• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Joel Greenberg to plead guilty as lawyer says ‘Matt Gaetz is not feeling very comfortable today’

From a non-legal perspective it's always difficult to ascertain the severity of things, but there is a consensus among the legal professionals I follow on twitter, which is that Gaetz is most likely in big trouble.
Noble fellow, he's doing it for us. From his letter to his loyal followers in the far-right Washington Examiner:

Instead, CNN, the New York Times, Politico, and others are just repeating false allegations about a congressman who loathes the swamp and fights both sides of it on a daily basis.
They aren’t coming for me — they are coming for you. I’m just in the way.​
:cool:

Nope. There's no media like the rightwing media. There really is no comparison.
Which media ran point on 2+ years of Trump Russia collusion? Which pushed the bogus Charlottesville narrative? Which media had to retract the story about the call with the Georgia SecState?

You are just showing you have no ability to be objective.

Which media ran point on 2+ years of Trump Russia collusion? Which pushed the bogus Charlottesville narrative? Which media had to retract the story about the call with the Georgia SecState?
What about the Charlottesville narrative was "bogus"? Please provide details. Really. I have never heard of this. But I have heard of this: The "Charlottesville Hoax" Hoax - The Bulwark

Which story about the call with the Georgia SecState was retracted? Really. Are you saying that Trump didn't call the SecState Brad Raffensperger and badger him to throw the election? Details please.

As for Trump's collusion with Russia, as the Mueller report showed, Trump wasn't convicted of collusion only because Trump's coverup worked. To report otherwise would be dishonest.

Last edited:
What about the Charlottesville narrative was "bogus"? Please provide details. Really. I have never heard of this. But I have heard of this: The "Charlottesville Hoax" Hoax - The Bulwark

Which story about the call with the Georgia SecState was retracted? Really. Are you saying that Trump didn't call the SecState Brad Raffensperger and badger him to throw the election? Details please.

As for Trump's collusion with Russia, as the Mueller report showed, Trump wasn't convicted of collusion only because Trump's coverup worked. To report otherwise would be dishonest.
Charlottesville - he specifically condemned white supremacists and neo-nazis shortly after he made the 'very fine people' comment. It showed clearly that he was not praising neo-nazis as very fine people. Read the full transcript - this one is particularly disgusting what the media tried to do.

WaPo and CNN both put out retractions for suggesting that Trump pressured Raffensperger to 'find votes'.

Mueller report - if you seriously think Mueller had the goods and Trump somehow covered up, I am afraid all of the above will be just a waste of time too. You should look into BlueAnon.

Charlottesville - he specifically condemned white supremacists and neo-nazis shortly after he made the 'very fine people' comment. It showed clearly that he was not praising neo-nazis as very fine people. Read the full transcript - this one is particularly disgusting what the media tried to do.

WaPo and CNN both put out retractions for suggesting that Trump pressured Raffensperger to 'find votes'.

Mueller report - if you seriously think Mueller had the goods and Trump somehow covered up, I am afraid all of the above will be just a waste of time too. You should look into BlueAnon.
this post indicates a lack of aweness that the sitting president was not subject to ANY criminal indictment because of a unilaterally crafted DOJ memo excluding the sitting president from any criminal indictment

and a similar ignorance that the sitting president refused to testify under oath for that investigation

anyone know why an innocent person would avoid the opportunity to testify under oath to demonstrate their innocence?

Well, I guess this is what you have to stoop to.

This is not a retraction. In a follow-up story, they wrote:

"The Washington Post reported on the substance of Trump’s Dec. 23 call in January, describing him saying that Watson should “find the fraud” and that she would be a “national hero,” based on an account from Jordan Fuchs, the deputy secretary of state, whom Watson briefed on his comments.​
In fact, he did not use those precise words.​
Rather, Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize Fulton County, where she would find “dishonesty,” he said.​

So, "dishonesty," not "fraud." Wow. :sneaky:

what does the venmo transfer of funds do to show gaetz is guilty of anything?

... giving money to a sex trafficker and identifying the girl he is supposed to give the money to? An underage girl that was being paid for sex.

That... doesn't show anything?

is there any way that message could have been benign rather than inculpating?
not trying to be obtuse. maybe it is my age and lack of familiarity with the brief expression, but that message - of itself - does not appear to be damning. i am open to explanation why my take should be found naive/wrong

Can you identify a benign scenario in which a guy gives money to a sex trafficker to send to an underage girl that Gaetz has been having sex with?

... giving money to a sex trafficker and identifying the girl he is supposed to give the money to? An underage girl that was being paid for sex.

That... doesn't show anything?
I am viewing this from the lens of someone who presumes gaetz is innocent until proven guilty
Thus, I do not presume he knew that the person he paid via Venmo was a sex trafficker or that the ultimate payee was an under age woman who is the victim of sex trafficking

Can you identify a benign scenario in which a guy gives money to a sex trafficker to send to an underage girl that Gaetz has been having sex with?
I don’t believe it has yet been proven that gaetz knowingly engaged sexually with a minor
So, my answer to your question would be that the congressman helped the future coed with tuition costs using the Venmo system

this post indicates a lack of aweness that the sitting president was not subject to ANY criminal indictment because of a unilaterally crafted DOJ memo excluding the sitting president from any criminal indictment

and a similar ignorance that the sitting president refused to testify under oath for that investigation

anyone know why an innocent person would avoid the opportunity to testify under oath to demonstrate their innocence?
It was a witch hunt. And your ignorance in acknowledging Mueller's retraction that it was NOT because he was a sitting President that he did not pursue obstruction. Obstruction, I might add, for a crime that never existed.

Well, I guess this is what you have to stoop to.

This is not a retraction. In a follow-up story, they wrote:

"The Washington Post reported on the substance of Trump’s Dec. 23 call in January, describing him saying that Watson should “find the fraud” and that she would be a “national hero,” based on an account from Jordan Fuchs, the deputy secretary of state, whom Watson briefed on his comments.​
In fact, he did not use those precise words.​
Rather, Trump urged the investigator to scrutinize Fulton County, where she would find “dishonesty,” he said.​

So, "dishonesty," not "fraud." Wow. :sneaky:
Totally disingenuous of you. You know quite well the media ran with 'Trump pressured SoS to find fraud' when nothing of the sort happened.

Say, did you see the CNN guy admitting to them being a propaganda outfit bent on removing Trump? At what point will you finally acknowledge the media's real agenda?

It was a witch hunt. And your ignorance in acknowledging Mueller's retraction that it was NOT because he was a sitting President that he did not pursue obstruction. Obstruction, I might add, for a crime that never existed.
All of that text only to be unable to rebut my assertion
The only thing that saved Trump from indictment was that we could not prosecute a sitting president
It has been clear from the beginning that Trump is a Russian asset
It is disappointing that so many on the right would support and defend that traitor to our nation

The latest reports indicate the women where all 18 yo. Still anyone who have sex with Matt must be getting paid. No woman would do that for free.

All of that is "the media." Blaming the media for what you don't want to hear is easy and lazy. If you put the word "big" in front of it, you can make it really scary without ever having to be specific.
Big reflechissez

what does the venmo transfer of funds do to show gaetz is guilty of anything?
Really? This really isn't that hard to figure out, especially when that is not likely the only piece of evidence they have. This is a single piece of evidence, but it is a connective piece of evidence.

If your neighbor suddenly came into $50K and the next day the guy down the street was dead, but then bank records show that the dead guy's wife sent $50K to the neighbor 2 days before, that is pretty damning. It likely isn't enough to convict, but it certainly is very suspicious.

Totally disingenuous of you. You know quite well the media ran with 'Trump pressured SoS to find fraud' when nothing of the sort happened.

Say, did you see the CNN guy admitting to them being a propaganda outfit bent on removing Trump? At what point will you finally acknowledge the media's real agenda?
Totally disingenuous of you. You know quite well that Trump pressured the Georgia SoS to throw an election that Trump lost fairly and legally. Just listen to the call.

What media do you consume?

Really? This really isn't that hard to figure out, especially when that is not likely the only piece of evidence they have. This is a single piece of evidence, but it is a connective piece of evidence.

If your neighbor suddenly came into $50K and the next day the guy down the street was dead, but then bank records show that the dead guy's wife sent $50K to the neighbor 2 days before, that is pretty damning. It likely isn't enough to convict, but it certainly is very suspicious.
My point is that while it might be something, it might also be an ordinary Venmo transaction. Nothing I have seen confirms that transaction is related to illegal activity. If you have that proof please share it

Regardless of who, I would never believe 1 word a person said in exchange for a reduced sentence themselves. Most people, and certainly corrupt people, will tell any lie to avoid or reduce prison time with truth being whatever prosecutors will most reward. As soon as a person answered "yes" to being asked if they have been given anything by the prosecution or police for their testimony, I would totally ignore anything that person said or says.

My point is that while it might be something, it might also be an ordinary Venmo transaction. Nothing I have seen confirms that transaction is related to illegal activity. If you have that proof please share it
An ordinary Venmo transaction that just happens to coincide with these girls being paid by the same guy he sent the same amount of money to? That is not likely.

It is certainly possible, just as if someone who just got out of jail for a bank robbery and walked into a bank that was robbed 5 minutes later doesn't necessarily mean he is the guy who did it. But if there were officers who knew that guy and his background and had just walked into that bank 5 minutes before they got the info it was robbed, it is hard to believe they wouldn't think he is likely the one robbing the bank. Of course if the evidence shows differently when the situation is resolved, then he obviously shouldn't be charged. But it is not at all unreasonable for them to consider him a suspect.

An ordinary Venmo transaction that just happens to coincide with these girls being paid by the same guy he sent the same amount of money to? That is not likely.

It is certainly possible, just as if someone who just got out of jail for a bank robbery and walked into a bank that was robbed 5 minutes later doesn't necessarily mean he is the guy who did it. But if there were officers who knew that guy and his background and had just walked into that bank 5 minutes before they got the info it was robbed, it is hard to believe they wouldn't think he is likely the one robbing the bank. Of course if the evidence shows differently when the situation is resolved, then he obviously shouldn't be charged. But it is not at all unreasonable for them to consider him a suspect.
i dislike the guy. i hope they pin this on his fat, fratboy ass
but as you acknowledge, this could be a legitimate venmo transaction
nothing i have seen documents its certain relationship with the indicted tax collector/sex trafficker's illicit activities

i dislike the guy. i hope they pin this on his fat, fratboy ass
but as you acknowledge, this could be a legitimate venmo transaction
nothing i have seen documents its certain relationship with the indicted tax collector/sex trafficker's illicit activities
Because you are not going to get all the evidence they have prior to them putting it to trial. This is just something that was leaked, a small incriminating but not conviction worthy in itself piece of the evidence.

I'm not saying he is absolutely guilty, but this does look bad.

Say, did you see the CNN guy admitting to them being a propaganda outfit bent on removing Trump?
If I could pay a buck for every time CNN "lied" to the public, and earn a buck for every time a Republican lied to the public, I'd be a millionaire within a day.

Fact check: Trump-backed candidate for Georgia elections chief begins campaign with false claims about 2020 election
Washington (CNN)Rep. Jody Hice, a Republican, announced last week that he is running for Georgia secretary of state, the state's top elections job. His 2022 campaign was immediately endorsed by former President Donald Trump, who has repeatedly launched dishonest attacks against the Republican currently in the post, Brad Raffensperger.

And then Hice went on television and made a series of false claims about the 2020 election.

This was not new behavior. Since November, Hice has been a vocal and frequent purveyor of inaccurate election claims -- baselessly saying or insinuating that the results were tainted by mass fraud and that Joe Biden did not legitimately beat Trump in Georgia.​

I am viewing this from the lens of someone who presumes gaetz is innocent until proven guilty
Thus, I do not presume he knew that the person he paid via Venmo was a sex trafficker or that the ultimate payee was an under age woman who is the victim of sex trafficking

Ok so he paid women for sex by accident. Sure. Awesome theory.

Reactions: jpn
Back
Top Bottom