• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is there a God?

Naughty Nurse said:
Indeed! And the fact that god is "he" and "him" demonstrates this. If there really was a supreme being it would surely not have a geneder!

Yes and if there was a god it would have to be a man because no woman could or would screw the world up this bad

MeChMAN said:
Yes and if there was a god it would have to be a man because no woman could or would screw the world up this bad

You haven't heard of Margaret Thatcher?

alienken said:
GarzaUK..I believe that the Holy Bible is true and accurate.

Pls don't take offense to this. How can it be accurate if after, hundreds of years, the story gets bent or exaggerated a bit from the original story? The church is not as honest as, we would like to think. If the truth is not what it is, how would you feel?

alienken said:
to Shuamort.. The Old Testament no longer applies.When Jesus Christ came to the earth in the flesh he started the New Testament which as a Christian I follow. The Jewish people rejected Jesus and still go by the Old Testament.
1)Jesus was Jewish and followed Jewish law.
2)Jesus followed the Old Testament.
3)The only thing Jesus amended from the Old Testament were the laws which applied to food.
4)The Old Testament includes a lot of information that Christianity is based on that are not included in the New Testament (things like how Christianity believes the Earth and people were created etc.).
5)The Jewish people never rejected Jesus. They just never accepted him as their savior. Big difference.
6)It's kinda sad when a humanist knows more about the religon than its adherent.

As regards to the Christian faith, let me just note there there is no evidence that Jesus Christ died for anyone's sins but his own. (of course, it's debateable whether breaking Roman law was a 'sin', but there is no evidence he died for you and me) Here is my main problem with Christianity: the idea of hell. Christians present a religion saying that humans have 'free will'. But there are limits to this free will. We are not free to worship other gods, we are not free to reject god. Well, we are 'free' to do these things but if we do then we go to hell. What great freedom! In other words, God has no mercy for the individualist. Also, what are the standards on who goes to hell or not? I hear Christians say to me that "Gandhi is in hell". Well, if Gandhi isn't good enough for God, and he isn't allowed in heaven, then I want nothing to do with this God.

anomaly said:
As regards to the Christian faith, let me just note there there is no evidence that Jesus Christ died for anyone's sins but his own. (of course, it's debateable whether breaking Roman law was a 'sin', but there is no evidence he died for you and me) Here is my main problem with Christianity: the idea of hell. Christians present a religion saying that humans have 'free will'. But there are limits to this free will. We are not free to worship other gods, we are not free to reject god. Well, we are 'free' to do these things but if we do then we go to hell. What great freedom! In other words, God has no mercy for the individualist. Also, what are the standards on who goes to hell or not? I hear Christians say to me that "Gandhi is in hell". Well, if Gandhi isn't good enough for God, and he isn't allowed in heaven, then I want nothing to do with this God.

I call this the perfection of slavery.

MeChMAN said:
I call this the perfection of slavery.

Absolutely! Organised religion is the ultimate form of social control, and is flexible enough to justify all kinds of hatred and bigotry!

Naughty Nurse said:
Absolutely! Organised religion is the ultimate form of social control, and is flexible enough to justify all kinds of hatred and bigotry!

It's good to see that someone realizes the sad truth about religion.

is there a GOd? if you exist in this world who gaves you life?
"if there is smoke,there is flame.... :Dthere's a God of course because in my idiot opinion when were shock we'll say "OH MY GOD!!!!"

"LIVE YOUR LIFE TO THE FULLEST AS GOD GAVES YOU"

Last edited by a moderator:
fireice said:
"if there is smoke,there is flame.... :Dthere's a God of course because in my idiot opinion when were shock we'll say "OH MY GOD!!!!"

I usually say "Merde", which means s***, or "Putain" which means whore, but I'm not about to ascribe deity to either of them.

fireice said:

I'm afraid that I'm more likely to say, "Oh, ****!". :cool: I'm sure that something happened fourteen billion years or so ago that resulted in the creation of that portion of the universe we exist in. What (or possibly who) did it we'll never know. You are sure it was something you call GOD, but you have absolutely no objective evidence of that.

fireice said:

If god gave us life then who gave god life? If god is a living spirit then something must have created him, if god created us then who created god? And wouldn't that make him god's god then why would we worship god? Shouldn't we worship god's god? Point is if we all didn't just come out of thin air and we were created by god then it would be a horrible assumption to think that god just popped up out of thin air. Where there is smoke sometimes there is just smoke!

MeChMAN said:
If god gave us life then who gave god life? If god is a living spirit then something must have created him, if god created us then who created god? And wouldn't that make him god's god then why would we worship god? Shouldn't we worship god's god? Point is if we all didn't just come out of thin air and we were created by god then it would be a horrible assumption to think that god just popped up out of thin air. Where there is smoke sometimes there is just smoke!

Good point. Science has explained the origins of life, the origins of man and the origins of this universe. Though some would argue these are just beliefs, one would still have to say that scientific explanations are atleast as plausible as any explanation from the Bible. And since scientific explanations are supported by reasearch, I would have to side with them over a faith based entity such as the Bible.

Here is another good point to ponder.

We lost our innocence when we were too old to beleive in santa claus and the tooth fairy, now we are trying to regain our innocence by beleiving in a parental deity

Firstly, sorry about this being too long, but even them there are so many points that I still have and can't fit, so this is really quite small

No, there is no God, if by God you mean some magical man who created everything. The evolution theory (why is it just a theory, there is so much evidence) is the key to all the answers, that were answered thousands of years ago with a simple "Must be some kind of God, or something...."

Really, God was a logical answer for all the questions like "How did we get here?" "What are those white fluffy things in the sky for?" etc....Now science has answered those questions for us, so there is no need for "God".

God does create confidence, and the belief can help people through though times, but it can also be very dangerous. eg: idiot parents relying on faith to safe their dying child, instead of taking them to a hospital! And people killing themselves because they think there is some kind of reward in the end of it all! Idiot government people also base powerful descisions that affect peoples lives on faith!

Science tells us evolution created every living thing on this earth (obvious, not arguing there, even religious people can say that). It also tells us that earth is a rock that was pulled in by the sun's gravitational pull, and keeps us in orbit until it dies - if there was a god would the sun really die (I don't think so). This also tells us that nearly all stars out there would have atleast one planet on it, and if the planet is the right distance (like earth) from the star, may have life on it. So it's pretty safe to say there is life out there as well (though I doubt they would have two legs and two arms and a head etc.....in fact they would be nothing like anything on earth, basically because of the way they evolved. They might not even be DNA based. And they most definately would not have well devaloped brains like ours, ours is just plain luck) Why am I talking about aliens!

Anyway, back to the topic, think about this: If evolution is effected by some God, and not nature, what created this god? hmmmm

Science also proves the cold hard truth that death is a process in where everything in your brain is irreversibly destroyed. Everything about you (personality, memory, your so called 'soul') is destroyed along with it........if you didn't catch on, death is when you die forever, and that's it. No afterlife b/s. Think about it, it's not very realistic is it? Some magical place, where you are greated by glowing angels into the gates of heaven, on the fluffy white clouds.........no wait, clouds are steam.........and heaven? well, with everything that has died so far, that would be full of billions and billions and billions (to the power of a billion) of people and animals. Man it must be huge!

Also, think about the answer to the question: "How were we created?"
Evolution Theory: We evolved from simple organisms (similar to bacteria) and billions of years later we get multicellular organisms, then billions and billions of years after that these organisms evolved a nervious system, then a control center (brain), the from then brains evolved conscious and sub-conscious (the most basic species, like ants, run on brains similar to our sub-conscious and have no conscious) which gives us the abilty to be aware and have personalties and exchange information with a sub-conscious which does all the background work (thinking, memories, body devalopment, breathing etc....) and wallah! Here we are.

God Theory: Man was created instantaniously (including all organs, brain power, ability to speak - really?) from DUST! And Woman waas created by the man's RIB! Oh so that's why we are missing one! hmmm, yeah. Let's forget about the species before humans ay, like dinosaurs and stuff. Hmmm, like they didn't exist until the bones were discovered, oh gee that kind of contridicts the God's Theory, hmmmmmmm....well kind of, given the fact that this theory is that we we his first creation (apart from the earth etc....)

I do believe that nature almost has some sort of mind though. Really think about it, our brains which make up who we are (not a soul!) are just a bunch of cells connected to exchange information. Nature could almost have what could be considered a mind - everything fits perfectly: Plants give us food and oxygen to live, we give them Carbon Dioxide and when we die our bodies rot and help more plants grow - fits way too perfectly for it to be random mutations in the DNA. And how a dogs bark can give you a major fright, because it has evolved that way - maybe the dog once made the sound and went "wow, that sounds scary!" and kept it going on. Basically, I think it's more realistic to think that nature is really the dominion of us all. Lets face it, whether it has a mind or not, nature can kill us, and evolve us more, easily (can evolve a virus, can produce a plant that feeds on CO2 and releases a dangerous chemical that kills brain-orientated species, and plant species, making it the only living thing on the planet - scary huh! I know it's going too far).

Overall, Science answers all the questions that were asked to create God. Science can't prove there is a God, neither can it prove there isn't - the obvious answer is that if science answers it all, and god was a theory to answer is all in ancient times, that's prove enough that god indeed does not exist. If this were a trial, the evidence would prove indefinately that there is no god.

Hell, I could say to you that there is a guy named Phil sitting next to you, you can't sense him in anyway, and you can talk to him, but he can't talk back. Can I prove he's there? No, but can you prove he isn't....no.....hmmmm, deep huh?

To sum it up finally - If you believe in some God, that is perfectly okay, as long as you don't use him as an excuse for killing someone, or doing something else bad, or killing yourself, and don't use him as a basis in sentencing someone, or anything stupid like that. Just believe, and keep this believe to yourself and others who also share it. Keep it internally so that nothing can be affected in a wrong way by it..........because think about it, people's lives have been destroyed because of these beliefs, don't take a chance just incase it isn't true.

Last edited:
liberal1 said:
I thought this would be an interesting topic and touchy topic to raise. What is your thought on the existence or non existence of God?

I do not believe that there is a God. I think religion was created for several reasons: (1) to explain the unexplainable, (2) to bring people together, (3) to make people strive to be good human beings during their life (so that they won't go to hell); and (4) to appease people into thinking there is some sort of afterlife, as opposed to believing that when we die, that's it for us.

Pessimistic, huh? I can't help it. I just don't buy any religion. Someone once told me that God liked a straight murderer better than an upstanding gay person. WTF is that?

athiestman said:
Firstly, sorry about this being too long, but even them there are so many points that I still have and can't fit, so this is really quite small

No, there is no God, if by God you mean some magical man who created everything. The evolution theory (why is it just a theory, there is so much evidence) is the key to all the answers, that were answered thousands of years ago with a simple "Must be some kind of God, or something...."

Really, God was a logical answer for all the questions like "How did we get here?" "What are those white fluffy things in the sky for?" etc....Now science has answered those questions for us, so there is no need for "God".

God does create confidence, and the belief can help people through though times, but it can also be very dangerous. eg: idiot parents relying on faith to safe their dying child, instead of taking them to a hospital! And people killing themselves because they think there is some kind of reward in the end of it all! Idiot government people also base powerful descisions that affect peoples lives on faith!

Science tells us evolution created every living thing on this earth (obvious, not arguing there, even religious people can say that). It also tells us that earth is a rock that was pulled in by the sun's gravitational pull, and keeps us in orbit until it dies - if there was a god would the sun really die (I don't think so). This also tells us that nearly all stars out there would have atleast one planet on it, and if the planet is the right distance (like earth) from the star, may have life on it. So it's pretty safe to say there is life out there as well (though I doubt they would have two legs and two arms and a head etc.....in fact they would be nothing like anything on earth, basically because of the way they evolved. They might not even be DNA based. And they most definately would not have well devaloped brains like ours, ours is just plain luck) Why am I talking about aliens!

Anyway, back to the topic, think about this: If evolution is effected by some God, and not nature, what created this god? hmmmm

Science also proves the cold hard truth that death is a process in where everything in your brain is irreversibly destroyed. Everything about you (personality, memory, your so called 'soul') is destroyed along with it........if you didn't catch on, death is when you die forever, and that's it. No afterlife b/s. Think about it, it's not very realistic is it? Some magical place, where you are greated by glowing angels into the gates of heaven, on the fluffy white clouds.........no wait, clouds are steam.........and heaven? well, with everything that has died so far, that would be full of billions and billions and billions (to the power of a billion) of people and animals. Man it must be huge!

Also, think about the answer to the question: "How were we created?"
Evolution Theory: We evolved from simple organisms (similar to bacteria) and billions of years later we get multicellular organisms, then billions and billions of years after that these organisms evolved a nervious system, then a control center (brain), the from then brains evolved conscious and sub-conscious (the most basic species, like ants, run on brains similar to our sub-conscious and have no conscious) which gives us the abilty to be aware and have personalties and exchange information with a sub-conscious which does all the background work (thinking, memories, body devalopment, breathing etc....) and wallah! Here we are.

God Theory: Man was created instantaniously (including all organs, brain power, ability to speak - really?) from DUST! And Woman waas created by the man's RIB! Oh so that's why we are missing one! hmmm, yeah. Let's forget about the species before humans ay, like dinosaurs and stuff. Hmmm, like they didn't exist until the bones were discovered, oh gee that kind of contridicts the God's Theory, hmmmmmmm....well kind of, given the fact that this theory is that we we his first creation (apart from the earth etc....)

I do believe that nature almost has some sort of mind though. Really think about it, our brains which make up who we are (not a soul!) are just a bunch of cells connected to exchange information. Nature could almost have what could be considered a mind - everything fits perfectly: Plants give us food and oxygen to live, we give them Carbon Dioxide and when we die our bodies rot and help more plants grow - fits way too perfectly for it to be random mutations in the DNA. And how a dogs bark can give you a major fright, because it has evolved that way - maybe the dog once made the sound and went "wow, that sounds scary!" and kept it going on. Basically, I think it's more realistic to think that nature is really the dominion of us all. Lets face it, whether it has a mind or not, nature can kill us, and evolve us more, easily (can evolve a virus, can produce a plant that feeds on CO2 and releases a dangerous chemical that kills brain-orientated species, and plant species, making it the only living thing on the planet - scary huh! I know it's going too far).

Overall, Science answers all the questions that were asked to create God. Science can't prove there is a God, neither can it prove there isn't - the obvious answer is that if science answers it all, and god was a theory to answer is all in ancient times, that's prove enough that god indeed does not exist. If this were a trial, the evidence would prove indefinately that there is no god.

Hell, I could say to you that there is a guy named Phil sitting next to you, you can't sense him in anyway, and you can talk to him, but he can't talk back. Can I prove he's there? No, but can you prove he isn't....no.....hmmmm, deep huh?

To sum it up finally - If you believe in some God, that is perfectly okay, as long as you don't use him as an excuse for killing someone, or doing something else bad, or killing yourself, and don't use him as a basis in sentencing someone, or anything stupid like that. Just believe, and keep this believe to yourself and others who also share it. Keep it internally so that nothing can be affected in a wrong way by it..........because think about it, people's lives have been destroyed because of these beliefs, don't take a chance just incase it isn't true.
It makes me sad to hear that you do not believe in God and there is probably no way for me to convince any of you.I agree that people should not use God as an excuse to murder someone, if they do they are not a true Christian.....I will never keep the good news of God to myself in my church for this reason-"He said to them,'Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation.Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemmed.'" Mark 16:15,16 This is why we want to be in public as much as possible.

Re: Is there a God?

Do you want there to be one.....if so, then Yes

Technocratic_Utilitarian said:
No. God does not exist.
At night, if someone said that the sun does not exist because he could not see it. I would say to him that the sun is there wheather or not he believed it. His non-belief would not make the sun not exist.

God does not exist the same that Lepreuchans don't exist. I am fully justified in denying that lepreuchans and god do not exist. They are literary fiction. THere's no reason to treat them otherwise.

alienken said:
At night, if someone said that the sun does not exist because he could not see it. I would say to him that the sun is there wheather or not he believed it. His non-belief would not make the sun not exist.

Imagine you are bilnd and one guy tells you that the tree is green another guy says it is yellow and another says it is white. Whom do you believe? Everybody says that all the others are blind and he is the only one who can see. You can't see anything.
Then you hit the tree with your fist and it hurts. What does the damn color matter?

I believe there is a God. I also believe our bodies take on new souls after we die. Where else do all the souls come from that obtain a phsycial body? The bible does say "life is everlasting and there is no end".

Back
Top Bottom