• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

It's Time To Arrest Ultra-Orthodox Jews Who Delay Flights Over Seating [W: 66]

Its amazing that in this day and age a flight full of people cant make a simple accommodation for a few individuals. This would have taken...what...30 seconds to resolve ahd the aircraft not been full of apparently bigoted angry hate filled little ****heads that would rather sit on a tarmac for an hour than move a few seats.

The OP implies the orthodox jews are the douche-bags in this story. Really?

Really?

Yes really. Besides they also commonly have a personal hygiene problem.

this would have been an interesting multiple choice...I say, they seat themselves or get off of the plane

but have to add, had I been asked to move in order to accommodate them I would be happy to do so

for them, a Muslim, a kid a whatever,

How about they grow the **** up instead or walk?
Combined with your "smelly Jews" comment...you kinda prove my point.

Its amazing that in this day and age a flight full of people cant make a simple accommodation for a few individuals. This would have taken...what...30 seconds to resolve ahd the aircraft not been full of apparently bigoted angry hate filled little ****heads that would rather sit on a tarmac for an hour than move a few seats.

The OP implies the orthodox jews are the douche-bags in this story. Really?

Really?
From what little I recall, being in a situation where there is no choice but to site by a female, dependent upon how strict they are, the situation invloved many do permit sitting next to a woman.
Now as they cannot always choose who their seat partner will be, then book an extra seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negiah
he term negiah (Hebrew: נגיעה‎),[1] literally "touch," is the concept in Jewish law (Halakha) that forbids or restricts physical contact with a member of the opposite sex (except for one's spouse,[2] children, siblings,[3] grandchildren,[4] parents, and grandparents).[5] A person who abides by this halakha is colloquially described as a shomer negiah ("one observant of negiah").[6]

The laws of negiah are typically followed by Orthodox Jews, with varying levels of observance. Some Orthodox Jews follow the laws with strict modesty and take measures to avoid accidental contact, such as avoiding sitting next to a member of the opposite sex on a bus, airplane, or other similar seating situation. Others are more lenient, only avoiding purposeful contact. Adherents of Conservative and Reform Judaism do not follow these laws.

How tough would it be to say 'I don't agree with your beliefs but I can respect them...sure...I'll trade seats'?

Why is it that the woman, in nearly all cases I have read, is asked to move?

How tough would it be to say 'I don't agree with your beliefs but I can respect them...sure...I'll trade seats'?

The point is, in this day and age, not being able to sit next to a woman on a plane is kinda ridiculing

From what little I recall, being in a situation where there is no choice but to site by a female, dependent upon how strict they are, the situation invloved many do permit sitting next to a woman.
Now as they cannot always choose who their seat partner will be, then book an extra seat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negiah
The whole thing is silly. I fly often and its extraordinarily common for people to switch seats to accommodate couples, families, etc. No one ****s themselves over the families. Just the 'smelly jews'. Speaks volumes...but not about the orthodox Jews.

I already took a vacation responding to one of your similar comnents. I have to pass on this one.

So you want to insult me, but you don't have the balls. Good to know.

Why is it that the woman, in nearly all cases I have read, is asked to move?

Just how many cases are you reading of? And I dont know the answer to that question Sounds like a solution that could be found at flight attendant level. Offer a $10 buck coupon for a beer or an extra package of pretzels. Its just not that hard.

The point is, in this day and age, not being able to sit next to a woman on a plane is kinda ridiculing
Why? Because it doesnt fit your belief system?

The whole thing is silly. I fly often and its extraordinarily common for people to switch seats to accommodate couples, families, etc. No one ****s themselves over the families. Just the 'smelly jews'. Speaks volumes...but not about the orthodox Jews.
I reserve my seats and pay for that reservation.
This is about some Orthodox using their religious beliefs to deny a woman the right to sit where she wishes. Perhaps she reserved and paid for that seat?
My point was it is generally the woman asked to move.
Now if a Muslim did this, the proverbial crap would hit the fan.
Hate threads would be popping up faster than you can count about Muslims. And that is fact.

Just how many cases are you reading of? And I dont know the answer to that question Sounds like a solution that could be found at flight attendant level. Offer a $10 buck coupon for a beer or an extra package of pretzels. Its just not that hard.

Google it. See how often, then multiply it by a larger number as few hit the news lines.

Why? Because it doesnt fit your belief system?

Because it's a tiny group screwing over everybody else, because this is the 21st century and because apparently they can't sit next to a woman but it's perfectly okay to fly on an airplane despite the fact that women were around when the Torah was written and planes weren't.

Because it's a tiny group screwing over everybody else, because this is the 21st century and because apparently they can't sit next to a woman but it's perfectly okay to fly on an airplane despite the fact that women were around when the Torah was written and planes weren't.
Many religious rules go back thousands of years. Or have you considered that?
In Canada we have laws regarding a duty to accommodate, but they are also clear when you do not have to accommodate a persons religious beliefs.

Many religious rules go back thousands of years. Or have you considered that?
In Canada we have laws regarding a duty to accommodate, but they are also clear when you do not have to accommodate a persons religious beliefs.

Yes, they do.

This would fall under do not accommodate

Your memory is short.

No, my memory is fine and I know how many points you're sitting on. You're just *****ing out because you know one more point will take you over the threshold.

Not much interested in conversing with an antisemite bigot.

You clearly don't know what you're talking about. Hardly news there. This isn't about Jewish people. This is about human beings that treat women as inferior to them. That's just not OK. It just so happens that many of these men don't choose to wear deodorant. Not fun in a crowded plane.

No, my memory is fine and I know how many points you're sitting on. You're just *****ing out because you know one more point will take you over the threshold.

I'm sitting on 9. But that's ok, my previous post was worth passing on this. By the way, last time I checked it was up to 16 likes.

The airlines, if they don't already, should have people agree to terms of seating with a stipulation that if one refuses their seat due to unreasonable accommodations (not wanting to sit near women) they will be deboarded and their flight not refunded. People need to make connections, be in destinations at certain times, and may have emergencies they are traveling for and their time shouldn't be wasted or harmed because of unreasonable and selfish requests. I'd be apt to say if people are harmed by the delay that they should sue these people with the court awarding them a settlement for damages.

Back
Top Bottom