• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Journalist Eva Bartlett interviews DPR Civilians on referendum to join Russia

phoenyx

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Well worth a look at for those who think that Russia forced people to vote in this referendum...

Eva's summary of the video:

Western commentators would do well to listen to them (but we know they won't). Summary:
-they waited 8 years for this
-they are tired of being bombed by Ukraine, they want peace & feel joining Russia will bring this
-they were not intimidated or forced to vote, many (like Syrians) faced potential shelling in order to do so, many volunteered in order to ensure the referendum went ahead
-they've long since given up caring what western commentators & "news" say about them (the same who whitewashed Ukraine's 8+ years of war crimes against the civilians of the Donbass).

For my commentary, see this recent interview:

Well worth a look at for those who think that Russia forced people to vote in this referendum...

Western commentators would do well to listen to them (but we know they won't). Summary:
-they are tired of being bombed by Ukraine, they want peace & feel joining Russia will bring this
-they were not intimidated or forced to vote, many (like Syrians) faced potential shelling in order to do so, many volunteered in order to ensure the referendum went ahead
-they've long since given up caring what western commentators & "news" say about them (the same who whitewashed Ukraine's 8+ years of war crimes against the civilians of the Donbass).

Another fake referendum.

This "journalist" is a paid Russian shill, and RT is a Russian government funded news organization.

So what you are doing when you repeat this stuff is nothing more than repeating lying Russian propaganda.

You can find a handful of people who will tell you anything you want to hear in any country in the world.

How would you respond to a much larger number of Ukrainian people claiming that they felt pressured into voting by armed Russian soldiers? Why do you assume they must be wrong, but the above people must be right?

That a handful of the votes cast in favor of Russia were honestly cast doesn't make the referendum fair and democratic in any way shape or form. This was a sham election held at gunpoint. Russia cannot legally annex any part of Ukraine.

This is the third time now that I'm exposing this propaganda source.....

Since April 2022, Bartlett has been in Ukraine, reporting on the Russian invasion of Ukraine from a pro-Russian perspective, frequently featuring collaborations with Russian state-owned channel Russia Today.[31] Bartlett has been frequently criticised for spreading Kremlin propaganda, and misinformation.[10] Bartlett regularly collaborates with RT propagandist Roman Kosarev, in her Donbas reports.[12]

Eva Bartlett is a Kremlin propagandist.

You can find a handful of people who will tell you anything you want to hear in any country in the world.

Not sure about that, but even if true, Eva Bartlett is hardly the only journalist who has said that the referendum was fairly done and the Eastern Ukrainians are predominantly eager to join Russia. Former American soldier and current American journalist Patrick Lancaster has done videos saying the same:

Not sure about that, but even if true, Eva Bartlett is hardly the only journalist who has said that the referendum was fairly done and the Eastern Ukrainians are predominantly eager to join Russia. Former American soldier and current American journalist Patrick Lancaster has done videos saying the same:

Yeah but the vast majority of journalists by far are saying it's a sham referendum, along with the intelligence communities of every country except Russia. Those journalists who are reporting the referendum was fairly done are statistical outliers. The more data points you have that contradict the statistical outliers, the less likely the outliers are to be correct.

You aren't having much success, I'm afraid.

That all depends on how you define success, and what you think I'm trying to achieve.

Referendums in territory occupied by foreign military are illegal.

Prove it.

I don't have to. Nobody outside of the other pro-Russians (Juin, Chicken Tendies, Antiwar, etc) has agreed with you once. Ever.

You are having absolutely zero effect, mostly because it's clear that you are 100% in the bag for Putin (you are as subtle as a chainsaw) and nobody likes his ass.

Referendums in territory occupied by foreign military are illegal.

For starters, the Donbass republics requested Russia's aid in defending itself prior to Russia starting its military operation in Ukraine. Now, I will grant that Russia has gone beyond the borders of what the Donbass republics held prior to Russia putting boots on the ground in Ukraine, but, at least in so far as the Donbass Republics' referendums, there is a difference between a country going to a place by force and going there by invitation.

Secondly, illegal according to whom? Thirdly, I don't see anyone decrying the elections held in Afghanistan or Iraq when the U.S. was occupying those countries. Forthly, the most important thing isn't that someone's law is being broken, but what is the best thing to do in a given situation. As journalist and science fiction author Frank Herbert once wrote:

"Law always chooses sides on the basis of enforcement power. Morality and legal niceties have little to do with it when the real question is: Who has the clout?"

Nice deflection. I was asking Luce to prove his assertion, let's stick to the subject.
I already answered.

Which you seem to have ignored.

Doesn't matter if true. Annexation of another country is contrary to international law.

For starters, the Donbass republics requested Russia's aid in defending itself prior to Russia starting its military operation in Ukraine. Now, I will grant that Russia has gone beyond the borders of what the Donbass republics held prior to Russia putting boots on the ground in Ukraine, but, at least in so far as the Donbass Republics' referendums, there is a difference between a country going to a place by force and going there by invitation.

Secondly, illegal according to whom? Thirdly, I don't see anyone decrying the elections held in Afghanistan or Iraq when the U.S. was occupying those countries. Forthly, the most important thing isn't that someone's law is being broken, but what is the best thing to do in a given situation. As journalist and science fiction author Frank Herbert once wrote:

"Law always chooses sides on the basis of enforcement power. Morality and legal niceties have little to do with it when the real question is: Who has the clout?"
Your premise is false. The Donbass republics did not request Russia's aid in defending itself. This is a false assertion that Putin is using to justify an invasion for territorial expansion.

They were not invited by Ukraine. If the Northwest Territories invited Russia in would Canada lose its territorial sovereignty?

Reactions: lwf
Back
Top Bottom