• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Islamophobic right has reached Germany?

Perhaps if the moderates were to actually espose a moderate position rather than indulging in such cheap framing devices and finger pointing accusations, they might elicit a more moderate reaction. Who is doing what here, exactly, though? I just read a post accusing people of being chauvenistic bigots without an education, for instance, so perhaps the pots should not be so quick to judge the kettles.

Gardener, you should cut the guy some slack. He hasn't indulged in any of those things which you ascribe to the behaviour of 'pro-Islam apologists'. Read the thread from page 1 and you'll see he's sincere and completely unbigotted in his arguments. In response he received buckets of wild generalisations about 'Europeans' as if they were some homogenous, single ethnic nationality, comments that wouldn't be accurate even then. Such as...

Europeans in general have a real hard time looking in the mirror. It has become far to easy to stare across the ocean and exaggerate everything America does. And I believe there is a psychological purpose for this that is legitimized through European institutions. Why else are America's contributions to Europe since WWI become less and less significant with every passing generation? You see, Europeans will have the world belkieve that future generations are closer to the truth and reality of things than their ancestors were who lived through America's contributions. But this is a lie and it is intended to sooth European identities of past historical truths.

I've got a bit of time for MSgt, but his tack was wholly uncalled for as German Guy didn't do any finger pointing or generalising about the US, quite the opposite, he pointed out how much he does not share that alleged attitude of some Europeans. Why project onto him your frustration at the actions of others. He has been nothing but rational and courteous throughout. I would have thought you'd welcome a relatively new, moderate and thoughtful poster to the forum.

:lol:

Several time, I explicitly made clear that this is not supposed to be an attack on America as a whole

This is clearly nonsense.

In a thread begun by you, you said "Considering the craziness around the Tea Party, 9/11-mosque debate or Quran burnings you American buddies have to contemplate about these days, I thought it might cheer you up a little when I tell you you at least aren't alone anymore".

Now why would you, as a German, first mention the Tea Party, the 9/11 mosque debate or the Koran burnings in an article about some guy in Germany? Do you really believe you're telling your "American buddies" anything about American issues?

That Europeans think they know more about America than Americans is one of their most consistently arrogant traits. And you have no idea how stupid you sound.

If an American were to explain contemporary German politics and issues to a German they would rightly be laughed at. But the poor clueless Europeans obsess about America all the time, despite frequently being warned that their media is largely crap.

Why do you people persist in this craziness?

Here's a recent article on this latest European madness. I doubt Europeans can read it all the way through but others might be interested.

American Thinker: Europe's Lynch Mob Mentality

Gardener, you should cut the guy some slack. He hasn't indulged in any of those things which you ascribe to the behaviour of 'pro-Islam apologists'. Read the thread from page 1 and you'll see he's sincere and completely unbigotted in his arguments.

You don't see any bigotry because it's being directed against Americans, who are always fair game in Euopre. You're quite accustomed to it and see this as "normal".

"In response he received buckets of wild generalisations about 'Europeans' as if they were some homogenous, single ethnic nationality, comments that wouldn't be accurate even then".

They are all much the same in their core anti American beliefs. That's the only thing that binds them together.

I've got a bit of time for MSgt, but his tack was wholly uncalled for as German Guy didn't do any finger pointing or generalising about the US, quite the opposite, he pointed out how much he does not share that alleged attitude of some Europeans.

Further nonsense. I can offer his quotes for everyone to see.

Why project onto him your frustration at the actions of others. He has been nothing but rational and courteous throughout.I would have thought you'd welcome a relatively new, moderate and thoughtful poster to the forum.

He is typically European in that he attempts to gently condemn Americans, believing himself to be a very rational, reasonable human being, but when Americans respond to defend themselves he angrily reverts to the familiar anti American arguments, which I assume Europeans learn in Kindergarten.

Last edited:
This is clearly nonsense.

In a thread begun by you, you said "Considering the craziness around the Tea Party, 9/11-mosque debate or Quran burnings you American buddies have to contemplate about these days, I thought it might cheer you up a little when I tell you you at least aren't alone anymore".

Now why would you, as a German, first mention the Tea Party, the 9/11 mosque debate or the Koran burnings in an article about some guy in Germany? Do you really believe you're telling your "American buddies" anything about American issues?

I've explained often enough what I meant by writing this.

Just one question for you: Considering the broad generalizations you make about Europeans, how is your behavior any different or better than what you accuse Europeans of, if you apply the same yardstick?

Looks like classic projection to me. You have made your views on Europe pretty clear: You broadly generalize, you believe you know Europe better than Europeans, discard arguments brought up not because of their inherent merit, but use ad hominem attacks by discarding them on the basis it were Europeans advancing them. And you broadly generalize Europeans and look down on them, claiming you are something that's better.

So how is this any different from what you accuse Europeans of? Just wondering.

And if that kind of reaction, just because of half a sentence that was even qualified, is representative for Americans, don't you think that maybe, it is no wonder at all when Europeans develop arrogant feelings towards Americans? When time and again, they are attacked, ridiculed, words put into their mouths by rabid Americans with foam dripping from their mouths, who are just looking for the cheapest excuse to vent their arrogant, chauvinistic hatred against Europeans based on the basest nationalistic feelings?

I know this is not representative for Americans. But you are not exactly giving a good example to make your nation appear better, certainly not better than the Europeans you are attacking, aren't you?

Last edited:
I've explained often enough what I meant by writing this.

And I'm quite certain that starting a thread about a German, but first mentioning American issues, is perfectly normal for you. It makes sense to a European. On the other hand if I was to start a thread about Germans I would just mention Germans. That is what we do and is one of our differences.

Just one question for you: Considering the broad generalizations you make about Europeans, how is your behavior any different or better than what you accuse Europeans of, if you apply the same yardstick?

I am not anti American That is the biggest difference.

Given European history, I doubt many of them realize what a difference having good neighbours means. In fact the Americans have always bbeen excellent neighbours, ready to help out whenever they can and Canadians feel the same way about them. The only comparable similarity, as far as good neighbours go, would be New Zealand or Australia. I've lived in both places and they are fine people and good neighbours also.

Looks like classic projection to me. You have made your views on Europe pretty clear: You broadly generalize, you believe you know Europe better than Europeans, discard arguments brought up not because of their inherent merit, but use ad hominem attacks by discarding them on the basis it were Europeans advancing them. And you broadly generalize Europeans and look down on them, claiming you are something that's better.

Yep!

So how is this any different from what you accuse Europeans of? Just wondering.[/QUOTE]

And I'm quite certain that starting a thread about a German, but first mentioning American issues, is perfectly normal for you. It makes sense to a European. On the other hand if I was to start a thread about Germans I would just mention Germans. That is what we do and is one of our differences.

I've mentioned American events first, because this is a forum mostly populated by Americans, so I wanted to give an introduction. I had no idea that there are Americans who consider Europeans inferior by default and feel their national pride is under attack, just because a European talks to them on the same eyelevel. In fact, I held Americans to a higher standard and naturally assumed they will not look down on me, just because I am European. Apparently, I was wrong, as your nationalistic tirade full of chauvinistic anti-European hatred has proven.

When next time, another European asks me what I know about Americans, I will be able to tell them that there are some that are so insecure and have such a big nationalistic ego that they consider it an attack already, whenever a European even assumes they are not their masters, and whenever Europeans mistakenly assume that they can talk with Americans on the same eyelevel and with respect, because this respect will not be returned.

Last edited:
I've mentioned American events first, because this is a forum mostly populated by Americans, so I wanted to give an introduction.

There are plenty of European countries sharing similar problems. Why not point to Irish events? Or Dutch views? What do you know about the Tea party, for example. Very little, right?

I had no idea that there are Americans who consider Europeans inferior by default and feel their national pride is under attack, just because a European talks to them on the same eyelevel.

You are not talking to them on the same eye level.
In fact, I held Americans to a higher standard and naturally assumed they will not look down on me, just because I am European.

In fact they do, now.

Apparently, I was wrong, as your nationalistic tirade full of chauvinistic anti-European hatred has proven.

Nationalistic? Chauvinistic? I'm a Canadian defending my neighbours against this ongoing barrage of loony anti Americanism. What have I to gain from any of this? I just want it to stop because Europe is going to be the loser, as we can see already. Can you explain to me what good anti Americanism does for Europe?
When next time, another European asks me what I know about Americans, I will be able to tell them that there are some that are so insecure and have such a big nationalistic ego that they consider it an attack already, whenever a European even assumes they are not their masters, and whenever Europeans mistakenly assume that they can talk with Americans on the same eyelevel and with respect, because this respect will not be returned.

You tell them what you want. You'll certainly have no problem finding a ready audience. But it really doesn't matter anymore

There are plenty of European countries sharing similar problems. Why not point to Irish events? Or Dutch views?

Did I say we cannot debate these topics? I, for example, centered my posting about views in Germany. It was just you and some others who a very short, half sentence out of the context to make this a debate about America and started a nationalistic dick-size-competition out of this thread.

What do you know about the Tea party, for example. Very little, right?

Probably much more than you think. What do you know about Dutch views, or German views? Isn't it a tad arrogant from your side to claim to have all that knowledge, but on the other side attacking me for something you assume I don't know much about?

You are not talking to them on the same eye level.

I do. I've tried to remain respectful, and I received nothing but nationalistic hatred and chauvinism from you and others, who start a strawman moslestation orgy, because you wish to attack not what I said and explained I said, but because of what you read into it.

Look, I do not think you are my enemy. I don't think I am better than you. And I don't want to fight against you. I will do my best not to put words into your mouth, and when there is a misunderstanding, I will ask you about it and then respect your explanation. Please show me the same respect and if you feel rubbed the wrong way, let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

So please don't attack me for things I didn't say you just believe I meant. To clarify where I stand, I will answer a few questions, so please address them if you want to continue this debate, instead of things I didn't say.

Do I believe there is islamophobia in Europe? Yes.
Do I believe there is islamophobia in the US? Yes.
Do I think Europe is better than America? No.
Do I believe Americans in general are xenophobic or islamophobic? No.
Do I believe Europeans in general are xenophobic or islamophobic? No.
Is it an attack on America and the national pride of Americans, when a non-American points to islamophobia in America? No.
Is it unfair when a European generalizes America by claiming that entire nation is islamophobic? Yes.
Is it an attack on Europe's pride and identity when an American debates islamophobia in Europe? No.
Is it an unfair generalization and a sign of chauvinism when an American blames Europe in general for islamophobia? Yes.
Are there arrogant anti-American bigots in Europe? Yes.
Are all European that way? No.
Are there arrogant anti-European bigots in America? Yes.
Are all Americans that way? No.

So next time you debate me, please show me the respect and debate these points of things I tell you I mean and believe, instead of putting words into my mouth and then attacking them. Or ask me more questions. I'll do my best to respond fair and without malice.

Last edited:
Did I say we cannot debate these topics? I, for example, centered my posting about views in Germany. It was just you and some others who a very short, half sentence out of the context to make this a debate about America and started a nationalistic dick-size-competition out of this thread.

You began this thread about US issues you know nothing about and did so with the manner of someone who is quite sure of the correct position. Of course you know little of these American issues but, being European, that will never prevent you from offering your opinion.

Probably much more than you think. What do you know about Dutch views, or German views? Isn't it a tad arrogant from your side to claim to have all that knowledge, but on the other side attacking me for something you assume I don't know much about?

I don't pretend to know anything abut Dutch or German political issues, which is why I don't comment on them. But you comment on the Tea Party, for example, and in a negative way of course, with the idea that you have some idea of what you''re talking about. This is pretentious as well as foolish. And arrogant.

I do. I've tried to remain respectful, and I received nothing but nationalistic hatred and chauvinism from you and others, who start a strawman moslestation orgy, because you wish to attack not what I said and explained I said, but because of what you read into it.

Perhaps you have tried to be respectful from a German point of view, or European point of view, but it's clear that the subject of your polite inquiry didn't feel the same, and I don't blame them. I can easily quote back to you the offensive, and erroneous, things you have said in this thread you started. Do i have to do that?
Look, I do not think you are my enemy. I don't think I am better than you. And I don't want to fight against you. I will do my best not to put words into your mouth, and when there is a misunderstanding, I will ask you about it and then respect your explanation. Please show me the same respect and if you feel rubbed the wrong way, let me know and I'll do my best to explain.

I am not your enemy, nor am I your friend. We have little in common anymore, and I think that's a pity.

I'm Canadian and no matter what happens between the United States and Europe we will always side, in the end, with the United States. So will the other English speaking countries and most of the rest of the world. Why support Europe? Can you think of any reason why Canadians, for example, would do that? Morally or in Realpolitik? How would that be to Canada's advantage?

An opinion piece I mentioned in an earlier post offers some explanation for the anti Americanism in Europe and it's as good an explanation as any. Otherwise it has been nothing but self defeating. Maybe it made you feel better for a while. Who really knows for sure?

So please don't attack me for things I didn't say you just believe I meant. To clarify where I stand, I will answer a few questions, so please address them if you want to continue this debate, instead of things I didn't say.

I'll certainly quote some of things you said that are anti American and very familiar to anyone, like myself, who has been following these sorts of debates for several years. Always it eventually comes down to "What about the Indians?"

So next time you debate me, please show me the respect and debate these points of things I tell you I mean and believe, instead of putting words into my mouth and then attacking them. Or ask me more questions. I'll do my best to respond fair and without malice.

No problem. I'm mostly interested in anti Americanism so otherwise don't get involved as much. That keeps me busy enough.

Good luck to you.

You don't see any bigotry because it's being directed against Americans, who are always fair game in Euopre. You're quite accustomed to it and see this as "normal".
I didn't see it because it wasn't there. Where in "Considering the craziness around the Tea Party, 9/11-mosque debate or Quran burnings you American buddies have to contemplate about these days," is the attack on America? Sounds pretty sympathetic to normal people who aren't full of rage and fear looking for slights in everything. And you claim it's the liberals who are obsessed with politically correct speech.

He is typically European in that he attempts to gently condemn Americans, believing himself to be a very rational, reasonable human being, but when Americans respond to defend themselves he angrily reverts to the familiar anti American arguments, which I assume Europeans learn in Kindergarten.
He did nothing angrily, that's you projecting. You do everything angrily, except debate. I'm looking forward to the day you give that a try.

I didn't see it because it wasn't there. Where in "Considering the craziness around the Tea Party, 9/11-mosque debate or Quran burnings you American buddies have to contemplate about these days," is the attack on America? Sounds pretty sympathetic to normal people who aren't full of rage and fear looking for slights in everything. And you claim it's the liberals who are obsessed with politically correct speech.

Right. Any American member of the Tea Party or against the construction a Mosque near the site of 9/11 is "full of rage and fear". This is the European take and I accept it as such.. But of course, in reality, you are completely out of touch.

He did nothing angrily, that's you projecting. You do everything angrily, except debate. I'm looking forward to the day you give that a try.

"Considering the craziness around the Tea Party, 9/11-mosque debate or Quran burnings you American buddies have to contemplate about these days, I thought it might cheer you up a little when I tell you you at least aren't alone anymore:

Is it really culture? Maybe it's the American tendency not to acknowledge social differences as a problem society is facing, but as individual problems: Those who are bad off don't try hard enough. When you're poor, it's your own fault, and it's not because society doesn't give you a chance by failing to offer equality of opportunities. Increasing spending on education and social programs? Naw, that's "socialism" and thus anti-American and evil. So when blacks are still poor, it's not because they are disadvantaged, but it must be their "culture", their attitudes or their behavior. That's certainly easier than thinking of means to improve equality of opportunities.

Unless, of course, you hold a mindset right out of the Nazi playbook, where everybody "who is not with us, is against us" and anybody questioning the actions of a respective government automatically is a traitor (which is an interesting way to look at people practizing the civil right of free speech and the democratic duty of checking government power against executive excesses, which seems familiar to both genuine Nazis and parts of the American right, because it's a perfect sledghammer-argument to destroy everybody who stands against a government that blatantly violates basic civil and human right standards in genuine authoritarian fashion. And authoritarian fashion righteously wrapped in the flag is just what Nazis and parts of the American right love).

A widespread, increasingly rabid islamophobic sentiment among both the American and the German population that in many ways closely resembles the anti-Semitism of the 20s and 30s

For the record: My words were meant as light-hearted teasing, not more.

Someone apparently took offense by my mentioning of the Tea Party. I explained my rationale behind it. If you disagree, fine, I may be wrong. But why doesn't it even take more than half of a tongue-in-cheek reference to cause you to make a nationalistic dick-size-competition out of it? Why can't you folks not just relax a little and debate what was actually said, instead of starting a strawmen-molestation orgy out of a weird feeling of national superiority?

I am not sure how you could possibly get the impression I attempted to qualify, justify or distract from islamophobia in Germany and Europe by pointing to America. If you had actually read and understood my posting, as well as my later replies, you'd have realized that I'm doing the exact opposite: I condemn islamophobia, especially in Germany, and just mentioned the international context that this new islamophobia is not an exclusively German thing, but prevalent within various Western countries.

I think we can further agree as well that Germany today is no longer a country dominated by suprematist thoughts as under Nazi rule, just like America is no longer a country dominated by racist slave owners.

I just superficially mentioned islamophobic events in America (again: obviously for everybody with basic reading comprehension skills, not to justify anything that happened in these regards in Europe), and the mere mentioning of these events, which are unfortunately sad facts, are too much for your nationalism to swallow, because apparently, in your eyes, pointing to facts that make America appear not perfect are an attack on you personally, on your honor and on your nation.

The protestors against the Ground Zero mosque invited Geert Wilders, currently Europe's #1 islamophobic Muslim-hater (from the Netherlands), who then held a speech there.

Of course I did not mean to imply chauvinism or islamophobia is an originally American thing and Europe had been entirely innocent on that field before. But I don't think Europe is generally more chauvinistic than America either. It's a problem we all share and always have to have an eye on.

Of course I can only speak for myself, and I can't comment on debates you had with other Europeans. But is it maybe possible that this is just the impression you got from Europeans that were fed up with the very common American high-horse nationalism other people have demonstrated? You will probably admit that there are quite a few Americans, also around here and on the nets, that are rather full of themselves, consider any pointing to an American flaw a personal attack and show an extremely arrogant attitude, as if it had them themselves, personally, who, with bare hands, struggled Hitler's neck, single-handedly liberated the world from Nazism and brought the Berlin Wall to collapse, informing this horrible ungrateful European Nazi and Commie-scum that they are not worth enough to even have an opinion on America, let alone criticize things that happen there?

And although that hardly is hard empirical data, I believe islamophobia is at least not less prevalent in America these days, than it is in Europe: The mosque protests were a good indication. You find dozens of polls that more than 50% of Americans hold "not favorable" opinions of Islam in general, and more than 60% oppose the mosque (and don't tell me that's not islamophobia -- only the fewest people will oppose it because of the bad sight or city planning reasons, but most based on the notion that "Islam in general = terrorism").

And let's not forget that this anti-Muslim feeling is partly responsible for starting and maintaining several wars and military missions that resulted in the death of several dozens of thousands of Muslim -- regardless if you think this war is justified or not, which would be topic for an entirely different debate. The point is, like the wars or not, it's a good part islamophobia that made them possible ("let's show it to them!").

Our Muslims are your Mexicans. Americans hate "illegal immigrants" (code for "poor Latino") for taking your jobs, some even form militias to keep them out. But this kind of American xenophobia is not connected to islamophobia, as it is in Europe.

You want to bring them freedom and democracy, and once you made it, they'll be all nice and fine? If that's your idea, I couldn't imagine a more dangerously naive and absurd idea. And reality has completely demolished all good intentions that may have been the root for this idea: Iraq is still unstable, may fall into civil war or to Iran and on the long run make the entire region more hostile. Thanks to Bush's grandstanding talks ("crusade") and the ... let's cautiously say: "exaggerations" prior to the Iraq war have given not few in the Muslim world the impression this is a war of the West against all Muslims, and they became the best recruitment machine bin Laden and his al-Qaida could have ever hoped for.

Many disoriented angry young Muslims in Europe got the idea it may be cool to play tough terrorist as well, because of that. Thank you very much.

It's Europeans who, maybe in a faulty manner, but with best intentions, have taken their lesson from the past and now, without the burden of any individual responsibility whatsoever, point to Americans whose attitude shows an eery similarity to the exact attitude that made their grandpa a criminal.

And islamophobia in America, as I explained above, goes far beyond some nuts not even burning Quran books. Far, far beyond. Just one example: Before Sarrazin published his book in Germany, several Americans had published books with very similar topics already. And popular pundits time and again connect Islam in general to violence, terrorism and all kind of ugly excesses.

When the Mohammed-cartoons were published in Denmark, the public reaction was much stronger and more hateful within the American right-wing blogosphere and general media. And if you want to find an ilk of quasi-fascist American Muslim-haters, it's the easiest thing you can do on the internet.

Again, I don't want to say America is worse than Europe, in these regards. But if you believe it is any better, you are lying to yourself.

No. As I said above, it goes far beyond it. I compare it to 68% of Americans apparently believing in the equation "Islam in general = terrorism". To more than 50% of Americans answering in polls they hold an "unfavorable view" of Islam in general. Of huge mob ralleys inviting people like Geert Wilders. Of former Vice Presidents who compare Islam in general to neo-Nazism. Of popular pundits in the mainstream media permanently hammering the myth "Islam = terrorism" into the heads of their audience, and fostering hatred against the President by emphasizing his middle name. By more than 20% hating the President because they wrongly believe he is a Muslim. By the large number of people who find a President sinister and not trustworthy, just because of his name, his heritage and well probably his skin color too. The many fundamentalist Christians who consider Muslims to be doomed and see the entire conflict as a crusade.

You really want me to do that, right? Do I have a choice? Do you really leave me one? Here you go.

Native Americans. Blacks. Manifest Destiny. Ku-Klux-Klan. Japanese internment camps. Illegal immigrants. Welfare queens.

So you have one genocide on your national hands (although maybe not as big in numbers and less well planned than our one), a few centuries of slavery and exterminating the culture of blacks, additional few decades of legal racial discrimination (hey, as far as I know, slavery has been abolished in Germany since around 1808 already!) and wild lynching mobs for the purpose of ethnically cleansing their lands. Then in times of war, you didn't care much for the civil rights of those of your fellow citizens who happened to have ancestors from your enemy country. And certainly, you won't tell me that you don't have people anymore today, who still suspect, dislike or even hate blacks, "illegal immigrants" and whose worst dream it is they may wake up one day, and English speaking whites are a minority.

Here you go, you left me no choice but saying that.

But let me explain again that I don't mean this as an attack on today's America, or as support for the absurd claim that Europe is somehow better. Of course it isn't. What you said proves that. But as I see it, you hardly have any basis for claiming a historical-moral high ground at all. We are apples from the same tree, you guys over the ocean and we guys here: Same stem, same roots, same ****."

You began this thread about US issues you know nothing about ...

I do.

...and did so with the manner of someone who is quite sure of the correct position.

So your problem with me is that I have certain opinions and am quite sure about them, because apparently, only Canadians or Americans are supposed to have opinions, but when a European does so, that's a no-no?

I would have appreciated it if you had replied to these opinions of mine, instead of attacking my nationality or continent. Maybe I could have learnt one thing or the other.

Of course you know little of these American issues but, being European, that will never prevent you from offering your opinion.

I have been debating topics of American politics with Americans and others for years. Most of the time, Americans did not believe a European is by default not supposed to have an opinion, because they too believed it's better to address an argument, rather than committing the ad hominem-fallacy of attacking the nationality of the person advancing that opinion, or assuming any European pointing to a problem in America is attacking their nation in general, with the intention of hurting their national feelings.

I don't pretend to know anything abut Dutch or German political issues, which is why I don't comment on them.

Yet you pretend to know very well what Europeans are like, and even the best efforts from my side did not make you rethink your prejudice. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it you who agreed that Europeans in general have not changed since WW2, and are responsible for evil on this planet throughout the entire history?

But you comment on the Tea Party, for example, and in a negative way of course, with the idea that you have some idea of what you''re talking about. This is pretentious as well as foolish. And arrogant.

There were many Americans who told me what they think about the Tea Party, who also were interested in my opinion. I may not know more about the Tea Party than quite a few Americans, but I think I know more about it than most Europeans. And I know that it has been a topic of heated debate in America, and that quite a few Americans would advance similar opinions about it as I did. I even explicitly said that I may be wrong about the Tea Party.

I guess my mistake is that I am on the wrong continent. Europeans are not supposed to have an opinion on North American topics, because apparently, it's not opinions are arguments that have validity and merit, but their validity and merit depends on the one advancing them. That's called "ad hominim fallacy".

Perhaps you have tried to be respectful from a German point of view, or European point of view, but it's clear that the subject of your polite inquiry didn't feel the same, and I don't blame them. I can easily quote back to you the offensive, and erroneous, things you have said in this thread you started. Do i have to do that?

Yes, but under two conditions: 1) When something I wrote came over the wrong way, please show me the respect to allow me clarify it, and then take my word that's what I meant, instead of attacking things I explicitly said I didn't mean that way, or claiming you know better what I meant than even I myself. And 2): When you think I am erring, please address my arguments, instead of my nationality or my continent. Deal?

I am not your enemy, nor am I your friend. We have little in common anymore, and I think that's a pity.

I'm Canadian and no matter what happens between the United States and Europe we will always side, in the end, with the United States. So will the other English speaking countries and most of the rest of the world. Why support Europe? Can you think of any reason why Canadians, for example, would do that? Morally or in Realpolitik? How would that be to Canada's advantage?

Fortunately, I know quite a few Canadians who think differently. I also know some Americans who look down on Canadians in a similar manner they look down on Europeans, and I also have seen anti-Americanism coming from Canadians.

So don't pretend you speak for anybody than just yourself, because it is obvious you do not.

I'll certainly quote some of things you said that are anti American and very familiar to anyone, like myself, who has been following these sorts of debates for several years. Always it eventually comes down to "What about the Indians?"

That is interesting, and maybe even worthy of further examination, but I fail to see what this has to do with this thread. I did my best not to invoke anything about the Indians, tried for quite a while to resist the impulse from certain posters here to make this a contest about the question whose nation has done more horrible crimes in the past. And I didn't bring it up until some American implied that America is fundamentally different from Europe, because apparently, in his opinion, there is no xenophobia or bigotry in the USA at all. And even when I then did that, I did not claim this is something America still is to blame for, or something that makes America anyhow worse than Europe.

My naive impression was that we share a lot, because both America and most of Europe, Germany at least, are free, democratic republics with free market systems and similar values today. And that in both our societies, there is some trouble because of xenophobia. I neither denied it exists in Europe (hell, this entire topic is about xenophobia in Germany!), and one half sentence, a sloppy, little uncough line I wrote to point to islamophobia in the US (even in the spirit of suggesting we are facing a similar problem in both our countries, hence the "you are no longer alone") was twisted around to call me anti-American, to accuse me of attacking American national pride or to smear Americans in general.

I really had not seen this coming, because I had no idea that people here would hold such a chauvinistic nationalism that they believe a non-American suggesting islamophobia exists in the US as well, is an attack on their national pride. I assumed people would get it the wrong way and understand I was neither suggesting that America in general is worse than Europe, or anyhow is generally islamophobic in its entirety, nor that they would actually believe Germany/Europe in general is such a hellhole where nothing has changed since Adolf's days and thus using islamophobia in Europe to smear the entire continent, as if this problem in Europe was anyhow categorically different from that in the US.

Despite its torrid history from the last century I don't believe that Germany is a problem in the modern world.

Yeah, but you know France was nervous for a few years after that wall came down :)

Yeah, but you know France was nervous for a few years after that wall came down :)

Any evidence to support that assertion? Germany and France are just about as close as any two allies can be, and for that Europe should be very relieved.

Any evidence to support that assertion? Germany and France are just about as close as any two allies can be, and for that Europe should be very relieved.

I don't have a link right on the spot, but the French government was indeed not very fond of the idea of a reunified Germany in 1989/90 at first. I remember one quote from a French diplomat at that time, who allegedly said "I love Germany so much I rather want to have two of them, than just one". ;) But soon, the French sorrows could be relieved (apparently, Chancellor Kohl promised to take further steps of European integration to counter any threat a unified Germany would pose, including the promise to introduce the Euro currency) and France too agreed to Reunification, along with the US, the USSR and Britain.

I don't have a link right on the spot, but the French government was indeed not very fond of the idea of a reunified Germany in 1989/90 at first. I remember one quote from a French diplomat at that time, who allegedly said "I love Germany so much I rather want to have two of them, than just one". ;) But soon, the French sorrows could be relieved (apparently, Chancellor Kohl promised to take further steps of European integration to counter any threat a unified Germany would pose, including the promise to introduce the Euro currency) and France too agreed to Reunification, along with the US, the USSR and Britain.

Thanks for that. It comes as an even greater relief that such nerves have been so thoroughly overcome that France and Germany are now inseparable allies.

OK, Then please explain what you meant by "Considering the craziness around the Tea Party", the first sentence in the first post about the purported subject of this thread? What did you mean by that?

So your problem with me is that I have certain opinions and am quite sure about them, because apparently, only Canadians or Americans are supposed to have opinions, but when a European does so, that's a no-no?

What I am saying is that European opinions about the United States are largely rubbish because, alas, your media is largely rubbish. You think you know but you really don't.

I would have appreciated it if you had replied to these opinions of mine, instead of attacking my nationality or continent. Maybe I could have learnt one thing or the other.

I might have disagreed with you, or agreed, had you discussed the Tea Party but their mention was only gratuitous. You wanted to offer negative opinion of them ("craziness") but then just moved on. That is all too common, and unbecoming to the poster.

I have been debating topics of American politics with Americans and others for years.

Why? Why this obsession about American politics? Why not French politics or British politics? Why pick on an area of the world where your knowledge is rather sketchy. You debate America with Americans? And you find nothing incongruous about this??
Most of the time, Americans did not believe a European is by default not supposed to have an opinion

Sure, most of the time Americans will be gracious and polite, but then they tend to just move on and have a negative opinion of Western Europeans. Remember that the Europeans have been commenting on American policies for many years, and virtually always in a negative manner. That is largely why you just don't matter anymore. Those who matter have largely given up on Europe, and they've made it apparent.
because they too believed it's better to address an argument, rather than committing the ad hominem-fallacy of attacking the nationality of the person advancing that opinion, or assuming any European pointing to a problem in America is attacking their nation in general, with the intention of hurting their national feelings.

While you may consider your opinion to be well informed, unique, and quite valid it is, in fact, largely formed in a cookie cutter manner. I can usually tell quite quickly who the European posters are.

Yet you pretend to know very well what Europeans are like, and even the best efforts from my side did not make you rethink your prejudice.

I find Europeans tiresome. I was always polite when visiting but in 1994 in Amsterdam, while visiting my gf and her friends, i finally said the hell with it. At first I smiled politely at their anti American boorishness but finally I spoke out and it felt great! I haven't looked back. And, btw, my gf and her friends were all very nice people, apart from the anti Americanism that seemed to dominate their lives. I've met this attitude all over western Europe.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it you who agreed that Europeans in general have not changed since WW2, and are responsible for evil on this planet throughout the entire history?

It wasn't me but the big change since WWII has been the ugly growth of anti Americanism. The Communists once boasted, according to the great Jean Francois Revel, that they could raise a 100,000 person anti American protest with just a weeks notice. I believe it.
There were many Americans who told me what they think about the Tea Party, who also were interested in my opinion.

Why?
I may not know more about the Tea Party than quite a few Americans, but I think I know more about it than most Europeans.

Then discuss it with Europeans. Of course 99% of you will agree with each other.
And I know that it has been a topic of heated debate in America, and that quite a few Americans would advance similar opinions about it as I did. I even explicitly said that I may be wrong about the Tea Party.

Then why gratuitously mention it when the focus of your thread should have been elsewhere?
I guess my mistake is that I am on the wrong continent. Europeans are not supposed to have an opinion on North American topics, because apparently, it's not opinions are arguments that have validity and merit, but their validity and merit depends on the one advancing them. That's called "ad hominim fallacy".

Of course you're welcome to your opinions but when they involve the United States they'll probably be ridiculed. You should just expect that rather than thinking they should be treated with any genuine respect.

Yes, but under two conditions: 1) When something I wrote came over the wrong way, please show me the respect to allow me clarify it, and then take my word that's what I meant, instead of attacking things I explicitly said I didn't mean that way, or claiming you know better what I meant than even I myself. And 2): When you think I am erring, please address my arguments, instead of my nationality or my continent. Deal?

I'll try!

Fortunately, I know quite a few Canadians who think differently. I also know some Americans who look down on Canadians in a similar manner they look down on Europeans, and I also have seen anti-Americanism coming from Canadians.

No doubt. But what we're talking here is scale.
So don't pretend you speak for anybody than just yourself, because it is obvious you do not.

Nor have I claimed otherwise.

That is interesting, and maybe even worthy of further examination, but I fail to see what this has to do with this thread. I did my best not to invoke anything about the Indians, tried for quite a while to resist the impulse from certain posters here to make this a contest about the question whose nation has done more horrible crimes in the past. And I didn't bring it up until some American implied that America is fundamentally different from Europe, because apparently, in his opinion, there is no xenophobia or bigotry in the USA at all. And even when I then did that, I did not claim this is something America still is to blame for, or something that makes America anyhow worse than Europe.

That Indian thing is very common when talking with Europeans. I've visited Little Big Horn a few times and one of the more interesting bits was the number of foreigners there, especially Germans and Irish, as well as a few Canadians. One of the sadder events was the Europeans running towards the Indians waving their white shirts in surrender. The Indians, not knowing at all what this meant, simply cut them down on the spot.
My naive impression was that we share a lot, because both America and most of Europe, Germany at least, are free, democratic republics with free market systems and similar values today. And that in both our societies, there is some trouble because of xenophobia.

I'd say this was true up to this decade. It certainly waned during the seventies and eighties but the last straw for most, I believe, was following 9/1I.

"neither denied it exists in Europe (hell, this entire topic is about xenophobia in Germany!), and one half sentence, a sloppy, little uncough line I wrote to point to islamophobia in the US (even in the spirit of suggesting we are facing a similar problem in both our countries, hence the "you are no longer alone") was twisted around to call me anti-American, to accuse me of attacking American national pride or to smear Americans in general".

I think the mood between the continents is such that Europeans are no longer able to negatively generalize about America in a way they once did. You should now expect a response and, as a result, might want to reconsider your comments before committing them to your posts.

I really had not seen this coming, because I had no idea that people here would hold such a chauvinistic nationalism that they believe a non-American suggesting islamophobia exists in the US as well, is an attack on their national pride.

You're reading it wrong, but no matter.
I assumed people would get it the wrong way and understand I was neither suggesting that America in general is worse than Europe, or anyhow is generally islamophobic in its entirety, nor that they would actually believe Germany/Europe in general is such a hellhole where nothing has changed since Adolf's days and thus using islamophobia in Europe to smear the entire continent, as if this problem in Europe was anyhow categorically different from that in the US.

It might be wise to ask Americans what they think their problems might be rather then assuming you know what they are.

Last edited:
It might be wise to ask Americans what they think their problems might be rather then assuming you know what they are.

I'm sure you've done this extensively, Mr Canuck. Do you think Americans are too timid, too stupid or simply incapable of fighting their own corner? Is that why you are constantly speaking on their behalf? Do you believe they appreciate being patronised by their northern neighbours? I suggest you leave it to them to decide what they think for themselves.

I'm sure you've done this extensively, Mr Canuck. Do you think Americans are too timid, too stupid or simply incapable of fighting their own corner? Is that why you are constantly speaking on their behalf? Do you believe they appreciate being patronised by their northern neighbours? I suggest you leave it to them to decide what they think for themselves.

I stick up for my friends.

If you had any you'd understand.

Grant,

thanks very much for the reply. Now maybe we can work on this basis.

OK, Then please explain what you meant by "Considering the craziness around the Tea Party", the first sentence in the first post about the purported subject of this thread? What did you mean by that?

I've noticed that Americans debated rather passionately about the Tea Party, and often, rather weird expressions of some of the Tea Party's participants were brought up. Among other things, it was debated whether they are islamophobic, racist or otherwise bigoted. Some Americans seemed to believe so.

My reference served as a reminder of that debate, because the debate in Germany about Sarrazin was similarly controversial: Some believe Sarrazin is just a xenophobe and racist, others vehemently deny that and claim he is being misquoted. Then the first side attacks his supporters and claim they are islamophobes and racists, while they, of course, have a different opinion. See the similarities, even if the analogy may carry only that far?

What I am saying is that European opinions about the United States are largely rubbish because, alas, your media is largely rubbish. You think you know but you really don't.

Actually, I base most of my opinion about the United States from American publications I read online and the opinions of Americans in online debates, and on the things an American friend in DC tells me.

But to your claim about European media: Don't you think of your statement as rather arrogant? I'm sure if a European made a similar claim about the American media, you'd immediately jump on his for his alleged anti-Americanism. Certainly, I will not be that European, because I neither believe the American media in general is "rubbish", nor the European media in general.

What I do think, though, is that the European or at least German mainstream media, much like German society in general, leans more to the left than the American media in general. That's why right-leaning Americans often don't like it. But last time I checked, there are quite a few Americans who do not lean to the right, although some of them may believe those Americans who lean to the left are not real Americans. But they exist, and they usually won't make such generalizing, pejorative statements about the European media.

I might have disagreed with you, or agreed, had you discussed the Tea Party but their mention was only gratuitous.

You went off-topic anyways. You were not interested in debating Sarrazin, or the situation in Germany, but instead made this thread a debate about alleged European anti-Americanism. So you could have just as easily discussed the Tea Party.

You wanted to offer negative opinion of them ("craziness") but then just moved on. That is all too common, and unbecoming to the poster.

Last time I checked, there are quite a few Americans as well who offer negative opinions of the Tea Party. So obviously, it doesn't make you "anti-American" to do so. I had the impression this is a "left vs. right" thing, not an "America vs. Europe" thing.

If that's the case, you may paint me guilty: I hold many views many Americans would rather consider left-leaning than right-leaning. And you may be right when you say that's often the case with Europeans. But if you have a problem with left-leaning ideas or notions I express, because you hold right-leaning opinions on the respective topic, then call me a crazy leftist, or hopeless liberal, if you have to -- but don't tell me I am anti-American, when it's obviously the case I just oppose a particular subgroup of Americans, while I agree a lot with a similarly large subgroup of Americans.

Why? Why this obsession about American politics? Why not French politics or British politics? Why pick on an area of the world where your knowledge is rather sketchy. You debate America with Americans? And you find nothing incongruous about this??

Considering I probably read more American news articles than quite a few Americans, I find this comment interesting. As I see it, it's always the same: American right-wingers (or in your case, a Canadian sympathizing with their views) smear a European when he expresses left-leaning views, claiming they don't know much about America -- because they believe the many left-leaning Americans don't know a thing about America either.

And what makes you think I am not interested in British or French politics? It may surprise you, but some people are indeed in developments in other countries, because they enjoy looking beyond their immediate horizon, for the mere joy of learning about foreign cultures. That's a good motivation for studying and pracitizing foreign languages too. But I shouldn't wonder particular North American people don't understand that concept, that's more than obvious.

Sure, most of the time Americans will be gracious and polite, but then they tend to just move on and have a negative opinion of Western Europeans. Remember that the Europeans have been commenting on American policies for many years, and virtually always in a negative manner. That is largely why you just don't matter anymore. Those who matter have largely given up on Europe, and they've made it apparent.

Again, you speak just for yourself, but claim to speak for Americans in general.

And as I see it, what you describe was really not that much a "Europe vs. America" thing, but a "left vs. right" thing: George Bush's policies were just not popular in Europe, for example in Germany, which would be clearly a very "blue state" by American standards. Are you telling me that criticism of Bush's government cannot be anything else but anti-Americanism? If that's the case, half of America would be "anti-American" too. Once Obama was running, and since he was elected, you could read overwhelmingly positive things about America in the German press.

Now you might disagree with all that. You may hate Obama, or the Democrats. And you may have quite a few good arguments in support of Bush and against Obama. But don't tell me Germans in general are anti-American, just because they dislike a particular American President or certain policies by his government -- when even more than a half of the American voters share their opinions.

While you may consider your opinion to be well informed, unique, and quite valid it is, in fact, largely formed in a cookie cutter manner. I can usually tell quite quickly who the European posters are.

Guess what, I have the same kind of intuition about American right-wing nuts. Sometimes you can even tell someone has seen Glenn Beck's latest program and failed to use his brain in the process.

I find Europeans tiresome. I was always polite when visiting but in 1994 in Amsterdam, while visiting my gf and her friends, i finally said the hell with it. At first I smiled politely at their anti American boorishness but finally I spoke out and it felt great! I haven't looked back. And, btw, my gf and her friends were all very nice people, apart from the anti Americanism that seemed to dominate their lives. I've met this attitude all over western Europe.

Imagine what I've experienced in the US a few years ago: First thing when you say you're German you have to prepare for, are Nazi jokes. All the time. Most of the time probably in good spirit, just tongue-in-cheek, but sometimes, you cannot be that sure. And after some time, that gets tiresome too. Then there are the more bitter American right-wingers who personally hold you responsible for the lack of support for the Iraq War of some European countries, you know, the "freedom fries" crowd that will accuse you of siding with the enemy and loving Osama bin Laden, and can't restrain from mocking the French in particular. I had the impression these folks had much less humor than the Nai-joke people. I've met these attitudes in several American states.

It wasn't me but the big change since WWII has been the ugly growth of anti Americanism. The Communists once boasted, according to the great Jean Francois ...

Oh, of course there is anti-Americanism in Europe. I don't deny that. But that's just one side of the story. First, many right-leaning Americans apparently take opposition to "their" politicians as attack on their nation, which really isn't a leap, considering many of them accuse their American opponents of the same thing. And second, I really don't think anti-European attitudes and prejudices are any less virulent in America.

Probably because they believe an argument's merit does not depend on the nationality of the person advancing it.

Then discuss it with Europeans. Of course 99% of you will agree with each other.

See above.

Then why gratuitously mention it when the focus of your thread should have been elsewhere?

It is. The sentence you took offense with is a single line serving as introduction to mostly American readers. The remaining 95% of the posting focus on Sarrazin in Germany. It was you and a few others who decided to ignore these 95%, but preferred to focus on that single line instead.

Of course you're welcome to your opinions but when they involve the United States they'll probably be ridiculed. You should just expect that rather than thinking they should be treated with any genuine respect.

It's part of the business that when debating controversial topics, there are always some people ridiculing you. That doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the arguments. Sometimes it says more about the one laughing. For example, when he doesn't address the arguments, but the nationality of the poster instead.

I'll try!

Thanks!

No doubt. But what we're talking here is scale.

You probably fail to see the huge scale of American anti-European attitudes, because you're so used to it, and buy a lot of it yourself.

Nor have I claimed otherwise.

You did, with the instance above in this posting two times already.

That Indian thing is very common when talking with Europeans. I've visited Little Big Horn a few times and one of the more interesting bits was the number of foreigners there, especially Germans and Irish, as well as a few Canadians. One of the sadder events was the Europeans running towards the Indians waving their white shirts in surrender. The Indians, not knowing at all what this meant, simply cut them down on the spot.

Well, there may be some Europeans who use "the Indians" as an example for America's historical failures, in order to look down on Americans. I did not do that. I just felt it was necessary to point to it eventually, after an American poster had continously, even after many other golden bridges I had built for him to walk over, implied that America's history is a very cleen, good history and that no act of oppression or bigotry, ethnic cleansing or any of the crimes he blamed Europe for, had ever taken place in America. So I pointed to a particular fact.

Unless you want to claim America has nothing at all to contemplate about regarding "the Indians", you shouldn't see it as anything else but a reminder to a fact and a counterargument against an obviously faulty claim.

I'm not claiming that this means America is bad in general, let alone today's America, nor that Europeans are better, or that it reaches the magnitude of European deeds, but: Did or did not Americans commit crime against the native Americans in the past?

Keep in mind when answering: We're not in a pissing match here who has the biggest crime in his historical baggage. We're merely looking for an answer to the question if there are bad sides to America's history as well, and if bigotry is entirely alien to America.

I'd say this was true up to this decade. It certainly waned during the seventies and eighties but the last straw for most, I believe, was following 9/1I.

Apparently, we at least have one thing in common on both sides of the ocean: We both hate Muslims.

I think the mood between the continents is such that Europeans are no longer able to negatively generalize about America in a way they once did. You should now expect a response and, as a result, might want to reconsider your comments before committing them to your posts.

Are you talking about just yourself again? Apparently. Well then, I can live very well with your response.

I did. And quite a few Americans told me just that: A major problem they see in America is rampant islamophobia these days. Maybe that's why I committed the mistake of assuming Americans here would not get my first line the wrong way, in the first place.

Hola GG.

I've noticed that Americans debated rather passionately about the Tea Party, and often, rather weird expressions of some of the Tea Party's participants were brought up. Among other things, it was debated whether they are islamophobic, racist or otherwise bigoted. Some Americans seemed to believe so.

They might believe so but there is no evidence that this is the case. Calling someone racist has become a way of avoiding or discussing the real issues. It's the cheapest retort possible. next to the overworn "fascist" perhaps, and misuses the word to such an extent that genuine racism can then be overlooked. This "Islamophobic" thing is also overused and can distort the real issues. It is a meaningless catchall.

My reference served as a reminder of that debate, because the debate in Germany about Sarrazin was similarly controversial: Some believe Sarrazin is just a xenophobe and racist, others vehemently deny that and claim he is being misquoted. Then the first side attacks his supporters and claim they are islamophobes and racists, while they, of course, have a different opinion. See the similarities, even if the analogy may carry only that far?

Instead of searching for the appropriate label, why not discuss the genuine issues he's raising, if they exist? Perhaps he makes a good point in some areas but is off base in others. But there seems to be enough interest to make it quite interesting.

Actually, I base most of my opinion about the United States from American publications I read online and the opinions of Americans in online debates, and on the things an American friend in DC tells me.

A great deal depends on what you read and the political point of view they represent. We know, for example, where the Guardian and BBC stand and expect to see their point of view ably presented. But if you read sites in the American media you might be unaware that they tend to present the news according to their own political leaning. Over time you'll probably come to know which American media best represents the truth, and not just opinion.
But to your claim about European media: Don't you think of your statement as rather arrogant? I'm sure if a European made a similar claim about the American media, you'd immediately jump on his for his alleged anti-Americanism. Certainly, I will not be that European, because I neither believe the American media in general is "rubbish", nor the European media in general.

Actually I believe most of the American media is rubbish also, as well as most of the Canadian media. It s the dark ages as far as media is concerned.. It is all point of view rather than just presenting the news as close to the truth as is professionally possible in order to allow the reader to makeup his mind. Now the presenters are the stars with "news by".
What I do think, though, is that the European or at least German mainstream media, much like German society in general, leans more to the left than the American media in general. That's why right-leaning Americans often don't like it.

Or maybe they don't like any "leaning". Why should this leaning exist at all? That's not what trained professional journalists in a free society should be doing.

But last time I checked, there are quite a few Americans who do not lean to the right, although some of them may believe those Americans who lean to the left are not real Americans. But they exist, and they usually won't make such generalizing, pejorative statements about the European media.

This labeling does not serve any purpose and whats left to you might be far left to me, or far right might be middle of the road to you. We usually hear of Left and right but seldom the middle, which is where most people feel they are. This again only serves to fog the issues.

You went off-topic anyways. You were not interested in debating Sarrazin, or the situation in Germany, but instead made this thread a debate about alleged European anti-Americanism. So you could have just as easily discussed the Tea Party.

Right. But first I decided to attack you.

Last time I checked, there are quite a few Americans as well who offer negative opinions of the Tea Party. So obviously, it doesn't make you "anti-American" to do so. I had the impression this is a "left vs. right" thing, not an "America vs. Europe" thing.

The Left doesn't like what the Tea Party represents and will thus call them 'racist', etc. There is no evidence of this but there is an old political expression that says if you throw enough crap against the side of a barn, some of it is sure to stick. So as a result you, in Germany, is suggesting the Tea Party is racist and crazy only because someone said so. That's how politics is being played and if you are at all interested in truth, you should be aware of that.

Considering I probably read more American news articles than quite a few Americans, I find this comment interesting. As I see it, it's always the same: American right-wingers (or in your case, a Canadian sympathizing with their views) smear a European when he expresses left-leaning views, claiming they don't know much about America -- because they believe the many left-leaning Americans don't know a thing about America either.

I say you don't know much about America, and have erroneous presumptions, because of your opening sentence in this thread. I can rest my entire case on that.

And what makes you think I am not interested in British or French politics? It may surprise you, but some people are indeed in developments in other countries, because they enjoy looking beyond their immediate horizon, for the mere joy of learning about foreign cultures. That's a good motivation for studying and pracitizing foreign languages too. But I shouldn't wonder particular North American people don't understand that concept, that's more than obvious.

I'm not certain of the point you're making here but if you're assuming I know little of foreign cultures or languages i should tell you that i'm writing this from Costa Rica and speak middlin' Spanish. And of course Canada and the United States were built on foreign cultures, and thats still the case today.

And as I see it, what you describe was really not that much a "Europe vs. America" thing, but a "left vs. right" thing: George Bush's policies were just not popular in Europe, for example in Germany, which would be clearly a very "blue state" by American standards.

No Republican President is ever going to be popular in Europe. And it was a Europe vs North America thing.

Are you telling me that criticism of Bush's government cannot be anything else but anti-Americanism? If that's the case, half of America would be "anti-American" too.

I never said any such thing.
Once Obama was running, and since he was elected, you could read overwhelmingly positive things about America in the German press.

Oh I have no doubt of that. They can also turn on America in a second as well. But Americans don't go looking to Germans for any advice.
Now you might disagree with all that. You may hate Obama, or the Democrats

I don't hate anyone.
And you may have quite a few good arguments in support of Bush and against Obama. But don't tell me Germans in general are anti-American, just because they dislike a particular American President or certain policies by his government -- when even more than a half of the American voters share their opinions.

I was in Berlin when the wall came down, in December of 1989, staying at the Hotel California on K'dam if you know it. Across from Burger King I believe. An interesting area.. And as the wall was coming down there was still anti American conversations going on. The hotel clerk there was an insufferable hoot, but he was also the subject of some great stories when we got home!
Guess what, I have the same kind of intuition about American right-wing nuts. Sometimes you can even tell someone has seen Glenn Beck's latest program and failed to use his brain in the process.

If you don't care for the issues Glen Beck raises why not mention what they are and we'll discuss them. Do you watch the program?
Imagine what I've experienced in the US a few years ago: First thing when you say you're German you have to prepare for, are Nazi jokes. All the time. Most of the time probably in good spirit, just tongue-in-cheek, but sometimes, you cannot be that sure. And after some time, that gets tiresome too. Then there are the more bitter American right-wingers who personally hold you responsible for the lack of support for the Iraq War of some European countries, you know, the "freedom fries" crowd that will accuse you of siding with the enemy and loving Osama bin Laden, and can't restrain from mocking the French in particular. I had the impression these folks had much less humor than the Nai-joke people. I've met these attitudes in several American states.

I think you're going to get a lot more of that, as well as will other Europeans. I've tried to explain to Europeans that Americans just don't like them anymore but they don't quite believe me. They don't like you or trust you and now you can bear witness to that fact. It's never going to get any better either.

Oh, of course there is anti-Americanism in Europe. I don't deny that. But that's just one side of the story.

But that's all the story most Americans need.

First, many right-leaning Americans apparently take opposition to "their" politicians as attack on their nation, which really isn't a leap, considering many of them accuse their American opponents of the same thing. And second, I really don't think anti-European attitudes and prejudices are any less virulent in America.

As you might understand, Americans being critical of their government is quite different than foreigners doing it. And as per your experience, they don't care much for Europeans or their advice.
Probably because they believe an argument's merit does not depend on the nationality of the person advancing it.

Oh, but it does. As you know, there are still Americans who cannot forget what Germans did jut 60 years ago, just as Europeans can't forget about the Indians.

It is. The sentence you took offense with is a single line serving as introduction to mostly American readers. The remaining 95% of the posting focus on Sarrazin in Germany. It was you and a few others who decided to ignore these 95%, but preferred to focus on that single line instead.

OKay. But can you see now how it distracted from your main point and how Americans aren't necessarily going to follow in lockstep with your opinions on American domestic politics?
It's part of the business that when debating controversial topics, there are always some people ridiculing you. That doesn't necessarily say anything about the quality of the arguments. Sometimes it says more about the one laughing. For example, when he doesn't address the arguments, but the nationality of the poster instead.

Sure, or labeling rather than looking directly at the issues.
You probably fail to see the huge scale of American anti-European attitudes, because you're so used to it, and buy a lot of it yourself.

No, as a matter of fact I've seen a great deal of anti Europeanism growing in the United States, which is why I point out that "Old Europe" in Donald Rumsfeld's words, just doesn't matter anymore. The relationship is done and it's time for Europe to move on. Obama feels the same by the way.

Well, there may be some Europeans who use "the Indians" as an example for America's historical failures, in order to look down on Americans. I did not do that. I just felt it was necessary to point to it eventually, after an American poster had continously, even after many other golden bridges I had built for him to walk over, implied that America's history is a very cleen, good history and that no act of oppression or bigotry, ethnic cleansing or any of the crimes he blamed Europe for, had ever taken place in America. So I pointed to a particular fact.

Sure, but it really doesn't matter. This bickering will go on for a while but basically Americans will ignore you. They just don't care enough about Europe anymore. That's not where their future is.

Unless you want to claim America has nothing at all to contemplate about regarding "the Indians", you shouldn't see it as anything else but a reminder to a fact and a counterargument against an obviously faulty claim.

I'll certainly not make that claim.
I'm not claiming that this means America is bad in general, let alone today's America, nor that Europeans are better, or that it reaches the magnitude of European deeds, but: Did or did not Americans commit crime against the native Americans in the past?

I've no doubt that the Europeans who came to the New World committed crimes of huge magnitude, the Spanish being among the worst. The British were the best colonizers, by far.

Keep in mind when answering: We're not in a pissing match here who has the biggest crime in his historical baggage. We're merely looking for an answer to the question if there are bad sides to America's history as well, and if bigotry is entirely alien to America.

Bigotry, racism, and all the rest has occurred in the US, as it has in Canada..

Apparently, we at least have one thing in common on both sides of the ocean: We both hate Muslims.

You'll have to speak for yourself in this regard.

And quite a few Americans told me just that: A major problem they see in America is rampant islamophobia these days. Maybe that's why I committed the mistake of assuming Americans here would not get my first line the wrong way, in the first place.

You might want to check out more honest web sites.

You say you read American media. Here's an interesting article from what I believe to be one of the best newspapers anywhere, The Wall Street Journal.

Enjoy!

Ajami: Rauf and Islam's Encounter with America - WSJ.com

Bonjour Monsieur Grant!

They might believe so but there is no evidence that this is the case.

Ok, here my opinion on the Tea Party: I have seen reports about it that suggest that at least some participants there are indeed bigoted, some maybe even racist. But I don't think that necessarily says much about the Tea Party in its entirety. Large parts of the media focus especially on the more lurid elements, because that is drama and will stir up emotions. That's media logic. So probably, the majority of participants cannot be painted with the same brush.

Also, you may notice that I said "the craziness around the Tea Party". Since English is not my first language, this word may not be correct in this context, or may not properly transport the meaning I intended to express, but you have to take my word when I say that I meant to suggest it's not "the crazy Tea Party", but a particular craziness (that indeed exists) that was debated in this context, without suggesting the Tea Parties as a whole are indeed "crazy".

Calling someone racist has become a way of avoiding or discussing the real issues. It's the cheapest retort possible. next to the overworn "fascist" perhaps, and misuses the word to such an extent that genuine racism can then be overlooked. This "Islamophobic" thing is also overused and can distort the real issues. It is a meaningless catchall.

Probably you are right in some cases. Sometimes, people may be too quick with accusations of racism. But I noticed another phenomenon too: Often, when an obviously racist claim was made, those who made this claim silence down opposition pointing to it by accusing them of "playing the race card". Many people use the accusation of "playing the race card" to silence down opposition to genuinely racist opinions. The same with "political correctness": It's become an overused accusation of racists, bigots and xenophobes to attack those who expose the racism and bigotry, or at least very misunderstandable claims in their opinions.

Maybe that's because many people believe that racism and bigotry only is racist and bigoted, when you are fully aware of it, when you consciously hate certain people, and when your claims are born out of malice. But that's not the case. The worst racism and bigotry is the one that consists of unconscious prejudices, broad generalizations and does not come with malice, but the best intentions.

I think we all know people who might say things like "I am not racist, I even have black friends, but ...", and when they then continue speaking, it's obvious they are, and probably even aren't aware of their own prejudices and generalizations. If you point that out, they will strictly deny that accusation, with a clean conscience. You especially find this pattern among elder people, who grew up in times when certain racist prejudices were still mainstream, when the public was not that sensible for that kind of thing yet.

Instead of searching for the appropriate label, why not discuss the genuine issues he's raising, if they exist? Perhaps he makes a good point in some areas but is off base in others. But there seems to be enough interest to make it quite interesting.

I agree, that may very well be the case.

If you ask for my opinion about Sarrazin, I'd say he is right when pointing out that there are shortcomings regarding the integration especially of Muslim immigrants in Germany, more than with other immigrants, and that cultural reasons may very well contribute to that. I also agree with him that intelligence is partly genetic (last time I read about it, it was said this genetic part is estimated at 58%). There may also be a certain statistical connection between intelligence and social status of the individual.

What I do not agree with is the connection of all these claims to suggest Muslim immigrants (who have in average a worse social status than other people in Germany) have bad genes. First: Each of these statistical connections is not very strong (in many cases, intelligence does not correspond with social status, and the acquired vs. genetic part of intelligence widely varies in individual cases), and by joining one hazy statistic relation to another, haziness soon reaches a level that the validity of the resulting connection is very low.

Also, for me it seems obvious, even when counting in genetic factors for intelligence, that the number of those who have "good genes" in these regards, yet cannot fully take advantage of it (because of non-genetic, societal factors that keep these people from achieving, acquired cultural opinions and worse access to education) is probably considerably higher among Muslim immigrants in Germany, than among native Germans: Native Germans have had time since the vast education expansion in the 1960s and 70s to use their genetic potential, and other factors that keep them from fully taking advantage of their genetic talents is much lower. Immigrants have more non-genetic hurdles to overcome, and had less time so far to do so, that the number of people who, despite good genetic preconditions, live in a low social status is higher among them.

Also, I find these fuzzy claims made on the basis of genetics dangerous. That's what racism is: Over-estimating the importance of genetic factors for qualities of an individual or groups, and scientifically wrong conclusions from genetics to traits and attributes of a person or group. Maybe Sarrazin himself aptly manages to do a very thin tightrope walk to avoid racism, but many who read his book or the debate about it are not that cautious. Someone like Sarrazin, publishing an expectedly controversial book, should be aware of his responsibility and do his best to avoid making claims that inevitably will be misunderstood my some to confirm their racist views.

Another, often brought up criticism against Sarrazin is that on the topic of integration of Muslim immigrants, he is way too alarmistic, focuses on the bad cases only, while ignoring the many successful examples for integration. Again, it may not be factually wrong, strictly speaking, but it easily confirms people who make broad generalizations about immigrants in general, or Muslim immigrants in particular.

Sarrazin does not really make propositions what to do about all that. That's smart: He lets those who actually hold racist views or over-estimate genetic factors make the propositions for him, and just claims that's not what he said, when someone points him to the fact that his book caused that kind of reaction. Personally, I think that's a general problem with that kind of generalizations, may they be xenophobic, islamophobic or racist -- once you take them as fact, there is hardly no other logical consequence possible than ostracizing and discriminating against certain people, or even use violence against them, when you think it to the end. That's why I'm not fond of people who don't take the necessary caution when publishing controversial stuff on this topic like Sarrazin.

Personally, I believe for countering the existing problems, education has a key role. Even when 58% of intelligence depends on genetic factors, that still leaves a lot of space for non-genetic factors. With good education, you may not manage to make another Einstein out of a nut, but raising him above average may still well be possible. The same when it comes to improving the usually low social status of immigrants: The main problem is they don't easily get good jobs. That's because of bad education. And that's often because of bad German language skills. So I believe increasing programs to teach immigrants German language skills, and increased efforts to support their education in elementary and high schools, will likely have great impact. Many recent studies suggest the current German education system has many flaws. That should be addressed first.

(to be continued)

(continuation)

A great deal depends on what you read and the political point of view they represent. We know, for example, where the Guardian and BBC stand and expect to see their point of view ably presented. But if you read sites in the American media you might be unaware that they tend to present the news according to their own political leaning. Over time you'll probably come to know which American media best represents the truth, and not just opinion.

Yes. Making a difference between opinion and truth is important, and not always easy. And often, you don't have all the facts, and you find one opinion to be more convincing than another. That's for you not different than for me. I may respect your opinion, maybe even understand where you are coming from, yet disagree. And when I do so, that's not necessarily because I am wrong, or mindlessly parrot the opinions I've read. I don't think you necessarily do so either. Please show me the same respect.

And maybe quite a few Europeans, just like quite a few Americans don't just hold certain opinions or convictions because their respective media is BIASED (/blooddripping font off), but because they just find the focus on certain basic connections in life more convincing than others.

Actually I believe most of the American media is rubbish also, as well as most of the Canadian media. It s the dark ages as far as media is concerned.. It is all point of view rather than just presenting the news as close to the truth as is professionally possible in order to allow the reader to makeup his mind. Now the presenters are the stars with "news by".

Agreed. My impression that this is especially bad when it comes to television. You might have seen my according arguments and opinions a while ago in another thread.

Or maybe they don't like any "leaning". Why should this leaning exist at all? That's not what trained professional journalists in a free society should be doing.

To some extent, I absolutely agree. Journalists should be true to the facts, and try to objectively present them. They should not hold back certain facts, or exaggerate certain claims and thus suggest they are more important than they deserve, just because they believe their readers/audience wants to hear it, or because they want to preach their own opinions.

But it's also true that there is no absolute objectivity. Even when journalists work with the best intentions and an ethos to stay to the facts and be un-biased, it cannot be avoided they do some filtering, which depends on their individual mindset. I think much of the "bias" or "leaning" Americans perceive in European media and vice versa is based on this phenomenon: In many cases, it's not a deliberate intention of supporting "our side", but, for example, the simple fact that most Germans consider poverty a more deserving topic, and thus it turns up more often in the media.

This labeling does not serve any purpose and whats left to you might be far left to me, or far right might be middle of the road to you. We usually hear of Left and right but seldom the middle, which is where most people feel they are. This again only serves to fog the issues.

Agreed. These labels only have very limited meaning. They may have served me to get my point across in the posting above, but when we go deeper into the details, we need more precize words.

The Left doesn't like what the Tea Party represents and will thus call them 'racist', etc. There is no evidence of this but there is an old political expression that says if you throw enough crap against the side of a barn, some of it is sure to stick. So as a result you, in Germany, is suggesting the Tea Party is racist and crazy only because someone said so. That's how politics is being played and if you are at all interested in truth, you should be aware of that.

See my explanations above: To some extent, I agree. But when someone "plays the race card", that doesn't necessarily mean the original claim was not racist. That may be the case, or it may indeed be racist.

I say you don't know much about America, and have erroneous presumptions, because of your opening sentence in this thread. I can rest my entire case on that.

So anybody who observes that there was a controversy on the Tea Party, and claims that around the Tea Party, there was "craziness" (and explicitly states that he doesn't believe the entire Tea Party necessarily is crazy), does not know much about America? What about the many Americans who would say things like that? Do they "not know much about America" either?

I say what you did is pretty obvious: You are biased against Europeans and draw erronous conclusions because of that bias.

I'm not certain of the point you're making here but if you're assuming I know little of foreign cultures or languages i should tell you that i'm writing this from Costa Rica and speak middlin' Spanish. And of course Canada and the United States were built on foreign cultures, and thats still the case today.

Good for you. So you maybe can answer your question yourself: Why did you go to Costa Rica, and why did you bother learning Spanish? If you have other reasons than "well, they just offered me a good job there, so I had to learn some Spanish to deal with my co-workers, although I really don't find that enjoyable and don't really care about their culture", then maybe you get an idea why I'm interested in languages, cultures and politics beyond the scope of Germany.

No Republican President is ever going to be popular in Europe. And it was a Europe vs North America thing.

Maybe you are right. But I think the fact that so many Europeans, also in Germany, are rather fond of Obama and of that part of America he represents, is a pretty good indication that it's at least not a "Europe vs. America in general"-thing. Germans are not anti-American. They may be anti-Republican, ok. But that's true for quite a few Americans as well.

Many parts of the American right are alien to many Europeans. And many parts of the European left are alien to Americans. In my opinion, America has a rather large, very loony right. But I also believe that while we don't have such a thing to that extent (minor fringe groups nonwithstanding), we have a very similar thing, just algebraic signs reversed: A rather large, loony left. I think many mutual misunderstandings and animosities stem from this difference.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom