• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Justice Ginsburg to retire in January 2019?

Just curious if anyone has seen this reported ANYWHERE else? Reading this article from the Santa Monica Observer, which actually calls a Supreme Court Justice the "lovechild of the left." makes me wonder why a clerk of this Justice would be whispering to such a questionable source?

yes, I asked at the OP if there were any other articles confirming this claim. I figured if it had much support, it would be all over the news

She will retire Jan 2021 when a Dem is sworn in as President.

Democrats won't let her retire in the next 2 years unless she is dead. If she is in a coma the Democrats would argue she is still capable of doing her job.

Like you guys did with McCain

Actually I don’t think he will go that route this time...

This may be crazy, but he may go moderate if he chooses another judge

I think he and his minions understand how divided this country is now....and I HOPE that they would choose a more moderate judge that both sides can live with....if RBG has to leave for medical reasons

If he tries to go to another staunch conservative, it may take us over the edge

Lol, Given the vindictive mentality of the President and the way Democrats treat him, do you honestly believe that he would pick anyone remotely close to moderate? He is going to continue to pick from his list of judges from the Federalist Society because he knows it is the best way to troll every single one of his detractors. Even if he were to pick someone moderate, the MSM is going to portray them as a far right white supremacist anyways.

As long as Trump is president and the senate in GOP hands, Ginsberg ain't about to retire as long as she has breath in her old body.

But according to Chief Justice Roberts, there arent left and right wing judges, they are all objective. Since that is the case, Ginsburg should step down and allow Trump to appoint an 'objective' judge in her place.

McCain's position as a Senator expires every 6 years. He never had to run if he didn't want to. IE: He WANTED to continue serving for as long as he did.

McCain seemed more interested in dying while in office to cement his legacy than in representing his state.

It would be wrong for Trump to nominate a Supreme Court judge so close to a Presidential election. There should be no nominations until after the 2020 election, I'm sure republican posters would agree, after all, this is what they were insisting on a few years ago.

But according to Chief Justice Roberts, there arent left and right wing judges, they are all objective. Since that is the case, Ginsburg should step down and allow Trump to appoint an 'objective' judge in her place.

What is objective is subjective, in the eyes of the beholder. Left and right view things differently. Contrary to what the Chief Justice said, there are liberal justices and conservatives justices. Justices that go by original intent and those who say the Constitution is a living document.

Saw someone claim this on FB and it appears there is some support for this claim

https://www.smobserved.com/story/20...he-us-supreme-court-in-january-2019/3658.html

has anyone else seen anything about this? it suggests yet another cancer has resurfaced with the Justice-who has fought colon and pancreatic cancer

He health is failing..she will likely stay on, until she dies ,however, IMHO...and, if the Lie-o-crats have anything to say about it...AFTER SHE DIES:

weekend at RBGs.jpg

He health is failing..she will likely stay on, until she dies ,however, IMHO...and, if the Lie-o-crats have anything to say about it...AFTER SHE DIES:

View attachment 67245043

its sad to smear a woman as accomplished as Justice Ginsburg by casting her alongside two complete assholes like Schumer and Pelosi

Democrats won't let her retire in the next 2 years unless she is dead. If she is in a coma the Democrats would argue she is still capable of doing her job.

"let her"?

I think she has a mind of her own.

Seriously. What is this ****????

Because some people celebrated Scalias death that somehow then makes it alright if many people started celebrating that Ruth was sick and ended up passing?

What sort of messed up logic is that? How about just have some common decency and humanity and act like a reasonable person?
The same messed up logic that makes him believe that dems won't "let her" retire.

I truly wish her the best. Cancer is a terrible disease, especially at her age. I remember the genuine grief she exhibited when her close friend and peer Anton Scalia passed away. I hope people remember the same for her.

As far as retiring next year, I suspect only she and her family know. I understand the left wanting her to stay on, but at this point, she has to do what is right for herself and her family.

I hope she is doing as well as can be expected.

For me, as an individual, its a personal preference to wait and not speculate. Makes me feel entirely too much like the political equivalent of a vulture.

We can guess and speculate. That doesn't mean one wishes ill upon her.

I'm not seeing this on any major news source.

It would be wrong for Trump to nominate a Supreme Court judge so close to a Presidential election. There should be no nominations until after the 2020 election, I'm sure republican posters would agree, after all, this is what they were insisting on a few years ago.
Nyet, Obama was denied a SCOTUS judge, and thank goodness for that.

In the article I read it said RBG had already informed ranking Democrats of her desicion months ago. This could explaine the rabbid approach democrats took in the Kavanaugh hearings

Well, wishing Ginsberg all the best, but am also glad this means another Constitutional Textualist to be nominated to SCOTUS.
I'm sure this prospect will make a lot of liberal / progressive's heads explode and fell betrayed by Ginsberg, as they typically are counting on SCOTUS to force their political and social agendas that they wouldn't possibly get through the legislature, at least so far.
(But who knows? With all the liberal / progressive indoctrinated young from the 'education system' reaching voting age)

Fasten your seat belts.

You know how Washington works, who's in control wins. And now that the Republican Senate has a 6 Senate advantage. Any Trump pick would be a shoe in.

McCain's position as a Senator expires every 6 years. He never had to run if he didn't want to. IE: He WANTED to continue serving for as long as he did.

He wasn’t capable of doing it anymore

Back
Top Bottom