• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is it ok for Dr's to lie to patients to prevent an abortion?

Is it ok for Dr's to lie to patients to prevent an abortion?

• Yes...

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • No...

Votes: 45 91.8%

• Total voters

JasonI

Banned
Reaction score
Where pissing off the has beens here is fun...
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Arizona Senate approves lying to women to prevent abortions

By David Edwards
Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:23 EDT

Topics: arizona senate ♦ Nancy Barto

The Arizona Senate on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow doctors withhold information about prenatal problems if it could make the decision to have an abortion more likely.

Republican state Sen. Nancy Barto introduced the measure to protect doctors from so-called “wrongful birth” lawsuits.

Such lawsuits are sometimes filed by parents of children with disabilities who believe that doctors withheld information that could have led to the decision to have an abortion.

“When I first heard of this issue, I couldn’t believe that these lawsuits are actually happening,” Barto told KTAR last month. “That some couples, after they give birth to their child that has a disability, would claim that the child should not have been born, and would sue to get damages.”

“The lawsuits that are being brought imply that the physician is somehow at fault if the child is born with a disability,” she added.

Arizona Senate approves lying to women to prevent abortions | The Raw Story

By David Edwards

The Arizona Senate on Tuesday approved a bill that would allow doctors withhold information about prenatal problems if it could make the decision to have an abortion more likely.

Republican state Sen. Nancy Barto introduced the measure to protect doctors from so-called “wrongful birth” lawsuits.

Such lawsuits are sometimes filed by parents of children with disabilities who believe that doctors withheld information that could have led to the decision to have an abortion.

“When I first heard of this issue, I couldn’t believe that these lawsuits are actually happening,” Barto told KTAR last month. “That some couples, after they give birth to their child that has a disability, would claim that the child should not have been born, and would sue to get damages.”

“The lawsuits that are being brought imply that the physician is somehow at fault if the child is born with a disability,” she added.

A doctor's job is to save lives not encourage people to take the lives of others.

By David Edwards

I think the headline and spin is misleading. Your link says:

Barto claimed that a doctor could still be sued if there was evidence of wrongdoing. “If a doctor intentionally or knowlingly withholds information then a lawsuit could be appropriate,” she said.

Barto is the Senator who introduced the legislation, so I think we can accept that the quote is accurate. If the legislation allows this, what's the problem?

It's the Hippocratic Oath. A mother's opinion on the definition of personhood is not superior to a doctor's.

I'm sorry...I think i'm missing what you are saying...

The headline reads: Arizona Senate Approves Lying to Women to Prevent Abortions.

No, it doesn't. So says a quote within the article:

Barto claimed that a doctor could still be sued if there was evidence of wrongdoing. “If a doctor intentionally or knowlingly withholds information then a lawsuit could be appropriate,” she said.

If a doctor can still be sued if he/she intentionally or knowingly withholds information, then he/she absolutely cannot do what the headline suggests.

This is sickening, how can people who are supposedly for "small government" support this crap?

Moderator's Warning:
Moved to appropriate forum.

Just on the actual topic of doctors and telling the truth, all the other stuff aside.

A doctor can NEVER lie and should NEVER be able to lie to a patient about any conditions or truths. If they do they are at risk for repercussions including being sued, licenses removed or suspended and or jailed.

Anybody that thinks different is totally clueless

The headline reads: Arizona Senate Approves Lying to Women to Prevent Abortions.

No, it doesn't. So says a quote within the article:

If a doctor can still be sued if he/she intentionally or knowingly withholds information, then he/she absolutely cannot do what the headline suggests.

I read it again and she is saying that if the law passes, Dr's can lie, but if there is wrongdoing, they can still be sued...

The headline is a fantasy. Read the article.

Yeah I read the article and was looking for where it stated that... it'd be ridiculous to support a bill that would support lying, in the medical field, no less.

Edit: I Don't know what to think anymore, so you can purposefully lie, but that wouldn't be wrongdoing according to the bill? Then what would be wrong doing be? I can't imagine lying to a patient to further an agenda against abortion fits in line with the Hippocratic oath.

Last edited:
No, is not appropriate to lie.

However, a healthcare professional may refuse service. So if it becomes evident that the patient is seeking an abortion the ob / gyn may end the working relationship with that patient.

Should, even. That is, if they value medical ethics...

Last edited:
Absolutely not! Is it ok for a doctor to lie about anything?
Absolutely not!

Here is the upfront, ethical way to deal with the specific dilemma at hand:

"I don't do abortions. I don't get involved in abortions. I'm not going to order this test if you're just going to use the result to justify an abortion."

With that disclosure, the patient can now choose to not use that physician at that time, and can go use Google to seek out the killer of their choice.

Incidentally, for our kid, we specifically sought out an OB/GYN who understood she had two patients.

Here is the upfront, ethical way to deal with the specific dilemma at hand:

"I don't do abortions. I don't get involved in abortions. I'm not going to order this test if you're just going to use the result to justify an abortion."

With that disclosure, the patient can now choose to not use that physician at that time, and can go use Google to seek out the killer of their choice.

Incidentally, for our kid, we specifically sought out an OB/GYN who understood she had two patients.

And that Dr would be joining the unemployment line shortly thereafter...

This is not new. And we can expect it to spread if allowed by the courts. Similar legislation is in the courts in Oklahoma.

The "Let Women Die" bill. SFAG - CafeMom

Sen. Nancy Barto (R-Phoenix) told the Claims Journal that she sponsored the law because she did not want claimants to blame a doctor for a baby born with disabilities. Under the provisions of her bill, a doctor could not be sued for medical malpractice if the doctor withholds information from a mother about a child's potential health issues that could influence her decision to have an abortion. In addition, a lawsuit could not be filed on the child's behalf regarding a disability.

The suits and laws have been deemed "wrongful birth" and "wrongful life."

Barto's legislation will allow for medical malpractice suits in the event for "intentional or grossly negligent" acts and for any acts that violate criminal law. Barto proposed the legislation after it was proposed by the conservative Center for Arizona Policy.......

"I cannot think of a time that it is right to withhold information from a patient that would cause them pain or death," Heinz told HuffPost. "That is not consistent with the Hippocratic Oath.".....

Currently Pennsylvania, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Idaho, Indiana, Missouri, Minnesota and North Carolina have wrongful birth laws. A 1994 challenge to the Pennsylvania law ended with the law being upheld by a federal appeals court; the U.S. Supreme Court declinedto hear the case. Kansas lawmakers are currently debating a measure that would allow doctors to withhold information from a mother in order to prevent an abortion and not face a malpractice suit.

Back
Top Bottom