• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Jewish & Christian Holy Days

Matthew says that Jesus appeared first, to two women, both named Mary, both of whom had followed Jesus from His earlier mission in Galilee, both of whom stood under the cross and then observed the place of Christ’s burial (see 27:55,61). Christ sends them on a mission to send the Eleven back to Galilee, where he will meet them.

Peter and James saw Him later.

Doughgirl, you talk as if giving the impression the gospels were written from eye-witness accounts. They were written 50-200 years later by men who heard the story from their teachers who heard the stories from either someone that was there or someone that knows someone that was there.”

So let me ask you this. One hundred years from now.... since all surviving holocust survivers would be dead, do we question that it even happened since there would be no eye-witnesses left? Do we discount and question the events that occured?
You could say that of every historical event that has ever happened.

It is a fact that the Church of Jesus Christ came into being because the apostles declared that He rose from the dead. they were eye witnesses to the event.
WE know that the Gospels go right back to the authors whose names they bear, and that the testimony of the resurrection goes back to the very decade in which it took place. There was no possible time for legend to develop. The legend had already developed at least 16 years before Paul could say there were five hundred people most of whom were alive at that time who had seen the resurrected Christ.

The disciples saw the risen Christ. And they died as martyr’s because of a historical fact-one that they had to have known, that Jesus had risen. Why would these men die for a lie? Peter was crucified upside down, James and Matthew were beheaded. Andrew was also crucified. Thomas was killed by a sword. Lets see Philip was stoned to death. Bartholomew crucified. Yes and Simon was sawed in two. They all went their own ways to spread the gospel, yet they all preached the same thing.

Why? They had to have known by seeing with their own eyes that Jesus had risen. They knew they would be killed if they preached the gospel but they did it anyway. These men went through incredible transformations……..for a reason.

They knew Jesus was God.

As for manuscripts…….and timelines.
I took a class about this a while back and I'm taking this from my notes.

First you have to look at how many documents we have to work with. The Dead Sea scrolls added 100 scrolls to the existing OT documents and we have over 5000 manuscripts from the NT (In fact they are all in the original Greek) not to mention some 20,000 sources to help piece it all together.

Compare the Bible to other ancient pieces of literature.

This taken from “Why Believe the Bible?” by John Blanchard (page 7)

Other ancient works don’t even compare. We have only 9-10 copies of Caesars, “Gallic War”….. 20 copies of Livy’s “Roman History”, 7 copies of the histories of Pliny the Younger and only 2 copies of “Histories and Annals” by Tacitus. The closest rival to the NT’s 20,000 sources if Homers “Illiad” with just 643.

Second you have to look at how close were they to the original.

The Bible has stronger manuscript support than any other work in classical history. And that includes Homer..Aristotle, Caesar, Plato, and Tacitus. Do you question any of these authors works? There were no eye witnesses were there?
the bibles remained virtually unaltered since its original writing as is attested by scholars who have compared the earliest manuscripts with those manuscripts written centuries later.
The reliability is affirmed by the TESTIMONIY OF ITS AUTHORS who were eye witnesses-or close associates who also were eye witnesses to the recorded events. AND ALSO by secular historians who also confirm the many events as recorded in Scripture. So I don't know how you come up with there were no eye witnesses who helped write the Bible.

“Further support for the Bible comes from the fact that events of the New Testament are supported by writings outside the Bible. Corroboration is available from several secular and Jewish historians of antiquity. (Examples: Tacitus, Suetonius, Pliny the Younger, Epictetus, Lucian, Aristides, Josephus, etc.)”

http://www.medwaychristians.com/how_do_you_know_that_the_bible_i.htm

I won’t even get into the evidence of archeology.

So let me ask you this. One hundred years from now.... since all surviving holocust survivers would be dead, do we question that it even happened since there would be no eye-witnesses left? Do we discount and question the events that occured?
You could say that of every historical event that has ever happened.
That has nothing to do with since they WERE survivors and have their stories documented. There is NO first-hand documentation of any of the bible stories. The recently found 'Judah' scrolls are still being studied and are not part of the so-far handed-down gospels.
You are entirely missing the point made over and over so I will try one more time:
The gospels were NOT written by ANY first-hand eye witnesses.

“Probably the same way you do......Faith. The difference between yourself Doughgirl, and most Christians is not one of accepting God. It is trying to understand those other things in this reality we deal with everyday, while you ignore them for the most part....others are curious and try to "See.”

Could you elaborate on this tecoyah? What do you mean realities we deal with everyday? I am ignoring what?
I just don’t understand what youre getting at here.

You might mean that my worldview doesn’t try to accept the “cultural world” today….
Or that I don’t change scripture to make it fit in with “today”….?????

I’ll take a stab where I think you were going…….

I believe every worldview (nihilistic, post-modern,pantheistic, atheistic…) hinges on an understanding of moral truth.
And as a Christian I believe there are absolute moral truths that should not be violated because to do so attacks the character and purposes God, who is the source and judge of all moral truth. (abortion- one example)
Today most people, even Christians are more interested in being physically comfortable, their personal image, and especially material achievement than their own personal morality and Gods truth. Every decision we make is based on our perception of truth, because truth reflects what we believe. Its how we look at reality.
We see a lot of different people on here debating a lot of different subjects. I could take a person and based on what they say about different issues…..determine what their worldview is and tell how they probably would answer other things not even in the debate.

People say on here that I am to judgmental that I talk about sin too much…that sin really doesn’t matter. It does however if you are a Christian. If there is no moral truth then there can be no such thing as right or wrong. And without right or wrong, the idea of sin is baseless because it assumes a standard that is either upheld or broken. If sin doesn’t exist, then you can remove all notions of judgment and condemnation period. And if you remove these elements from the discussion and you erase a need for a savior, bottom line…we have nothing to be saved from and no consequences to seek to avoid. I maintain that without the existence of sin and its ramifications the death and resurrection of Jesus are personally meaningless.

The bible is pretty clear about what is right and wrong in the sin department. But I think most people do not want to be told what they can and can’t do…so they try to find loop holes to make what they are doing acceptable. What is acceptable to man and what is acceptable to God however are two different things. People don’t want to submit…….be held responsible to anyone especially God.

"That has nothing to do with since they WERE survivors and have their stories documented. There is NO first-hand documentation of any of the bible stories. The recently found 'Judah' scrolls are still being studied and are not part of the so-far handed-down gospels.
You are entirely missing the point made over and over so I will try one more time:
The gospels were NOT written by ANY first-hand eye witnesses."

Not true.

The apostolic mission was detailed in John 14. Jesus tells his chosen in verse 19, that the world will not see Him after He rises from the dead, but as His eyewitnesses, the "sent ones" will. In verse 26 a promise of supernatural (Spirit directed) memory of Christ’s teaching will be given to the apostles. In John 15:26, 27 an obvious discussion of the purpose for the original twelve is given: "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of me, and you will bear witness also, because you have been with Me from the beginning." (John 15:26, 27)

John 16:12,13 Christ says, "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when He, the spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come." (John 16:12,13)

Finally, what did the apostles think their mission was? Acts 1:22,26 "…one of these should become a witness with us of His resurrection…and he was numbered with the eleven apostles." They could have given any one of the above mentioned appointments (preaching, prophecy, teaching, working miracles, etc.) as reasons to include Matthias, but they saw bearing witness of Christ’s resurrection as paramount at that time. "…And you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

"God raised Him up on the third day, and granted that He should become visible, not to all the people,but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us, who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead." (Peter, Acts 10:40,41)

In John 21:24 John says plainly that he wrote the book that bears witness to Christ’s teachings and resurrection and all things written therein. Peter in 2 Peter 1:16 offers his eyewitness testimony of Christ. In 2 Peter 3:2 Peter commands us to remember those words spoken by the apostles because they represent Christ’s commandments. And Christ told Paul "…for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also the to the things in which I will appear to you." (Acts 26:16) and "…the Lord stood at his side and said, ‘Take courage’ for as you have solemnly witnessed to My cause at Jerusalem, so you must witness at Rome also.’" Acts 23:11

The Twelve apostles were appointed and sent to be eyewitnesses of Christ and His resurrection. Paul was sent to also be an eyewitness of the resurrected Christ.

http://www.thefaithfulword.org/apostlepagetwo.html

They were witnesses.

doughgirl said:
Not true.

The apostolic mission was detailed in John 14. Jesus tells his chosen in verse 19, that the world will not see Him after He rises from the dead, but as His eyewitnesses, the "sent ones" will. In verse 26 a promise of supernatural (Spirit directed) memory of Christ’s teaching will be given to the apostles. In John 15:26, 27 an obvious discussion of the purpose for the original twelve is given: "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, He will bear witness of me, and you will bear witness also, because you have been with Me from the beginning." (John 15:26, 27)

John 16:12,13 Christ says, "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. But when He, the spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come." (John 16:12,13)

Finally, what did the apostles think their mission was? Acts 1:22,26 "…one of these should become a witness with us of His resurrection…and he was numbered with the eleven apostles." They could have given any one of the above mentioned appointments (preaching, prophecy, teaching, working miracles, etc.) as reasons to include Matthias, but they saw bearing witness of Christ’s resurrection as paramount at that time. "…And you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." (Acts 1:8)

"God raised Him up on the third day, and granted that He should become visible, not to all the people,but to witnesses who were chosen beforehand by God, that is, to us, who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead." (Peter, Acts 10:40,41)

In John 21:24 John says plainly that he wrote the book that bears witness to Christ’s teachings and resurrection and all things written therein. Peter in 2 Peter 1:16 offers his eyewitness testimony of Christ. In 2 Peter 3:2 Peter commands us to remember those words spoken by the apostles because they represent Christ’s commandments. And Christ told Paul "…for this purpose I have appeared to you, to appoint you a minister and a witness not only to the things which you have seen, but also the to the things in which I will appear to you." (Acts 26:16) and "…the Lord stood at his side and said, ‘Take courage’ for as you have solemnly witnessed to My cause at Jerusalem, so you must witness at Rome also.’" Acts 23:11

The Twelve apostles were appointed and sent to be eyewitnesses of Christ and His resurrection. Paul was sent to also be an eyewitness of the resurrected Christ.

http://www.thefaithfulword.org/apostlepagetwo.html

They were witnesses.

The thing is, you're using a work of fiction as "proof" that there were witnesses to something that didn't occur.

They were witnesses who lived 150 years more? Doubt that...not one book was written in the supposed time of the supposed Christ. They've all been dated for up to 200 years after and edited by ruling churches. Saying you are writing a book that 'bears witness' is not the same as saying 'I saw this'. It means a firm belief in what has occurred.
The passage in John 21 does NOT say the disciple was indeed John because it is not John being addressed, it's Simon Peter. The passages only keep saying 'this disciple'.
Quite frankly, I don't see anything referencing your comments about Peter, but they are a moot point since they say nothing of his being a first person witness either way. So ya basically just wasted typing time.
What many seem to conveniently forget or choose to ignore is that the 12 original disciples of Christ then went out to spread their gospel and in turn, got their own disciples. Later books, ie: Romans, Corinthians (nice leather, by the way:mrgreen: ) mention saints, something that was much much later and given by the Catholic church. While we're quite fond of saying 'oy! such a saint', jews do not have them.:mrgreen:
Now, we could go back and forth about this ad infinitum, but the very fact of the matter is, there is NO concrete proof that any of the particulars in either the old or new testaments actually existed. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls are not concrete proof-anyone can write stories. And every hopeful evidence, from the Shroud of Turin to the recent casket marked 'James, brother of Jesus' have been proven to be either frauds or of later origins. Not to mention that the very story of Jesus has roots in even older stories of mythical gods.

“The thing is, you're using a work of fiction as "proof" that there were witnesses to something that didn't occur.”

Other secular sources have confirmed what happened. The majority of mankind has believed in the Christ. Why?
I have not even gotten into the other evidences, archeological etc…

Ngdawg……….Who did Jesus show the holes in His hands too?

Matthew saw Christ…..
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintm13.htm

Mark saw Christ.

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/synexarion/mark.html

The disciples enjoyed extended interaction with the risen Jesus. He appeared to them at least ten times over a period of forty days (Acts 1:3). The circumstances were varied (4). He came to them both at night (John 20:19) and in broad daylight (Matt. 28:9; Luke 24:29; John 21:4), both indoors (Mark 16:14; John 20:26) and outdoors (Matt. 28:16-17; Acts 1:9). He met them singly (1 Cor. 15:5, 7-8), in small groups (Luke 24:13-15; John 20:19, 26), and in large groups (1 Cor. 15:6; Acts 1:6-15). He joined with them in such activities as eating and walking (Luke 24:15, 50). In their presence He did the work of preparing a meal (John 21:9-13). They held lengthy conversations with Him (Luke 24:27, 45-49; John 21:15-22). It is not rational to suppose that the familiar friends of the real Jesus went through all these encounters with an impersonator and yet failed to penetrate the disguise.

When first reports of the Resurrection came to the disciples, they were not eager to believe ..... Rather, they greeted these reports with skepticism.
9 Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
10 And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.
11 And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.
12 After that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
13 And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.
14 Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

Luke 24:10-11
24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
26 And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Every disciple remained unconvinced of the Resurrection until he himself saw Christ.

“Saying you are writing a book that 'bears witness' is not the same as saying 'I saw this'. It means a firm belief in what has occurred.”

Say your next door neighbor was crucified and the whole town witnessed it but you. You did not see it first hand. But you heard about the terrible torture that the guy went through and that they buried him in a tomb outside the city. You heard that three days later….the tomb was empty that the guy was not there. Soon after…. that day you see him and he shows you his hands where the nails went through.
What would you think? That everyone in the town was a liar?
That the guy really wasn’t killed? That he was a ghost?

All the apostles died horrible deaths………….they dedicated their lives to spreading the Gospel. You tell me why? But then that probably is a stupid question….you probably believe they didnt existed either.

Ngdawg it wouldn’t matter if Christ Himself appeared before you…..it seems your mind is made up. You probably will and won’t ever believe. You are not a Christian and therefore deny that He really ever existed, so...... So this is pointless, your mind is made up and I certainly won’t contribute anything to change your mind. I believe however that the seed has been planted and your in the hands of God. Only He can change hearts.
I just wonder if your challenge of the Bibles integrity and authority is somehow fueled by prejudice or principle? Are you honestly open to even discussing the possibility that the Bible is Gods word?

When's there's proof there is. Every study, every research has come up empty handed.
And again, you're not getting it. The books as they are named were not written by any eyewitnesses. Ever. Do some research instead of quoting the same stuff over and over.
I probably show more interest in them than you, at least I don't take them at blind faith, but watch shows about them, read about them, etc. The books of gospel and letters were all written 100-200 years after the death of Jesus and were heavily edited by church hierarchy. Key points mirror the myths of Mithra, among other gods and demi-gods, with historically accurate geographical locations used. However, while the cities themselves are accurate, there is no evidence at all of Jesus and seeing's how Pontius Pilate wasn't exactly small potatoes at the time and there is some evidence of his own existance, the glaring omission of his supposed order of execution seems suspect.

ngdawg said:
When's there's proof there is. Every study, every research has come up empty handed.
And again, you're not getting it. The books as they are named were not written by any eyewitnesses. Ever. Do some research instead of quoting the same stuff over and over.
I probably show more interest in them than you, at least I don't take them at blind faith, but watch shows about them, read about them, etc. The books of gospel and letters were all written 100-200 years after the death of Jesus and were heavily edited by church hierarchy. Key points mirror the myths of Mithra, among other gods and demi-gods, with historically accurate geographical locations used. However, while the cities themselves are accurate, there is no evidence at all of Jesus and seeing's how Pontius Pilate wasn't exactly small potatoes at the time and there is some evidence of his own existance, the glaring omission of his supposed order of execution seems suspect.

Actually, I think the closest was like 60-70 years after, but your point still holds.

History shows that scientists and illusionists (magicians, tricksters) were killed and labeled as witches and feared by the masses merely because the people did not know any better but yet for some reason these same people that labeled the unknown could not possibly elaborated or mistaken any aspect of Jesus’ life.

The general population in the time of Christ had the education of a modern 5 year old (besides what they were trained on: farming, building, etc) and the superstitions of a college football team.

I find it highly doubtful that the life of Jesus is free from exaggerations and added stories. With that said, I do believe that the general message and ideas that Jesus taught were grasped correctly although they are flooded with superstitions and miracles.

Why can't Jesus just be a messiah that has these great ideas for the peace of mankind and helped unite and inspire millions of people to be peaceful and good in life?

I concur. What happened to the nice, genuine Jesus who told us to love one another and be humble that I read about in the Bible I found in a hotel room?

ngdawg said:
That has nothing to do with since they WERE survivors and have their stories documented. There is NO first-hand documentation of any of the bible stories. The recently found 'Judah' scrolls are still being studied and are not part of the so-far handed-down gospels.
The gospels were NOT written by ANY first-hand eye witnesses.

There is no "first hand" documentation of the Torah either, and it is thousands of years older then the NT, (since the Torah came from the OT). Yet, jews have no problem with claiming that they believe in it. Why do jews find it so easy to bash Christianity - claiming that there is not evidence of the Christ - yet they faithfully accept the teachings of the Torah, when there exists no documented evidence that the first five books of the OT are true?

Another thing, since this topic was suppose to be about Christian vs. jewish holidays, why are jewish holidays always about persecution of the jews? What is going on in you peoples minds that you always have to celebrate being victims? How many 'holocausts' have jews suffered, just out of curiosity?
"Oy, vey! The pain of being a jew. So persecuted." (I actually heard a jew say that).

Uncle said:
There is no "first hand" documentation of the Torah either, and it is thousands of years older then the NT, (since the Torah came from the OT). Yet, jews have no problem with claiming that they believe in it.
It appears sir uncle you are missing the point. You are correct, there is not "first hand" documentation of the Torah. (But, the Torah did not "come from" the OT, the OT "came from" the Tanach (which starts with the torah). Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with claiming you believe in something, christian or jew or pagan or whatever. It is when you act as if, and demand, everyone to submit to your religious views (christians have been doing this for forever, while jews do not), that is when you reach problems and people begin to criticize you.

Why do jews find it so easy to bash Christianity - claiming that there is not evidence of the Christ - yet they faithfully accept the teachings of the Torah, when there exists no documented evidence that the first five books of the OT are true?
Bash Christianity? I believe this thread started bashing Judaism. Jews decided to fight back, so I think your "bash christianity" comment is wayy off mark here.

Another thing, since this topic was suppose to be about Christian vs. jewish holidays, why are jewish holidays always about persecution of the jews? What is going on in you peoples minds that you always have to celebrate being victims? How many 'holocausts' have jews suffered, just out of curiosity?
"Oy, vey! The pain of being a jew. So persecuted." (I actually heard a jew say that).

Well, Jews like to celebrate life. And since they managed to come out of these past events alive, they feel the need to celebrate it. Its a part of thier tradition, something that makes thier religion intresting. If Christianity placed more emphasis on the history of christians as a people, I might still be one. But nah its about jesus and getting away with doing anything as long as you ask him for forgiveness.

Caine:
It appears sir uncle you are missing the point. You are correct, there is not "first hand" documentation of the Torah. (But, the Torah did not "come from" the OT, the OT "came from" the Tanach (which starts with the torah). Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with claiming you believe in something, christian or jew or pagan or whatever. It is when you act as if, and demand, everyone to submit to your religious views (christians have been doing this for forever, while jews do not), that is when you reach problems and people begin to criticize you.
There is also no "first hand documentation" that the OT comes from the Tanach, therefore your point is moot and based solely on belief and faith. Christianity is based on the life and teachings of the Christ, Jesus, and so some Christians believe it is their duty to act as he acted - i.e. to spread the word face to face. Further, most Christians do not demand anyone to submit to their religious views. judaism doesn't seek converts because, in it's inception, it was an entirely racist religion: If you weren't born of a jewish mother then you could not be a jew. Today, converts are accepted but not sought. If a convert were to move to Israel, then that convert would not be afforded the same rights and protections as a jew born of jewish blood.

Bash Christianity? I believe this thread started bashing Judaism. Jews decided to fight back, so I think your "bash christianity" comment is wayy off mark here.
judaism wasn't being bashed by kid, in my opinion. He was rather attempting to show the differences in holiday beliefs between two opposing religions.

Well, Jews like to celebrate life. And since they managed to come out of these past events alive, they feel the need to celebrate it. Its a part of thier tradition, something that makes thier religion intresting. If Christianity placed more emphasis on the history of christians as a people, [Unlike judaism, Christianity is not based on the followers, or believers, it is based on the Christ, hence, the name, Christianity].I might still be one. But nah its about jesus and getting away with doing anything as long as you ask him for forgiveness.[Maybe you wouldn't have gotten so bored with Christianity had you been praying to God and not to Jesus. Simply asking for forgiveness does not get it. You were a Christian how long?]
Have you read the Talmud? Are you aware of its size, teachings, etcetera? How anyone can even consider converting to a religion of any type w/o knowing it intimately makes me question their motives. It seems to me that you have made the decision already to convert to judaism before becoming fully knowledgeable in all of its teachings.

BTW, instead of taking ngdogs word for why jews practice the holidays mentioned, I would recommend further investigation by anyone truly interested.

Lastly, since you have chosen to be the spokesperson for ngdog, perhaps you would be willing to answer the curious question I ask of him:
How many 'holocausts' have jews suffered,....?

I'm not a him and it's ngdawg.

ptsdkid said:
And you're right, the Jews celebrate holy days by gloating over the persecution of Gentiles. What is so hard to understand about that? No where does this type of celebration give reverence to God, or show a universal salvation for mankind.
There is no such thing that Jews "gloating over the persecution of Gentiles", that's nonsence.

The majority of the Jewish holidays are not because surviving persecution of gentiles. And it is importent to say that the source of the holidays which symbolise this surviving are not from a commandment to celebrate them in the Torah (except Pssove) but they were to be added later on.

Rosh Hashana=The first day of the year to symbol the first day that Adam was created and represent the judgment day of every human to the upcoming year.

Simchat Torah=To symbolise the day that the Torah was given.

Sukot=To symbolise the time that the Jews lived in bowers and to to make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem and to bring a donation to the temple.

Tu Bishvat=Holiday of the trees.

Shvu`ot=holiday for the harvest and in this holiday there is also the pilgrimage to Jerusalem like in Sukot.

Shmini atzeret=The 8th day of Sukot, a holiday by itself. A holiday for gathering for prays and sacrifice animals.

Yom Kippur=A day of regret and forgiveness.

Tu Be`av=A day when the people of Benjamin tribe were allowed to marrie again people from other tribes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom