• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It Is Not Your Constitutional Right To Not Wear A Mask

You do not seem understand why masks are recommended.

I guess I will spoon fed you the info and hope you can understand that wearing masks helps by protecting others.

CDC recommendats using masks to protect others.

We are all in this together. We should help protect each other from Covid 19.

As Mitch Albom ( an author ) reminds us :

The Michigan I know doesn't lose its head in a pandemic | Mitch Albom

No, I completely understand why masks are RECOMMENDED but what I don't understand is why that is a concern for those here who are wearing masks? Please don't insult anyone else's intelligence by claiming that the left cares about those getting the virus especially those here in this forum because this is all about politics, earning political points during a pandemic, diverting from the terrible alternative to Trump, and placing blame on Trump out of pure idiotic partisanship

Here is the bottom line, you don't want to catch the virus, practice social distancing, wear a mask, quarantine when necessary but realize you cannot force someone to do what you are doing nor does it really matter. This personal responsibility issue is part of the freedom we have as Americans, freedom to even make bad decisions.

No, I completely understand why masks are RECOMMENDED but what I don't understand is why that is a concern for those here who are wearing masks? Please don't insult anyone else's intelligence by claiming that the left cares about those getting the virus especially those here in this forum because this is all about politics, earning political points during a pandemic, diverting from the terrible alternative to Trump, and placing blame on Trump out of pure idiotic partisanship

Here is the bottom line, you don't want to catch the virus, practice social distancing, wear a mask, quarantine when necessary but realize you cannot force someone to do what you are doing nor does it really matter. This personal responsibility issue is part of the freedom we have as Americans, freedom to even make bad decisions.

I know the DP is a political forum but I try to stay away from the fray of politics.

I post mainly about health issues.

Covid 19 is and should be a health issue.

Covid 19 is not a political issue.

We are all in this together.

We should all do whatever we can do to slow the spread of Covid 19 until medications or vaccines can slow it to a crawl or even eradicate Covid 19.

We eradicated small pox and I believe that each of us doing what can ( and mask wearing is a very small thing even my Just turned year old Granddaughter does ) do to help slow Covid 19 does save lives.

Last edited:
The Supreme Court is tasked with interpreting the Constitution.

Here is a decision involving public health:

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a*United States Supreme Court*case presided over by Judge John Marshall Harlan. The decision gave the collective citizenry the right to protect itself:

“Harlan ruled that personal liberties could be suspended when "the safety of the general public may demand" for example during a smallpox outbreak.[7]*He compared the smallpox outbreak to the*American Civil War*(in which three out of nine Justices at the term served) by saying that a community has the right to protect itself from both disease and military invasion.[6] “

This decision has never been overturned.

To read more about it go to U.S. Reports: Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905). | Library of Congress

I'm curious how Plantation Joe intends to force his mask in public mandate?

Then your mask isn't helping anyone.

It might be helping others . How do I know if or if not I am carrier unless I was tested?

It is estimated that about 17 % of positive patients show no symptoms.

Last edited:
It might be helping others.

Not if you aren't infected. And if you ARE infected, you should self-quarantine, not be out in public with a mask.

Testing is key. Masks are not.

Not if you aren't infected. And if you ARE infected, you should self-quarantine, not be out in public with a mask.

Testing is key. Masks are not.

The CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

The CDC guidelines are if one has a fever or other Covid 19 symptoms or if one knows he or she has exposed to someone who has Covid 19.

Quarantine and Isolation | CDC

Last edited:
The CDC recommends...

The CDC recommends that you self-quarantine if infected, not go about business with a mask on. To refuse testing in favor of just wearing a cloth mask is to help spread covid-19.

The CDC recommends that you self-quarantine if infected, not go about business with a mask on. To refuse testing in favor of just wearing a cloth mask is to help spread covid-19.

Have you been tested?

Unless you are feeling ill, what is the point of testing? If you are feeling poorly and you want to determine why, then testing makes sense. The more information you have about your condition the better your treatment will be. However, if you feel fine and are showing no symptoms of an illness, then there is no point in getting tested.

All testing does is tell you what your state of health is at that time. The state of your health could change an hour after taking the test. So there is no point in testing anyone, other than those who already feel poorly.

Unless you are feeling ill, what is the point of testing?
I apologize for how condescending this sounds: the purpose of getting tested....is to see if you have it, because a lot of carriers are asymptomatic.

If everyone can be tested, then it should be done. Otherwise people should perform neccessary functions under the law while taking resonable precautions. The cloth mask doesn't protect ourselves, but it will protect others if we so happen to be asypmtomatic. A swift economic recovery rests on people taking this seriously regardless of government or corporate input. Not doing so ensures that we will experience a 'morse code' effect where cases and deaths spike and public fear supercedes any recommendations.

I apologize for how condescending this sounds: the purpose of getting tested....is to see if you have it, because a lot of carriers are asymptomatic.

I wouldn't say "a lot." Asymptomatic carriers are always very rare, and it hardly warrants testing a population of millions. Besides, once everyone has the virus (which is inevitable) then there is no point in testing, except to confirm which virus you've contracted.

If everyone can be tested, then it should be done.
Germany is proof that everyone can be tested. Covid-19 SHOULD have opened everyone's eyes to how our government stands in the way of our mutual health by blocking independent researchers from even attempting to develop a cheap COVID test. But no, instead of working together like Germany did, we're bitching at each other about masks.

Yes. Twice.

I'm impressed as I or wife have not. I would like to get tested for antibodies but it is not that easy to obtain.

I really have no idea what the solution is for the virus. Early on we had a friend who got tested due to symptoms and it took 8 days to get the results.

But even if you could get tested at the 7-11 you might be Negative on Monday but Positive on Wednesday. That is the ugly reality of all of this.

The mask is just an attempt to slow the virus down until we might have a vaccine.

A workable vaccine would truly be the only real solution. And then you have your anti-vaccine crowd and the crowd who doesn't believe there is a virus.

Perhaps we are all just screwed .

I'm impressed as I or wife have not. I would like to get tested for antibodies but it is not that easy to obtain.

I really have no idea what the solution is for the virus. Early on we had a friend who got tested due to symptoms and it took 8 days to get the results.

But even if you could get tested at the 7-11 you might be Negative on Monday but Positive on Wednesday. That is the ugly reality of all of this.

The mask is just an attempt to slow the virus down until we might have a vaccine.

A workable vaccine would truly be the only real solution. And then you have your anti-vaccine crowd and the crowd who doesn't believe there is a virus.

Perhaps we are all just screwed .

The solution is, again, like Germany...get mass testing going, if you test positive then self-quarantine....put everything into developing a vaccine...and, yes, accept that some number of people are going to die. That's a cold thing to say and I would hate it if anyone I loved died from covid, but that's life.

25-80% of infected people, depending on who you ask. That's "a lot" in my book.

50 Percent of People with COVID-19 Aren'''t Aware They Have Virus

That is ridiculous. Every virus works the same way. It is a bell curve, with those who get sick and die at one extreme, and those who have a natural immunity to the virus at the other end of the extreme. Asymptomatic carriers are always going to be on the very rare side. The current mortality rate for COVID-19 in Alaska is 0.0019% (14 deaths out of 730,000 population) and I would expect asymptomatic carriers are going to appear in that extremely narrow range as well. The overwhelming majority of people will get sick at varying levels. Some will feel the symptoms acutely, but still recover, while others may not even notice their symptoms but still have the virus.

That is ridiculous. Every virus works the same way. It is a bell curve, with those who get sick and die at one extreme, and those who have a natural immunity to the virus at the other end of the extreme. Asymptomatic carriers are always going to be on the very rare side. The current mortality rate for COVID-19 in Alaska is 0.0019% (14 deaths out of 730,000 population) and I would expect asymptomatic carriers are going to appear in that extremely narrow range as well. The overwhelming majority of people will get sick at varying levels. Some will feel the symptoms acutely, but still recover, while others may not even notice their symptoms but still have the virus.

I fear that your math is based on a false assumption. The mortality rate should be deaths vs infected rather than the total population. A portion of the total have not yet been infected and therefor we do not know how many of them might or might not die.

While you are indeed describing the total number of deaths in the total population, that number is a variable, not a constant being presented in the manner you are presenting it here.

Also the statement that every virus works the same way makes an assumption that may not be true. After making that assumption you go on to pretend it is a fact that supports your further assumptions.

Back
Top Bottom