• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It Is Not Your Constitutional Right To Not Wear A Mask

If we as a society can demand that everyone wears pants when out of doors, we can certainly demand that they wear a mask during a virus pandemic.

The Supreme Court is tasked with interpreting the Constitution.

Here is a decision involving public health:

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a*United States Supreme Court*case presided over by Judge John Marshall Harlan. The decision gave the collective citizenry the right to protect itself:

“Harlan ruled that personal liberties could be suspended when "the safety of the general public may demand" for example during a smallpox outbreak.[7]*He compared the smallpox outbreak to the*American Civil War*(in which three out of nine Justices at the term served) by saying that a community has the right to protect itself from both disease and military invasion.[6] “

This decision has never been overturned.

To read more about it go to U.S. Reports: Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905). | Library of Congress

So my employer is making us wear masks again. This time we have to wear a mask as soon as we enter the building, but not while in the break room around everyone else. We have to wear a mask while walking to our work station, but can take the mask off once we are at our work station and around others.

Masks are a total ****ing joke.

If we as a society can demand that everyone wears pants when out of doors, we can certainly demand that they wear a mask during a virus pandemic.

Loads of people don't wear pants tho.

That seems to be the new prevailing meme, since the "it's for your own good" didn't work out all that well.

I realize it might not be the easiest concept for everyone to grasp but the idea is to not spread your breath in the vicinity of others during a pandemic. This is not a new reason. It has always been the main reason.l

You can keep spamming this legal hypothesis of yours all over the forums, it doesn't make it become accurate.

Again: the Supreme Court has already ruled on this exact issue and you are wrong.

You are right, the Supreme Court has already ruled on this exact issue in Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U. S. 11 (1905), and they held that the US Constitution may not be violated because some fascist leftist moron declared a fake emergency.

While a local regulation, even if based on the acknowledged police power of a State, must always yield in case of conflict with the exercise by the General Government of any power it possesses under the Constitution, the mode or manner of exercising its police power is wholly within the discretion of the State so long as the Constitution of the United States is not contravened, or any right granted or secured thereby is not infringed, or not exercised in such an arbitrary and oppressive manner as to justify the interference of the courts to prevent wrong and oppression.

When did you test positive for covid-19?

I have not tested tested positive for Covid 19 but just in case I am unknownly carrying it I want to protect Others.

CDC recommendats using masks to protect others.

We are all in this together. We should help protect each other from Covid 19.

As Mitch Albom ( an author ) reminds us :

But we also know you can’t rebuild if you’re dead.

And those of us healthy enough to survive COVID-19 could still spread it to someone who is not, without knowing it. We are all potential victims. We are all potential killers. That’s how insidious this disease is.

The Michigan I know doesn't lose its head in a pandemic | Mitch Albom

Last edited:
So my employer is making us wear masks again. This time we have to wear a mask as soon as we enter the building, but not while in the break room around everyone else. We have to wear a mask while walking to our work station, but can take the mask off once we are at our work station and around others.

Masks are a total ****ing joke.

For me masks are a great indicator of who has completely lost their mind and no longer capable of rational thought. They are the people to watch because their insanity is likely to become violent, as we have seen in recent weeks.

I have not tested tested positive for Covid 19 but just in case I am unknownly caring it I want to protect Others.

I've got news for you. Everyone is eventually going to contract the virus. It is inevitable. That is what viruses do, they completely saturate an entire population. Wearing a mask accomplishes nothing, other than to indicate who have completely lost their minds and are so wrapped up with fear that they are incapable of rational thought. I'm carrying 24/7 now due to the mask wearing crazies. You never know when these crazy idiots will become violent.

So slowing the spread of the virus is worth destroying the lives of tens of millions of Americans to you? How hypocritically liberal of you. As long as you can save one COVID-19 patient's life, it is worth utterly destroying tens of thousands of other people's lives. Your liberal mentality will kill more Americans than the virus ultimately. Which should make you very happy indeed since that has always been your goal.

Are you being facetious?

Does wearing a mask in public kill more Americans than the virus will kill.

My answer to your remark is ...

I think not!

I think not!

So since you believe wearing a mask will prevent you from getting the virus why is it so important to you that others follow your lead? You apparently believe that masks work so wear one and quit trying to force others to do something you believe works since their actions will not affect you

No, it didn't. Nowhere in the nation were hospitals anywhere near their capacity. Not even in New York City, where they had temporary emergency facilities and a hospital ship to handle non-COVID-19 cases in case hospitals became overloaded. It never happened. Not anywhere in the nation. You are posting Fake News by the enemy of the people.

And you have told that two temporary hospitals in Michigan were build and used for Covid 19 patients.

I think not!

It makes absolutely no different either way. Wearing a mask will not save a single life, nor will it cause anyone to lose their life. They are a monumental waste of time, an infringement on liberty, and only used by those who are in a complete state of panic and have lost their minds. A mask wearing individual is more likely to kill someone than the COVID-19 virus. Just look at all the violence and destruction of property mask-wearing morons have committed in the last month alone.

And you have told that two temporary hospitals in Michigan were build and used for Covid 19 patients.

There was only one temporary hospital built in Michigan by the feds. At the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, Michigan, at a cost to the taxpayer of $11,754,262. It was suppose to handle 1,100 patients. It saw a total of 6 patients before being dismantled, and none of them had COVID-19.

Source: U.S. Field Hospitals Stand Down, Most Without Treating Any COVID-19 Patients : NPR

I've got news for you. Everyone is eventually going to contract the virus. It is inevitable. That is what viruses do, they completely saturate an entire population. Wearing a mask accomplishes nothing, other than to indicate who have completely lost their minds and are so wrapped up with fear that they are incapable of rational thought. I'm carrying 24/7 now due to the mask wearing crazies. You never know when these crazy idiots will become violent.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Michigan has 3.3 million residents.

Some Michigan stats

From Click on Detroit

Michigan has officially surpassed one million total tests, according to data from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

We perform close to 14,000 tests a day and about 3 percent of the tests are positive.

On Saturday, June 20, the state reported an additional 4,326 recoveries, bringing the total to 49,290.
What is a “recovery," exactly?

According to MDHHS, “recovered” is defined as the number of persons with a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis who are alive 30 days post-onset -- or referral date if onset is not available.

Actually, it is our right not to wear a mask just like it's a right not to own a gun for personal protection.

Stay at home then and don't infect normal Americans.

There was only one temporary hospital built in Michigan by the feds. At the Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi, Michigan, at a cost to the taxpayer of $11,754,262. It was suppose to handle 1,100 patients. It saw a total of 6 patients before being dismantled, and none of them had COVID-19.

Source: U.S. Field Hospitals Stand Down, Most Without Treating Any COVID-19 Patients : NPR

Looking at the link you posted the Javits Center in New York City, has 1,090 patients

The TCF center in Detroit is listed at the bottom of the link.

The Novi Collection center was built the end of April when Michigan’s numbers of Covid hospitalizations Was lowering.

April 12 we had over 3,900 hospitalizations by the end of April we had 2,220 Covid patients.

Tracking Michigan COVID-19 hospitalization data trends

There was a 1,000 bed temporary hospital built by Detroit in the TCF center formerly known as Cobo Hall.

Last edited:

No you cant and no your not. As you can see society is being told to piss off. With good reason I might add.

Respectfully, I disagree.

Michigan has 3.3 million residents.

Some Michigan stats

From Click on Detroit

On Saturday, June 20, the state reported an additional 4,326 recoveries, bringing the total to 49,290.
What is a “recovery," exactly?

According to MDHHS, “recovered” is defined as the number of persons with a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis who are alive 30 days post-onset -- or referral date if onset is not available.

How many of their 3.3 million residents has Michigan tested for COVID-19?

Alaska has a population of 730,000. There have been a total of 833 (0.11%) people who tested positive for COVID-19 out of 101,792 (13.94%) tests administered. Of those 833 who tested positive, 519 (62.3%) have already recovered. There have been a total of 14 (0.0019%) COVID-19 related deaths in Alaska. Which is on par with the typical influenza virus that hits us each and every year.

Source: Alaska COVID-19 Statistics: 833 Cases / 14 Deaths / 519 Recovered / 101,792 Tests / Avg cases/day rate of 17 has grew 0% from 14 days ago (Updated Jun 27, 2020 @ 3:08pm)

We completely panicked and utterly destroyed the lives of tens of millions of Americans over nothing. More Americans died during the Hong Kong Flu of 1969 than have died as a result of COVID-19, and we didn't panic and completely destroy our economy in 1969.

Last edited:
The Supreme Court is tasked with interpreting the Constitution.

Here is a decision involving public health:

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a*United States Supreme Court*case presided over by Judge John Marshall Harlan. The decision gave the collective citizenry the right to protect itself:

“Harlan ruled that personal liberties could be suspended when "the safety of the general public may demand" for example during a smallpox outbreak.[7]*He compared the smallpox outbreak to the*American Civil War*(in which three out of nine Justices at the term served) by saying that a community has the right to protect itself from both disease and military invasion.[6] “

This decision has never been overturned.

To read more about it go to U.S. Reports: Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905). | Library of Congress

Yes, that gives you the right to curl up in the fetal position, and hide under your bed. You are perfectly free to do so.

How many of their 3.3 million residents has Michigan tested for COVID-19?

Alaska has a population of 730,000. There have been a total of 833 (0.11%) people who tested positive for COVID-19 out of 101,792 (13.94%) tests administered. Of those 833 who tested positive, 519 (62.3%) have already recovered. There have been a total of 14 (0.0019%) COVID-19 related deaths in Alaska. Which is on par with the typical influenza virus that hits us each and every year.

Source: Alaska COVID-19 Statistics: 833 Cases / 14 Deaths / 519 Recovered / 101,792 Tests / Avg cases/day rate of 17 has grew 0% from 14 days ago (Updated Jun 27, 2020 @ 3:08pm)

We completely panicked and utterly destroyed the lives of tens of millions of Americans over nothing. More Americans died during the Hong Kong Flu of 1969 than have died as a result of COVID-19, and we didn't panic and completely destroy our economy in 1969.

I Edited my post that Michigan has performed about 1 million tests.

From Click on Detroit

DETROIT – Michigan has officially surpassed one million total tests, according to data from the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

As of June 20, Michigan reported 1,065,902 total tests -- 923,961 diagnostic tests and 141,941 serology (anti-body) tests.

On April 21, Michigan reported 121,298 total tests, which was the 11th most total tests in the U.S. But when compared to tests per 1 million (population), Michigan was 25th, with 12,182 tests at that rate.

Now, as of June 22, Michigan ranks 12th in testing rate and 7th in total tests in the U.S., according to WorldOMeters.

The positive rate has remained low, around 2 percent daily, down from around 30 percent in mid-April.

* note less testing was carried out in April it was restricted for front line workers , people who had symptoms or those who had been exposed to Covid 19.

Last edited:
Yes, that gives you the right to curl up in the fetal position, and hide under your bed. You are perfectly free to do so.

Notice that he pointed you to the Library of Congress, and not the Supreme Court. That is because he didn't want you to read the actual decision. ldsrptcvt is being deliberately dishonest with you. The Supreme Court never once gave government the permission to violate the US Constitution whenever it suited them. Just the opposite actually:

While a local regulation, even if based on the acknowledged police power of a State, must always yield in case of conflict with the exercise by the General Government of any power it possesses under the Constitution, the mode or manner of exercising its police power is wholly within the discretion of the State so long as the Constitution of the United States is not contravened, or any right granted or secured thereby is not infringed, or not exercised in such an arbitrary and oppressive manner as to justify the interference of the courts to prevent wrong and oppression.

The above quote comes from Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905).

I Edited my post that Michigan has performed 1 million tests.

We have been testing about 14,000 a day for the last few and about 3 percent come back positive in May and June.

In April when tests were only given front line workers or those with symptoms or who had been exposed came back 30 percent positive.

You've tested less than a third of your population, and we've tested less than one seventh of our population. That indicates that COVID-19 cases will continue to increase in Michigan. As they will in Alaska, and most likely in every other State as well. Not everyone will be tested either. Furthermore, the tests only indicate who has COVID-19 at the time. An hour after taking the test and getting a negative result someone could become infected with COVID-19.

What is the purpose of testing? We already know the end result, COVID-19 will permeate the entire population eventually. That is what viruses do. There is no stopping it. So why waste millions testing people?

If you are feeling ill and want to be tested in order to determine the best treatment for your illness, that makes perfect sense. However, testing people willy-nilly makes no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:
You've tested less than a third of your population, and we've tested less than one seventh of our population. That indicates that COVID-19 cases will continue to increase in Michigan. As they will in Alaska, and most likely in every other State as well. Not everyone will be tested either. Furthermore, the tests only indicate who has COVID-19 at the time. An hour after taking the test and getting a negative result someone could become infected with COVID-19.

What is the purpose of testing? We already know the end result, COVID-19 will permeate the entire population eventually. That is what viruses do. There is no stopping it. So why waste millions testing people?

If you are feeling ill and want to be tested in order to determine the best treatment for your illness, that makes perfect sense. However, testing people willy-nilly makes no sense whatsoever.

Testing people tells us if we are on our Way to a containment of The virus.

Once the virus is contained it will die out.

Also vaccines can stop a disease/ virus.

Small pox was stopped with the aid of vaccinations.

With the vaccines used all over the world we killed the spread.

By 1972 small pox vaccines were not even needed anymore since the only small pox virus left in the whole world was smaples locked away in labs.

So since you believe wearing a mask will prevent you from getting the virus why is it so important to you that others follow your lead? You apparently believe that masks work so wear one and quit trying to force others to do something you believe works since their actions will not affect you

You do not seem understand why masks are recommended.

I guess I will spoon fed you the info and hope you can understand that wearing masks helps by protecting others.

But we also know you can’t rebuild if you’re dead.

And those of us healthy enough to survive COVID-19 could still spread it to someone who is not, without knowing it. We are all potential victims. We are all potential killers. That’s how insidious this disease is.

Last edited:
Testing people tells us if we are on our Way to a containment of The virus.
There is no containment of the virus! That is what you are not grasping. Once out of the lab and in the public there is no containing it. It will continue to spread until it completely saturates the entirely world population. In the days before the global economy you might be able to find isolated pockets that have never come in contact with the virus, but that hasn't been true for 50+ years. Today everyone is exposed to every virus, regardless where it appears on the planet.

Once the virus is contained it will die out.
No, it won't, because it cannot be contained. After the virus has infected the entire world it will have done all it is capable of doing. Some will die, most will feel ill, some will experience no ill effects at all. COVID-19 will run its course and infect everyone eventually.

Also vaccines can stop a disease/ virus.
No, they can't. Vaccines can provide temporary immunity, providing they are constructed properly. They don't stop anything. If constructed improperly, a vaccine could also give you COVID-19.

Small pox was stopped with the aid of vaccinations.
Correction, children were given temporary immunity to small pox due to vaccinations, and that eventually removed small pox from the population. Vaccines don't kill anything, they help prevent the disease/virus from gaining purchase in the first place. Getting a vaccine AFTER you have contracted the disease/virus won't do anything, it has to be administered before you contract the illness.

With the vaccines used all over the world we killed the spread.
By giving people temporary immunity, yes, the spread of small pox has been effectively stopped.

By 1972 small pox vaccines were not even needed anymore since the only small pox virus left in the whole world was smaples locked away in labs.

These are the vaccinations being given today between the ages of 0 and 18:
  • Chickenpox (Varicella)
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, and whooping cough (pertussis) (DTaP)
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Hepatitis A (HepA)
  • Hepatitis B (HepB)
  • HPV vaccine
  • Measles, mumps, rubella (MMR)
  • Meningococcal conjugate vaccine
  • Polio (IPV)
  • Pneumococcal (PCV)
  • Rotavirus (RV)

Source: Recommended Vaccines by Age | CDC

Last edited:
Back