• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Lost in the Walker shuffle: WI Senate unofficially flips Democrat

Karl

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
By a reported 779 votes (1.07%), a Democrat ousted a sitting Republican state senator in the Wisconsin recall election the other day, giving the Democrats a 1 vote majority in that body (previously a Republican majority).

The tally is still unofficial, but my read is that even if all the uncounted ballots went to the Republican he could not overcome the 779 vote deficiency. A recount is undecided at this stage.

If this holds up, it will make three Republican senators recalled since Walker's election (two were recalled last summer).

A Recount Of The 21st Senate District Recall? Wanggaard Undecided - Brookfield, WI Patch

Last edited:
I would think with it being less than 1,000 votes they'd want to do a recount....especially since it's just over 1%. Can't open the link right now...would you mind summarizing why they're undecided on the recount?

[...] summarizing why they're undecided on the recount?
Don't know. The article states that since the winning margin is greater than 0.5%, the loser would have to pay for the recount. He's got three days after the election is certified (it isn't yet) to file for one.

By a reported 779 votes (1.07%), a Democrat ousted a sitting Republican state senator in the Wisconsin recall election the other day, giving the Democrats a 1 vote majority in that body (previously a Republican majority).

The tally is still unofficial, but my read is that even if all the uncounted ballots went to the Republican he could not overcome the 779 vote deficiency. A recount is undecided at this stage.

If this holds up, it will make three Republican senators recalled since Walker's election (two were recalled last summer).

A Recount Of The 21st Senate District Recall? Wanggaard Undecided - Brookfield, WI Patch

The Senate will not be back in session until after the November elections anyway -- an election in which 10 Democrats and 6 Republicans are up in Senate elections.

Democrats can have this if they want, but it is hardly a win -- and the odds are slim they hang on to any symbolic majority before the WI Senate meets again anyway.

Don't know. The article states that since the winning margin is greater than 0.5%, the loser would have to pay for the recount. He's got three days after the election is certified (it isn't yet) to file for one.

Well that makes sense then...if a rule is already in place I understand the hesitation. I wasn't aware of the rule on recounts in WI.

The Senate will not be back in session until after the November elections anyway -- an election in which 10 Democrats and 6 Republicans are up in Senate elections.

Democrats can have this if they want, but it is hardly a win -- and the odds are slim they hang on to any symbolic majority before the WI Senate meets again anyway.

By then Walker should be under indictment and Kleefisch will be trying to something to tamper with the prosecution. The majority may be able to something to promote justice.

Well it certainly stops the spectre of a revenge session after the elections if the GOP suffers losses and they want to ram ring wing extremist stuff through before their control vanishes. Now that prospect has been taken off the table with this Democratic Senate win.

By then Walker should be under indictment and Kleefisch will be trying to something to tamper with the prosecution.

Keep on dreaming.

The majority may be able to something to promote justice.

They do not have the power to come back into session....so what is it you envision them doing?

Well it certainly stops the spectre of a revenge session after the elections if the GOP suffers losses and they want to ram ring wing extremist stuff through before their control vanishes. Now that prospect has been taken off the table with this Democratic Senate win.

Fair enough on the revenge session -- although I doubt that was ever really in the cards.

In terms of their "control vanishing" -- why do you think they will not regain control in the coming election?

Not really, as mentioned the legislature isn't going to meet again until after the November elections anyway. But if they did, I don't think the new dem can be seated just yet, particularly if there's a recount.

Fair enough on the revenge session -- although I doubt that was ever really in the cards.

In terms of their "control vanishing" -- why do you think they will not regain control in the coming election?

I was not predicting - only speaking of possibilities.

Not really, as mentioned the legislature isn't going to meet again until after the November elections anyway. But if they did, I don't think the new dem can be seated just yet, particularly if there's a recount.

My info says otherwise. As soon as the results are certified as official , he will be seated. November is a long ways away. I have been involved in legislative recounts and they can be finished in under a month from the time of the actual election. It is really not a complicated procedure and as simple as counting.

just found this

As long as the election results are not challenged, Lehman will likely be sworn in by the end of the month. Reid Magney, spokesman for the GAB, said it could take up to 18 days to certify the results of the election. Then the winner has up to 10 days to take the oath of office.

Last edited:
My info says otherwise. As soon as the results are certified as official , he will be seated. November is a long ways away. I have been involved in legislative recounts and they can be finished in under a month from the time of the actual election.

You could very well be correct about seating the new fellow, each state has slightly different laws concerning disputed elections. But IF there is a recount, I don't think we can bank on this one being over in the normal amount of time.

The Wisconsin legislature is up again in November, so we'll see what the Dems can actually accomplish in that time frame. My guess is that it won't make much of a difference.

The Wisconsin legislature is up again in November, so we'll see what the Dems can actually accomplish in that time frame. My guess is that it won't make much of a difference.

The purpose will NOT be to accomplish anything in the affirmative as they do not control the other house. What it does give them is the opportunity to stop any legislation from being passed in the Senate. In other words, the bleeding is stopped for now.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, it is a symbolic victory, including the two recalled Republican senators from last summer, that may give current and future politicians pause before undertaking wildly unpopular courses of action.

Koch Brothers and Rove superpacs outspent walkers opponents 8-1 ....the senate going democrat is a good very good thing it will stop walker from going to insane until wisconsins citizens wake up to what and who he really is.

I said the middle and working class were going to lose through this election cycle...then it will change big time...Americans are going to finally wake up to how the rich are "BUYING" all these elections...

Koch Brothers and Rove superpacs outspent walkers opponents 8-1 ....the senate going democrat is a good very good thing it will stop walker from going to insane until wisconsins citizens wake up to what and who he really is.

Wisconsin citizens saw him in action for two years, and then resoundingly ensured he stayed in office while facing a failed recall attempt.

I said the middle and working class were going to lose through this election cycle...then it will change big time...Americans are going to finally wake up to how the rich are "BUYING" all these elections...

All this talk about "buying" elections makes no sense. Did anyone pay you for your vote? If not, then you were not "bought". What I find so ironic (and hilarious) is that Democrats are pushing this talking point so completely, they seem to miss the point that they are basically saying if free speech is allowed in elections, they will lose.

Wisconsin citizens saw him in action for two years, and then resoundingly ensured he stayed in office while facing a failed recall attempt.

All this talk about "buying" elections makes no sense. Did anyone pay you for your vote? If not, then you were not "bought". What I find so ironic (and hilarious) is that Democrats are pushing this talking point so completely, they seem to miss the point that they are basically saying if free speech is allowed in elections, they will lose.

60% of those in the election thought that a person should only be recalled for some sort of malfeasance in office. That sort of high bar is very hard to overcome.

I work in politics. It is what I do for a living now. Anyone who does not believe that money can buy votes and elections is simply denying basic reality.

I was not predicting - only speaking of possibilities.

Well, this sets up the possibility that Democrats actually realize they lost 5 out of 6 elections the other night due to the recall issue and suddenly actually start siding with Walker.

Not predicting - only speaking of possibilities.

That speculation is about as worth while as yours

Not a lot they can do, since they're not even meeting to do anything prior to the next election. They can't stop anything Walker and the previous legislature put into place, they can't push anything new, etc.

The "Big win" that hyper partisans like haymarket is pushing is that they keep Walker from passing new legislation....something, without calling a special session which is complete speculation and guesswork that it would've happened at this point, that would've been true even if the Democrats didn't win control. So their "Big win" is that essentially the exact same results happen in terms of legislation that would've happened if they didn't take the Senate. Woah boy, get out the trumpets and start playing the fanfare, it's a big win for Democrats like Haymarket.

What this thread and the other re the Walker recall election proves is just how PATHETIC some liberals are. Good lord...you lose like whiny bitches and you WIN like whiny bitches. You campaign like whiny bitches. You vote like whiny bitches. Holy ****...what a bunch of whiny bitches.

Well, this sets up the possibility that Democrats actually realize they lost 5 out of 6 elections the other night due to the recall issue and suddenly actually start siding with Walker.

Not predicting - only speaking of possibilities.

That speculation is about as worth while as yours

Heres another possiblility and the only one that will work for Democrats...its the agenda they had they made them the democrat party....they MUST get back to being the Working persons party. They have to stop all the extraneous special interest ideals that most of the country arent concerned with. They are concerned with survival. The middleclass isnt thriving as they once were, the middleclass is becoming extinct and those middleclass workers arent very concerned with every small groups...I WANTS...the democrat party cannot lose small pockets of votes over small issues that translate into lost elections for them. If they continue down this road the conservatives are going to be the ruling party for decades.
Im not saying that those small issues should be abandoned, Im saying that they cannot be the main issues in campaigns that make for lost elections

Last edited:

The only thing that will make a difference is going to take the rest of this election cycle up until the next for the people to grasp. That is that the working class that have rallied with the corporate interests bought and paid for by the Kock bros and superpacs and come to the realization...HEY, I got screwed, I got NONE of this prosperity they were talking about...all I got was everything that was left taking off me and given to the rich...then and only then will it will turn around
Theres too many working class americans voting with the Rich for a variety of reasons....alot of which is the far left progressive agenda that is all about never shut up just constantly break everyones balls until they gimme what I WANT...that has failed bigtime...the middleclass does not have any more guilty consciences and are worried about their own survival.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom