• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

James Hansen's Multiple Failed Global Warming Doomsday Ultimatums

Liar... You lie when you change the context to suit your purpose... Liar...

You left out the part of using Mann's methodology.

Like it or not, context is important for an intelligent conversation. If you wish not to have an intelligent conversation, please go away.

LOL.

I guess we gotta do this in baby steps then.

I assume you think PAGES 2K is not using Manns Magic Shape Generating methodology, right?

But it still produces a hockey stick, both worldwide and Arctic.

So you then agree that Pages 2k is solid science, right?

No, I was pointing out that in graph "a," the global corrections have the spike at 600 AD being warmer than recent times. Grph 'D' is the non-global graph.

You clearly lack the ability to consider more than one idea at a time.

My God... It is so obvious.

Yes.

A spike of a year clearly is similar to a massive spike of half a century.

You should write a strongly worded letter to Nature.

LOL.

I guess we gotta do this in baby steps then.

I assume you think PAGES 2K is not using Manns Magic Shape Generating methodology, right?
There you go ASSuming again...

But it still produces a hockey stick, both worldwide and Arctic.
It's in the methodology.

So you then agree that Pages 2k is solid science, right?
No. It is not solid science. Too many problems with proxy data, especially when the preselect the data they want. I suppose you forgot about me pointing out the numerous core samples off of Africa available, but they only used the ones with the trends they desired. Nearby core samples had opposing trends...

Yes.

A spike of a year clearly is similar to a massive spike of half a century.

You should write a strongly worded letter to Nature.

LOL...

Your lack of comprehension, even when pointed out, is astounding.

There you go ASSuming again...

It's in the methodology.

No. It is not solid science. Too many problems with proxy data, especially when the preselect the data they want. I suppose you forgot about me pointing out the numerous core samples off of Africa available, but they only used the ones with the trends they desired. Nearby core samples had opposing trends...

Always appreciate your expert views of paleoclimatology that you DEFINITELY DIDNT get from uninformed denier blogs.

Guess the giant librul conspiracy will make hockey sticks with or without magical programs. Seems silly that you have to fabricate ideas like magic shape generating programs and science published as cover articles in Nature as being 'weak' when you fall back on the giant librul conspiracy meme all the time anyway...

No rebuttal? I'm shocked.

Rebuttal to what?
You never understood the point about the corruption of the AGW crowd and how they deceive when I told you more than once.
All you know is "the science is settled" because you read that somewhere.
Demonstrate you know enough to have a discussion and we can go at it.
Let's start here ... tell me what critiques you've read about any of the IPCC Assessment Reports and why you think those criticisms were wrong.

[h=3]A Summary of MBH98 Replication Issues[/h]Jun 28, 2005 – 11:52 AM
Mann and realclimate have argued that MBH98 was replicable on the original record. Mann cites Wahl and Ammann as support for this, but Wahl and Ammann are close associates of Mann’s (Ammann is a realclimate contributor), working recently from a much different record, hardly "independent" and their code only addresses one area of MBH98 calculations. […]

By Steve McIntyre| Posted in MBH98, Replication | Comments (1)

[h=3]Errors Matter #3: Preisendorfer’s Rule N[/h]Feb 13, 2005 – 2:36 PM
In the last two days, I’ve argued that it’s insufficient for Mann et al. to merely “get” a hockey stick shape some other way, but that they have to show that any such salvage reconstruction meets the representations and warranties of MBH98 as to reasonably even spatial sampling, robustness, statistical skill and proxy validity. I’ve […]

By Steve McIntyre| Posted in MBH98 | Tagged censored, preisendorfer | Comments (3)

[h=3]Errors Matter #2: the "Different" Method of Rutherford et al [2005][/h]Feb 12, 2005 – 8:01 AM
Yesterday in Errors Matter #1, I argued that any new reconstruction now proposed by Mann et al. as a means of salvaging MBH98-type results has to also meet the representations and warranties of MBH98 used to induce widespread acceptance. I showed that the no-PC reconstruction recently proposed by Mann et al. as a way of […]

By Steve McIntyre| Posted in MBH98 | Tagged rutherford | Comments (2)

[h=3]Errors Matter #1: the no-PC Alternative[/h]Feb 11, 2005 – 5:27 PM
Mann et al. have responded to our criticism by claiming that the errors which we have identified “don’t matter” because they can “get” MBH-type results under several different methods, one of which is through not using any PCs. Ross and I previewed an initial reply to these arguments here and plan to issue a pdf […]

By Steve McIntyre| Posted in MBH98 | Comments (10)

SUH-MACK
I bet you had that ready to go because you knew you'd have to use it.
2 minutes apart ... too funny.

SUH-MACK
I bet you had that ready to go because you knew you'd have to use it.
2 minutes apart ... too funny.

The funny thing, it was irrelevant and a ten year old critique of a 17 year old paper.

Science has moved on, deniers apparently haven't!

What kind of apples do you grow? You must get some beauties up there.

All types in the northwest. I just have a single dwarf Gala apple tree in my yard. They grow small, and the squirrels love them. I let them feast on them.

So what's your excuse for nos. 81, 89, 90 and 91?

You mean your denier blog spam? ( no wonder why LoP 'likes' it!).

I guess I could pull up some other blogs and cut and paste that would address it, if I bothered to spend time reading them.

I guess I could pull up some other blogs and cut and paste that would address it, if I bothered to spend time reading them.

Then it is your choice to remain uninformed.

While this thread has digressed from Hansen's failed doomsday predictions, to Mann's failed hockey stick,
perhaps it is time to remember why they was a need for a hockey stick in the first place.
Part of AGW was to show that the temperature changes between 1979 and 1998 were abnormal.
This requirement existed, because most people learned in school, that Eric the Red founded a colony in Greenland,
when it was warmer than it is currently. This does not fit into the AGW script, an so a requirement existed
to prove that the Greenland colony was a local event.
With these requirements in hand, the fearless Dr. Mann set about to find proxies that said exactly that.
Unfortunately the proxy data did not behave, the post 1980 proxies mostly declined if they interpreted temperature
the same way across the time series.
The Solution, Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards).
Instead of showing the last 20 years of the proxies, they dispose of that low resolution data, and replace it with high resolution
thermometer data. Magic Mike has saved the AGW movement by putting aside one of the big skeptical arguments.
He is awarded with Millions in Grants, and even claims to have won part of a Nobel Prize.

At the end of the day, the hockey stick is irrelevant.
The average temperature on earth appears to be increasing slowly, with burst of El Nino events.
The period between 1979 and 1998, mostly appear abnormal because of the large El Nino spike in 1998.
Without the .2 C single year spike, the 19 years between 1979 and 1998 would be a modest .25 C, or .13 C per decade.
The predictions of .21 C per decade warming, were based on a 19 year period, ending with one of the
strongest El Nino events ever recorded, This caused the models to be high by almost a factor of 2.

Then it is your choice to remain uninformed.

Now really, Jack.
Did you expect anything different?
Does it not always end this way with him?
He screams for attention but when cornered he can't respond on point.
Like the last one ...
boy - i could tell you.jpg
A classic.
The history of threads on this topic are replete with the same kind of thing.

You have time to spend? And here I thought you were running around in scientific circles....

While this thread has digressed from Hansen's failed doomsday predictions, to Mann's failed hockey stick,
perhaps it is time to remember why they was a need for a hockey stick in the first place.
Part of AGW was to show that the temperature changes between 1979 and 1998 were abnormal.
This requirement existed, because most people learned in school, that Eric the Red founded a colony in Greenland,
when it was warmer than it is currently. This does not fit into the AGW script, an so a requirement existed
to prove that the Greenland colony was a local event.

With these requirements in hand, the fearless Dr. Mann set about to find proxies that said exactly that.
Unfortunately the proxy data did not behave, the post 1980 proxies mostly declined if they interpreted temperature
the same way across the time series.
The Solution, Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards).
Instead of showing the last 20 years of the proxies, they dispose of that low resolution data, and replace it with high resolution
thermometer data. Magic Mike has saved the AGW movement by putting aside one of the big skeptical arguments.
He is awarded with Millions in Grants, and even claims to have won part of a Nobel Prize.

At the end of the day, the hockey stick is irrelevant.
The average temperature on earth appears to be increasing slowly, with burst of El Nino events.
The period between 1979 and 1998, mostly appear abnormal because of the large El Nino spike in 1998.
Without the .2 C single year spike, the 19 years between 1979 and 1998 would be a modest .25 C, or .13 C per decade.
The predictions of .21 C per decade warming, were based on a 19 year period, ending with one of the
strongest El Nino events ever recorded, This caused the models to be high by almost a factor of 2.

Exactly right.
And that's why I kept going back to the warming and cooling periods that Magic Mike had to make disappear with his Carbonaro Effect but that certain people can't explain what happened to them ... and still can't other than insist those temp change swings were localized ... mighty big locales, but whatever.

But you realize those reality-based arguments always fall on deaf indoctrinated ears here.

Exactly right.
And that's why I kept going back to the warming and cooling periods that Magic Mike had to make disappear with his Carbonaro Effect but that certain people can't explain what happened to them ... and still can't other than insist those temp change swings were localized ... mighty big locales, but whatever.

But you realize those reality-based arguments always fall on deaf indoctrinated ears here.
There are large gaps in our understanding of the climate, and plenty of room for legitimate scientific
skepticism with the dogma preached by the IPCC.
CO2 is supposed to be optical insulation, allowing short wavelengths in while keeping long wavelengths out.
While this appears to be happening, it seems to mostly happen at night, and during the winter. (cooler months)

All types in the northwest. I just have a single dwarf Gala apple tree in my yard. They grow small, and the squirrels love them. I let them feast on them.

I like Galas.
We have Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp, and Sundance.
All very nice ... when they & the wildlife co-operate.

Now really, Jack.
Did you expect anything different?
Does it not always end this way with him?
He screams for attention but when cornered he can't respond on point.
Like the last one ...
View attachment 67204081
A classic.
The history of threads on this topic are replete with the same kind of thing.

You apparently are unaware of the Gish Gallop.

His blog vomitus will be addressed and lead to even more blog vomitus, . At a certain point, its not worth responding to.

But once again, thanks for your continued contributions to the thread.

Back
Top Bottom