• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Man Says Cocaine In His Ass Isn’t His

Does this mean next time I smoke a little bud i gotta worry it came outta someones ass? Now that I think about it, I wondered why the green smelled a little foul last time...

Just like any profession, there are bad apples in the police force. The cops who racially profile people will do so regardless of their race. It's going to be about their perceptions of what the person is up to. A cop who thinks a black man in a white neighborhood is up to no good will also think a white man in a black neighborhood is up to no good.
And, Sadly, 90% of the time that police engage in activity that one thinks is "OMFG RACIST PROFILING" they are ACTUALLY doing it because some scared racist white person in his nice 3/4 million dollar home called 911 to have the Police check on "duh black man" walking around his neighborhood.

Thats what gets me about people accusing the police for racism with little to no information on what exactly is going on, or why the police could be stopping a particular person.

Are there Racist cops? Sure, there are racist everyone from McDonalds Workers, to Politicians, to Lawyers, to Civil Rights Workers, to Judges, and yes, Cops as well. Ain't nothing going to change that anytime soon.

At the same time, could the fine U.S. citizens be a little too focused on race when dealing with the police all because of media dramatization and sensationalism? Absolutely. Could folks be looking for an excuse and/or reason to put blame on the police officer instead of themselves? Absolutely.

Could some Police Officers do a much better job of talking to people in one of these here "Minority in my Neighborhood" 911 calls they receive by playing it cool with someone instead of treating them like a suspect from the start? Absolutely.

And... for the love of god.... can someone please inform a certain part of the black community that EVERYONE is black going down the road at 65mph at 2am? And that Radar units don't detect the race of the driver?

And, Sadly, 90% of the time that police engage in activity that one thinks is "OMFG RACIST PROFILING" they are ACTUALLY doing it because some scared racist white person in his nice 3/4 million dollar home called 911 to have the Police check on "duh black man" walking around his neighborhood.

I don't disagree with that. The 10% (it's probably even less) of the time is still a problem, though. Those times should not be discounted simply because of the times when it isn't.

Thats what gets me about people accusing the police for racism with little to no information on what exactly is going on, or why the police could be stopping a particular person.

Frivolous accusations are almost as bad as the actual instances.

Are there Racist cops? Sure, there are racist everyone from McDonalds Workers, to Politicians, to Lawyers, to Civil Rights Workers, to Judges, and yes, Cops as well. Ain't nothing going to change that anytime soon.

A racist McDonald's worker isn't really an issue. But racist Cops and Judges should be weeded out.

At the same time, could the fine U.S. citizens be a little too focused on race when dealing with the police all because of media dramatization and sensationalism? Absolutely. Could folks be looking for an excuse and/or reason to put blame on the police officer instead of themselves? Absolutely.

Could it be expereinces with the actual racist cops that drive thier beliefs? Absolutely.

Could some Police Officers do a much better job of talking to people in one of these here "Minority in my Neighborhood" 911 calls they receive by playing it cool with someone instead of treating them like a suspect from the start? Absolutely.

We agree on that. And what you describe is also a factor in the image issue that cops have. If people get treated like a suspect when they've done nothing wrong, they are going to feel as though something is amiss.

If the discussion goes the same way it has when I've been profiled, one doesn't need to be a detective to figure out that my race and my current location were the main factors in the stops. I can't speak for instances where a black person has been profiled, but I can speak of th einstances where I've been profiled for being a "white boy" in the wrong neighborhood.

He gave them permission. He admitted that he smokes it. That's all they needed.

I know. I'm just saying if he knew his rights and used his head he could have avoided the jail time and butt probe.

Could it be expereinces with the actual racist cops that drive thier beliefs? Absolutely.
The problem is that for many folks, actual cases of racism didn't happen. Far too often someone blames their race on an encounter with the police instead of looking at other factors. Its an excuse for many. And its far too often speculative. Could some of these incidents actually be racially based? Yes. But for many situations, racial discrimination is a factor that cannot be proven, and thus is very speculative. I don't agree with any instance of the race card being tossed out without specific details behind why a person believes that their race was the motivating factor, ESPECIALLY when the officer has a valid reason for a stop. Far too often I hear someone say, "I was stopped for Driving While Black." "He said he stopped me because my tail light was out." ... "Well, was your tail light out?" ... "Yeah, but I didn't know it was out. An' he wouldn't have done it if I was white." ...... That is an example of an unsubstantiated claim to the Driving While Black excuse. There could be many factors why such a stop was conducted. Often times police are directed to increase activity in an area that has been subject to a high level of crime, as a way of suppressing criminal activity in the area because criminals will see that police are out and active in said area. This can include stopping cars for whatever legal reason possible. Not only does it give us a tool to investigate furthur into who is in the area during the target times, but it also gives us an edge in that the actual perpetrators of said crimes will see an increase in police activity and either move on to a different area, or give up for the day.

We agree on that. And what you describe is also a factor in the image issue that cops have. If people get treated like a suspect when they've done nothing wrong, they are going to feel as though something is amiss.
And, unfortunately, we still have to treat everyone as a suspect when we deal with them. Both for safety reasons (see The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc. (ODMP) for details), and because we aren't doing our job if we are just letting people go without a minimal investigation. However this can still be accomplished without talking down to someone, or even making it feel like they are being suspected of something outside of what we either already know they have been (ie. Traffic stop for Tail light out in an area with recent criminal activity) or outside of whatever information we were given by citizen complaint to stop them for.

I know. I'm just saying if he knew his rights and used his head he could have avoided the jail time and butt probe.

Well.... With an odor of marijuana on him... I doubt it.

Odor of Marijuana = Probable cause to search via U.S. Supreme Court.

Until, of course, Marijuana is legalized....

Does this mean next time I smoke a little bud i gotta worry it came outta someones ass? Now that I think about it, I wondered why the green smelled a little foul last time...

Hey... You chose that vice, now deal with the possible consequences! (i.e. Smoking Pot that was hidden up a guy's ass).

The problem is that for many folks, actual cases of racism didn't happen.

And for too many, actual cases of racism did happen.

As I said, frivolous accusations are almost as bad as the actual instances. This is becuase it causes many people, cops especially, to point to the frivlous accusations when actual instances occur and they end up overlooking the actual isntances because of it.

And, unfortunately, we still have to treat everyone as a suspect when we deal with them. Both for safety reasons (see The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc. (ODMP) for details), and because we aren't doing our job if we are just letting people go without a minimal investigation.

One can treat everyone like a potential threat without treating them like they are a "suspect". You describe how it's done right here:

However this can still be accomplished without talking down to someone, or even making it feel like they are being suspected of something outside of what we either already know they have been (ie. Traffic stop for Tail light out in an area with recent criminal activity) or outside of whatever information we were given by citizen complaint to stop them for.

I agree wholeheartedly.

And for too many, actual cases of racism did happen.

As I said, frivolous accusations are almost as bad as the actual instances. This is becuase it causes many people, cops especially, to point to the frivlous accusations when actual instances occur and they end up overlooking the actual isntances because of it.
The point Im trying to get you to conceed is that someone saying, "I just know." isn't good enough to be considered an "actual instance" of racism. Example, Rodney King. Not a real instance of racist cops... IS a real instance of excessive force, however.

Without facts outside of speculation, one doesn't have a leg to stand on with a complaint of racism.

I wonder why the people in this thread who seem to hate cops, feel that way? Too many speeding tickets you couldn't BS your way out of?

I wonder why the people in this thread who seem to hate cops, feel that way? Too many speeding tickets you couldn't BS your way out of?

All it takes is one bad experience with a cop to put a person against them. I've had a cop give false testimony against me. I don't hate cops for that though. Actually, cops who like to use racial slurs in their off time I have witnessed more times than I have been wronged by them.

Hardly. :roll:

Please don't accuse people when you really have no idea where they're coming from, mkay?

Back
Top Bottom