• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who shot Ahmaud Arbery gets life sentence for hate crime

I'm pretty sure that GA doesn't allow the governor to pardon. I think they have a board that covers pardons and that you can't even apply for a pardon until 5 years after you complete your sentence. In this guy's case he'll be dead twice before he can apply for a pardon but we have to protect the general public, don't we!
Taking murderers off the streets is not good for the public safety? Dude you need to reexamine your thought process here. Your normal victim mode has now has you on the side of racist murderers.

This is the ONLY reason I can think of to have a Federal hate crime law. Even here, under the doctrine of "separate sovereigns", the Feds could also just prosecute him for murder.

IF I WERE KING, and could draw the homicide statutes from scratch:

All Intentional killings would be presumptively capital offenses.

Provocation would be an Affirmative Defense, to be proven by the Defendant.

In the absence of proof of Any provocation, the death sentence would be automatic.

If Enough provocation were proven, the offense would be reduced by the extent of the provocation, perhaps even to Justifiable Homicide.

In self defense cases, the attack would be the provocation resulting in justifiable homicide, where a reasonable man would defend himself under the circumstances and "detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an upraised knife."

Provocation would have to be something that would provoke the "Reasonable Man", not a bigoted Peckerwood. Thus, race, religion etc would never be considered as provocation.

How say the rest of you?
I for one won’t be elevating you to King.

Well unless the sentences run concurrently if he gets paroled he goes right back in. I have no idea whether his state offers the chance of parole or not or if they're concurrent - this is just a general point.

As well the Feds are a sovereign and have to enforce their laws.
I think they were trying to make sure no one person could pardon them, but another part was basically to make a point about it being a hate crime.

Taking murderers off the streets is not good for the public safety? Dude you need to reexamine your thought process here. Your normal victim mode has now has you on the side of racist murderers.
You're simply being dishonest. The guy IS off the streets...for LIFE. You can't take him off the streets any more than you already have so this sentencing is a complete waste of time.

This may have been published already so forgive my asking, but what were these morons thinking? Did they say or try to explain why they chased him down to begin with? Usually when a lynch mob forms they at least have a crime or report of a crime and a suspect as a starting point.
They tried to claim they were trying to stop him just so that they could get him to answer their questions about some thefts in their neighborhood (basically an excuse for "running the black man down" to exert authority over him). The defense claimed they were performing a citizens arrest despite not calling the police, there being no crime committed that day, and them not seeing him ever commit a felony, basically not being able to meet the legal requirements of performing a citizens arrest. And a citizens arrest does not allow anyone to stop a person just to "get them to answer questions".

You're simply being dishonest. The guy IS off the streets...for LIFE. You can't take him off the streets any more than you already have so this sentencing is a complete waste of time.
Charging him and convicting him of the crimes he actually committed........in this case BOTH state murder charges AND federal hate crime charges......is not a waste of time.

Time is relative. It was his to waste. He’ll be able to reflect on his actions twice as much.

Even the death penalty doesn't stop murders. Go ahead and rub one out over this but it doesn't change a damned thing. The ONLY reason for crap like this is to make idiots feel better about themselves.
Suddenly the "law and order" crowd, who claim to love the incarceration rate of a third world country....act like they don't understand why there is tough sentencing.
Laws and penalties do have an effect on crime.
The idea that no murders are prevented by the existence of laws, law enforcement, et.c, is really silly of you to suggest.

Charging him and convicting him of the crimes he actually committed........in this case BOTH state murder charges AND federal hate crime charges......is not a waste of time.
Yeah, it is a waste of time. Once you have the guy locked up for life then all other convictions are a waste of time. You can't punish him any more than you already have. There's a saying about beating a dead horse and that's EXACTLY what's happening here but every damned one of you is just pleased as punch about it not because you're into justice but because you can't stop jacking off to the show.

How am I being dishonest? Your sympathies lie with the racist murderer here.

Yeah, it is a waste of time. Once you have the guy locked up for life then all other convictions are a waste of time.
Nonsense. State systems and federal systems are seperate and tried separately.

Trying a suspect for both is the norm. Not unusual in the slightest

You can't punish him any more than you already have. There's a saying about beating a dead horse and that's EXACTLY what's happening here but every damned one of you is just pleased as punch about it not because you're into justice but because you can't stop jacking off to the show.
Sentencing isn't the issue.

Convicting him of the crimes he is guilty of is the issue.

That IS justice.

That's awesome!!! Now he gets a life sentence added to his life sentence. He'll be double dead before he gets out of jail. We can't have racists ever be too dead to protect us from their hatred.

Seriously, this is so stupid. Why do people get excited about adding a sentence to a guy that's already in jail for life? What benefit is there to society by doing this crap?
The first case is still in the appeal process. So take that into consideration and rethink.

Like I said earlier, the only reason to do this is to make people happy. That isn't justice. That's vengeance.
GRRRRRRRR how dare the feds and state charged them with all the crimes they committed GRRRRRRRRRR

Watching the bigoted, nutty meltdown posts over law and order and justice being served like the system is supposed to do is hilarious!

😂🍿

I'm just curious as to the proof that it was a "hate crime". The left claims all whites are racist, is that the evidence? I know all white shots black is a hate crime but none of the black shoots white is a hate crime. Why is there that difference.
A jury weighed the evidence in its entirety. You being personally unfamiliar is your problem and nobody else's.

This may have been published already so forgive my asking, but what were these morons thinking? Did they say or try to explain why they chased him down to begin with? Usually when a lynch mob forms they at least have a crime or report of a crime and a suspect as a starting point.
Lynch mobs absolutely do not need a valid reason to murder someone.

They saw a black guy in "their" neighborhood and just decided he was a criminal who had to be stopped.

These guys each thought of themselves as "a good guy with a gun".

Now they are convicted racist murderers.

I still can't get over the fact that the main reason - maybe the only reason - they're in jail right now is because they were so ****ing stupid enough to record their own crimes.

But it reminds me of how people with entitlement syndrome behave - the senior McMichael was a former cop and like a lot of ex-cops, sometimes pretended to still be one. He no doubt raised his son with the white male cop mentality. It wasn't that they were rock dumb that they recorded themselves; it's entitlement. It's the brazen, brass balls notion that they really and truly believed that, on some level, 'He's just a n----r*' and that his death wouldn't matter. You saw that in the son's testimony. He tried to make himself all upstanding and presentable in court - the ex-military, "I served my country and I was just lookin' out for my neighbors", community watchman bullshit. And when it was clear that wasn't working, his lawyers went full on Mississippi Burning with outrageous tactics that were meant to polarize and result in jury nullification.

*Not trying to exercise license to use the word but just trying to convey in visceral terms what they were probably thinking. As someone who grew up in Dixie, I unfortunately understand the mentality all too well.

How am I being dishonest? Your sympathies lie with the racist murderer here.
I'm not sympathetic to him and that's what you're being dishonest about. I think he got the sentence he deserved in the criminal trial and now I think piling on an additional sentence that serves no justice based purpose whatsoever is wanton vengeance.

Back in 2009 there was a pharmacist in Tulsa that shot a guy that robbed him at gunpoint. That shoot was totally justified. However, instead of letting things be, the pharmacist stepped over the guy on the ground and shot him again. That second shooting was pure bullshit and the pharmacist got hooked up for murder. The system is doing the same thing to the guy we're talking about now. He's already effectively dead and now all of you are celebrating the fact that the DoJ stood over his corpse and, figuratively speaking, shot him again.

Pursue justice and all is well. Pursue vengeance and we've ****ed up our system.

GRRRRRRRR how dare the feds and state charged them with all the crimes they committed GRRRRRRRRRR

Watching the bigoted, nutty meltdown posts over law and order and justice being served like the system is supposed to do is hilarious!

😂🍿
I'm not being bigoted or nutty. You and all the others can feel free to cast personal aspersions all you like but doing so, like this hate crime sentence, serves no other purpose than to make you feel better about yourselves and that's just sickening.

The first case is still in the appeal process. So take that into consideration and rethink.
Again, someone that has no confidence in the verdict. What do you think is going to get this guy off? What makes you think he isn't guilty?

I'm not being bigoted or nutty. You and all the others can feel free to cast personal aspersions all you like
???? Please qoute me calling YOU bigoted or nutty, oh thats right i never did
OOOOOOOOPS another retarded triggered false narrative meltdown claim fails and gets the shit kicked out it LMAO
but doing so, like this hate crime sentence, serves no other purpose than to make you feel better about yourselves and that's just sickening.
GRRRRRRRR how dare the feds and state charge them with all the crimes they committed GRRRRRRRRRR

Last edited:
Lynch mobs absolutely do not need a valid reason to murder someone.

They saw a black guy in "their" neighborhood and just decided he was a criminal who had to be stopped.
I'm not sympathetic to him and that's what you're being dishonest about. I think he got the sentence he deserved in the criminal trial and now I think piling on an additional sentence that serves no justice based purpose whatsoever is wanton vengeance.

Back in 2009 there was a pharmacist in Tulsa that shot a guy that robbed him at gunpoint. That shoot was totally justified. However, instead of letting things be, the pharmacist stepped over the guy on the ground and shot him again. That second shooting was pure bullshit and the pharmacist got hooked up for murder. The system is doing the same thing to the guy we're talking about now. He's already effectively dead and now all of you are celebrating the fact that the DoJ stood over his corpse and, figuratively speaking, shot him again.

Pursue justice and all is well. Pursue vengeance and we've ****ed up our system.
Celebrations aside, there are often dual justice tracks, state and federal, when offenses are alleged. Someone pointed out that should the state conviction be overturned, the federal charges could see that justice is done. And one can be satisfied with the defendants fate, but still be sad that someone faces decades in prison.

Celebrations aside, there are often dual justice tracks, state and federal, when offenses are alleged. Someone pointed out that should the state conviction be overturned, the federal charges could see that justice is done. And one can be satisfied with the defendants fate, but still be sad that someone faces decades in prison.
This isn't "dual justice". It's grave dancing but that's the way left wingers think. Lefties don't perceive "justice" unless someone they view as "their enemy" gets crushed, ground to dust and then pissed on.

This isn't "dual justice". It's grave dancing but that's the way left wingers think. Lefties don't perceive "justice" unless someone they view as "their enemy" gets crushed, ground to dust and then pissed on.
More victimhood from you.

Again, someone that has no confidence in the verdict.
I did not state or imply anything of the sort. This is you propping up a little dollie for yourself to play with. Zzzzzzz

Back
Top Bottom