• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Liberals dare Trump to back their bills lowering drug prices

importing drugs from canada and letting competition take control is capitalist. Regulating prices is not.

Great. None of these three pieces of legislation directly regulate prices.

They (1) allow for drug importation (Trump campaigned on this), (2) allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices (Trump campaigned on this), and (3) allow for more generics competition for high-priced drugs.

What about the ****ing economy? Or, the ****ing employees?

I swear, you Leftists are so ****ing willing to cut your nose off to spite your face.

Do y'all EVER think anything through?

Yes.

But you do not.

You process through a specific set of lenses and DO NOT consider ANY aspect not included in the media you consume.

Which leaves YUGE voids in your positions.

To the point where you are defending rapacious drug prices.

Simply repeating what you've heard elsewhere.

Where are you not defending my right to enjoy access to foreign markets? American businesses do. That's what trade agreements are about.

My asthma inhalers cost $5-6 each just across the border in Mexico. They cost $50 each here in the states. Same exact thing with a Spanish label.

That's about ten times, for the mathematically challenged.

And that cannot he explained by the approval process.

These are OLD drugs, patented decades ago. Costs to bring to market have been recouped years (decades?) ago.

Do you have any idea how foolish you look, preening about like you have "won" somehow here?

Great. None of these three pieces of legislation directly regulate prices.

They (1) allow for drug importation (Trump campaigned on this), (2) allow Medicare to negotiate drug prices (Trump campaigned on this), and (3) allow for more generics competition for high-priced drugs.

It doesn't matter if Mr. Trump campaigned on them or not and it doesn't matter if the effect is to increase competition in the capitalist marketplace, the legislation didn't come from a Republican so that means that no Republican could possibly vote in favour of it REGARDLESS of whether they would vote in favour of it if it had come from a Republican.

[NOTE - The same would apply in reverse.]

Yes.

But you do not.

You process through a specific set of lenses and DO NOT consider ANY aspect not included in the media you consume.

Where are you not defending my right to enjoy access to foreign markets? American businesses do. That's what trade agreements are about.

My asthma inhalers cost $5-6 each just across the border in Mexico. They cost $50 each here in the states. Same exact thing with a Spanish label.

These are OLD drugs, patented decades ago. Costs to bring to market have been recouped years (decades?) ago.

Do you have any idea how foolish you look, preening about like you have "won" somehow here?

Federal worker forced to ration insulin because of government shutdown

"Humolog Quick pens - pack of five was five hundred dollars in the states and over here it's 75 dollars Canadian. And right now the American dollar is very strong. It's like 35 percent savings. On top of the 75 dollars."

Admittedly the second is slightly dated but the differential (accounting for the exchange rate) of around 9 :: 1 is still about the same.

Strangely enough, the drug companies are actually making a profit when they sell their insulin in Canada at about 11.11% of the US price. Now, what does that tell us?

Let's be really tough on the drug companies and assume that they are making a 9.9% profit on the Canadian insulin, that means that anything over 10% of the US price is profit. When the drug companies sell the insulin in the US for the US prices, that would appear to mean that anything over __[fill in the blank]__ of the US price is profit, and, if that is the case then __[fill in the blank]__ would be profit - wouldn't it?

PS - The drug companies don't take out a lot of TV, billboard, or print, ads touting the benefits of their brand of Insulin over those of their competitors - at least not to my knowledge. Or do they?

Yes.

But you do not.

It has everything to do with the cost of R&D.

It has everything to do with the cost of R&D.

For a period of time that is true.

But not for decades.

Not for the $500 insulin that's $75 in Canada.

You do realize these drugs are the same in Canada and the states, right.

Brand names here and there are almost certainly made the same way in the same factory. The only difference is the price tag.

And 9-10 times the cost elsewhere is NOT explained by r&d. R&d is part of that "risk" that makes capital gains taxes lower than income taxes.

For a period of time that is true.

But not for decades.

Not for the $500 insulin that's $75 in Canada.

You do realize these drugs are the same in Canada and the states, right.

Brand names here and there are almost certainly made the same way in the same factory. The only difference is the price tag.

And 9-10 times the cost elsewhere is NOT explained by r&d. R&d is part of that "risk" that makes capital gains taxes lower than income taxes.

There are taxes, fees, operating costs, etc.

Businesses don't run for free.

Keep believing that importing drugs from Canada is going to do the trick, without streamlining our own system.

You said...

I'm asking for a link listing all the drugs that get imported from Canada.

...you mean the ones it's not currently legal to import? You want a list of drugs that get imported when its not legal to import them?

Let me help you out here:
it's the same drugs that are currently sold here. However, Canadians pay a lot less for them. So, you could re-import them from Canada at a lower cost. That's what we want people to be able to do.

Feel like insulin's been paid for dude.

Yeah. Produce your own brand of insulin and see if you can sell it without FDA clearance.

Yeah. Produce your own brand of insulin and see if you can sell it without FDA clearance.

Without FDA clearance? That's quite the leap.

You have to have the insulin you produce approved by the FDA.

Yeah, but it's not like this is some unknown substance with unknown effects to test.

Yeah, but it's not like this is some unknown substance with unknown effects to test.

Irrelevant. It has to go through the same approval testing as a brand new drug.

Yeah, believe they don't. :lamo

Use your own link for proof that we're talking about the same drugs already manufactured here.

Use your own link for proof that we're talking about the same drugs already manufactured here.

I led you to the water. I can't make you drink it.

Here's a perfect example.

You think insulin isn’t currently sold in the US, I don’t know what to tell you.

The major costs on a medicine is generally in the original R&D, which is very often underwritten by the tax payers.

The cost per unit on a commodity like insulin is minuscule and the profit margins are massive.

Effectively, we are paying Big Pharma to rip us off and removing incentive to find new medicines, because they can just jack up the prices on the old stuff, why bother innovating? Certainly not unless they are heavily subsidized.

Anything else is too much work and risk. Why bother when you've already been handed a golden goose?

What an interesting link.

<sarc>I had an absolutely overwhelming need to read about "Safely Soothing Teething Pain and Sensory Needs in Babies and Older Children".</sarc>

Oh well, everyone is most interested in the things appropriate to their own age group I suppose.

Possibly you actually meant to link to "What Is the Approval Process for Generic Drugs?".

Possibly you didn't notice that there is no requirement for "clinical trials" (or even proving that the drug does what is is supposed to do) for "generic drugs".

On the other hand, there are some people who think that "has to be approved by the FDA" means exactly the same thing regardless of what it is that they are talking about.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom