the strength of Mueller's hand and the threat his investigation poses to President Donald Trump and his administration.

link...

Funny you skipped over the point where I corrected you that Comey did NOT appoint the special council. So even more so showing obstruction is going to be a challenge.
That's because I never claimed that. I claimed the investigation was started by the FBI, which Comey oversaw...Coming was heading the investigation before SC.

1. In July 2016, the FBI began looking into Russian interference, as well as the question of whether members of the Trump campaign might have coordinated or cooperated with Russia's activities.[90]
2. Those investigations became part of the Special Counsel's portfolio.[91]

Special Counsel was appointed by Rosenstein, which took over the FBI investigation, when Trump pressured Come to stop investigating Flynn, and when he then fired Comey because of the investigation.

Both were started because of evidence of actual criminal activity, but the actual investigation into 2016 meddling and Trump, started with the FBI, just liked I claimed. Right wing media wants you to believe it's all evil Mueller and dems, etc., FISA warrant is false, not predicated on actual crimes, etc. It's all 100% nonsense/lies.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Counsel_investigation_(2017–present)

Generically speaking, How can you obstruct justice on something you didnt not do.
Because that's not what those words mean.

Obstruction is not obstructing "something you did", that doesn't make any sense.
Obstruction is obstructing the DOJ's investigation. Obstruction of Justice. Not Obstruction of your own Crime, or Obstruction of something you did.

The Special Counsel is authorized to conduct the investigation confirmed by then-FBI
Director James 8. Corney in testimony before the House Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence on March 20, 2017, including:
(i) any links and/or coordination bet ween the Russian government and individuals
associated with the campaign of President Donald Trump; and

Accusation of links and coordination is right there? Its not made up, its an accusation that Trump may have links or coordination in relation to the 2016 elections?
Root cause is right there.
No, that's not what it says. It says, explicitly, it is authorization to conduct the investigation into each of the bullet items.
One of those bullet items is into any links or coordination between Russai/Trump

It is not an accusation. It is not a claim. It is what it says it is, authorization to investigate that, among the other bullet points.

Crime 1 - Russian interference in 2016 election FACT- 17 agencies confirmed
ACCUSATION - Crime 2, Links and coordination between Russian Government and individuals associated with teh Campaign of Trump, ..... IN relation to the title... "Russian Interference"
They are trying to correlate 2 separate crimes as 1 total crime....which seemingly has not corroboration.

Crimes? What crimes? Correlating separate crimes...there is none of that going on.
It's the scope of the investigation, that is all.

Lying about Russian Dealings? In context as a whole I do NOT see it that way. So that is YOUR opinion that he is lying... "Lying to the American People" as noted by CNN is not a crime.

Dont worry Mueller will connect the dots? OK, if he does. If he does not will you accept that there is nothing to connect?

Wow Talk about justification.

1) Currently it is not confirmed the emails in question were anywhere NEAR a private server, JUST a private email account by a public server.
2) Ivanaka's Behavior? We do NOT know context of the emails yet. If they are NOT work related nor Classified material she broke NO crime?
3) SOS Given leeway YOU are KIDDING RIGHT Those that HOLD those positions are Held to a HIGHER STANDARD NOT a lesser standard?
4) Nothing was ever proven to be leaked? THAT has NO bearing when you sign the Classified documents release it your responsibility to safeguard it period regardless if its leaked or not. If I did so while I had clearance and access and was caught transmitting classified documents over an unsecured network I would be in Leavenworth PERIOD. Regardless if it was leaked or not?

Why the difference in treatment? Im sure she signed the same nondisclosure form given to anyone handling classified material then given the same brief bag JAG should they violate the rules they can be held responsible and punishable.

A SOS is charged with the highest security clearances in the Govt. and can classify and declassify State Dept. material. Can Ivanka do that? In addition the FBI failed to find any crime because there was no malicious intent. This might not be true with Ivanka and since she DID use her personal phone for Govt. business we need to look at all her emails to see why she was hiding Govt. business from the public record. THAT could very well be an even more serious crime. Expect a lot of public testimony as the Dems get to the bottom of this scandal and get her to testify as to just what her job is and why it doesn't infringe on the anti-nepotism law for the executive branch. There just so much to do that the Dems are going to need to go 24-7 just to catch up with all the law breaking and corruption evident in the last 2 years. Corruption and lawbreaking that has been ignored by the Republican led House for far too long. Mueller can take his time because there is plenty to do that doesn't even involve his work. Trump seems intent on adding to his counts of obstruction and witness tampering nearly daily so just when Mueller thinks he is done he has more paperwork to prepare.:lol:

Last edited:
Sorry I know thats not how it works. thats just How I see it. HOW I see it doenst make it right...I understand that.... Like I said it in my direct post if he is GUILTY he is Guilty I will NOT defend his actions. period.

Just dont like the setup how this all played out....

No one 'set this up'. Trump's own actions is what set this up. If he's innocent then all he had to do is sit back, keep his mouth shut, his thumbs still, and keep his nose out of Mueller's and DOJ's business and refrain from recklessly undermining the institutions that protect this country such as the Courts, the FBI and Intelligence services and and let them and Mueller do their jobs so he can be cleared. But he won't do it and now his interference is driving this investigation to go on even longer. For a man who says he's not guilty he sure acts like he is.

Last edited:

Yikes!! My apologies! I misread, Im so sorry about that. I dont know why I thought you said that, went back to confirm that was my error.

As for obstruction the statements seem to be the obstruction of the Investigation into allegations of Trump Collusion. Trump is intentionally obstructing people from completing a thorough investigation into collusion accusations.

With what I am reading. If they are no "Accusing" Trump or there is No concern or allegation then why have that specific in the SCOPE. Why not ALL parties to include HRC and DNC & RNC they are all part and participants in the 2016 elections? WHY only TRUMP if that is NOT the implied allegations. Because someone in the DOJ though TRUMP colluded with Russia to influence the 2016 Elections? (Assumption) But make sense. IF NOT again Why only Trump specifically named?

You are correct by investigative purpose of bullet points but again refer to my concern above?.

As for Crime? Crimes of Election interference. Concerns from Comey through the FISA warrant/Papadapolous that Trump was working with Russia. Pay for play etc. The had to be a pretense of a crime right.... IF NOT... they again if there was NO crimes then WHAT was the point of investigating Trump?

Last edited:
A SOS is charged with the highest security clearances in the Govt. and can classify and declassify State Dept. material. Can Ivanka do that? In addition the FBI failed to find any crime because there was no malicious intent. This might not be true with Ivanka and since she DID use her personal phone for Govt. business we need to look at all her emails to see why she was hiding Govt. business from the public record. THAT could very well be an even more serious crime. Expect a lot of public testimony as the Dems get to the bottom of this scandal and get her to testify as to just what her job is and why it doesn't infringe on the anti-nepotism law for the executive branch. There just so much to do that the Dems are going to need to go 24-7 just to catch up with all the law breaking and corruption evident in the last 2 years. Corruption and lawbreaking that has been ignored by the Republican led House for far too long. Mueller can take his time because there is plenty to do that doesn't even involve his work. Trump seems intent on adding to his counts of obstruction and witness tampering nearly daily so just when Mueller thinks he is done he has more paperwork to prepare.:lol:

Wait you just said SOS gets leeway? Make up your mind?

Secondly the guy that took a picture of the inside of a sub got a year in jail with NO Malicious intent. IF I am caught emailing classified info on an unsecured sever NO malicious itent I WOULD BE subject to UCMJ actions and punished. YOU DO NOT need malicious intent. "Negligence" of the law is not excusable.

LOL You are saying what Ivanaks Supposedly did..no Fact finding yet, is EXACTLY what HRC ACTUALLY DID in addition to destroying records AFTER being served a subpoena.

I can see your blinded talking points..... This wont be productive. Have a good evening, While I dont agree with Mach or Atomic at least they are willing to have an honest conversation without being heavy on the CNN talking points.

No one 'set this up'. Trump's own actions is what set this up. If he's innocent then all he had to do is sit back, keep his mouth shut, his thumbs still, and keep his nose out of Mueller's and DOJ's business and refrain from recklessly undermining the institutions that protect this country such as the Courts, the FBI and Intelligence services and and let them and Mueller do their jobs so he can be cleared. But he won't do it and now his interference is driving this investigation to go on even longer. For a man who says he's not guilty he sure acts like he is.

WELL!!! in All fairness trump doesnt know when to Shut up. And if he is guilt of obstruction yes it is ultimately his damn fault. LOL.......Hes an idiot when it comes to these things. I cannot deny that!

2. Those investigations became part of the Special Counsel's portfolio.[91][/I]
Special Counsel was appointed by Rosenstein, which took over the FBI investigation, when Trump pressured Come to stop investigating Flynn, and when he then fired Comey because of the investigation.
So do you think Trump obstructed justice when he asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn?

Lying about Russian Dealings? In context as a whole I do NOT see it that way. So that is YOUR opinion that he is lying... "Lying to the American People" as noted by CNN is not a crime.

Dont worry Mueller will connect the dots? OK, if he does. If he does not will you accept that there is nothing to connect?

Wow Talk about justification.

1) Currently it is not confirmed the emails in question were anywhere NEAR a private server, JUST a private email account by a public server.
2) Ivanaka's Behavior? We do NOT know context of the emails yet. If they are NOT work related nor Classified material she broke NO crime?
3) SOS Given leeway YOU are KIDDING RIGHT Those that HOLD those positions are Held to a HIGHER STANDARD NOT a lesser standard?
4) Nothing was ever proven to be leaked? THAT has NO bearing when you sign the Classified documents release it your responsibility to safeguard it period regardless if its leaked or not. If I did so while I had clearance and access and was caught transmitting classified documents over an unsecured network I would be in Leavenworth PERIOD. Regardless if it was leaked or not?

Why the difference in treatment? Im sure she signed the same nondisclosure form given to anyone handling classified material then given the same brief bag JAG should they violate the rules they can be held responsible and punishable.

This is what the Inspector General's report had to say about the classified emails found on SOS Clinton's server.

None of the email chains contained any classification markings of any kind. These email
chains had one or two paragraphs that were marked “(C)” for
“Confidential” but contained none of the other required markings, such
as classification headers.
 There was no evidence that the senders or former Secretary Clinton
believed or were aware at the time that the emails contained classified
information. In the absence of clear classification markings, the
prosecutors determined that it would be difficult to dispute the
sincerity of these witnesses’ stated beliefs that the material was not
classified.
 The senders and former Secretary Clinton relied on the judgment of
employees experienced in protecting sensitive information to properly
handle classified information.
 The emails in question were sent to other government officials in
furtherance of the senders’ official duties. There was no evidence that
the senders or former Secretary Clinton intended that classified
information be sent to unauthorized recipients, or that they
intentionally sought to store classified information on unauthorized
systems.
 There was no evidence that former Secretary Clinton had any
contemporaneous concerns about the classified status of the
information that was conveyed on her unclassified systems, nor any
evidence that any individual ever contemporaneously conveyed such
concerns to her.
 Although some witnesses expressed concern or surprise when they
saw some of the classified content in unclassified emails, the
prosecutors concluded that the investigation did not reveal evidence
that any U.S. government employees involved in the SAP willfully
communicated the information to a person not entitled to receive it, or
willfully retained the same.
 The senders used unclassified emails because of “operational tempo,”
that is, the need to get information quickly to senior State Department
officials at times when the recipients lacked access to classified
systems. To accomplish this, senders often refrained from using
specific classified facts or terms in emails and worded emails carefully
in an attempt to avoid transmitting classified information.
 There was no evidence that Clinton set up her servers or private email
account with the intent of communicating or retaining classified
information, or that she had knowledge that classified information
would be communicated or retained on it.
In addition to these facts as described by the prosecutors, various witnesses told us
that one reason it was difficult to establish intent was that the mishandling of classified information was a persistent practice at the State Department.
These practices made it difficult for the Midyear team to conclude that particular
individuals had the necessary criminal intent to mishandle classified materials.
According to Prosecutor 4, “[T]he problem was the State Department was so
screwed up in the way they treated classified information that if you wanted to
prosecute Hillary Clinton, you would have had to prosecute 150 State Department
people.”

Did Ivanka do this? Hillary could have got people killed ....but what difference does it make anyway?

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2016/02/01/report-top-secret-hillary-emails-included-operational-intelligence-which-jeopardized-lives-n2113093

Today, Fox News quotes an intelligence source who has seen the documents in question. His damning assessment:“Operational intelligence” can be real-time information about intelligence collection, sources and the movement of assets. The official emphasized that the “TOP SECRET” documents were sent over an extended period of time -- from shortly after the server's 2009 installation until early 2013 when Clinton stepped down as secretary of state
Highly classified Hillary Clinton emails that the intelligence community and State Department recently deemed too damaging to national security to release contain “operational intelligence” – and their presence on the unsecure, personal email system jeopardized “sources, methods and lives,” a U.S. government official who has reviewed the documents told Fox News. The official, who was not authorized to speak on the record and was limited in discussing the contents because of their highly classified nature, was referring to the 22 “TOP SECRET” emails that the State Department announced Friday it could not release in any form, even with entire sections redacted. The announcement fueled criticism of Clinton’s handling of highly sensitive information while secretary of state, even as the Clinton campaign continued to downplay the matter as the product of an interagency dispute over classification. But the U.S. government official’s description provides confirmation that the emails contained closely held government secrets.

Last edited:
So do you think Trump obstructed justice when he asked Comey to stop investigating Flynn?

I’m simply stating the reasons that special prosecution was appointed, per the sources from Wikipedia.
And yes, that, along with over a dozen other incidents appears to be evidence of obstruction on Trumps part.

Yikes!! My apologies! I misread, Im so sorry about that. I dont know why I thought you said that, went back to confirm that was my error.
no problem thanks for acknowledging.

If they are no "Accusing" Trump or there is No concern or allegation then why have that specific in the SCOPE. Why not ALL parties to include HRC and DNC & RNC they are all part and participants in the 2016 elections? WHY only TRUMP if that is NOT the implied...IF NOT again Why only Trump specifically named?
Because they are required to provide a limited scope with such appointments. To have an open ended scope leads to abuses...the special counsel rules have been updated many times over the years, each time making it more limited, and more constrained by DOJ. It was Trump that had all the ties to Russia that were lied about, obfuscated, and hidden. It was Trump that was behaving guiltty. It was Trump that hired Flynn. It was Trump that asked Comey to drop it. It was Trump who fired Comey.
Hint, it was Trump. It’s his campaign that ther was evidence of criminality surrounding this, and so SC was appointed for that purpose.

As for Crime? Crimes of Election interference. Concerns from Comey through the FISA warrant/Papadapolous that Trump was working with Russia. Pay for play etc. The had to be a pretense of a crime right.... IF NOT... they again if there was NO crimes then WHAT was the point of investigating Trump?
Evidence of a crime...and there was and is.
There was evidence Russia hacked the DNC and timed the email release perfectly to benefit Trump.
Ther was evidence Trumps campaign had lots of suspicious Russian contacts that they were hiding and lying about.
It was team trump that Putin was helping.
It was Trump talking sweet about Putin and dropping sanctions.
Heck, most of this was public at that point.
When Trump made the seemingly criminal move to obstruct so overtly in asking him to drop the Flynn thing and then fired him because of Russia, that was sufficient to prompt Special Counsel to look into it all.

Check out my post about the classified emails above yours. Unlike your unnamed Fox source it has names on it from the people who had seen and reviewed them with the people who sent and or received them. So once again it appears that you've been suckered into believing a false narrative. Fox seems to more concerned with their possibility of their most favorite son and benefactor going down than they are with doing factual reporting.

Wait you just said SOS gets leeway? Make up your mind?

Secondly the guy that took a picture of the inside of a sub got a year in jail with NO Malicious intent. IF I am caught emailing classified info on an unsecured sever NO malicious itent I WOULD BE subject to UCMJ actions and punished. YOU DO NOT need malicious intent. "Negligence" of the law is not excusable.

LOL You are saying what Ivanaks Supposedly did..no Fact finding yet, is EXACTLY what HRC ACTUALLY DID in addition to destroying records AFTER being served a subpoena.

I can see your blinded talking points..... This wont be productive. Have a good evening, While I dont agree with Mach or Atomic at least they are willing to have an honest conversation without being heavy on the CNN talking points.

Oooh I offended you sensibilities? The truth hurts but you should try it sometimes. Ivanka is letting her lawyer sort out "personal e-mails" same as Hillary. You also forget that Colin Powell used AOL while SOS. But he was appointed by a Republican so that is different right? Trump is innocent of every charge for the same reason I suppose. Even a man who is most likely a criminal abuser of women is OK on the Supreme Court because he is a Republican stooge too. If it wasn't so sad it would be funny. Thank goodness this nightmare will be over soon. It's been like a "bizzaro world" where the criminals have taken over the Govt. Now it is time for some heads to roll.

Powell adopted one of Clinton's defenses Thursday, saying his actions didn't jeopardize government record-keeping because official emails would have found their way into State's official systems.

"With respect to records, if I sent an email from my public email account to an addressee at another public email account it would not have gone through State Department servers. It was a private conversation similar to a phone call. If I sent it to a state.gov address it should have been captured and retained by State servers," Powell said. "I was not aware at the time of any requirement for private, unclassified exchanges to be treated as official records."

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/colin-powell-defends-personal-email-227889

Last edited:
Check out my post about the classified emails above yours. Unlike your unnamed Fox source it has names on it from the people who had seen and reviewed them with the people who sent and or received them. So once again it appears that you've been suckered into believing a false narrative. Fox seems to more concerned with their possibility of their most favorite son and benefactor going down than they are with doing factual reporting.
They wouldn't even release redacted forms of 22 email because they were so sensitive. :roll:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/us/politics/22-clinton-emails-deemed-too-classified-to-be-made-public.html
WASHINGTON — The State Department on Friday said for the first time that “top secret” material had been sent through Hillary Clinton’s private computer server, and that it would not make public 22 of her emails because they contained highly classified information.

I’m simply stating the reasons that special prosecution was appointed, per the sources from Wikipedia.
And yes, that, along with over a dozen other incidents appears to be evidence of obstruction on Trumps part.
What crime were they investigating? What Flynn did, talking to the Russian Ambassador during the transition, was not a crime. What Papadopoulos did was not a crime until he lied to the FBI. What Carter Page did was not a crime. What crime initiated the investigation of Trump? Why isn't Hillary and her campaign being investigated. As far as I remember Hillary was part of the 2016 campaign. And there are ties to Russia because that us where the smear Trump Russian dossier came from per C. Steele. So it appears Russia was meddling on BOTH sides of the election.

Back
Top Bottom