• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

It Is Not Your Constitutional Right To Not Wear A Mask

ldsrptcvt

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
The Supreme Court is tasked with interpreting the Constitution.

Here is a decision involving public health:

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a*United States Supreme Court*case presided over by Judge John Marshall Harlan. The decision gave the collective citizenry the right to protect itself:

“Harlan ruled that personal liberties could be suspended when "the safety of the general public may demand" for example during a smallpox outbreak.[7]*He compared the smallpox outbreak to the*American Civil War*(in which three out of nine Justices at the term served) by saying that a community has the right to protect itself from both disease and military invasion.[6] “

This decision has never been overturned.

To read more about it go to U.S. Reports: Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905). | Library of Congress

Last edited:
No constitutional right invests itself in not wearing a mask in times of crisis.

The Supreme Court is tasked with interpreting the Constitution.

Here is a decision involving public health:

Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905), was a*United States Supreme Court*case presided over by Judge John Marshall Harlan. The decision gave the collective citizenry the right to protect itself:

“Harlan ruled that personal liberties could be suspended when "the safety of the general public may demand" for example during a smallpox outbreak.[7]*He compared the smallpox outbreak to the*American Civil War*(in which three out of nine Justices at the term served) by saying that a community has the right to protect itself from both disease and military invasion.[6] “

This decision has never been overturned.

To read more about it go to U.S. Reports: Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905). | Library of Congress

In Combating Coronavirus, Trump and Governors Act Constitutionally

Writing for the 7-2 majority in Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905), Justice John Marshall Harlan rejected Jacobson’s argument, upholding the state’s right to vaccinate Jacobson against his will.

Citing precedent in which the court had upheld the authority of states “to enact quarantine laws and health laws of every description,” Harlan wrote that “the liberty secured by the Constitution of the United States to every person within its jurisdiction does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.”

He continued:

Society based on the rule that each one is a law unto himself would soon be confronted with disorder and anarchy. Real liberty for all could not exist under the operation of a principle which recognizes the right of each individual person to use his own, whether in respect of his person or his property, regardless of the injury that may be done to others.
Adding that “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic of disease which threatens the safety of its members,” the court held that in response to a potential epidemic of a life-threatening disease, a state can subject its inhabitants “to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”

Actually, it is our right not to wear a mask just like it's a right not to own a gun for personal protection.

Actually, it is our right not to wear a mask just like it's a right not to own a gun for personal protection.

if wearing a mask for the sake of public health is mandated, you have no legal way out

No shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.

Does a bakery have to bake a cake for someone not wearing a mask?

COSTCO.COM Face Covering Requirements
To protect our members and employees, effective May 4, all Costco members and guests must wear a face covering that covers their mouth and nose at all times while at Costco. This requirement does not apply to children under the age of 2 or to individuals who are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical condition.

The use of a face covering should not be seen as a substitute for social distancing. Please continue to observe rules regarding appropriate distancing while on Costco premises. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Last edited:
Liberals don't care what you do, but only as long as it's compulsory by the state.

if wearing a mask for the sake of public health is mandated, you have no legal way out

Unless there's a law passed that mandates it, I damn well have a way out of it.

Liberals don't care what you do, but only as long as it's compulsory by the state.

They'll use these newly found and tested emergency powers to confiscate guns, next.

Unless there's a law passed that mandates it, I damn well have a way out of it.

I believe a local mandate needs to be followed; also if a particular business requires it.
Also, in the case cited in first post, the guy lost and had to be vaccinated against his will

Last edited:

It's my right not to wear clothes at all.

You are absolutely correct... You may decline to wear a mask all day long on your own property.... Going out in public however, you must comply with the laws and orders of the state... For instance, I am free to walk around my home nude all day long... Walking in public nude will often result in an indecency charge...

You might want to ponder the logic of this comparison, assuming you are able to.

You might want to ponder the logic of this comparison, assuming you are able to.

How about you explain how it's wrong? If you're able to.

You are absolutely correct... You may decline to wear a mask all day long on your own property.... Going out in public however, you must comply with the laws and orders of the state... For instance, I am free to walk around my home nude all day long... Walking in public nude will often result in an indecency charge...

I can go out in public and not wear a mask, if I choose, because there is no law mandating that I wear a mask. An executive order is not a law.

It's my right not to wear clothes at all.

There's an actual law against that, though.

Why am I not the lesst bit surprised that the Leftists don't get it?

I can go out in public and not wear a mask, if I choose, because there is no law mandating that I wear a mask. An executive order is not a law.

Appealing to human decency wouldn't work?

I believe a local mandate needs to be followed; also if a particular business requires it.
Also, in the case cited in first post, the guy lost and had to be vaccinated against his will

Pass a law and then you can insist it be followed.

How would you react if a mayor ordered you to carry a gun every time you went out in public "in the interest of public safety"?

There's an actual law against that, though.

Why am I not the lesst bit surprised that the Leftists don't get it?

I was talking about rights, not laws.

They'll use these newly found and tested emergency powers to confiscate guns, next.

These laws aren’t “newly found.” DOH is granted this authority by long-standing statutes passed by State Legislatures and upheld by the Supreme Court in multiple cases.

That certainly seems to be a common thread. Damn.

Feel free...your ignorance of the law could be very costly... I would educate you on public emergency law but you won't listen anyway...

Your rights have equal responsibilities to others firmly attached to them and since you are part of a society you cannot willfully infect others because you do not take reasonable precautions. As someone who is far more intelligent than me stated it, the US Constitution is not a suicide pact. Life in the US isn't just about you and what you want.

Back
Top Bottom