• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who shot Ahmaud Arbery gets life sentence for hate crime

I'm not sympathetic to him and that's what you're being dishonest about. I think he got the sentence he deserved in the criminal trial and now I think piling on an additional sentence that serves no justice based purpose whatsoever is wanton vengeance.

Back in 2009 there was a pharmacist in Tulsa that shot a guy that robbed him at gunpoint. That shoot was totally justified. However, instead of letting things be, the pharmacist stepped over the guy on the ground and shot him again. That second shooting was pure bullshit and the pharmacist got hooked up for murder. The system is doing the same thing to the guy we're talking about now. He's already effectively dead and now all of you are celebrating the fact that the DoJ stood over his corpse and, figuratively speaking, shot him again.

Pursue justice and all is well. Pursue vengeance and we've ****ed up our system.
Law & order prevailed.
Why the concern for this perp? Planning on some coon hunting?

Na
This isn't "dual justice". It's grave dancing but that's the way left wingers think. Lefties don't perceive "justice" unless someone they view as "their enemy" gets crushed, ground to dust and then pissed on.
Baloney. I said there were dual tracks, not necessarily double prosecutions. I used to investigate discrimination cases for the state of Colorado. With the exception of employers who had fewer than 15 workers, there were parallel tracks, state first, then the feds ceding to or reviewing state decisions. Mafia or bank robber prosecutions might be handled both by a state and the feds as well. And federal laws were often created because of the failure of states to prosecute, especially in lynching cases similar to this one.

Get real. The only one ground to dust in this case has been Arbery.

This isn't "dual justice". It's grave dancing but that's the way left wingers think. Lefties don't perceive "justice" unless someone they view as "their enemy" gets crushed, ground to dust and then pissed on.
I do not perceive justice when a racist lynch mob gets let off the hook, you are absolutely correct.

Reactions: PoS
I still can't get over the fact that the main reason - maybe the only reason - they're in jail right now is because they were so ****ing stupid enough to record their own crimes.

But it reminds me of how people with entitlement syndrome behave - the senior McMichael was a former cop and like a lot of ex-cops, sometimes pretended to still be one. He no doubt raised his son with the white male cop mentality. It wasn't that they were rock dumb that they recorded themselves; it's entitlement. It's the brazen, brass balls notion that they really and truly believed that, on some level, 'He's just a n----r*' and that his death wouldn't matter. You saw that in the son's testimony. He tried to make himself all upstanding and presentable in court - the ex-military, "I served my country and I was just lookin' out for my neighbors", community watchman bullshit. And when it was clear that wasn't working, his lawyers went full on Mississippi Burning with outrageous tactics that were meant to polarize and result in jury nullification.

*Not trying to exercise license to use the word but just trying to convey in visceral terms what they were probably thinking. As someone who grew up in Dixie, I unfortunately understand the mentality all too well.
They thought they were the "good guys with guns"......when in reality they were racist pigs.

Which is why law enforcement should be handled by professionals......in the vast majority of cases.

Here is the irony - it was actually Roddy Bryan's attorney who released the video of the killing hoping it would quell the rumors in town. Three white DAs reviewed the case and sat on it before the video was released.

May 5, 2020

A Brunswick radio station, WGIG, is given a copy of Bryan's video of the shooting by an attorney and posts it online. It becomes widely distributed on the internet, sparking a national uproar. Within hours, Durden announces a grand jury investigation. The same day, Georgia Governor Brian Kemp orders the Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) to take the case.

Social media strikes again!

They thought they were the "good guys with guns"......when in reality they were racist pigs.

Which is why law enforcement should be handled by professionals......in the vast majority of cases.

They knew they were racist pigs. They didn't think anyone important would care.

They knew they were racist pigs. They didn't think anyone important would care.
I guess my point is that racist pigs often think they are the "good guys with a gun".

The people that murdered Emitt Till thought that they were doing the right thing.

The problem with vigilantyism is that people that think they are acting in the name of justice are often the bad guys.

I guess my point is that racist pigs often think they are the "good guys with a gun".

The people that murdered Emitt Till thought that they were doing the right thing.

They didn't necessarily think they were doing the right thing; they thought that they were keeping the social hierarchy in place. They never for a moment thought that a 14-year-old black boy was a threat to the white adult woman he supposedly whistled at. They wanted to send a message to other black people in the community that they're not about to tolerate anyone challenging the social hierarchy, and they're willing to kill in order to preserve it. Any other narrative taken away from that horrible incident fails to understand what apartheid is.

And yes, I said it - apartheid. We think of apartheid as something that was unique to PW Botha's South Africa. It so totally represents the United States pre-1968. We just don't want to go there.

They didn't necessarily think they were doing the right thing; they thought that they were keeping the social hierarchy in place.
Which they thought was the right thing.

Which they thought was the right thing.

Their sense of "right" isn't the same as mine. It's not like they thought they were saving a drowning child; it's more like they were killing "savages". If you want to equate that to 'right', fine.

Their sense of "right" isn't the same as mine. It's not like they thought they were saving a drowning child; it's more like they were killing "savages". If you want to equate that to 'right', fine.
Right. Nor mine.

Hence my point.

GOOD!

I feel sorry for the 3 dolts as they are your basic redneck idiots but the fact is, they deserve the sentences.

So many dumb ****s like they are. 1/3 the country. They wear red hats.

GRRRRRRRR how dare the feds and state charge them with all the crimes they committed GRRRRRRRRRR

is anybody buying this triggered unhinged moronic fake outrage false narrative yet?
Come on his posts are trying REALLY hard . . . . . .anybody?
seems its not working on anybody right left or center who is educated honest and objective awwwwwwwww

The bedsheets won't be knotted into noose as long as there's still hope of a pardon from President Trump. What's that? It looks like the DoJ may be prosecuting the Don? Uh oh.

Suddenly the "law and order" crowd, who claim to love the incarceration rate of a third world country....act like they don't understand why there is tough sentencing.
Laws and penalties do have an effect on crime.
The idea that no murders are prevented by the existence of laws, law enforcement, et.c, is really silly of you to suggest.
But when conservatives say the same thing in support of tougher sentencing, liberals say the opposite. SO---do penalties have an effect on crime, perhaps justifying the additional time and trouble of hate crimes prosecutions? OR do they NOT deter crime, in which case hate crimes prosecutions are strictly a "feel good" activity for liberals, and a waste of the taxpayers' money?

But when conservatives say the same thing in support of tougher sentencing, liberals say the opposite
When is that, ither than when republicans are putting on theater (like in the Jackson hearings)? When pen hit paper, the First Step Act, sponsored by Grassley (R), was passed with bipartisan support.

Back
Top Bottom