• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man who shot Ahmaud Arbery gets life sentence for hate crime

Hope his lawyer can get him protection in prison.

Otherwise, the life sentence amounts to a death sentence, which most liberals abhor.
Oh well you should be pleased, after all don't the folks on the right want criminals punished? He's a convicted criminal in with other criminals, get over it.

That's awesome!!! Now he gets a life sentence added to his life sentence. He'll be double dead before he gets out of jail. We can't have racists ever be too dead to protect us from their hatred.

Seriously, this is so stupid. Why do people get excited about adding a sentence to a guy that's already in jail for life? What benefit is there to society by doing this crap?
It's just satisfying, that's all.

This may have been published already so forgive my asking, but what were these morons thinking? Did they say or try to explain why they chased him down to begin with? Usually when a lynch mob forms they at least have a crime or report of a crime and a suspect as a starting point.

Even the death penalty doesn't stop murders. Go ahead and rub one out over this but it doesn't change a damned thing. The ONLY reason for crap like this is to make idiots feel better about themselves.
Works for me.

It's both good and bad news.

The good news is he's guilty.

The bad news is that he gets to serve his time in a fed prison, which is better than a state one.

He will only serve in federal if Georgia Corrections permits it, which so far they haven't.

These guys each thought of themselves as "a good guy with a gun".

Now they are convicted racist murderers.

Walked? No. He was already sentenced to life in the criminal trial. Now he's getting another life sentence in the "hate crime" trial.
If I'm not mistaken, the first trial was in state court. The second trial is due to federal statute and, thus, in federal court. Not the same prosecutors, the same judges, the same law. So, a separate sentence.

This may have been published already so forgive my asking, but what were these morons thinking? Did they say or try to explain why they chased him down to begin with? Usually when a lynch mob forms they at least have a crime or report of a crime and a suspect as a starting point.
He took a pee in a vacant building, I think. I don’t really know if that’s true.

That's awesome!!! Now he gets a life sentence added to his life sentence. He'll be double dead before he gets out of jail. We can't have racists ever be too dead to protect us from their hatred.

Seriously, this is so stupid. Why do people get excited about adding a sentence to a guy that's already in jail for life? What benefit is there to society by doing this crap?

Perhaps to prevent a governor's pardon from allowing him to escape justice.

Why do people get excited about adding a sentence to a guy that's already in jail for life? What benefit is there to society by doing this crap?

While it may not matter a lot to you and I, I'd wager the Arbery family takes some small satisfaction from a federal hate crime conviction and whatever sentence it brings.

Good enough for me.

Perhaps to prevent a governor's pardon from allowing him to escape justice.
I'm pretty sure that GA doesn't allow the governor to pardon. I think they have a board that covers pardons and that you can't even apply for a pardon until 5 years after you complete your sentence. In this guy's case he'll be dead twice before he can apply for a pardon but we have to protect the general public, don't we!

If I'm not mistaken, the first trial was in state court. The second trial is due to federal statute and, thus, in federal court. Not the same prosecutors, the same judges, the same law. So, a separate sentence.
It's the same criminal so what benefit does ANYBODY get out of this conviction?

While it may not matter a lot to you and I, I'd wager the Arbery family takes some small satisfaction from a federal hate crime conviction and whatever sentence it brings.

Good enough for me.
Like I said earlier, the only reason to do this is to make people happy. That isn't justice. That's vengeance.

Like I said earlier, the only reason to do this is to make people happy. That isn't justice. That's vengeance.

Let's hope the example makes the next Zimmerman or McMichaels think twice before they create a tragedy out of nothing.

These guys each thought of themselves as "a good guy with a gun".

Now they are convicted racist murderers.
Not much separates a good guy with gun from murderer. A twitch of the finger, throw in racism & you got a new member of the Arian Brotherhood on the block.

He was guilty of a hate crime, in addition to state offenses. He was convicted of hate crime (the federal charge) in federal court and the state charges (in state court.)

THAT IS JUSTICE.

Do you have a point? They are not gonna keep his body for a 2nd life term. He get out when he dies with one or 10 life terms. But if a court finds an error on appeal in one trial, he still has the other life sentence. It's what is called prosecuting "To the fullest extent of the law".
This is the ONLY reason I can think of to have a Federal hate crime law. Even here, under the doctrine of "separate sovereigns", the Feds could also just prosecute him for murder.

IF I WERE KING, and could draw the homicide statutes from scratch:

All Intentional killings would be presumptively capital offenses.

Provocation would be an Affirmative Defense, to be proven by the Defendant.

In the absence of proof of Any provocation, the death sentence would be automatic.

If Enough provocation were proven, the offense would be reduced by the extent of the provocation, perhaps even to Justifiable Homicide.

In self defense cases, the attack would be the provocation resulting in justifiable homicide, where a reasonable man would defend himself under the circumstances and "detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an upraised knife."

Provocation would have to be something that would provoke the "Reasonable Man", not a bigoted Peckerwood. Thus, race, religion etc would never be considered as provocation.

How say the rest of you?

Back
Top Bottom