• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jewish couple challenges Tennessee law after Christian agency’s policy prevented adoption

How exactly are churches “basically parasites”? This is a curious claim.
They pull in wealth, they harm society as a whole. They're sort of humanity's collective tapeworm.

Needless to say, this wasn't always the case. The church (Orthodox and Catholic) kept civilization together through the Justinian plagues and the later great plagues, because they were the only organization with the manpower to keep administration and record-keeping going. But that was a long time ago. Now the churches don't really even produce art or culture. The old churches are hidebound, and the newer faiths are strictly a money-in proposition.
I, of course, understand the use of a pejorative. Yet, the use of a pejorative illuminates a legitimate question of objective thinking. Demonizing the Church isn’t necessary to make your point. Just as it isn’t necessary to characterize people as “Nazis” those who call churches “parasites.”
It wasn't meant as a perjorative so much as a description.

This is an accurate description of my position. I have never asserted otherwise or that this position is the current law. What I have asserted, and maintain, is that the current structure is not consistent with the Constitution and its prohibition against establishing religion.

Indeed, it is because of the current incongruous position that the court, and government in general, gets involved in parsing a lot of activity to determine if it is or is not "religious". I've been involved directly in some of this conundrum. Identifying a charitable activity is relatively simple, or at least amenable to simpler rules and regulation. Arguing about whether a particular practice is "legitimately" religiously motivated is a slippery slope, indeed. It would be much simpler, for example, to tax Joel Osteen's operation like any other corporate entity than to argue whether his 'greed creed' is a legitimate Christian theology.

That's really the point that makes my position much cleaner and respectful of the actual text of the Constitution. Moreover, it makes argument about whether the government is "prohibiting the free exercise thereof" simpler, too. (I'll note here, too, that this language is unique in that it is not about "infringing" or "abridging", but prohibiting. The Court’s current standard is far too broad for the language, and, I believe, deliberately and erroneously so.)

In the past - in European history - the Church (originally Catholic, but later Anglican and other "official" faiths) was greatly entangled with government and ecclesiastical courts operated separately from the government's, even meting out capital and truly barbarous punishment that was not subjected to government limitations.

In the new world, several colonies were specifically established to create or protect an "official" religion, importing the European structure. It was specifically to avoid just such entanglements that the First Amendment (and several provisions of the core text) was created. (It was also the impetus for the 8th Amendment). It was the framers' explicit intent that the central government be strictly secular. The language could hardly be clearer.

The 14th Amendment, by incorporation, extended that prohibition to the States. My position, frankly, is the originalist one. The Court's is a mess, and obviously so. The current majority is using their own court created ambiguities to pursue a blatantly sectarian agenda, directly contravening the text itself. The examples are legion. But, I fully expect they will continue that trammeling activity in this case, and that irks me.

It would be much simpler, for example, to tax Joel Osteen's operation like any other corporate entity than to argue whether his 'greed creed' is a legitimate Christian theology….
What I have asserted, and maintain, is that the current structure is not consistent with the Constitution and its prohibition against establishing religion.

Your derogatory characterization of Joel Osteen’s creed left no pretense that it is personally unpalatable to you.

The original meaning of the Establishment Clause prohibited tax benefits solely and exclusively to a particular religion and/or a particular religious denomination. There’s a wealth of historical evidence illuminating this meaning.

However, there isn’t much historical evidence to support a meaning of the Establishment Clause as forbidding Congress or States from exercising its taxing power to exempt entities that meet the criteria for being a charitable and/or educational and/or religious purposes in which tax exemption extends irrespective of the religion and to the secular. There is some historical evidence this is consistent with the Establishment Clause, but tax exempt status is not mandated by the Constitution.

Now, whether it is sound, wise, or preferable public policy to grant such tax exemptions at all is another matter.

Needless to say, this wasn't always the case. The church (Orthodox and Catholic) kept civilization together through the Justinian plagues and the later great plagues, because they were the only organization with the manpower to keep administration and record-keeping going. But that was a long time ago. Now the churches don't really even produce art or culture. The old churches are hidebound, and the newer faiths are strictly a money-in proposition.

They pull in wealth, they harm society as a whole. They're sort of humanity's collective tapeworm.

Hopefully, whether to tax or not to tax will be based upon a workable, objective standard, and not a subjective and personal opinion driven notion of “harm society.”

They “pull in wealth” isn’t much better as a workable standard as “wealth” can include or exclude based on how narrow or expansive of a meaning one attributes to the word “wealth.”

If income is part of what’s under discussion for “wealth,” where “income” is the cash inflows to the entity, then so what? A general principle of this life is income is needed, and indeed society and our existence revolves around, generally, making/earning income.

And I wonder how many other tax exempt organizations, which aren’t religious, likely fall under your pejorative “humanity’s collective tapeworm”?

Yet, your narrative is a foregone conclusion, based on, at this time, nothing more than your personal dislike for some or all tax exempt, religious entities that meet your personal criteria.

It wasn't meant as a perjorative so much as a description.

A pejorative description isn’t an amelioration.

Hopefully, whether to tax or not to tax will be based upon a workable, objective standard, and not a subjective and personal opinion driven notion of “harm society.”

If they insist on interfering in politics and pulling awful shit as described in the OP, give me one good reason that they should remain untaxed.

Your derogatory characterization of Joel Osteen’s creed left no pretense that it is personally unpalatable to you.
You are correct. But there is a larger point to be made, here.
The original meaning of the Establishment Clause prohibited tax benefits solely and exclusively to a particular religion and/or a particular religious denomination. There’s a wealth of historical evidence illuminating this meaning.
And a wealth of evidence to the contrary. It is true that the primary sin motivating the establishment clause was that various States had, at the time of the Constitution's passage, "established" religions, and that the founders wanted to prevent that from occurring at the national level. But, they were quite determined that the central government be secular. They understood that mixing religion and governance was extremely dangerous, so forbade it. But it was not, as you posit, limited to particular sects, but broadly to all. The language chosen was deliberate... "an establishment of religion", not, as previously formulated, "establishment of a religion".
However, there isn’t much historical evidence to support a meaning of the Establishment Clause as forbidding Congress or States from exercising its taxing power to exempt entities that meet the criteria for being a charitable and/or educational and/or religious purposes in which tax exemption extends irrespective of the religion and to the secular. There is some historical evidence this is consistent with the Establishment Clause, but tax exempt status is not mandated by the Constitution.

Now, whether it is sound, wise, or preferable public policy to grant such tax exemptions at all is another matter.
I agree that there is little evidence one way or the other, although there are statements of unease regarding States giving preferential treatment to religious institutions.

In the main, though, the founders expressed thoughts that religious collectives were an overall boon to society, particularly as promoting moral probity, and thus civil behavior. That general perception carried over into the passage and implementation of the income tax.

What we're now challenging is the merit of that implementation. By creating "exemptions" for religious organizations, as religious organizations, the government (through the IRS) is put in the position of either distinguishing between "legitimate" religious belief systems, or creating exemptions so broad as to permit all manner of commercial activity as "religious" in nature. Both positions are detrimental.

It would be great more efficacious to eliminate the exemption entirely to avoid both concerns. There is a good basic discussion of the issue at procon.org here. How substantial such taxation would be to the public fisc is hotly debated. For me, though, it's a matter of principle.

But the broader question, specific to this thread, is whether religious "exemption" should extend to other laws that are enacted for the general public good (as here).

As a general rule, I would be quite restrictive in exempting religious "beliefs" from generally applicable laws. The current Supreme Court religionist cabal (I don't know how else to describe their extremist views and behavior accurately) is quite contrary. That approach, I contend, is both quite detrimental to our ability to govern fairly, and contrary to the express intent of the framers and the explicit language of the Constitution itself.

Then we should tax them like any other business.

Churches are basically parasites, anyway. They should pay their fair share.

Well, that was a good look.

Anything else those Jews shouldn't be allowed to participate in?
The law says no taxation for charitable organizations. So, let's keep the parasites completely with the Democrat Party leadership.
The Jews can participate in anything they want to as long as it doesn't deprive anyone of their Constitutional Rights of Religion. So, they are welcome to find a government agency or another private agency that will help them with their needs. I would not go to a Jewish adoption agency and tell them I'm going to raise their Jewish children as Christians because I respect their rights to religious freedom. Something Democrat Liberals have no clue of understanding due to their hatred and bigotry of Christians and Jews.

If they insist on interfering in politics and pulling awful shit as described in the OP, give me one good reason that they should remain untaxed.

Oh, so democracy/representative republic for me but not for thee, which is a direct corollary of your bizarre, qualified statement of “interfering in politics.” Rightfully, this isn’t the current status of the law as religious entities are permitted to engage in politics by espousing specific positions to political issues, espousing specific positions in relation to issues debated within the political realm, and so forth, with a specific qualification of not directly or indirectly participating in or interfering in a political campaign for a candidate for office whether for or against such candidates for public office. Otherwise, being involved and engaged in politics is an essential feature of democracy and representative republic, and is not rationally “interference.”

Never mind the fact religious entities have a 1st Amendment free speech right to involve themselves in politics as mentioned, and presently falling within your “interference” notion since you couldn’t be bothered to think through the logic of your argument and realize substantively what is or isn’t “interference” is entirely unknown.

Your possible true colors may be increasingly more transparent, as your ostenvile personal disgust for religion seemingly has led you to a narrative you’ve struggled to present in a coherent and rational manner. If true, would have been preferred to avoid any pretense of objectivity and fully disclosed you disfavor religion so tax religious entities.

Your suggestion of revoking tax exemption on the basis of what you personally perceive as “awful shit” is an absolutely fantastic philosophy. But why stop with religious entities? Hell, you are fair game, let’s revoke every tax deduction you receive based on the Pope’s perception of the “awful shit” you do. In addition, let’s revoke any and all tax credits you are eligible to receive based on someone random person’s perception you’ve done “awful shit.” Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Yet, I’d be remiss if I failed to address your false equivocation of some religious entities enaged in conduct that personally believe to be “awful shit” as the entirety of religious entities receiving tax exempt status, hence, revoke it for them all. Such a facile and myopic view of reality upon which to base a tax code is interesting.

I do not dare to provide a “good” reason for tax exempt status to you. I have an aversion to viewing reality and making arguments based on this reality utilizing ambiguous, murky, ethical/moral based judgments of “good.” However, some reasons for their tax exempt status are their contributions to society.

And a wealth of evidence to the contrary.

And a wealth of evidence to the contrary. It is true that the primary sin motivating the establishment clause was that various States had, at the time of the Constitution's passage, "established" religions, and that the founders wanted to prevent that from occurring at the national level. But, they were quite determined that the central government be secular. They understood that mixing religion and governance was extremely dangerous, so forbade it. But it was not, as you posit, limited to particular sects, but broadly to all. The language chosen was deliberate... "an establishment of religion", not, as previously formulated, "establishment of a religion".

I can only address this part of your post, when taking into consideration word count. I’ll save the rest for later.

Yes, we have letters, writings, debates, where the framers and founding generation favored the idea of a government disentangled from religion. A “secular” government is perhaps too strong a characterization, however, when we see how their notions of the central government relates to religion by the way they acted in under the Constitution and BOR.

From very early on, the phrase “so help me God” was uttered as part of the Presidential Oath. John Marshall commenced sessions of the Court with “God save the United States and this Honorable Court.” The First Congress instituted the practice of beginning its legislative sessions with a prayer. The same week Congress made the submission of the Establishment Clause to be included in the Bill of Rights for ratification by the States, the same Congress enacted legislation providing for paid chaplains in the House and Senate. A day after Congress submitted the First Amendment, the same Congress asked the President to proclaim “a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed, by acknowledging, with grateful hearts, the many and signal favours of Almighty God.” Washington obliged, designating November 26, 1789 as a day to recognize, if they so choose, “the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that is, that was, or that will be.” President Adams and Madison also called for a National Day of Prayer.

This illuminates the notion of a secular central government was idealistic and discussed but not implemented as a practice, in which the conduct of the same people reflects their ideas of government and religion. It seems the founding and framing generation disfavored a central government entangled in religion in the manner done by England, or the Holy Roman Empire, or the Byzantine Empire, or late Rome’s official adoption of Christianity, but welcomed something less, such as the ritualistic, feel good practice of opening Congress with prayer, or the Court with its pronouncement, etcetera.

My preference is for government and religion to be separate, but when I survey that evidence, I must confess my preference is not likely required by the EC.

That makes no sense...

I'll be happy to clarify. For one example, as decided by Christianity, you become free by accepting "the truth" of Christ as your savior. Otherwise, you're not free. What truly makes no sense is you must accept the chains, what is required of you, of a given religion and can't accept what is required of you by another religion without suffering the consequences. That's not free.

I'll be happy to clarify. For one example, as decided by Christianity, you become free by accepting "the truth" of Christ as your savior. Otherwise, you're not free. What truly makes no sense is you must accept the chains, what is required of you, of a given religion and can't accept what is required of you by another religion without suffering the consequences. That's not free.
What isn't free is your twisting of the Gospel. The truth sets everyone free. Why? Because you can move forward and progress as a person from salvation to exaltation. Also, by definition, nothing is free without law and punishment. The opposite is anarchy. The steps required of us to receive salvation and exaltation give us the progression we want and need. The alternative is regression and damned movement forward towards salvation and exaltation. What is free is our moral choices we make. We can receive the blessings of exaltation or the damnation of perdition and all in between. So, the laws and commandments are not chains. They are keys that unlock the chains of sin and lawlessness.

Jewish couple challenges Tennessee law after Christian agency’s policy prevented adoption (TODAY)

"A couple in Knoxville, Tennessee filed a lawsuit against the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services this week alleging that they were denied services by a state-funded foster care agency because they are Jewish."
"In an email to TODAY, Brad Williams, the president and CEO of the agency, confirmed that the organization had rejected the couple due to their religious beliefs."

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. "A 2020 Tennessee law allows private child-placing agencies that receive public funding to provide services based on 'religious or moral convictions'" So much for the First Amendment's establishment clause.
So it sounds like they didn't violate the law.

I think a key factor that I keep seeing being missed in this case is that the Jewish parents weren't going to the agency to actually adopt a child, they were only looking to receive the state-mandated training prior to adopting from out-of-state. To me, this moves beyond the agency determining how they operate to the trying to determine how the entire system operates.
Good point.

This illuminates the notion of a secular central government was idealistic and discussed but not implemented as a practice, in which the conduct of the same people reflects their ideas of government and religion. It seems the founding and framing generation disfavored a central government entangled in religion in the manner done by England, or the Holy Roman Empire, or the Byzantine Empire, or late Rome’s official adoption of Christianity, but welcomed something less, such as the ritualistic, feel good practice of opening Congress with prayer, or the Court with its pronouncement, etcetera.

My preference is for government and religion to be separate, but when I survey that evidence, I must confess my preference is not likely required by the EC.
My preference too is for government and religion to be separate - for the benefit of both.

I'll also confess that I have only a little heartburn with nonsectarian "moments of silence" or "the ritualistic, feel good practices" of opening prayers and such, so long as they are truly nonsectarian (which most are not... e.g. "in Jesus' name we pray"). Most of the founders, frankly, were deists. As I noted earlier, they saw the benefit of the moral guidance of churches in society.

Where I tend to draw the line, though, are 1) when there is an economic benefit accorded to a religious entity, and 2) when sectarian considerations affect public policy, as in this particular instance. I'm NOT for "accommodation" when those accommodations impact 3rd parties negatively. Hobby Lobby, and its ilk, are particularly pernicious deviations from the established norms and have crossed well over the line of "accommodation" and into the realm of imposition.

My preference too is for government and religion to be separate - for the benefit of both.

I'll also confess that I have only a little heartburn with nonsectarian "moments of silence" or "the ritualistic, feel good practices" of opening prayers and such, so long as they are truly nonsectarian (which most are not... e.g. "in Jesus' name we pray"). Most of the founders, frankly, were deists. As I noted earlier, they saw the benefit of the moral guidance of churches in society.

Where I tend to draw the line, though, are 1) when there is an economic benefit accorded to a religious entity, and 2) when sectarian considerations affect public policy, as in this particular instance. I'm NOT for "accommodation" when those accommodations impact 3rd parties negatively. Hobby Lobby, and its ilk, are particularly pernicious deviations from the established norms and have crossed well over the line of "accommodation" and into the realm of imposition.

I think the conclusion is we inherited a complicated mess from the framers and founders.

I do agree with you, state and religion is to be separate. Part of my reasoning is practical, I’ve witnessed politics is dirty, amoral if not at times immoral, and religion will only stain itself by involvement in the political machinations that comprise the government/State. Most recently, evangelicals and their support for Trump for the express purpose of loading the Supreme Court with justices adhering to a specific point of view regarding abortion that is consistent with the evangelicals religious view of the subject. Shame.

Tennessee is a shithole state. It amounts to child abuse for a state agency there to approve adoption of a child by any
resident of that state if the best interest of the adoptee is paramount.... or stop voting G.O.P., take a hard look at the
effects of emphasizing christian belief on the state.

"Eighteen of the 19 poorest states have legislatures where both chambers are Republican controlled. New Mexico (46th richest, fifth poorest) is Democratic. But there isn’t another blue or purple state until you get to purple Maine (31st richest, 20th poorest) with its “split” legislature...."

October 8, 2018

41. Tennessee​

• Median household income: $51,340
• Population: 6,715,984 (16th highest)
• 2017 unemployment rate: 3.7 percent (17th lowest)
• Poverty rate: 15.0 percent (10th highest)

"Tennessee rounds out the 10 states with the lowest median household incomes. Tennessee had the 8th lowest median household income in 2016. But state income increased significantly over the next year, and as a result South Carolina's ranking improved.

A relatively high share of workers in the state is employed in lower-paying, blue collar industries. The state has among the highest shares of people working in manufacturing, transportation and warehousing, and utilities. This may also explain why Tennessee's median household income is one of the lowest, despite also having one of the lower unemployment rates. Some 3.7 percent of the state's labor force is out of work — a full percentage point improvement from the previous year."

MeasureRating2021 Value2021 Rank
Social and Economic Factors *All Social and Economic Measures++-0.25939
Community and Family Safety - Annual *Sum of weighted z-scores+-0.86546

States of Incarceration: The Global Context 2021

Criminal justice policy in every region of the United States is out of step with the rest of the world.
www.prisonpolicy.org
Government jurisdictions with the highest per capita incarceration rates in the world,

In Massachusetts, 275 per 100,000, in New Jersey, 341, in New York, 376, in Connecticut, 394.

51994265375_c4ff2c204d_b.jpg

im-398467

Last edited:
What about side effects?

Should an employer be allowed to take a certain medication off of their coverage because they object to the side effects? For example some anti-acne medications can cause severe birth defects, and patients are strongly admonished to use effective birth control methods during their treatment. Should an employer be allowed to say, "we object to that anti-acne medication on religious grounds" because the side effect it could cause birth defects?

Or how about objecting to coverage of a particular medical procedure on religious grounds? You know of any sects that object to blood transfusions? Or, perhaps a patient who is undergoing heart valve replacement gets a pig valve? Should the employer be allowed to disallow that procedure on insurance coverage due to their religious beliefs regarding touching pigs?

Tell me why these things are different than disallowing birth control on medical insurance coverage.
Every case is different and has to go through the process. The left just wants to lump stuff together that doesn't belong together.

I think the conclusion is we inherited a complicated mess from the framers and founders.

I do agree with you, state and religion is to be separate. Part of my reasoning is practical, I’ve witnessed politics is dirty, amoral if not at times immoral, and religion will only stain itself by involvement in the political machinations that comprise the government/State. Most recently, evangelicals and their support for Trump for the express purpose of loading the Supreme Court with justices adhering to a specific point of view regarding abortion that is consistent with the evangelicals religious view of the subject. Shame.
This is a ridiculous argument since the law was followed. Sore losers these democrats. The left only wants justices that openly support killing babies in the womb. I'd say that's about as bad as it gets.

This is a ridiculous argument since the law was followed. Sore losers these democrats. The left only wants justices that openly support killing babies in the womb. I'd say that's about as bad as it gets.

I didn’t make an argument for or against the law. Quite impossible I made a “ridiculous argument” when no such argument was made.

A paradox wrapped in a complaint wrapped in a victim. It's like a chalupa made out of alt-right tears

Tax em. All of em. Until it hurts. Churches need to be taxed

Churches shouldn’t receive different tax treatment than other non-profit organizations. Are you asserting that all non-profit organizations be taxed as well?

I think a key factor that I keep seeing being missed in this case is that the Jewish parents weren't going to the agency to actually adopt a child, they were only looking to receive the state-mandated training prior to adopting from out-of-state. To me, this moves beyond the agency determining how they operate to the trying to determine how the entire system operates.
It’s unfortunate but that’s the way it goes. This was litigated already and the Supreme Court unanimously sided with the religious agency in Fulton v. City of Philadelphia. They’re just going to have to use a different agency.

Jewish couple challenges Tennessee law after Christian agency’s policy prevented adoption (TODAY)

"A couple in Knoxville, Tennessee filed a lawsuit against the Tennessee Department of Children’s Services this week alleging that they were denied services by a state-funded foster care agency because they are Jewish."
"In an email to TODAY, Brad Williams, the president and CEO of the agency, confirmed that the organization had rejected the couple due to their religious beliefs."

Seems pretty clear-cut to me. "A 2020 Tennessee law allows private child-placing agencies that receive public funding to provide services based on 'religious or moral convictions'" So much for the First Amendment's establishment clause.

There is a real problem. For this adoption agency to apply selective rules as it did can not be state funded. If this organization was NOT state funded and was a private agency it could be exclusive. The fact that it receives state funding then means it comes under the law you say. The state either needs to take back its funding and revoke its status to be entitled to funding or it must order the agency to stop discriminating as it does.

I think this is an unfortunate situation caused by a shortage of specific training services in Tennessee. A possible solution to that would be allow someone to use an on line training service from another state's approved training agency if there are none available in Tennessee.

This is a clear violation of not only Tennessee state laws but the US constitution. No government agency local, municipal, county, state, federal can refuse to serve someone because of their religious values.

There are of course many private denominational adoption agencies. That is not the issue. The issue is they can' ask for state funding and exclude certain denominations.

Clearly, the adoption agency will prevail. They have a "deeply held" religious belief that all children need to be raised in Christian homes. Therefore, they should be allowed to discriminate against non-Christian parents who wish to adopt.

I based my conclusion on the Hobby Lobby decision in which it was ruled that a company with "a deeply held religious belief" should be allowed to decide which medications are covered under their employee healthcare plan.

Using this same line of reasoning, the adoption agency, holding a "deeply held religious belief" that Jewish parents are unfit to raise adoptive children (because they are not Christian), will win their case. Jewish couples are free to seek adoption from other agencies that do not hold such objections.
1. The issue before you is not medication that is covered under a state funded employee health care plan so the decision you refer to is not applicable.
2- In fact there are NO government funded medical plans that withhold drugs to people based on religious beliefs because state funded services are not allowed to discriminate on what they provide based on religious values and that is the point of the thread.
4-No the case you refer to does not state a state funded medical plan can withhold drugs based on religious values. Its not what it said.

There is no law anywhere in the United States that says a government at any level can withhold services from you based on deeply held religious beliefs.

I do not doubt you want the law to impose specific Christian values when it provides services but the law states very clearly governments can't select who they serve based on "religious values".

There is no legal decision that permits any US state or federally funded agent the right to withhold services because of deeply held religious beliefs. You will find no law that says that because it would violate the US constitution that requires all governments to treat everyone with the same objective standards.

It’s unfortunate but that’s the way it goes. This was litigated already and the Supreme Court unanimously sided with the religious agency in Fulton v. City of Philadelphia. They’re just going to have to use a different agency.

The decision you quite deals specific wording in the City of Philadelphia's contract, which made a specific exemption in the anti-discrimination clause. So while the decision did allow an adoption agency to argue it can discriminate, the decision only allowed that right to discriminate because that wording existed. So this means for the decision to have applicability in other cases that wording would first have to exist.

Most importantlhy the ruling you reference did not contradict or overturn previous Supreme Court decisions saying religious discrimination can not be alllowed.

So you have provided a case with a very limited exception where such wording exists.

In the case in Tennessee which this thread referred to no such wording existed to open the window for such an exception to be considered.

Bottom line: your decision did not change the law-it most certainly has opened up confusion as to religious discrimination.

The case you quote still must be referred to in relation to many US Supreme Court decisions that prohibit religious discrimination. The case you quote did not overrule those decisions.

The best guess until we have future decisions is that the decision you quote is a very narrow one only to be applied if wording exists in the law to allow consideration of exceptions for religious beliefs.

If states now want to go back and insert such clauses its conceivable it would allow them to try use the Philadelphia case to now justify religious discrimination but this does not mean all the decisions the Supreme Court has made other than the Philadelphia one will be ignored.

I think what you may see in the future is a ruling thatclarifies the confuson and says if a government inserts a clause allowing consideration for exceptions to be applied to allow religious discrmination then:

1-the discrimination would only be allowed if there are other state agencies that can provide the exact same services;
2-the discriminated person(s) is not caused undue hardship by the discrimination;
3-the discrimination is consented to by the discriminated party after being properly provided alternative services by the state;
4-any state funded services in whole in part by that state funding including foster care services are public accommodation and therefore subject to the First Amendment.

Back
Top Bottom