• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jesus Gave the Apostles Authority to Forgive Sins

If II am a joint heir with Christ, I can forgive sin.

How are our sins forgiven?

As we forgive others.

The Lord's Prayer.

Through Jesus Christ...no one else...John 3:16; John 17:3...you are twisting Jesus' prayer to mean something it doesn't...

Through Jesus Christ...no one else...John 3:16; John 17:3...

As one believes in their heart, so is it unto them, but this is exactly what makes the Conservative Christian totally unfit to rule.

Have they ever stopped for a moment to consider an alternative.

And now they charge forth politically with the same conviction as their fabrication.

This is sin, and I do not forgive it.

So the Church was wrong right from the start? Interesting view you've got there.

Absolutely they were wrong from the start, at the point of Roman authority deciding on these things using interpretation and applying that it became the very catalyst (among other interpretative stretching) for the faith to continually splinter time and time again *and* lead to the very attitudes and applications throughout the dark ages.

As one believes in their heart, so is it unto them, but this is exactly what makes the Conservative Christian totally unfit to rule.

Have they ever stopped for a moment to consider an alternative.

And now they charge forth politically with the same conviction as their fabrication.

This is sin, and I do not forgive it.

Then you've got nothin' to worry about cuz Jesus rules...leave the darned politics out of it...

Then you've got nothin' to worry about cuz Jesus rules...leave the darned politics out of it...

No, this is Debate Politics.

Biden believes in Christ.

But what does he know, and what does he know may be or not?

No, this is Debate Politics.

Biden believes in Christ.

But what does he know, and what does he know may be or not?

This is a non political forum...pay attention...top of the page...

Non-Political Forums

Absolutely they were wrong from the start, at the point of Roman authority deciding on these things using interpretation and applying that it became the very catalyst (among other interpretative stretching) for the faith to continually splinter time and time again *and* lead to the very attitudes and applications throughout the dark ages.
Roman authority decided upon articles of faith? Citation needed.

I don't appreciate atheists and pagans coming into this thread and making it about their own pet issues rather than dealing with the contents of the OP. If you want to debate your issue, make your own thread and we'll discuss it.

Well, I think, all these threads here are for all!

And even for sundry!

That's how a forum works.

Roman authority decided upon articles of faith? Citation needed.

They certainly decided on edits, organization, and presentation of the Bible... then used the authority of the Roman Empire to give it presence among all sorts of competing ideologies at the time up to and including texts specifically left out of the Bible.

They certainly decided on edits, organization, and presentation of the Bible... then used the authority of the Roman Empire to give it presence among all sorts of competing ideologies at the time up to and including texts specifically left out of the Bible.
I said citation needed, not more baseless claims.

It could be anything...I guess he doesn't know which one he's referring to...
John 20:23.

Of course the Watchtower society translation is complete and utter garbage, of no scholarly value, so I wouldn't be surprised if it butchered that passage.

John 20:23.

Of course the Watchtower society translation is complete and utter garbage, of no scholarly value, so I wouldn't be surprised if it butchered that passage.

Really...the only difference is it's much easier to understand than all the thees and thous you read...:2razz:

"If you forgive the sins of anyone, they are forgiven; if you retain those of anyone, they are retained."

After doing some research on it, you're right...thanks, I learned something new today...it applied to the apostles whom Jesus was speaking to at that time but I can't find any info verifying it applied to anyone else...one such instance the Bible speaks about...

One case that involved apostolic authority to forgive or retain sins involved Ananias and Sapphira, who played false to the spirit. Peter, who heard Jesus utter what we read at John 20:22, 23, exposed Ananias and Sapphira. Peter first addressed Ananias, who died on the spot. When Sapphira later came in and kept up the falsehood, Peter proclaimed her judgment. Peter did not forgive her sin but said: “Look! The feet of those who buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” She too died on the spot.—Acts 5:1-11.

In this instance the apostle Peter used special authority to express a definite retaining of sin, a miraculous knowledge that God would not pardon the sin of Ananias and Sapphira. The apostles also appear to have had superhuman insight into cases where they were sure that sins had been forgiven on the basis of Christ’s sacrifice. So those spirit-empowered apostles could declare the forgiveness or retention of sins.

Questions From Readers — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Wait, you really think this happened another way don't you?
Yes, because secular Rome didn't decide on any articles of faith.

You've got a popular conspiracy made famous by dopes like Dan Brown who have no evidence for their inane theories.

I answered the question. He doesn't HAVE TO. But it's barely related to the substance of the OP.

Actually it is related since to believe that some all seeing omnipotent being having non-deity people forgiving people of sin is highly skeptical and amounts to supporting it being more of a "man-made" religion rather than spiritual. It also adds that religion is used to control mankind with those in high level positions making and interpreting the rules. If there is a all seeing all knowing being, there would be no need for man to admit sins to other non-deity men for forgiveness of those sins. One only has to take a visit to the Vatican to understand how religion has been used to steal, abuse and manipulate people.

Yes, because secular Rome didn't decide on any articles of faith.

You've got a popular conspiracy made famous by dopes like Dan Brown who have no evidence for their inane theories.

And who do you think did?

Back
Top Bottom