• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Jesus Gave the Apostles Authority to Forgive Sins

"To him all the prophets bear witness, that everyone putting faith in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.” Acts 10:43
This verse states that faith is necessary, but doesn't state that it's sufficient. Otherwise why does Jesus say that those who call Him Lord will still be damned?

"To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: that thou mayst be justified in thy words and mayst overcome when thou art judged."

Jesus was well aware of this and gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins

See, the universe likes to hear these words and the feeling in the heart of the penitent, but this does not mean the statements are not false in some proofs.

What do you make of the practice of the early Church?

Complete abuse of this authority, usually self-given and extending well beyond what the nature of the text suggests.

This verse states that faith is necessary, but doesn't state that it's sufficient. Otherwise why does Jesus say that those who call Him Lord will still be damned?

And only through Jesus Christ..no one else, including the apostles...because they are not exercising faith...faith is a verb that requires action...

See, the universe likes to hear these words and the feeling in the heart of the penitent, but this does not mean the statements are not false in some proofs.
Again, doubting the inerrancy of scripture isn't really relevant to this question between Protestants and Catholics.

And only through Jesus Christ..no one else, including the apostles...because they are not exercising faith...faith is a verb that requires action...

Christ can use anyone to forgive sin.

Complete abuse of this authority, usually self-given and extending well beyond what the nature of the text suggests.
So the Church was wrong right from the start? Interesting view you've got there.

Then what's the point of what Jesus told the apostles?

Can, but that's not what He says and not what the early Church recognized.

What is sin?

Sin is that which costs more than it produces, or that which is undesirable, to the Lord, yourself and your neighbor, the Universe around you.

That is not scriptural...

Its logical, something fundamentalists no nothing of, only logic that proves their point of view and justifies themselves and condemns others.

I'm sure there's a Scripture for it.

We are joint heirs with Christ.

What is sin?

Sin is that which costs more than it produces, or that which is undesirable, to the Lord, yourself and your neighbor, the Universe around you.
Sin is the absence of good.

Whose sins you forgive are forgiven.

Unless you give me the scripture, I have no idea what you're talking about...there are 31,102 verses in the Bible...

Its logical, something fundamentalists no nothing of, only logic that proves their point of view and justifies themselves and condemns others.

I'm sure there's a Scripture for it.

We are Joint heirs with Christ.

No it isn't and no there's not...

Jesus undoubtedly gave the apostles the authority to forgive sins. My question is this. Did Jesus relinquish this authority after the apostles died? If so, why, and what is the evidence that the early Church recognized that this authority was relinquished.

I'm tagging cpwill to get his attention.

Wathc out for the athesits here

No it isn't and no there's not...

If II am a joint heir with Christ, I can forgive sin.

How are our sins forgiven?

As we forgive others.

The Lord's Prayer.

Unless you give me the scripture, I have no idea what you're talking about...there are 31,102 verses in the Bible...
Look up the phrase. It's a famous one.

If II am a joint heir with Christ, I can forgive sin.

How are our sins forgiven?

As we forgive others.

The Lord's Prayer.
Jesus didn't give this promise to all.

Back
Top Bottom