• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let's consolidate invaild pro-gun arguments

Very poor analogy; prisoners forfeit their rights by violating existing laws....comparing them to law abiding firearms owners is a non starter.
I'm not comparing them.

On this I agree. I frequently respond to questions about why we "need" this or that kind of gun by pointing out that "need" is irrelevant. And then I sometimes give examples of several things we definitely don't need, that are a lot more dangerous than the kinds of firearms under discussion, and that those people undoubtedly would defend their right to own just as strongly as I would defend our right to own AR15s and similar firearms.

I think that is the strongest argument. I focus less on why we "need" access to firearms, and more on why we would "need" to take away that freedom. While there may not be a need for the civilian freedom to own and operate firearms, there is certainly no need to outlaw that freedom if there are other objectively more deadly freedoms that do not need to be outlawed.

The fallacy of gun laws

Who follows them? Why only the law abiding citizens

Who does more restrictive gun laws impact? Why the law abiding citizens.

Why don't we just enforce the laws we have.

Virtually everyone who deals in drugs or drug money has at least a handgun. Stash houses and laboratories are arsenals.”

One out of every four individuals arrested on illegal drug charges reports having carried a firearm all or most of the time during the course of his or her drug involvement.

7 Similarly, nearly one-quarter of those individuals arrested on weapons charges report having been under the influence of illicit drugs at the time of their arrest.

8 Approximately onehalf of state inmates incarcerated on firearms charges indicated they carried a firearm to scare others, while two-fifths indicated they used a firearm to defend themselves and approximately one-fifth used a firearm to “get away.”

9 Drugs and firearms are linked in many identifiable ways:
• The illegal drug trade is traditionally regulated by firearms violence;
• Firearms are used to protect shipments, intimidate competitors, collect or enforce debts, maintain turf, resolve disputes, silence informants and to reward subordinates;
• Illegal drug purchasers use firearms as protection during drug transactions;
• Illegal drug users commit crimes, often facilitated by firearms, to obtain funds to buy drugs;
• Illegal drug users commit crimes facilitated by firearms while under the influence of drugs;
• Illegal drugs and firearms are often exchanged as currency— firearms for drugs and drugs for firearms; and
• Illegal drugs and firearms are frequently trafficked along the same routes and by the same individuals.
The plan to just enforce the laws we have does not work.in any state in the union with lax gun.laws

By far the majority of the gun crime is drug/gang related. Most of those gang bangers already have a felony record and all of them are armed.

The cops know where the drugs and the gangs are. They know many of them by name. For some reason they don't even bother to lock them up..

But if one of us law abiding citizens got caught carrying an illegal firearm they would put us under the jail.

We don't need more gun laws until they enforce the ones we have

By far the majority of the gun crime is drug/gang related. Most of those gang bangers already have a felony record and all of them are armed.

The cops know where the drugs and the gangs are. They know many of them by name. For some reason they don't even bother to lock them up..

But if one of us law abiding citizens got caught carrying an illegal firearm they would put us under the jail.

We don't need more gun laws until they enforce the ones we have
For some reason. Think about that for just a minute

https://debatepolitics.com/goto/post?id=1073004927
In fact #1 post latter half you said that.
There's no comparison. If you disagree, quote the (minimum amount of) words I used and show the supposed comparison.

"Everybody knows" that some people default to "... the right to bear arms shall not be infringed." There are no absolute rights. The absolutist interpretation of the 2A is infringed is infringed upon. Tell your buddies to stop using that bogus argument.

Last edited:
There's no comparison. If you disagree, quote the (minimum amount of) words I used and show the supposed comparison.

"Everybody knows" that some people default to "... the right to bear arms shall not be infringed." There are no absolute rights. The absolutist interpretation of the 2A is infringed is infringed upon. Tell your buddies to stop using that bogus argument.
Partly true, but if a Right can be taken away it is not a Right, it is a Previledge. Do we have Bill of Previledges?

Not from Leftist gun owners. They'll be first in line to turn their shit in.
BS as usual, you really have no clue who Leftist are. I imagine you think they are all a bunch of Hippie types and rioters, you have Zero clue....

Partly true, but if a Right can be taken away it is not a Right, it is a Previledge. Do we have Bill of Previledges?
We have what's called a Bill of Rights. All of those rights can be taken away, so they are not inalienable. The ultimate authority on those rights is the federal government. The federal government reserves the right to take away all of those rights, including people's freedom and lives, in this country, and any other country where they can get away with it.

What we need are a detailed and well thought-out Bill of Rights and Bill of Wrongs.

Did you know, some countries don't have a constitution?

And no one is going to make you, so stop trying to take ours.
I'm not really trying to take your peashooters. It's the federal government's guns that are the bigger concern.

Back
Top Bottom