• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Marriage Proposal In Salt Lake City Utah Goes Viral

How does the video make you feel?

• I am male, and it disgusts me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am female, and it disgusts me

• I am female - I won't even watch video

• I hate you

• Total voters
There's plenty of places they could do something like that that don't inconvenience other people at all. If I went into home depot to buy something and they told me I couldn't shop in the section I needed to because someone was putting on some big show of a marriage proposal, I'd walk out and drive half a mile to Lowes. Why risk losing customers over something that gains you nothing?

Of course maybe they did this during a time when the store was closed, in which case that's fine, but the video didn't make it sound like it.

The flip side of that might be that Home Depot gets a free plug in a viral video, millions of people see it, they appreciate that Home Depot participated in something of that nature, and decide the next time they need something from a large hardware/building supply store they'll support Home Depot. So maybe Home Depot profits from a small inconvenience for a short period of time.

Maybe.

Would there be more pressure to say "yes" if proposed to on the jumbotron at a major sporting event when 60,000 people are thrust into being a part of the situation?

everybody sees it

:lol:

Only well after the fact. Only after it's posted on youtube. During the actual proposal only family, friends, and maybe a few store-workers and customers saw it.

I'd bet those involved will always think it was special.

Would there be more pressure to say "yes" if proposed to on the jumbotron at a major sporting event when 60,000 people are thrust into being a part of the situation?

Yup, I'd imagine so. But if he hadn't cleared marriage with her first, quite honestly, it was a dick move anyway, and good on her for not letting herself feel pressured into a life-long decision.

I like how they got him a beer as he was walking off the court though. Drink up, dude. Rough night.

That was cute. I'm not a fan of marriage at all unless you plan on having kids, but it's always nice to see happy people. He obviously enjoyed the way he was proposed to, which means his BF knows him quite well. I say the odds are good that such a relationship will last.

There's a boat-load of things that contribute to high divorce rates. I doubt the method/style of proposing makes the top ten list.

I'm not saying that the proposal specifically is the problem. I'm saying that it's indicative of the problem, namely that people put too much emphasis on the wedding (and proposal, reception, bachelor party, etc.) and not enough on the marriage.

How many people spend years and tens of thousands of dollars planning their perfect dream wedding but never sit down with their future spouse and talk about important issues (like how money will be handled, or how many kids they want and how they'll be raised, etc.) before they get married? Because I know quite a few couples who that describes perfectly.

The flip side of that might be that Home Depot gets a free plug in a viral video, millions of people see it, they appreciate that Home Depot participated in something of that nature, and decide the next time they need something from a large hardware/building supply store they'll support Home Depot. So maybe Home Depot profits from a small inconvenience for a short period of time.

Maybe.

Yeah, maybe. But there are going to be roughly the same number of people who say "I'm not shopping at Home Depot because they let a couple of queers get engaged there" as those who say "Aw, that was adorable, we should go shop there".

That couldn't get more gay if it ended with Justin Bieber grinding his g-string covered junk on both of their faces.

If it was to a WOMAN, it'd still be gay.

you seem to be pointing to the exception in an attempt to establish a rule ...

Maybe just go back to arguing that anyone who thinks it's corny must hate gays

I wouldn't react well to something like this, but it's obvious the target loved it, so good for them. They obviously invested a lot of time and effort and it went off to great effect.

There's plenty of places they could do something like that that don't inconvenience other people at all. If I went into home depot to buy something and they told me I couldn't shop in the section I needed to because someone was putting on some big show of a marriage proposal, I'd walk out and drive half a mile to Lowes. Why risk losing customers over something that gains you nothing?

Of course maybe they did this during a time when the store was closed, in which case that's fine, but the video didn't make it sound like it.

Well, home depot is known for being gay friendly is i think why they allowed it. Maybe they see it as good publicity.

in the internet age nothing is kept special

Really! I proposed to my boyfriend in private with only our closest friends around. It was our moment, no silly sing and dance no great video opportunity, just us romantic and intimate.

It will always be special to me, having the whole world see it would.have taken away from it.

Really! I proposed to my boyfriend in private with only our closest friends around. It was our moment, no silly sing and dance no great video opportunity, just us romantic and intimate.

It will always be special to me, having the whole world see it would.have taken away from it.

l didnt accuse you of anything:mrgreen:

That it's a Gay Proposal doesn't really faze me at all, but I really couldn't give a crap about the proposal video some random couple made. Supporting their right to get married doesn't mean I have to give a crap when they do.

Back
Top Bottom