• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Manafort Accused of Sharing Trump Polling Data With Russian Associate

What your saying sounds like something from a sci-fy novel.maybe the Russians hacked manafort's mind and he was an unwitting accomplice?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Manafort owed the Russians millions of dollars he did not have. I think that was reason enough for him to do what ever they wanted him to do. Trump is also compromised because Putin knows what he did and it was illegal. BTW This is not fiction. It all really happened

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/29/politics/russian-former-spy-paul-manafort-trump-campaign/index.html

Did she not hire a British spy to gather opposition research on Trump from the Russian gov? Surely you must want that to be prosecuted.

We also have indications that our own gov may of abused their authority in order to gain information against trump. You must want that investigated and prosecuted too, No?

The DNC hired a private contractor named Steele who's expertise, credentials and network of informers was ideal for investigating the secret operations of the Kremlin and the GRU. He produced the dossier which as it turns out very accurately documented the conspiracy between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. That is very different than getting a foreign Govt. like Russia to spend it's own money to help your campaign while also assisting them and lying about it to voters. That is called a criminal conspiracy to defraud the U.S. and Trump is up to his neck in it.

Written in the midst of the campaign, Steele's memos contained allegations that Russia was waging a broad effort to interfere, and Russian President Vladimir Putin was personally involved in the effort, motivated by his "fear and hatred" of Clinton. That assertion is now accepted as fact by the US intelligence community and Trump's handpicked intelligence leaders, though Trump himself has refused to unequivocally accept the conclusion that Putin was trying to help him.
Even Putin has seemingly endorsed the conclusion that he favored Trump's candidacy. Asked during his summit with Trump last year in Helsinki, Finland, if he wanted Trump to win the election, Putin responded: "Yes, I did. Yes, I did. Because he talked about bringing the US-Russia relationship back to normal."
The dossier said that the hacks against Democrats, which were publicly released by WikiLeaks during the 2016 campaign, were part of a wider Russian hacking effort. That has since been confirmed in Mueller's court filings, and last year, the special counsel indicted a dozen Russian intelligence agents in connection with the hacks.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/politics/dossier-two-years-later/index.html

This is now the clearest evidence of direct collusion between the trump campaign and Russian intelligence during the election.

This is in spite of the fact that the Trump Tower meeting was itself collusion, along with, um....well...the fact that Trump publicly asked Russia to hack Clinton's emails.

Trump supporters have already moved the goal posts to "Manafort was pressured into falsely confessing to sharing the polling data" as well as "Polling data? Big deal." So if you're planning on changing trump supporter minds....seriously, don't bother.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Just like the four other threads: this isn't illegal.

Did she not hire a British spy to gather opposition research on Trump from the Russian gov? Surely you must want that to be prosecuted.

We also have indications that our own gov may of abused their authority in order to gain information against trump. You must want that investigated and prosecuted too, No?

****. There's evidence that our government GAVE Steele a lot of the information he then put into the dossier and planted stories in the press to support the stories in the dossier.

This is now the clearest evidence of direct collusion between the trump campaign and Russian intelligence during the election.

This is in spite of the fact that the Trump Tower meeting was itself collusion, along with, um....well...the fact that Trump publicly asked Russia to hack Clinton's emails.

Trump supporters have already moved the goal posts to "Manafort was pressured into falsely confessing to sharing the polling data" as well as "Polling data? Big deal." So if you're planning on changing trump supporter minds....seriously, don't bother.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/08/...tion=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Boom.

If tRump ordered this--hell, if he even knew about it and he did nothing to stop it--that would be game over.

And now "but Hillary? " Just stop.

****. There's evidence that our government GAVE Steele a lot of the information he then put into the dossier and planted stories in the press to support the stories in the dossier.

Lutherf's post, everybody, is how whataboutism actually works: not by posting an example of something that happened, but by making a claim that is obviously false.

If the claim were true it would be relatively easy to respond to and bring the topic back on course. But because the claim is obviously and laughably false, it presents a low hanging fruit for everybody to respond to, thereby hopelessly derailing the discussion.

Last edited:
You dudes still pissed off because there's no such crime on the books?

Spare me. You as well as I know had Hillary been accused of this nonsense she'd have been impeached. Slag Chin Mitch would have ensured it.

This interview of a Republican Senator defending Trump's campaign manager colluding with Russian intelligence is evidence that, having retreated into anti-truth reality, Republicans will say literally anything:

Yesterday, Paul Manafort’s lawyers inadvertently disclosed that their client had passed polling data to his Konstantin Kilimnik, his business partner and a Russian intelligence agent. This surprising revelation has placed President Trump’s defenders in an inconvenient position of having to maintain their “no collusion!” stance in the face of evidence of literal cooperation between Trump’s campaign manager and the Russians responsible for illicit behavior on his behalf. It’s quite collusive.

The awkwardness of the defense was on hilarious display when Republican senator James Lankford gave an interview to CNN. Lankford began the interview by characterizing Kilimnik as representing Ukraine. “This is an ongoing relationship Paul Manafort had with Ukraine,” he said. “He was a representative of Ukraine, worked for the Ukrainian government.”

Of course, Kilimnik’s work in Ukraine was financed by, and undertaken on behalf of, Russia. Russian oligarchs (acting at the apparent behest of Vladimir Putin) hired Kilimnik and Manafort to help elect pro-Russian candidates in Ukraine. To depict Kilimnik as representing “Ukraine” and the “Ukrainian government” is misleading in the extreme.

When it was pointed out that Kilimnik was and is a Russian intelligence agent, and this fact was known to Manafort, Lankford switched his line of defense. “Now, this person previously worked for the Russian military,” he conceded, “but so did most everybody in that.” Well, yes — most everybody working for the pro-Russian front party Manafort and Kilimnik represented had previous experience working for Russian military intelligence. That’s not a coincidence! It’s because the whole operation was directed by Russian intelligence.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...?utm_campaign=nym&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

Why? I listened to but Bush for 8 years. Contrasts and comparisons are fair.
Contrasting what?

Manafort, Trump's former campaign chairman, now we know stands accused by Special Counsel of having lied about passing U.S. election polling information, to a Russian, who has known ties to Russian Intelligence and has helped Manafort in the past on pro-Russian political dirty tricks in Ukraine.

Good gods man.

I'm asking what do you think was the outcome of the sharing? i.e. what was the point

I hope you don’t think the intent of this thread was to actually discuss this issue honestly.

nothing has moved at all, we need to know what kind of polling data,, sheesh, the guy can talk about election polling data from rasmussen with whoever he wants, how's that a frikking crime? thats stupid.

Laying the ground for the "process crime"/"trump misspoke" angle?

Its been prepped for a while now.

Spare me. You as well as I know had Hillary been accused of this nonsense she'd have been impeached. Slag Chin Mitch would have ensured it.

Therexs no way Clinton could have been impeached.

This interview of a Republican Senator defending Trump's campaign manager colluding with Russian intelligence is evidence that, having retreated into anti-truth reality, Republicans will say literally anything:
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/201...?utm_campaign=nym&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

That's pretty funny.
Other people were also former Russian Military, therefore Manafort's passing U.S. polling data to a Russian "doesn't matter".
Worse, if it was impossible to not to conspire directly with Russia's attack on the U.S. because they are all Russian assets...why do it in the first place?
If he's not a Russian conduit, and its so ubiquitous and harmless, why did Manafort lie about it?
Didn't Manafort specifically ask KK to check with Oleg Deripaska to see if he could use his position as Trump's campaign chair to "get whole" with the Russian oligarch.

I wonder timeline on all of this.

That's pretty funny.
Other people were also former Russian Military, therefore Manafort's passing U.S. polling data to a Russian "doesn't matter".
Worse, if it was impossible to not to conspire directly with Russia's attack on the U.S. because they are all Russian assets...why do it in the first place?
If he's not a Russian conduit, and its so ubiquitous and harmless, why did Manafort lie about it?
Didn't Manafort specifically ask KK to check with Oleg Deripaska to see if he could use his position as Trump's campaign chair to "get whole" with the Russian oligarch.

I wonder timeline on all of this.

"Your honor, there's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why I bought drugs from that dealer: I've been doing business with him for years. What do you mean you're giving me the maximum sentence?"

Contrasting what?

Manafort, Trump's former campaign chairman, now we know stands accused by Special Counsel of having lied about passing U.S. election polling information, to a Russian, who has known ties to Russian Intelligence and has helped Manafort in the past on pro-Russian political dirty tricks in Ukraine.

Good gods man.
Good god where do I get off this merry-go-round ride. I've already said my piece about Manafort.

You dudes still pissed off because there's no such crime on the books?

Nah....but collusion may be an element of a crime.

Time will tell.

But nice to see your are hanging it all on "collusion is not a crime".

How many are in prison or taking plea deals now?

Face it, the administration is a circle jerk of plausible deniability and at some point someone's arm gets tired.:lamo

Nah....but collusion may be an element of a crime.

Time will tell.

But nice to see your are hanging it all on "collusion is not a crime".

How many are in prison or taking plea deals now?

Face it, the administration is a circle jerk of plausible deniability and at some point someone's arm gets tired.:lamo

Ok...what crime did Manafort commit?

Ok...what crime did Manafort commit?

The court record is available for you to see.

Idle curiosity, do people have committed crimes always get convicted - especially if they have a plea deal?

So the Trump campaign secretly shared private, election related data with the Russians, as the Russians were engaged in a massive, illegal, coordinated attempt to sway the election in favor of Donald Trump.

They also lied about it (the campaign has repeatedly denied any/all such contacts in public).
Manafort was willing to commit a felony in trying to cover this up.

That could easy be participating in a conspiracy against the united states, complete with intent in the form of secrecy, obfuscation, culminating in making false statements in an attempt to cover it up. They could have been sharing all public data, it's irrelevant. The data shared is not the crime, although there may be national security concerns here, and/or civil issues with what they shared. But materially coordinating to commit the crime of Russia interfering with our election, is the potential crime. The data itself doesn't have to be illegal.

I'm quite sure that if such polling can't be shared with a pac, as that would be "coordinating directly" then it isn't legal to share that information with a foreign power to use for your benefit.

It would be used the same way.

Is that what you believe, that the voting machines were hacked and the voting totals were altered?

I'm curious because I know a very good freind pf mine believes that and until he told me that I wasnt aware that anyone thought that happened.

If that is a real concern I am curious why there wasnt a larger outcry from people demanding the states cooperate with the election commission Trumps administration formed after the elections.

I have been under the impression that the allegation has been that Russia tricked people into voting for trump by using stolen data from the DNC and spreading propaganda on the internet.

Actually, convinced people to vote third party or not at all instead of Hillary.

Same outcome, but obviously not how you think people see it.

Back
Top Bottom