• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

May 2024 Debate Politics - Meetup/Celebration

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Hard to believe that in May of 2024, our little forum will be online for 20 years.

Let's celebrate!! 🎉🥳

Looking for ideas and reaching out for folks that are willing to help plan a meetup or some type of celebration.

Single location? Multiple locations with streaming? Dinner, fun & games, fine wine/beer/spirits?
Dunno, but I'm personally excited just thinking about it.

We still have some months to go, but no time like the present to throw the idea out there to see if there is support.

Thoughts?

(y)(n)❓

Hard to believe that in May of 2024, our little forum will be online for 20 years.

Let's celebrate!! 🎉🥳

Looking for ideas and reaching out for folks that are willing to help plan a meetup or some type of celebration.

Single location? Multiple locations with streaming? Dinner, fun & games, fine wine/beer/spirits?

We still have some months to go, but no time like the present to throw the idea out there to see if there is support.

Thoughts?

(y)(n)❓
I'm fairly new, but I love the idea!

Let's celebrate!! 🎉🥳

Thoughts?

(y)(n)❓
Two decades? Quite an achievement, kudos!

Let's celebrate!! 🎉🥳

Thoughts?

(y)(n)❓
20 years. Gratz!!

I've been here for just over half of that.

But...I'll pass. Various reason, from financial to simply no desire to meet some of the abusive people here on DP in person.

a zoom meeting would be the easiest - just turn off your webcam if you want to protect your identity
and use your username..
might be fun

Congratulations on approaching the 20-year mark! I'm a relative newbie here but the idea of a meet-up interests me.

a zoom meeting would be the easiest - just turn off your webcam if you want to protect your identity
and use your username..
might be fun
Agreed. I am a member of another forum and we scheduled various Zoom calls. It was great meeting other members "in person".

Meeting people in person may lend a different perspective.

Someplace mid-US to make the travel time as equal as possible for those on the coasts. Set up a hidden members only thread for those who sign up to attend and keep location secret for those whose attendance is confirmed. Perhaps limit attendance eligibility to those who have been here at least 2 years. I'm assuming DP will pay for something like a dinner or cocktail gathering for attendees so the number needs to be limited to what DP can afford and sign up for those eligible would need to be limited to those who sign up by a certain date. Probably would have to be held on a weekend so those who work can come. Conference hotel with capacity for dinner/cocktail hour or nearby restaurant with same. Member identity verified by DP staff on arrival at venues.

The security measures I suggested were used on another forum I belong to that used to host an event each year in Vegas. It's a jewelry forum so members were traveling with $$$$$ in jewelry hence the secret location and identity verification. I think some measure of security should occur for DP too.

Meeting people in person may lend a different perspective.

Someplace mid-US to make the travel time as equal as possible for those on the coasts. Set up a hidden members only thread for those who sign up to attend and keep location secret for those whose attendance is confirmed. Perhaps limit attendance eligibility to those who have been here at least 2 years. I'm assuming DP will pay for something like a dinner or cocktail gathering for attendees so the number needs to be limited to what DP can afford and sign up for those eligible would need to be limited to those who sign up by a certain date. Probably would have to be held on a weekend so those who work can come. Conference hotel with capacity for dinner/cocktail hour or nearby restaurant with same. Member identity verified by DP staff on arrival at venues.

The security measures I suggested were used on another forum I belong to that used to host an event each year in Vegas. It's a jewelry forum so members were traveling with $$$$$ in jewelry hence the secret location and identity verification. I think some measure of security should occur for DP too.
Great idea! Hold it in Dallas. That is mid-country with great airlift and that's where I live. ;)

Great idea! Hold it in Dallas. That is mid-country with great airlift and that's where I live. ;)
Howdy neighbor!

I'm sure there will be quite a few great ideas for places until we pick a spot.

But...I'll pass. Various reason, from financial to simply no desire to meet some of the abusive people here on DP in person.
I'm sure you are not alone with the financial, the desire and also that some folks will want/need to remain anonymous so in-person is not an option.

No worries.

I'm assuming DP will pay for something like a dinner or cocktail gathering for attendees
I really like this idea! It will however be up to the planning team.

I'm guessing there is some here that are experts for events.

If I were younger I would probably come

Sounds like a good opportunity to get laid. ;)

Congratulations, twenty years is an impressive accomplishment and this is a quality forum to be sure. Thanks to you, the Admin, and all the members of this community over the years who made this possible. You stand well above the rest!

I won't be traveling for a meet-up, and I don't do Zoom, but thanks for the invite. I do join in celebrating the longevity of this board and the value of the good, caring and knowledgeable folks here. Doesn't get any better than this. (y)

Free-Heart-thank-you-Animate-Stickers-1.gif

You know how when you are planning a get together with a group of friends but you hope a certain someone doesn't show up, thankfully.
Then why bother broadcasting it? If not everybody is wanted, invite who you want and let it go at that.

Or does that make too much sense?

Then why bother broadcasting it? If not everybody is wanted, invite who you want and let it go at that.

Or does that make too much sense?
In real life, I know how to be civil even towards those I don't really care for in a social setting instead of excluding them from the gathering but still hope they don't show up.

In real life, I know how to be civil even towards those I don't really care for in a social setting instead of excluding them from the gathering but still hope they don't show up

How very high school of you. You might find that socializing with people with different beliefs is extremely enjoyable.

I would hate Dallas. I vote for Washington, DC. It's the focus of much of our discussion and most airlines fly there directly from large cities. I do have a concern that we may be in the throes of another covid epidemic in which case we may have reverted to flying less and congregating less in large groups.

Congratulations, twenty years is an impressive accomplishment and this is a quality forum to be sure. Thanks to you, the Admin, and all the members of this community over the years who made this possible. You stand well above the rest!

I won't be traveling for a meet-up, and I don't do Zoom, but thanks for the invite. I do join in celebrating the longevity of this board and the value of the good, caring and knowledgeable folks here. Doesn't get any better than this. (y)

Free-Heart-thank-you-Animate-Stickers-1.gif

Same.

I haven't read every post but we could have state, or states zoom meetings by themselves, and we have a mock election for president etc. With , ya know , each state sends a vote to a mod and somebody counts 😊

Let's celebrate!! 🎉🥳

Thoughts?

(y)(n)❓
I've asked Elon Musk to pay for all current Debate Politics Members to fly-into Sandals Antigua for a conference of the politically adept to give him ideas on how to progress the agenda of saving humanity as our 20 yr anniversary.

The qualifications for a flight ticket, room, and meals are a 2-year membership and recently active status. There will be a limit of 2000 active members, with the Staff being automatically approved. First come, first serve will be the criteria.

The combined brain power of such an eclectic, educated, and experienced group of individuals will be invaluable, plus we get to party together.

It probably won't happen, but hey, nothing tried!

DP.jpg

Back
Top Bottom