• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Let’s Talk Predestination

There no basis in the Bible for concluding that Jehovah has foreseen all the choices a person will make in his/her life...predestination would mean His wisdom is cold/devoid of feeling...it is not...

Does this mean, though, that God has already foreseen the choices you will make in life? Some who preach the doctrine of predestination insist that the answer is yes. However, that notion actually undermines Jehovah’s wisdom, for it implies that he cannot control his ability to look into the future. To illustrate: If you had a singing voice of unparalleled beauty, would you then have no choice but to sing all the time? The notion is absurd! Likewise, Jehovah has the ability to foreknow the future, but he does not use it all the time. To do so might infringe upon our own free will, a precious gift that Jehovah will never revoke.—Deuteronomy 30:19, 20.

Worse yet, the very notion of predestination suggests that Jehovah’s wisdom is cold, devoid of heart, feeling, or compassion. But nothing could be further from the truth! The Bible teaches that Jehovah is “wise in heart.” (Job 9:4) Not that he has a literal heart, but the Bible often uses that term in connection with the innermost self, which includes motivations and feelings, such as love. So Jehovah’s wisdom, like his other qualities, is governed by love.—1 John 4:8.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102002041

There no basis in the Bible for concluding that Jehovah has foreseen all the choices a person will make in his/her life...predestination would mean His wisdom is cold/devoid of feeling...it is not...

This reasoning is not congruent. Perfect foreknowledge of what people will do does not equate to predestination. Your post and the point of the prose is based in the assumption to have perfect foreknowledge is predestination. This is incorrect.

I just opened a can of worms. Let’s discuss.

Thoughts?
—-

The words translated “predestined” in the Scriptures referenced above are from the Greek word proorizo, which carries the meaning of “determining beforehand,” “ordaining,” “deciding ahead of time.” So, predestination is God determining certain things to occur ahead of time. What did God determine ahead of time? According to Romans 8:29-30, God predetermined that certain individuals would be conformed to the likeness of His Son, be called, justified, and glorified. Essentially, God predetermines that certain individuals will be saved. Numerous scriptures refer to believers in Christ being chosen (Matthew 24:22, 31; Mark 13:20, 27; Romans 8:33, 9:11, 11:5-7, 28; Ephesians 1:11; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 1 Timothy 5:21; 2 Timothy 2:10; Titus 1:1; 1 Peter 1:1-2, 2:9; 2 Peter 1:10). Predestination is the biblical doctrine that God in His sovereignty chooses certain individuals to be saved.

Unfortunately, this post suffers from clarity. What does it mean, “Predestination is the biblical doctrine that God in His sovereignty chooses certain individuals to be saved.”?

This could mean God is zapping people and upon being zapped people are saved. This could mean God has created some to be robots, preprogrammed to be saved. Such an important topic merits more carefully articulated points.

If your point is any of the aforementioned, then I’m happy to reply verses you refer to hardly supports the notion, “His sovereignty chooses certain individuals to be saved.”

29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.”

Greek foreknew: “to know beforehand.”

God had perfect foreknowledge of “those” (those= who will/wools love him (“those” refers back to a subject matter of v. 28).

For those who love God, He predestined(Greek)= “predetermined something to be/to become”; Those who love God, God predetermined they would be like Christ…where predetermined is a decision made previously…God decided previously that those who love Him would become like Christ…

This honors Christ as a “first” where it was decided long ago those who love God would be like Christ, where Christ and his attributes came first, always was, is, and is to come.

So, He then “called” to these people, sent them a seed. knowing in advance who would hear and freely respond, knowing in advance which soil is fertile for the seed to grow.

Translation of Roman’s 8:29-30: Long ago, before anyone was created, God foreknew those who would freely love Him, which includes love for the Son, and God established those who love the Son are to be given eternal life with the Father and Son.

I just opened a can of worms. Let’s discuss.

Thoughts?
—-

The words translated “predestined” in the Scriptures referenced above are from the Greek word proorizo, which carries the meaning of “determining beforehand,” “ordaining,” “deciding ahead of time.” So, predestination is God determining certain things to occur ahead of time. What did God determine ahead of time? According to Romans 8:29-30, God predetermined that certain individuals would be conformed to the likeness of His Son, be called, justified, and glorified. Essentially, God predetermines that certain individuals will be saved. Numerous scriptures refer to believers in Christ being chosen (Matthew 24:22, 31; Mark 13:20, 27; Romans 8:33, 9:11, 11:5-7, 28; Ephesians 1:11; Colossians 3:12; 1 Thessalonians 1:4; 1 Timothy 5:21; 2 Timothy 2:10; Titus 1:1; 1 Peter 1:1-2, 2:9; 2 Peter 1:10). Predestination is the biblical doctrine that God in His sovereignty chooses certain individuals to be saved.

A Bible dictionary/Greek Bible dictionary, some research online, would demonstrate a meaning of these verses.

“22 And if those days had not been cut short, no [a]life would have been saved; but for the sake of the [b]elect those days will be cut short.”

Elect/Greek=chosen out/select. Those who love God are “chosen out” and “selected” by God for eternal life, to be made like Christ and justified by Christ. That God has chosen or selected doesn’t mean God made or caused anyone or any group to be obedient to Him, follow Him, or accept Him. There’s perhaps no better demonstration of this point than the Jews, His elect, that historically suffered deportation from their lands because of their persistent disobedience.

The rest of the verses do not support your view and since you didn’t bother to post the verses, and provide an analysis showing they support your view, there’s no need for me to take more time doing what you should have.

Maybe you could argue as to how the verses support your view.

Rotflmao!

You? You, look down on someone who likely posts a more reasoned post than you? Lol

Cool post. Way fun post. 🤡
There's nothing reasonable about the sadistic belief that most people are created with the explicit purpose of being tortured for eternity.

If you're capable of forming some kind of opinion or position, do it, otherwise run along and let the grownups talk.

It's possibly the most sadistic and immoral theistic concept anyone has ever dreamt up. Someone that believes that believes that god created billions of people for the explicit and intentional purpose of eternal damnnation and torture.

There's nothing that person can do to change his hellish destiny, so free will, morality, and everything else become meaningless. This is really the scummiest gutter of theology and I pity and look down on anyone that actually believes that.
But god loves us...................

But god loves us...................
And some people love Him enough to see through the smoke and mirrors of false religion, to the truth of a loving and merciful God who would never do such a sadistic thing...only man could come up with such wickedness...

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all...Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." Ecclesiastes 9:5,10

"They have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’" Jeremiah 7:31

And some people love Him enough to see through the smoke and mirrors of false religion, to the truth of a loving and merciful God who would never do such a sadistic thing...only man could come up with such wickedness...

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all...Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going." Ecclesiastes 9:5,10

"They have built the high places of Topheth, which is in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, in order to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire, something that I had not commanded and that had never even come into my heart.’" Jeremiah 7:31
Such as the men who wrote the JW bible and who created the idea of religion? Or are they prefect and the problem is the men who wrote other bibles and who populate every other religion but yours............

Such as the men who wrote the JW bible and who created the idea of religion? Or are they prefect and the problem is the men who wrote other bibles and who populate every other religion but yours............
Deflection noted...

Deflection noted...
I asked a logical question. You seems to be supporting a No True Scotsman Fallacy that every religion but yours is wrong.

I asked a logical question. You seems to be supporting a No True Scotsman Fallacy that every religion but yours is wrong.
Yeah...true Christians who do what God says would be your reason to stop hating, huh?

Yeah...true Christians who do what God says would be your reason to stop hating, huh?
There are 100 different claims as to what god says because the bible is the work of man. It didn't fall out of the sky. If you ask 200 protestant preachers you would get 150 different claims.

There are 100 different claims as to what god says because the bible is the work of man. It didn't fall out of the sky. If you ask 200 protestant preachers you would get 150 different claims.
Yet, you ask 200 Jehovah's Witnesses the same question, you'll get the same answer...

Yet, you ask 200 Jehovah's Witnesses the same question, you'll get the same answer...
I would be surprised if it was anything different because they are members of the JW church. It would be a consistent answer if they were 200 Catholics, 200 Baptists, or 200 Methodists.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if it was anything different because they are members of the JW church. It would be a consistent answer if they were 200 Catholics, 200 Baptists, or 200 Methodists.

Um, why are you contradicting yourself? Make up your mind...

If you ask 200 protestant preachers you would get 150 different claims.

Can't help but add a comment on your current sig.
The New Earth will be a lot better than the garden of Eden.
Jesus isn't going to be handing the kingdom to His Father.

In the New Earth -

GOD Himself - whom the world had known by the name of JESUS - WILL DWELL WITH HIS PEOPLE.

Rev 21

A New Heaven and a New Earth

21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.
2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.
3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.
4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life.
7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

It is done, indeed - as in, "it is finished." The Lamb had been sacrificed.

22 I did not see a temple in the city, because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.
23 The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp.
24 The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it.
25 On no day will its gates ever be shut, for there will be no night there.
26 The glory and honor of the nations will be brought into it.
27 Nothing impure will ever enter it, nor will anyone who does what is shameful or deceitful, but only those whose names are written in
the Lamb’s book of life.

Last edited:
GOD WILL DWELL WITH HIS PEOPLE.
Which was the case with Adam and Eve until they disobeyed...let's hope we've learned from them...

Which was the case with Adam and Eve until they disobeyed...let's hope we've learned from them...

Nothing in the Scripture had said anything about God dwelling in Eden with them.
Eden was not Heaven - which is the abode of God.

If God is everywhere - then, in a way He was with Adam and Eve.
But, I don't think that's the kind of "dwelling" with man, that's been described in the Book of Revelation.

Last edited:
Nothing in the Scripture had said anything about God dwelling in Eden with them.
Eden was not Heaven - which is the abode of God.
lol...God will not literally dwell on the earth, ever...

"As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah,
But the earth he has given to the sons of men." Psalm 115:16

Jehovah spoke directly to Adam...you cannot get any more up close and personal than that...

lol...God will not literally dwell on the earth, ever...

Therefore, you're saying the Book of Revelation is not reliable?

"As for the heavens, they belong to Jehovah,
But the earth he has given to the sons of men." Psalm 115:16

That's the old earth.
We're talking about the NEW EARTH!

Jehovah spoke directly to Adam...you cannot get any more up close and personal than that...

He spoke directly to Abraham too! To Sarah! To Moses! To Jacob!
To those who heard Him at the baptism of Jesus Christ!

He appeared and spoke to Isaac!

Genesis 26

God's Promise to Isaac

26 Now there was a famine in the land, besides the former famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Gerar to Abimelech king of the Philistines.
2 And the Lord appeared to him and said, “Do not go down to Egypt; dwell in the land of which I shall tell you.
3 Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father.

Last edited:
Therefore, you're saying the Book of Revelation is not reliable?

That's the old earth.
We're talking about the NEW EARTH!

He spoke directly to Abraham too! To Sarah! To Moses!
To those who heard Him at the baptism of Jesus Christ!
No, it's very reliable...you just don't understand it...Jehovah God will dwell, not personally, but representatively with mankind as he deals with us through “the Lamb of God,” who is also our great High Priest...

Did He literally reside with them in Exodus 25:8?

"They are to make a sanctuary for me, and I will reside among them."

No...He directed them and cared for them personally...they were His people...just as we will be again...

No, it's very reliable...you just don't understand it...Jehovah God will dwell, not personally, but representatively with mankind as he deals with us through “the Lamb of God,” who is also our great High Priest...

....Except that the One who was being quoted in Revelation 2 is Jesus Christ!
He is the One revealing things in the Book of Revelation.

Did He literally reside with them in Exodus 25:8?

Can we really see God cramped inside the tabernacle? 😁
God is Spirit. :)

"They are to make a sanctuary for me, and I will reside among them."

No...He directed them and cared for them personally...they were His people...just as we will be again...

The only reason I gave those examples was because you gave speaking to Adam and Eve as your evidence that God resided with them.
Just because God spoke to them doesn't mean He's actually residing with them. We don't know for certain because it was not clearly stated.

The fact that Book of Revelations had announced that God will dwell with His people, is evidence that God dwelling with people, had never happened before!
How it's going to be - I don't know. It's not given in details.
It's kinda more personal though - the way it is described in revelation.

....Except that the One who was being quoted in Revelation 2 is Jesus Christ!
He is the One revealing things in the Book of Revelation.

Can we really see God cramped inside the tabernacle? 😁
God is Spirit. :)

The only reason I gave those examples was because you gave speaking to Adam and Eve as your evidence that God resided with them.
Just because God spoke to them doesn't mean He's actually residing with them. We don't know for certain because it was not clearly stated.

The fact that Book of Revelations had announced that God will dwell with His people, is evidence that God dwelling with people, had never happened before!
How it's going to be - I don't know. It's not given in details.
It's kinda more personal though - the way it is described in revelation.
Well, thank you for being cordial...I appreciate that...as for the rest, I guess we'll just have to wait and see...we just have to make sure we will be there to experience it...

God chooses us

John 6:44, 65 The New King James Version (NKJV)​

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at thelast day.

65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

God chooses us

John 6:44, 65 The New King James Version (NKJV)​

44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at thelast day.

65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”
Could it not be said that God draws those who are willing to be drawn/rightly disposed?

• draws him: Although the Greek verb for “draw” is used in reference to hauling in a net of fish (Joh 21:6, 11), it does not suggest that God drags people against their will. This verb can also mean “to attract,” and Jesus’ statement may allude to Jer 31:3, where Jehovah said to his ancient people: “I have drawn you to me with loyal love.” (The Septuagint uses the same Greek verb here.) Joh 12:32 (see study note) shows that in a similar way, Jesus draws men of all sorts to himself. The Scriptures show that Jehovah has given humans free will. Everyone has a choice when it comes to serving Him. (De 30:19, 20) God gently draws to himself those who have a heart that is rightly disposed. (Ps 11:5; Pr 21:2; Ac 13:48) Jehovah does so through the Bible’s message and through his holy spirit. The prophecy from Isa 54:13, quoted in Joh 6:45, applies to those who are drawn by the Father.—Compare Joh 6:65.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/b/r1/lp-e/nwtsty/43/6#s=44&study=discover

Back
Top Bottom