• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Ginsburg to retire in January 2019?

Think hard and well about how we got here....this is important.

I think if Trump ends up getting to replace Ginsburg, the need to reelect him for many of the But Judges folks will subside a bit. It would be interesting (and ironic) if one of his most influential and lasting power moves as POTUS undercuts his ability to stay there.

This is literally my worst fear. I lost my parents before my sons were born and they missed so much. I can't and don't want to imagine them growing up without their mother's influence and love.

I know you said it's not required, but you still have my condolences. I wish you and your children didn't have to suffer that loss.

TY and mine in return for your and your kids' loss.

To be sure, losing one's spouse or parent is never easy, and no matter knowing such is proximately imminent and being prepared, so one thinks, one isn't ever ready for it to happen.

I suppose, as with everything else, one has to look for the bright sides in order to move past the travail. In my family's case, the "bright side" is that my oldest kids (I have four) learned emotional resilience at very young ages, and all of them have benefitted from having multiple "mother figures" in their lives, thus obtaining a wide variety of outlooks, approaches, etc. to making their way through maturation and discovering who they are as individuals. For myself, my wife's passing pushed me, out of financial necessity, to drive my career to levels I really never thought I could, wanted to or would. It also made me a far more involved parent than I'd, prior to her passing, thought I would be -- when we started our family, I'd envisioned myself as the present yet slightly aloof father as was my own. That unanticipated involvement brought me much closer to my kids and has given me boundless moments of joy that, had my wife lived, I may never have experienced.

Of course, in the early years after my wife died, none of us were aware of the "bright side." All we knew was that we wished she was still with us.

Last edited:
I'm a critical care paramedic and have also worked with MSF so I've seen some terrible things over time. I'm a pretty strong person but having to watch someone I adored lose his battle with Pancreatic Cancer pretty much broke me.

Disgustingly cruel disease.

It is that.

My sympathies to you.

I think if Trump ends up getting to replace Ginsburg, the need to reelect him for many of the But Judges folks will subside a bit. It would be interesting (and ironic) if one of his most influential and lasting power moves as POTUS undercuts his ability to stay there.

Trump was always a one term guy, I said that all the way back to 2015, so I dont care.

Gosh this ole gal is a fighter for sure. But if any of this speculation is true, at her age it isn't a good ending.
Look she is still living and breathing. She is a member of the Supreme Court. I would be careful of speculating anything beyond that.

TY and mine in return for your and your kids' loss.

To be sure, losing one's spouse or parent is never easy, and no matter knowing such is proximately imminent and being prepared, so one thinks, one isn't ever ready for it to happen.

I suppose, as with everything else, one has to look for the bright sides in order to move past the travail. In my family's case, the "bright side" is that my oldest kids (I have four) learned emotional resilience at very ages, and all of them have benefitted from having multiple "mother figures" in their lives, thus obtaining a wide variety of outlooks, approaches, etc. to making their way through maturation and discovering who they are as individuals. For myself, my wife's passing pushed me, out of financial necessity, to drive my career to levels I really never thought I could, wanted to or would. It also made me a far more involved parent than I'd, prior to her passing, thought I would be -- when we started our family, I'd envisioned myself as the present yet slightly aloof father as was my own. That unanticipated involvement brought me much closer to my kids and has given me boundless moments of joy that, had my wife lived, I may never have experienced.

Of course, in the early years after my wife died, none of us were aware of the "bright side." All we knew was that we wished she was still with us.

I don't want to hijack the thread and keep going, but let me say you are an exceptional person and your children are very lucky. To handle tragedy with such grace and come out of it with any positive is truly impressive. I'm glad that you were able to be close to your children and that you were able to find solidarity with them in that challenge.

Best wishes to all of you!

Saw someone claim this on FB and it appears there is some support for this claim

https://www.smobserved.com/story/20...he-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

has anyone else seen anything about this? it suggests yet another cancer has resurfaced with the Justice-who has fought colon and pancreatic cancer

I was a little worried after breaking her ribs, some kind of shock to her system may trigger something.
I am not any kind of medical professional, but even a young athlete at their peak can get knocked for a loop with three broken ribs.
I pray this is just a rumor.

Unfortunately, if some members here can't PERSONALLY resist politicizing the complete destruction of a California town and all the resulting deaths, you just know they will be saying all kinds of bad things about her if this story is determined to be a fact.

Some have no moral compass at all and blame everyone else that it is broken.

I don't want to hijack the thread and keep going, but let me say you are an exceptional person and your children are very lucky. To handle tragedy with such grace and come out of it with any positive is truly impressive. I'm glad that you were able to be close to your children and that you were able to find solidarity with them in that challenge.

Thank you.

Saw someone claim this on FB and it appears there is some support for this claim

https://www.smobserved.com/story/20...he-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

has anyone else seen anything about this? it suggests yet another cancer has resurfaced with the Justice-who has fought colon and pancreatic cancer

Even if it were true, I doubt she would resign. As far as I know no one can make her (and she won't be impeached). So if this turns out to be true, expect two years of 8 working and voting justices, the 9th being on medical leave.

Beautifully said.

Oh cut the crap. You trump supporters are absolutely delighted that RBG might have cancer and will be forced to retire. Oh well at least RBG has a legitimate reason to retire - her health. The last supreme court justice who 'retired' did it because his son was complicit with trump's corruption.

David Souter had an exit plan. So did John Paul Stevens.

If I was lucky enough to be in my late 70s, the last thing I would want to do is work full time. My real honest guess is that Ginsburg loves her job so much as a judge if she retired, she wouldn't have much of a retirement.

Her husband died in 2010 and I know many couples where if one spouse died, the other died soon after of a broken heart.

Democrats won't let her retire in the next 2 years unless she is dead. If she is in a coma the Democrats would argue she is still capable of doing her job.

They might even Weekend at Bernies it.

I don't know if I believe the story. If she had cancer, she probably wouldn't wait until January, unless they have a really light docket from now through the holidays.

Democrats won't let her retire in the next 2 years unless she is dead. If she is in a coma the Democrats would argue she is still capable of doing her job.

Holding her place against the likes of Kavanaugh … is her most important job.

Any speculating on this seems kind of macabre. I hope she does whatever's best for her.

The thread is about her retiring.

That is not macabre.

Is it speculation that she has cancer?

For an 85 year old just falling and breaking ribs could be enough for her to retire.

A fall like that kills people at that age.

Holding her place against the likes of Kavanaugh … is her most important job.

Her most important job is taking care of herself and doing what is best for HER. No one else.

I don't think the Democrats would force a sick person to continue working just to save the country from this nightmare. However I am sure all you trump supporters are delighted with the news that she might be dying. It means trump can nominate another far right white supremacist misogynist a-hole to the supreme court.
Broadbrush much, Feminazi? because I can play your childish game too. We don't need far Left whackjobs on the SCOTUS.

Is it speculation that she has cancer?

For an 85 year old just falling and breaking ribs could be enough for her to retire.

A fall like that kills people at that age.

For most 85 year-olds, yes, but she has a history of being tougher than the average person her age in those medical situations. If she calls it quits for medical reasons then my guess is it is cancer.

I don't think the Democrats would force a sick person to continue working just to save the country from this nightmare. However I am sure all you trump supporters are delighted with the news that she might be dying. It means trump can nominate another far right white supremacist misogynist a-hole to the supreme court.

Actually I don’t think he will go that route this time...

This may be crazy, but he may go moderate if he chooses another judge

I think he and his minions understand how divided this country is now....and I HOPE that they would choose a more moderate judge that both sides can live with....if RBG has to leave for medical reasons

If he tries to go to another staunch conservative, it may take us over the edge

For most 85 year-olds, yes, but she has a history of being tougher than the average person her age in those medical situations. If she calls it quits for medical reasons then my guess is it is cancer.

There is a limit to what even her body can take.

Just curious if anyone has seen this reported ANYWHERE else? Reading this article from the Santa Monica Observer, which actually calls a Supreme Court Justice the "lovechild of the left." makes me wonder why a clerk of this Justice would be whispering to such a questionable source?

Back
Top Bottom