• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Martin Luther King Jr., "I have a dream"

drz-400

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Thought I would post the video of this famous speech on Martin Luther King Jr day. If you have never watched, you should. Listening to this speech puts chills down my spine. It is one of the most powerful speeches I have ever heard.

As a youngster I remember watching Dr. King as he delivered his "I have a dream" speech live on TV. I was thrilled. That moment helped change my view of race relations in America.

After decades and decades and decades, I can now say unequivocally that the dream is dead. The dream of equality of opportunity has morphed into the nightmare of equality of result. In the process the ideal of equality of all has been lost.

In terms of consciousness, zero progress has been made. In fact, lots of people have simply stopped caring.

My state refuses to recongize MLK day. But then what do you expect of a state that the KKK orginated in?

As a youngster I remember watching Dr. King as he delivered his "I have a dream" speech live on TV. I was thrilled. That moment helped change my view of race relations in America.

After decades and decades and decades, I can now say unequivocally that the dream is dead. The dream of equality of opportunity has morphed into the nightmare of equality of result. In the process the ideal of equality of all has been lost.

In terms of consciousness, zero progress has been made. In fact, lots of people have simply stopped caring.
The dream isn't dead, it's just that the majority of people who would support it have been co-opted by those who support that "equality of result" you speak of.

Those who leap to mind are the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and his ilk, but I'm positive there are similar examples touting any "minority group" you could name - and dozens you couldn’t.

But I still have that dream, even though I wasn’t born when MLK Jr. immortalized it in words.

And hundreds, thousands, even millions of other people have the same dream, even if some don’t realize it.

The dream isn't dead, it's just that the majority of people who would support it have been co-opted by those who support that "equality of result" you speak of.

Those who leap to mind are the Rev. Jesse Jackson, and his ilk, but I'm positive there are similar examples touting any "minority group" you could name - and dozens you couldn’t.

But I still have that dream, even though I wasn’t born when MLK Jr. immortalized it in words.

And hundreds, thousands, even millions of other people have the same dream, even if some don’t realize it.

I hope you are right and I wish you well.

MLK Jr. is celebrated here. He is on a few of our signs and for the rest of the week there will be talks about various topics relating to race relations.

Thought I would post the video of this famous speech on Martin Luther King Jr day. If you have never watched, you should. Listening to this speech puts chills down my spine. It is one of the most powerful speeches I have ever heard.

MLK did not deliver his "I have a dream" speech on MLK day. He delivered it on August 28th, 1963.

I might have misinterpreted the OP, but I did want to point out it was not delivered on Jan 17th.

Last edited:
Mmmmm typical watered down MLK day crap. Every year people love to bust out the "I have a dream" speech and talk about non violence and bask in the myth of MLK. Interesting that so many are so ignorant of the man outside of pretty much what has been posted in this thread.

MLK did not deliver his "I have a dream" speech on MLK day. He delivered it on August 28th, 1963.

I might have misinterpreted the OP, but I did want to point out it was not delivered on Jan 17th.

I wanted to say that I was posting this on MLK day, not that the speech was on this day, but thanks for clearing that up.

Mmmmm typical watered down MLK day crap. Every year people love to bust out the "I have a dream" speech and talk about non violence and bask in the myth of MLK. Interesting that so many are so ignorant of the man outside of pretty much what has been posted in this thread.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. When I was young and it was announced that he was coming to town, we all cringed because we knew that riots, looting, fires, and injury were sure to be the result. He may have preached nonviolence, but violence followed him everywhere he went. Some of the violence was from bigoted and overzealous police, but some was also from his followers.

How about instead of coming out like an arrogant fool, you bring something of substance to the table?

Come back to me when you do something as great as organizing a peaceful resistance that started a new era, and sacrifice your life for the cause of equal rights for a minority, and I may consider your writings. Otherwise you don't make a pimple on this great man's ass and your words are simply negative pontification.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. When I was young and it was announced that he was coming to town, we all cringed because we knew that riots, looting, fires, and injury were sure to be the result. He may have preached nonviolence, but violence followed him everywhere he went. Some of the violence was from bigoted and overzealous police, but some was also from his followers.

How you can blame a man that advocated nonviolence and was an avid student of Gandi is beyond me.

Last edited:
Ya know, MLK was a good man. Even great. But he was still just a man.

Personally I think that MLK is rolling in his grave because of all the people using his name for things that he never espoused. Especially people like Sharpton and Jackson. Heck despite him being a pacifist I would bet he'd punch those two in the mouth for the crap they've pulled under his name. I also think that he's rolling in his grave because of all the kids that get out of school because of MLK day. As educated as he was I doubt he would approve kids skipping school (and getting approval of it) just because the day was about honoring his works.

The Left has already pissed all over King's dream. What's the point of replaying the speech?

How you can blame a man that advocated nonviolence and was an avid student of Gandi is beyond me.

Where did I blame him for anything. I merely said that whenever he came to my city when I was a teenager, there were always race riots. What he advocated and what actually took place were two entirely different things.

Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

Where did I blame him for anything. I merely said that whenever he came to my city when I was a teenager, there were always race riots. What he advocated and what actually took place were two entirely different things.

Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

You said his "followers" commited acts of violence. Isn't that blaming him?

Come back to me when you do something as great as organizing a peaceful resistance that started a new era, and sacrifice your life for the cause of equal rights for a minority, and I may consider your writings. Otherwise you don't make a pimple on this great man's ass and your words are simply negative pontification.

Please tell me how this has anything whatsoever to do with what I said. Can't? kthxbye

How about instead of coming out like an arrogant fool, you bring something of substance to the table?

What do you want?

The Left has already pissed all over King's dream. What's the point of replaying the speech?

You know King supported massive reparations for blacks, supported linking up the struggle of the oppressed blacks with other oppressed poor and supported workers' struggles, including but not limited to union struggles, right?

Please tell me how this has anything whatsoever to do with what I said. Can't? kthxbye

If you honestly don't have a clue I can't help you. BTW judging by your posts you loath this country and it's system of government including everything it stands for. Why do you stay here? I can't honestly say I've ever seen you say anything postive about this country or it's leaders.

You know King supported massive reparations for blacks, supported linking up the struggle of the oppressed blacks with other oppressed poor and supported workers' struggles, including but not limited to union struggles, right?

Any links? I thought so. BTW some blacks should have had reparations. Their property was stolen right out from under them just because they were black. And what's wrong with the latter part of your statement? Since when is a union necessarily a bag thing? If industry would have treated people fairly from the get go there would never have been unions.

Any links?

Regarding Reparations:

"The white liberal must affirm that absolute justice for the Negro simply means, in the Aristotelian sense, that the Negro must have "his due." There is nothing abstract about this. It is as concrete as having a good job, a good education, a decent house and a share of power. It is, however, important to understand that giving a man his due may often mean giving him special treatment. I am aware of the fact that this has been a troublesome concept for many liberals since it conflicts with their traditional ideal of equal opportunity and equal treatment of people according to their individual merits. But this is a day which demands new thinking and the reevaluation of old concepts. A society that has done something special against the Negro for hundreds of years must now do something special for him, in order to equip him to compete on a just and equal basis."
p.95

Regarding pretty much everything else:

"While there must be a continued emphasis on the need for blacks to pool their economic resources and withdraw consumer support from discriminating firms, we must not be oblivious to the fact that the larger economic problems confronting the Negro community will only be solved by federal programs involving billions of dollars. One unfortunate thing about Black Power is that it gives priority to race precisely at a time when the impact of automation and other forces have made the economic question fundamental for blacks and whites alike. In this context a slogan "Power for Poor People" would be much more appropriate than the slogan "Black Power."

However much we pool our resources and "buy black," this cannot create the multiplicity of new jobs and provide the number of low-cost houses that will lift the Negro out of the economic depression caused by centuries of deprivation. Neither can our resources supply quality integrated education. All of this requires billions of dollars which only an alliance of liberal-labor-civil-rights forces can stimulate. In short, the Negroes' problem cannot be solved unless the whole of American society takes a new turn toward greater economic justice."
pg. 586

Regarding unions specifically, what do you think he was doing in Memphis when he was assassinated?

And what's wrong with the latter part of your statement? Since when is a union necessarily a bag thing?

WTF are you talking about I never said there's anything bad about unions.

Horray you provided links! Only problem is they fail to make your point. Where is it said in his writing that we must make reperations? Changes that will require spending but I see nothing specific about reperations.

You speak out of both sides of your mouth. On one hand you claim to have said nothing bad about the unions and then from the other side of your mouth you comment, "What do you think MLK jr. was doing in Memphis? Give me a break. You are insulting my intelligence.

Sorry you just don't get it.

Where is it said in his writing that we must make reperations?

That entire first paragraph is directly about reparations, wtf are you talking about? I'm beginning to think you're not even coherent enough to talk to.

On one hand you claim to have said nothing bad about the unions and then from the other side of your mouth you comment, "What do you think MLK jr. was doing in Memphis? Give me a break. You are insulting my intelligence.

WTF? I'm seriously confused as **** now. MLK was in Memphis supporting a union struggle. How do you get out of that that I think unions are bad? WTF is wrong with your head? Are you just trolling now?

Back
Top Bottom