• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is homosexuality a mental illness?

Is prejudice against homosexuals indicative of mental illness? Well, I can certainly imagine making a case for it. Since there is nothing inherently harmful about homosexuality, there is nothing the least bit threatening to the people not involved and since no rational claim can ever be constructed as to why it should be considered bad OTHER than "just because people say so", then the complete irrationality of those holding such positions indicates a mind impervious to reason. Rationality being one of the litmus tests with which we measure sanity, the lack thereof, while not indicating mental illness in and of itself, is nevertheless a red flag that the person in question is potentially not of sound mind.

There is no such thing as "mental illness". The DSM is nothing but a payment mechanism which psychiatrists have benefited from immensely due to pushing the medical model as a legitimate explanation for peculiar behaviors. It has no inter-rater reliability and no syndrome validity. In fact, when they came out with the "revolutionary" DSM III, they found out that it was worse than the DSM II. It hasn't changed all the way up to the DSM IV-TR. There is no scientific evidence to support the concept of a mental illness. There isn't even an accepted definition for it, because there is no single delineating factor that people can use to identify mental illnesses. There are only brain diseases and there are maladaptive behaviors. The concept of a mental illness is a myth and the DSM is one of the greatest frauds ever perpetrated. It was nothing more than scientific rhetoric passed off as science.

The definition of mental illness is...

Survival of genetic homosexual traits explained - life - 13 October 2004 - New Scientist

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life...nary+advantage+Researchers/2523112/story.html

There you go. Two alternative explanations of the origins of homosexuality, each supported by a degree of scientific evidence.

You haven't even come close to broaching this subject. I look forward to hearing what you have to say about these articles, if anything. People with "Very Conservative" in their profile more often than not turn out to be "Very Closed Minded".

Last edited:
I'm not defensive as there is nothing to be defensive about. I'm amused at what people consider "normal" and "abnormal". Really, those are pretty subjective terms. And my numbers come from Kinsey reports. You can take them or leave them, doesn't matter in the slightest to me.

It's not possible for you to offend me. But again with the dramatics, sheesh. Biological failure? Says who? You? LOL I'm not being defensive, catty, or anything of the sort, I honestly find this kind of talk amusing. Nor am I being condescending in that regard. You are who you are. Whether you are a failure or success at something is really up to what goals you've set for yourself. If you set the goal of having children and didn't, then I guess you did fail at that. But "biological failure"? That implies some sort of grand, conscious design and THAT is the part that I just can't grasp and makes me chuckle. (likely because the mere idea of a grand designer makes me chuckle)

Again, that is not being defensive, or condescending, or whatever. Just plain old straight up unadulterated truth.

Good, I'm glad you weren't offended because that wasn't my intention. I put no credence in the Kinsey Report. Actually, a Professor of Cellular Biology at the University of Wisconsin used that term to describe failure to procreate. Makes perfect sense to me; don't know why it doesn't to you. But hardly a point of contention in my mind.

Good, I'm glad you weren't offended because that wasn't my intention. I put no credence in the Kinsey Report. Actually, a Professor of Cellular Biology at the University of Wisconsin used that term to describe failure to procreate. Makes perfect sense to me; don't know why it doesn't to you. But hardly a point of contention in my mind.

Well, describing someone as a biological failure diminishes them to mere machines that are designed by someone/something to perform certain tasks in certain ways and fail. Like my washing machine failing to wash my clothes. It's not a term that I would embrace for myself since I consider myself more than a mindless machine, but to each their own.

Well, describing someone as a biological failure diminishes them to mere machines that are designed by someone/something to perform certain tasks in certain ways and fail. Like my washing machine failing to wash my clothes. It's not a term that I would embrace for myself since I consider myself more than a mindless machine, but to each their own.

I can't disagree. That may just be the way cellular biologists think. We think we're something very special, but, in reality, we're just one more lifeform on the planet earth.

“While activism was important, the acknolwedgement of that motive force should not be used to construe that the actual rationale for de-listing was political.” - Technocratic

The actual rational was political and has been well documented by people like Ron Bayer in Homosexuality and American Psychiatry: The Politics of Diagnosis. Dr. Charles Socarides, wrote a book called Sexual Politics and Scientific Logic: The Issue of Homosexuality, which bolsters Bayer’s claims. Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth by Dr. Jeffrey Satinover where he discusses after much political pressure a committee of the APA met behind closed doors and voted to remove homosexuality from the DSM.

You can read more for yourself here, which is a gay-friendly site (or seems to be).

“On the contrary, a comprehensive analysis of the literature was studied, and the reasoning behind listing homosexuality as a mental disorder was seen as fraudulent or had poor methodology.” - Technocratic

And that “comprehensive analysis of the literature was studied” would include which "studies"?

“For example, classifying homosexuality as a mental disorder was founded almost exclusively on a non-representative sampling of people. Most were psych ward patients or criminals already admitted for mental disorders. That's a terrible methodology.” - Technocratic

Agreed, so where is this documented?

“Moreover, a great deal of mental problems gays have stem from cultural persecution and pressures.” - Technocratic

This is one of my favorites

Please cite documentation where it is society’s fault.

“Many American Christians suffer from persecution syndrome, and already display similiar traits, except, they aren't actually persecuted. Gays are, and thus, their severe. I guess Christians must be mentally disabled.” - Technocratic

Okay. This is new one and very cute.

1. Please show how gay-folks are "persecuted".

2. Please show how many American Christians suffer from persecution syndrome (please give a definition of this “medical term”).

“Edit: ** Ironically, there's actually a much better case for claimng religious people have a mental illness than are gays, given religious people in general believe they have personal relationship with an invisible, imaginary friend who lives in the clouds. But hey, we all know religion is "a sacred cow" and thus excluded from the definition of mental illness arbitrarily. Gays are mental because they are attracted to the same sex, but Christians aren't, even though they talk to people who don't exist. I get it. Let's move on.” - Technocratic

I can see this debate will be going down-hill very quickly.

“But sexual attraction is a biological concept, and it certainly has a biological component.” - Technocratic

How is it a ”biological concept”? What makes that so? You are making a statement of fact without any corroborating evidence to support your claim.

“Even if it were purely chosen (and it's not), abnormal doesn't equal mentally ill.” - Technocratic

Depends on who you talk to. For some, their homosexuality was chosen and they will testify to that being the case. While I personally believe these people to be in the minority of gay-folks, the fact remains that some folks do “choose” this life-style.

“Edit: *And there actually is a correlation between genetics and homosexuality according to twin studies.” - Technocratic

And this one may actually be my favorite...

The favorite study usually quoted by pro-gay advocates is the one conducted by Bailey and Pillard which showed that an unusually high number of identical twins were both gay (a little over 50% as I recall). The problem was:

1. When they advertised for their study they only advertised in gay magazines which--surprise!--is only read by gay-folks so their sample population was skewed.

2. If there really was a genetic component to homosexuality, then those twins with one twin being gay would have necessitated that the other twin was gay, as well, since identical twins have the exact same genetics.

“…people who were "mentally ill" stop being so because it's no longer abnormal. That's a sign of a bad conceptualization of illness. But in objectve terms, research that lead to the declassification have shown that gays as a group are not actually more mentally disturbed than the general population on account of being gay.” - Technocratic

I think the term everyone is looking for here is “disordered”. At least, that’s the term that the DSM uses and according the latest version of the DSM, homosexuality is not a “disorder”.

Of important note is that the DSM does not consider homosexuality to be a “disorder” because they keep changing the $#@&!$#! definition of “disorder”.

“In a review of published studies comparing homosexual and heterosexual samples on psychological tests, Gonsiorek (1982) found that, although some differences have been observed in test results between homosexuals and heterosexuals, both groups consistently score within the normal range. Gonsiorek concluded that "Homosexuality in and of itself is unrelated to psychological disturbance or maladjustment. Homosexuals as a group are not more psychologically disturbed on account of their homosexuality" - Technocratic

Nobody ever claimed that gay-folks couldn’t function normally within society. That much is self-evident. But you also have to consider:

1. gay-folks abuse drugs and alcohol at higher rates than the general population.

2. gay-folks have higher incidences of mental illnesses.

"Bailey said, "These studies contain arguably the best published data on the association between homosexuality and psychopathology, and both converge on the same unhappy conclusion: homosexual people are at substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, and nicotine dependence...The strength of the new studies is their degree of control."

By the way, that would be the same "Bailey" I mentioned in the above twin-study!

Nobody ever claimed that gay-folks couldn’t function normally within society. That much is self-evident. But you also have to consider:

1. gay-folks abuse drugs and alcohol at higher rates than the general population.

They are also under more stress than the general popluation as a result of personal attacks against them. One would expect people who are unusually oppressed, hated, and maltreated to turn to reality-alterting drugs as a means of escapism from society's attitude. Gay folks having medical illnesses would also make sense due to the vastly increased social stresses upon them.

Again, this shouldn't be confused with caused by being gay.

I think the term everyone is looking for here is “disordered”. At least, that’s the term that the DSM uses and according the latest version of the DSM, homosexuality is not a “disorder”.

Of important note is that the DSM does not consider homosexuality to be a “disorder” because they keep changing the $#@&!$#! definition of “disorder”.

I know what they use, I was iterating what HE is using. I know homosexuality is not a mental disorder. THe prolem with the definition proposed in the OP is that it's uselessly vague and subective, leading to ridiculous results of flip flopping based on external values, not on anything intrinsic to the patient.

And this one may actually be my favorite...

The favorite study usually quoted by pro-gay advocates is the one conducted by Bailey and Pillard which showed that an unusually high number of identical twins were both gay (a little over 50% as I recall). The problem was:

1. When they advertised for their study they only advertised in gay magazines which--surprise!--is only read by gay-folks so their sample population was skewed.

2. If there really was a genetic component to homosexuality, then those twins with one twin being gay would have necessitated that the other twin was gay, as well, since identical twins have the exact same genetics.

The twin studies are only a problem if one takes the simplistic assumption that there is some "gay gene," which I never implied nor advocated. However, that doesn't mean sexual attracton has no biological component. That's obviously false. Sexuality is a combination of biological and environmental factors. But it's not a "lolz gay gene."

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3008-homosexuality-is-biological-suggests-gay-sheep-study.html
http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11071/courses/abnormal/is homo biological.pdf

I can see this debate will be going down-hill very quickly.

No, I am just applying the standard consistently. To claim that gays have a mental illness because they aren't attracted to the opposite sex, while claiming religious people are okay, because it's "normal" is the height of absurdity. The latter is far closer to any mental illness than being gay. It's just not PC to say it.

How is it a ”biological concept”? What makes that so? You are making a statement of fact without any corroborating evidence to support your claim.

Are you contending that sex drive and gender attraction are purely socially crafted phenomena and that kids need to be trained to like girls and boys? That biology plays no part in sexual attraction? Interestng proposal, if that's indeed what you believe. So, I ask again, when were you trained to like women?

I will look for the studies again, but I read a while ago that there is some discrepency in the brain between hetero and homosexuals. It's also common knowledge in reproductive science that in Humans, as well as non-humans, pheremones have an influence on attraction.

In the meantime: http://mtsu32.mtsu.edu:11071/courses/abnormal/is homo biological.pdf (as early as 1991, there has been evidence of a biological component to sexuality, if not necessarily a direct genetic causation).

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3008-homosexuality-is-biological-suggests-gay-sheep-study.html

Amazingly (well, not really), the recent studies on homosexual brains even show up in non-human animals, just the same as those in the original studies on Human homosexuals. They all tend to have different brain structures in the area involving sexual urges.

Okay. This is new one and very cute.

1. Please show how gay-folks are "persecuted".

2. Please show how many American Christians suffer from persecution syndrome (please give a definition of this “medical term”).

1. Western culture is overwhelmingly influenced by judeo-christian assumptions, and a large chunk of that is homophobic. Gays are routinely linked win "sin, evil, disgusting, unnatural, and immoral." This message is repeated infinitely by the Amen Chorus down in Jesus Land of the American South. Refer to the link I provided, as it discusses in further detail the strong cultural of religious bias that colours peoples' attitudes toward gays in the United States, and elsewhere. Repeated messages of how bad, sinful, and unnatural they are is psychologically tormenting. They are also denied fundamental liberties in many states (marriage rights, etc).

Your contention couldn't possibly be serious unless you've been livng in a bomb shelter for the last hundred yeas.

2. Christian Persecution Syndrom is the state in which a Christian believes he is oppressed, when he's actually not. It's brought on by the inability to get everything he wants, all the time. THis is similar to the Antebellum Slaveholders, who cried persecution against the North whenever they were afraid they would get outvoted on something. Today, refer to the so-called "cultural wars." Christrians routinely complain their religious rights and freedoms are violated. They've even gone to such absurd lengths as to manufacture a "war on Christmas" every year to get attention. If you say happy holidays and want to allow gays to get married, pastors and preachers and other hokum peddlers get up in their megachurches and proclaim the "assault on godly morality by the evil secular faggotlovin Liiiiiiiiiiiiiberals and their homoeritic ways." Pat Robertson, Falwell, and the God Hates Fags guy are all great examples of these mistreated people.

For the information about the flaws of the original studies, and about the treatment of gays influencing their attitudes and behavours, refer to the website I gave you. It's an excellent primer.

Last edited:
“Gay activism was clearly the force that propelled the APA to declassify homosexuality.”

Agreed. Now here is the million dollar question. What criteria was used to classify homosexuality as a mental illness to begin with? I'll give ya a hint, it was the same criteria that was used to classify masturbation as a mental illness.

Homosexuality is clearly an impairment of normal behavioral functioning. Again back to medical definitions, normal is: “agreeing with the regular and established type.” Here the “regular and established type” is clearly heterosexual behavior. Major national surveys of sexual behavior have consistently shown that less than three percent of the American population identify themselves as homosexual or bisexual. The National Health and Social Life Survey found that 2.8% of the male, and 1.4% of the female, population identify themselves as gay, lesbian, or bisexual (3). Therefore, based on these small percentages, homosexual behavior functioning does not agree with the regular and established behavior, therefore it is not “normal” behavior.

What else is not "normal" behavior?

-displaying exceptional talent at a young age
-Olympic record setters
-making a million dollars before you are twenty
-using your left hand

I guess all those are "impairments" by your logic as well.

Homosexuality is caused by physiological factors. Again, the medical definitions: “physiological: being in accord with or characteristic of the normal functioning of a living organism”, and “life: the property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli”. Therefore a living being that does not behave in a manner that allows reproduction is not in accord with its normal functioning.

I'll make sure to let celibate priests and nuns know they have a mental illness.

Homosexuality is also caused by psychosocial factors. There is some argument that homosexuals are ‘born that way’, however research on identical twins and maternal X chromosome inheritance has failed to provide a correlation with sexual orientation (4). Claims that the hypothalamus is a determination of sexuality have been shown to be unsubstantiated (5). Perhaps some homosexuals are genetically predisposed, but there is little argument that other homosexuals choose their lifestyle. Even the APA admits that “no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors (6)” If homosexuality isn’t caused by genetics in all cases, then it must be caused by psychosocial factors in some cases.

There are many theories under investigation. What is clear is that there is a stronger biological link to sexual orientation that there is to handedness, and we don't call left handed people, "mentally ill".

This leads us back to the definition of mental illness. Homosexuality impairs normal behavioral functioning, the behavior impairs the individual’s ability to reproduce normally, and at least in some cases is caused by psychosocial factors. Therefore the answer to the question “Is homosexuality a mental illness?” must be found to be “yes”.

Considering you made up a definition of mental illness to suit your purpose that can't distinguish between child prodigies, nuns, and left handed people, yup it seems to meet the criteria you have established. Of course, psychiatrists have been doing the same thing for decades.

“They are also under more stress than the general popluation as a result of personal attacks against them.” - Technocratic

I think what we are lacking here is perspective. It’s awfully easy to say someone is "persecuted" when there no perspective.

I tell ya what, let’s compare gays with blacks folks before the civil-rights movement. A fair comparison considering gays are always comparing their struggle to that of the civil rights movement, right?

Let’s see…

Are gays forced to the back of the bus?

No.

Are gays forced to systematically stay out of “straight-only” places of business?

No.

Are gays forced to live only in certain areas?

No.

Do gays, as a group, have a poorer standard of living than straights?

No.

Are gays forced to be educated in "separate but equal" schools?

No.

Are gays forced to drink from the “gay water fountains”?

No.

If a gay goes into a store and tries on some clothes, would he be forced to buy those clothes if he decided he didn’t want them?

No.

Ummm…I’m runnin’ outta ideas.

“I know what they use, I was iterating what HE is using.” - Technocratic

And he got the definition from an on-line medical dictionary. He did his “due-diligence”. If you don’t like the definition he pulled off the net--get another one. You’re beating him up right now because you can and it in no way furthers intelligent discussion on this important issue.

“THe prolem with the definition proposed in the OP is that it's uselessly vague and subective, leading to ridiculous results of flip flopping based on external values, not on anything intrinsic to the patient.” - Technocratic

So you can’t offer up an alternative to build consensus or further along an intelligent dialogue?

“However, that doesn't mean sexual attracton has no biological component. That's obviously false. Sexuality is a combination of biological and environmental factors.” - Technocratic

It’s possible. To the very best of my knowledge, no one knows what the cause is and science does seem to be leading in the direction that it is a multiple number of factors that cause it.

“No, I am just applying the standard consistently. To claim that gays have a mental illness because they aren't attracted to the opposite sex, while claiming religious people are okay, because it's ‘normal’…” - Technocratic

Let’s see…approximately 2% of the population is gay which puts them in a risk group where they will have higher dependency on drugs and alcohol and “are at substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, and nicotine dependence” and this is the same as someone like…me…who also believes I “have personal relationship with an invisible, imaginary friend who lives in the clouds”.

I really fail to see how you connect the two…

“The latter is far closer to any mental illness than being gay.” - Technocratic

Uh-huh. Like I said…going down-hill very quickly.

“Are you contending that sex drive and gender attraction are purely socially crafted phenomena and…” - Technocratic

I’m not contending anything. I’ve asked a question and I’m still waiting on the answer so I’ll ask it again, “How is it a ‘biological concept’? What makes that so?” You make statements without any benefit of corroborating documentation to support your claims.

And I think you know better…

“I will look for the studies again, but I read a while ago that there is some discrepency in the brain between hetero and homosexuals.” - Technocratic

Are you referring to the hypothalamus studies?

“1. Western culture is overwhelmingly influenced by judeo-christian assumptions, and a large chunk of that is homophobic. Gays are routinely linked win "sin, evil, disgusting, unnatural, and immoral." This message is repeated infinitely by the Amen Chorus down in Jesus Land of the American South.” - Technocratic

Well, this is your day! Cause I’m a bona-fide redneck of the Christian persuasion located right here in Dixie (that’s God’s Country to you!) and I’ll be able to report what’s goin’ on right here on the front-lines.

1. A large chunk of our Judeo-Christian society is not homophobic. I’ve yet to see someone running away screaming like a little girl or peeing all over themselves when a gay person walks into the room.

2. Yes, gays are routinely linked with “sin, evil, disgusting, unnatural and immoral” tags…just like every other sinner, including me.

To your point, however, I will submit that there are some Christians that treat homosexuality like some kind of “super-sin”. However, this is not a view supported by the Scriptures and I take issue with it.

“They are also denied fundamental liberties in many states (marriage rights, etc).” - Technocratic

I know you’re not going to like my response here--few people do--but the truth is that gay-folks have the exact same rights to marry as I do.

“Christian Persecution Syndrom is the state in which a Christian believes he is oppressed, when he's actually not. It's brought on by the inability to get everything he wants, all the time. THis is similar to the Antebellum Slaveholders, who cried persecution against the North whenever they were afraid they would get outvoted on something. Today, refer to the so-called "cultural wars." Christrians routinely complain their religious rights and freedoms are violated. They've even gone to such absurd lengths as to manufacture a "war on Christmas" every year to get attention. If you say happy holidays and want to allow gays to get married, pastors and preachers and other hokum peddlers get up in their megachurches and proclaim the "assault on godly morality by the evil secular faggotlovin Liiiiiiiiiiiiiberals and their homoeritic ways." Pat Robertson, Falwell, and the God Hates Fags guy are all great examples of these mistreated people.” - Technocratic

Well, I hang out with a lot of Christians and I can tell ya that none of us feel “oppressed”. And while I’ve never gotten “everything” I’ve ever wanted, I never had to be treated for Christian Persecution Syndrome. In fact, until now, I’ve never even heard of “Christian Persecution Syndrome”

And while I don’t feel like we’ve learned a lot about “Christian Persecution Syndrome” here today…

…I think we may have learned a lot about you. And probably more that you would have liked.

"Any of various psychiatric conditions, usually characterized by impairment of an individual's normal cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning, and caused by physiological or psychosocial factors (1)."
You are setting yourself up for failure, because homosexuals aren't impared cognititvely. Actually, gay men typically have a higher IQ than heterosexual men.

Homosexuality is clearly an impairment of normal behavioral functioning. Again back to medical definitions, normal is: “agreeing with the regular and established type.” Here the “regular and established type” is clearly heterosexual behavior.
Again you fail to make it to the fail-bus.

The definition of mental illness is meant to characterize self-destructive mentally abortion behavior. By "normal" we must accept that there is a "range" of normality and treat each case individually. Also we cannot treat all deviations from a generic range of "normality" as a destructive or unhealthy behavior. A hermaphrodite is physically abnormal, because the hermaphrodite might have both male and female generals. Being both physically and sexually deviated from the "norm" does not make a hermaphrodite automatically "insane."

Another example, in case you didn't comprehend the first; a genius is not "normal" because it's "normal" to be below average intelligence, and to have the characteristics of a person with below average intelligence (on a bell curve). This "abnormality" does not make your typical genius a "madman" nor does it make the genius mentally impaired.

Homosexuality is caused by physiological factors.
Actually it's not. Cognitive science has advanced a lot since the 1970s.

Every human being begins from the same template, that template is female. People who develop into men are a deviant path from the "default" female path, but not all men make it to full masculinity. That's why you end up with hermaphrodites, who might have a mix of sexual traits. That's also why you have people who are attracted to the pheromones of the same sex--which is a physical desire from a physical orientation. In short, homosexuals are no more insane than chicks-with-penises. I know that might make you uncomfortable, but it's true.

I think there is a stronger case to be made for "homophobia" as a mental illness. Gay-bashers have dangerous unresolved anger issues.

Last edited:
If homosexuality is a mental illness then sexuality itself is a mental illness.

Anyone who believes such non-sense is delusional.

I think what we are lacking here is perspective. It’s awfully easy to say someone is "persecuted" when there no perspective.

I tell ya what, let’s compare gays with blacks folks before the civil-rights movement. A fair comparison considering gays are always comparing their struggle to that of the civil rights movement, right?

Let’s see…

Are gays forced to the back of the bus?

No.

Are gays forced to systematically stay out of “straight-only” places of business?

No.

Are gays forced to live only in certain areas?

No.

Do gays, as a group, have a poorer standard of living than straights?

No.

Are gays forced to be educated in "separate but equal" schools?

No.

Are gays forced to drink from the “gay water fountains”?

No.

If a gay goes into a store and tries on some clothes, would he be forced to buy those clothes if he decided he didn’t want them?

No.

Ummm…I’m runnin’ outta ideas.

So A is just not as bad as B. The reality is that gays are denied various political freedoms that other people have, and they are subject to constant physical and psychological tormenting. That they aren't as extensive as those of 1950s era blacks is immaterial. All over the world, gays are beaten, killed, mocked, tormented, and denied fundamental freedoms. It wasn't too long ago where it was a "sport" among NeoConfederate rednecks to lynch gays, just like blacks. That society has institutionally improved doesn't mean we don't have systematic attacks on gays by large, vocal interest groups.

Let's replace "persecution" with "victimized." That's better.

\And he got the definition from an on-line medical dictionary. He did his “due-diligence”. If you don’t like the definition he pulled off the net--get another one. You’re beating him up right now because you can and it in no way furthers intelligent discussion on this important issue.

A definition which uses a term that isn't even academically appropriate in the field. i already addressed the definition's content, as well. That it's in a dictionary doesn't mean anything other than it's used, not that it's good. The dictionary also defines Atheism as "immorality." Doesn't mean it's accurate.

Any definition that uses such a subjective standard "it's an illness if it's not normal" is practically worthless.

“THe prolem with the definition proposed in the OP is that it's uselessly vague and subective, leading to ridiculous results of flip flopping based on external values, not on anything intrinsic to the patient.” - Technocratic

So you can’t offer up an alternative to build consensus or further along an intelligent dialogue?

There have been: he rejects them in favour of the "if it's abnormal, it's a mental disorder." I cited the current research on the issue and the modern concept of mental illness, which homosexuality's characteristics do not match up to.

It’s possible. To the very best of my knowledge, no one knows what the cause is and science does seem to be leading in the direction that it is a multiple number of factors that cause it.

I agree that the science of sexuality is somewhat nebulous. Current research from the 1990s-2002 has at least identified strong correlations between biology and sexual orientation, although more study needs to be done for causation.Primarily, both in human and non-human animals, there is a correlation between brain structures of those with different orientations. Homosexual brains often have structures that resemble female or male counterparts (depending on the gender). I doubt this is pure coincidence. But for him to act as if it's purely some cultural phenomenon is absurd. No one needs to tell you to be attracted to males or females.

I also think it's a complex, multivariable issue. But he doesn't.

Let’s see…approximately 2% of the population is gay which puts them in a risk group where they will have higher dependency on drugs and alcohol and “are at substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, and nicotine dependence” and this is the same as someone like…me…who also believes I “have personal relationship with an invisible, imaginary friend who lives in the clouds”.

Well first, I never said either were the same as each other. Clearly, religious people would be closer to a delusional disorder, if anything. Talking to imaginary beings, and basing your life goals and behaviour upon those irrational fantasies is...well...delusional. The fact that a lot of people suffer from this mind virus doesn't make it any less delusional.

Second, it's true homosexuals are at a higher risk for all of the above: the problem is that's correlational, not causal. The research cited actually indicates it is not being gay itself that causes it. Higher rates of suicide, depression, alcoholism etc all can stem from the social pressures of constantly being social outcasts. We see high rates of alcholism, suicide, and other mental illnesses among Native Americans, too. Doesn't mean being Indian is a mental disorder.

I really fail to see how you connect the two…

Easy. Religious people operate persistantly, often immune to change, under a completely false, almost paranoid-delusional worldview. Similar to schizophrenia.

Uh-huh. Like I said…going down-hill very quickly.

Only because people compartmentalize religious delusion. It's a sacred cow to respect faith. People will tolerate all manner of nonsense, so long as you can slap "religion" on the front of it. This often leads to behaviour which is not only detrimental to themselves, but to others. Take Jones town, the heaven's gate cult, etc. Christianity is just a very popular death cult that ritualizes suffering, self-loathing, etc. Quite depressing.

Are you referring to the hypothalamus studies?

Among other things, those suggest a possible biological corrolation. Both links indicate it, but there are other issues, such as prenatal hormonal influences. I again am not saying it's purely "genetic" determination or only biological, but that biology seems to have a link to sexual attraction. It's also quite intuitive: no one actually teaches anyone explicitly to be attracted to genders. No one had to teach jimmy girls are hot. He came to his own conclusion after puberty.

1. A large chunk of our Judeo-Christian society is not homophobic. I’ve yet to see someone running away screaming like a little girl or peeing all over themselves when a gay person walks into the room.

Good thing that's not the definition of homophobia. It's somewhat of a misnomer.

2. Yes, gays are routinely linked with “sin, evil, disgusting, unnatural and immoral” tags…just like every other sinner, including me.

Except, other "sinners" are rarely singled out with the ire and frothing roid-rage that gays are. When is the last time you heard of someone guilty of gluttony being strung up from a tree? OH wait, almost never. But I hav e seen gays being lynched and whole groups devoted to attacking gays for being evil abominations unto the lord. I rarely, if ever, see mass protests by churches with signs like those of the Westboro Baptists for issues unrelated to homosexuality.

Some sins, as you said, are "super sins" and get all the attention. It is almost an obsessive-compulsive drive among the more conservative and fundamentalist Christians.

To your point, however, I will submit that there are some Christians that treat homosexuality like some kind of “super-sin”. However, this is not a view supported by the Scriptures and I take issue with it.

How so? Does not the bible say that homosexuality is an abomination? It says all kinds of nasty things about it. I thnk you can cherry pick almost anything from religious texts in order to satisfy a preconceived notion. Preachermen do it all the time.

I know you’re not going to like my response here--few people do--but the truth is that gay-folks have the exact same rights to marry as I do.

Only if you fail to account for consideration of like interests. The system is superficially fair in a playground 5 year old sense. While they have technically identical rights, such as the right to marry someone of the opposite gender, that's a meaningless sophism for the concept. During the era of antimicengation laws, blacks couldn't marry whites, but then again, whites couldn't marry blacks either. Doesn't mean the rights of people who couldn't intermarry wouldn't being stomped all over. The law fails to account for actual equality of consideration.

Are the physically identical in what they can do? Yea. But that misses the forest for the trees.

Well, I hang out with a lot of Christians and I can tell ya that none of us feel “oppressed”. And while I’ve never gotten “everything” I’ve ever wanted, I never had to be treated for Christian Persecution Syndrome. In fact, until now, I’ve never even heard of “Christian Persecution Syndrome”

Then clearly, you don't represent the majority of the problem. A lot of these Christians take for granted their values and believe if anyone challenges those enshrined practices, there must be a concerted effort to destroy the judeo-christian heritage or "foundation." They don't care to think whether or not their total domination of American culture is justified in the first place. They complain incessantly about "godlessness" and "immoral secularism" degrading society. We can't even say happy holidays without them launching a Fatwa aganst us. They've crafted their blue laws, their sodomy laws, their assumption of the "traditional definition of marriage," etc. They accuse biology teachers of brainwashing their kids by teaching evolution, and then demand Creationism and prayer be taught in schools. It's all ridiculous. And any deviation from their total cultural control is tantamount to a war.

Don't believe me? Just watch Pat Robertson one time and listen to the "Moral Majority" platform. They are all a bunch of whiny charlatans. If they don't get their way, which amounts to sending a continual stream of propaganda at me, I am trying to keep the Christian Man down. What a load of malarky. I am in one of the least trusted, most despised social minorties on the planet. They have no room to complain.

…I think we may have learned a lot about you. And probably more that you would have liked.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I am not hiding anything. I will be blunt: I don't like Christianity, or any other religon, for that matter. I think they are largely delusional worldviews, socially divisive, and dangerous encouragements of reality deviancy. I find it incredibly offensive how people go out of their way to tip-toe around it, when the religionists certainly do not do the same. Some here claim gays are "mentally ill" yet mysteriously keep their mouths clenched shut when it comes to the blatantly delusional behaviour of religous majorities.

Last edited:
This is such a poorly constructed argument, it almost pains me to have to demonstrate its invalidity. Almost.

Much is made about the American Psychiatric Association 1973 decision to de-list homosexuality as a mental illness. However less than 19% of its members voted for delisting, and even proponents concede that “Gay activism was clearly the force that propelled the APA to declassify homosexuality.(2)”

Incorrect. 58% of members voted for it's declassification. This is well doumented and starts off by proving you wrong in your initial assessment:

The decision to remove homosexuality was upheld by a 58% majority of voting APA members.

www.agpl.org/gap - LGBT Mental Health Syllabus

Homosexuality is clearly an impairment of normal behavioral functioning. Again back to medical definitions, normal is: “agreeing with the regular and established type.” Here the “regular and established type” is clearly heterosexual behavior.

Incorrect. You CLEARLY do not understand what a mental disorder is. For something to be considered a mental disorder, it MUST cause the individual some sort of distress based on the function that is being addressed. Homosexuality, in and of itself, has been shown to cause the individual NO distress.

Major national surveys of sexual behavior have consistently shown that less than three percent of the American population identify themselves as homosexual or bisexual. The National Health and Social Life Survey found that 2.8% of the male, and 1.4% of the female, population identify themselves as gay, lesbian, or bisexual (3). Therefore, based on these small percentages, homosexual behavior functioning does not agree with the regular and established behavior, therefore it is not “normal” behavior.

All irrelevant information. Homosexuality is no more "abnormal" than lefthandedness, or Judaism. Both are not "average".

Homosexuality is caused by physiological factors. Again, the medical definitions: “physiological: being in accord with or characteristic of the normal functioning of a living organism”, and “life: the property or quality that distinguishes living organisms from dead organisms and inanimate matter, manifested in functions such as metabolism, growth, reproduction, and response to stimuli”. Therefore a living being that does not behave in a manner that allows reproduction is not in accord with its normal functioning.

Another one who does not comprehend the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior. Homosexualis, if the parts work (as in heterosexualis) can certainly reproduce.

So far, you haven't gotten anything correct. But let's keep going.

Homosexuality is also caused by psychosocial factors. There is some argument that homosexuals are ‘born that way’, however research on identical twins and maternal X chromosome inheritance has failed to provide a correlation with sexual orientation (4). Claims that the hypothalamus is a determination of sexuality have been shown to be unsubstantiated (5). Perhaps some homosexuals are genetically predisposed, but there is little argument that other homosexuals choose their lifestyle. Even the APA admits that “no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors (6)” If homosexuality isn’t caused by genetics in all cases, then it must be caused by psychosocial factors in some cases.

Again, you do not understand sexuality. There is no evidence that indicates what causes sexual orientation... homosexuality OR heterosexuality. Researchers theorize that it is caused by a combination of the following factors: genetics, biology, biochemistry, and psychosocial factors. This is for BOTH homosexuality AND heterosexuality (and bisexuality as well). If you disagree, please prove how heterosexuality is caused. I will only accept the location of the genetic code as an answer. If you cannot provide this, then, once again, you are wrong.

This leads us back to the definition of mental illness. Homosexuality impairs normal behavioral functioning, the behavior impairs the individual’s ability to reproduce normally, and at least in some cases is caused by psychosocial factors. Therefore the answer to the question “Is homosexuality a mental illness?” must be found to be “yes”.

Continued lack of understanding of sexuality. Homosexuals have no impairment in reproduction. They certainly can if they choose to... just like anyone who's "parts" function. And I've already demonstrated that you do not know what a mental illness entails. So. AGAIN, you are wrong.

Last edited:
If you all want to see the history of how homosexuality was defined as a mental illness... quite incorrectly and in an invalid way, and how it came to be that it was declassified, quite justifiably, I put together a historical perspective 14 months ago. I will now repost that. I apologize that some of the links seen to be no longer working.

Dispelling the myth of Pro-Gay Politicizing of the APA
Reproduced, with permission from CaptainCourtesy

Part I

Homosexuality has been seen in a negative light for centuries. Early on, it was completely due to the interpretation of Bible passages and because of religious and moral beliefs. Genesis's description of "Sodom" coined the word "sodomy" which by the 18th century, came to describe an act that the Church saw as "unnatural' or "crimes against nature". Homosexuality, bestiality, masturbation, oral and anal sex were all included in this definition. There was zero research or evidence that any homosexual was disordered in any way. This was a moral stance, completely baseless in empirical evidence. No substance, just value judgements.

Karl Westphal, a German physician, was one of the first medical professionals to examine homosexuals, observationally. He concluded from these observations that homosexuality was a "condition "contrary sexual sensation" and claimed it was congenital. As such, he argued, it should come under psychiatric care rather then legal prosecution." He was the first, I believe, to argue that gays should be looked at as having a disorder. Note, this was based, purely on observation and his own theory and beliefs, probably based on the attitudes of the time (19th Century). No research was done. Jean-Martin Charcot, a teacher of Freud's and considered the founder of modern neurology, considered homosexuality to be a hysteric disorder, which, translated to 21st century vernacular, would be a psychiatric ailment. Charcot based this belief on the, at the time, widely accepted theory of "hereditary degeneration". This was a theory, expoused by Benedict Augustin Morel in the 19th Century. It is somewhat technical, but the essence of the theory is that any issue or disease that was deemed incurable, would be degenerative through heredity and damage future generations. Tuberculosis, hysteria, homosexuality, alcoholism, and cretinism were all issues that Morel determined were heredity based, untreatable, and those who had these issues should be placed in assylums and prevented from reproducing. Again, there was no research or evidence into any of these claims. Looking at the list of issue, we know now that this theory is ridiculous, but based on Morel's morals and the lack of knowledge about medicine and heredity at the time. Interestingly enough, the Nazi's used some of Morel's theories to justify placing Jews in concentration camps.

In the 20th Century,Richard von Krafft-Ebing and Havelock Ellis' theories of sexual inversion, the belief that "homosexuality was an inborn reversal of gender traits. Interestingly enough, early on, Krafft-Ebing saw homosexuality as a severe hereditary degeneration (see above), but as he met more homosexuals, he saw it as a normal sexual varient, and not a disorder. Ellis also felt this way.

No discussion of psychology can be conducted without discussing Sigmund Freud. Freud did not view homosexuality as an illness, but rather as the unconflicted expression of an innate instinct based on trauma. He believed that all of us had both hetero- and homosexual traits, but under normal and non-traumatic circumstances, one would act like one's anatomical sex. He also saw homosexuality as an immature, but not pathological expression of sexuality. As with all of Freud's theories, there was not empirical research done; his belief was based on theory and observation, and the tenor of the times.

Late in life, Freud wrote this to a mother, asking him to "cure" her son's homosexuality: "Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation; it cannot be classified as an illness".

Continued in Part II...

Part II

In the mid-20th Century. two theorists/researchers theories propelled homosexuality far further into the realm of pathology. And both were based on flawed beliefs/research.

Sandor Rado argued that Freud's theory of homosexuality was based on a flawed 19th Century theory: embryonic hermaphroditism (the belief that all embryos had the potential to be either male or female). He was correct about this. His error in logic was to then assume that heteosexuality was the only non-pathological alternative. He did no reasearch or provided evidence of his theory.

The Bieber study is often used to prove the pathology of homosexuals, by showing that they could be "cured". The two major outcomes of his study was to show that 27% of homosexuals, treated, were "cured" and in identifying the familial traits of the families of homosexuals. Biber's study had major methodological flaws, and has been widely criticized and debunked. Firstly, he only used subjects that were already under psychiatric care. Secondly, no long term follow-up was done to determine if the result remained. Thirdly, Bieber was unable to produce even one of his subjects he claimed to have cured. Lastly, Biebers conclusions about the familial structure of a homosexual's family have been debunked by the 1981 study of a much larger, nonpatient gay population, a study that is methodologically sound. In essence, the Bieber study, often the cornerstone of the anti-gay agenda, has been shown to be completely flawed and invalid when studying this issue.

The Bieber study was a response to the Kinsey study. Alfred Kinsey, the well-known sex researcher, created the Kinsey scale, through extensive research. Kinsey was one of the first to do evidence based research on a nonpatient population. What he found was that people varied on a scale from "exclusive heterosexual" to "exclusive homosexual" and variations in between. His research showed that at any given time throughout history, 3%-7% of the population was gay. His theories showed that homosexuality was both natural and widespread. Though this had an impact on non-pathologizing homosexuality, as Kinsey's reasearch did not, specifically address this issue, it did not confirm it. The Hooker study, however, did.

Evelyn Hooker's study was published in 1956, and throughout the '60s gained more and more recognition, as more and more studies reproduced here findings, accurately. Here is a great brief description of Hooker's studyu and findings:

Psychologist Evelyn Hooker's groundbreaking study compared the projective test results from 30 nonpatient homosexual men with those of 30 nonpatient heterosexual men. The study found that experienced psychologists, unaware of whose test results they were interpreting, could not distinguish between the two groups. This study was a serious challenge to the view that homosexuality was always associated with psychopathology.
This was the first study that examined, psychologically, nonpatients; the opposite was a serious methological flaw in past studies. Experienced psychologists saw NO difference.

When the first DSM came out in 1952, homosexuality was classified as a mental illness, not only matching with the societal attitudes of the time, and throughout the ages, but matching with the volume of research, all of which, as can be seen, above, was based on poor methodology, research based on observation only, morals, or opinions.

By 1973, the Hooker study, replicated studies showing the same results, and many other studies showing the non-pathology of homosexuality had been published. Yet, in spite of this evidence, the APA held onto it's position that homosexuality would remain a disorder, and many on committees had never seen much of the research proving this inaccurate. It was only when the gay activists, including gay psychiatrists/psychologists pressed the APA to review and examine the research, that they did. When the APA saw the volume of research that showed that homosexuality was not an illness, and examined the methological issues with the research that showed that it was, further discussions were had in order to determine whether homosexuality would be declassified or not.

When the APA voted, 58% voted to declassify homosexuality, which it was. Why only 58% if the research was so conclusive? For the same reason that we see here, at DP, that no matter how much conclusive research is presented that shows that homosexuality is not a disorder, some still hold onto that fallacious belief: bigotry, prejudice, inflexible thinking, morals over logic, and probably some other illogical reasons. Even Bieber, when presented with the evidence, and seeing his own study debunked because of methological reasons, refused to alter his belief. Why? Well, he was described as someone who would not admit he was wrong, even when proven so. Sounds like some folks around here. On this thread, even.

So, was the APA decision to declassify homosexuality as a disorder politically motivated? The politics involved was to force the APA to look at and examine, objectively, research showing that homosexuality was not a disorder, and that the research that showed it was, was flawed. As I said earlier, the concept of politicizing this issue has been misrepresented by the anti-gay side of this issue to appear as if it were something it was not. One can compare this, to some extent, to the black civil rights movement. Was that political? Yes, but not in the way a bigot would make it.

Here are all of the links and research used and cited in these posts:

www.agpl.org/gap - LGBT Mental Health Syllabus
Gays become mentally healthy | Chicago Free Press
story in depth, 1857:* Morel "Discovers" Degeneration
Homosexuality and Mental Health
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Hooker"]Evelyn Hooker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Bieber"]Irving Bieber - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Irving Bieber, 80, a Psychoanalyst Who Studied Homosexuality, Dies - New York Times
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judd_Marmor"]Judd Marmor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_inversion_(sexology)
A Science Odyssey: People and Discoveries: Jean-Martin Charcot
Being Gay Is Just as Healthy as Being Straight
The Kinsey Institute - Reference - Bibliographies - Homosexuality [Related Resources]
Gay Affirmative Therapy | American Psychiatry and Homosexuality: An Oral History

I also used quite a few other Wikipedia articles as starting points, and some other research papers that, due to copyright violations, I cannot link to.

Also, much of what I just posted was based on posts from a thread that I debated on two and a half years ago. Here is the link. Start at post #119:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/archives/11407-dutch-pedophiles-launch-political-party-4.html

Part III

In 1981, Ronald Bayer wrote a book claiming that the reason that the APA declassified homosexuality was solely because of gay activists. Bayer, not a Psychologist, but a Professor of Political Science, reported on this, but was not an active participant. As a direct refutation on Bayer's work, the book, "American Psychiatry and Homosexuality: An Oral History" was published 2007. In it 17 APA members who participated in the 1973 APA meeting, are interviewed and discuss what really happened and what the attitudes towards homosexuality was like, at the time. These are people who were actually there, not someone like Bayer, who just reported on this. Here is a description:

Product Description
Interviews and first-hand accounts of an historic decision that affected the mental health profession—and American society and culture Through the personal accounts of those who were there, American Psychiatry and Homosexuality: An Oral History examines the 1973 decision by the American Psychiatric Association (APA) to remove homosexuality from its diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (DSM). This unique book includes candid, one-on-one interviews with key mental health professionals who played a role in the APA’s decision, those who helped organize gay, lesbian, and bisexual psychiatrists after the decision, and others who have made significant contributions in this area within the mental health field.
American Psychiatry and Homosexuality presents an insider’s view of how homosexuality was removed from the DSM, the gradual organization of gay and lesbian psychiatrists within the APA, and the eventual formation of the APA-allied Association of Gay & Lesbian Psychiatrists (AGLP). The book profiles 17 individuals, both straight and gay, who made important contributions to organized psychiatry and the mental health needs of lesbian and gay patients, and illustrates the role that gay and lesbian psychiatrists would later play in the mental health field when they no longer had to hide their identities.
Individuals profiled in American Psychiatry and Homosexuality include:

Dr. John Fryer, who disguised his identity to speak before the APA’s annual meeting in 1972 on the discrimination gay psychiatrists faced in their own profession
Dr. Charles Silverstein, who saw the diagnosis of homosexuality as a means of social control
Dr. Lawrence Hartmann, who helped reform the APA and later served as its President in 1991-92
Dr. Robert J. Campbell, who helped persuade the APA’s Nomenclature Committee to hear scientific data presented by gay activists
Dr. Judd Marmor, an early psychoanalytic critic of theories that pathologized homosexuality
Dr. Robert Spitzer, who chaired the APA’s Nomenclature Committee
Dr. Frank Rundle, who helped organize the first meeting of what would become the APA Caucus of Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Psychiatrists
Dr. David Kessler, AGLP President from 1980-82
Dr. Nanette Gartrell, a pioneer of feminist issues within the APA
Dr. Stuart Nichols, President of the AGLP in 1983-84 and a founding member of the Gay and Lesbian Psychiatrists of New York (GLPNY)
Dr. Emery Hetrick, a founding member of both AGLP and GLPNY
Dr. Bertram Schaffner, who was instrumental in providing group psychotherapy for physicians with AIDS
Dr. Martha Kirkpatrick, a long-time leader in psychiatry and psychoanalysis, both as a woman and an “out” lesbian
Dr. Richard Isay, the first openly gay psychoanalyst in the American Psychoanalytic Association
Dr. Richard Pillard, best known for studying the incidence of homosexuality in families of twins
Dr. Edward Hanin, former Speaker of the APA Assembly
Dr. Ralph Roughton, the first openly gay Training and Supervising Psychoanalyst to be recognized within the American and International Psychoanalytic Associations
American Psychiatry and Homosexuality presents the personal, behind-the-scenes accounts of a major historical event in psychiatry and medicine and of a decision that has affected society and culture ever since. This is an essential resource for mental health educators, supervisors, and professionals; historians; and LGBT readers in general.
Amazon.com: American Psychiatry and Homosexuality: An Oral History: Jack Drescher, Joseph P. Merlino: Books
Some quotes and anectodes from the book:

By contrast, these first-person accounts provide corrective insider views of the process. Several speak of the depressing psychiatric attitudes prior to 1973. Lawrence Hartmann recalls, "The few analysts who wrote about gay people tended to describe them as nasty psychopaths, close to psychosis. I am not making this up!"
Judd Marmor recalls the view that "homosexuals were inherently seriously mentally disturbed, irresponsible, and completely driven by needs over which they had no control." They were supposedly "emotionally immature, deceptive, impulsive, unreliable, and incapable of truly loving."
...gay activist Ron Gold arranged for gays to meet with the APA's Committee on Nomenclature where they laid out evidence from studies supporting gay mental health. Robert Jean Campbell recalls, "They had a lot of data that I had never seen. I don't know where they got it, but I was really overwhelmed by the data."
Campbell argued that the committee should take its own look at the scientific evidence about homosexuality.
Spitzer recalls thinking, "Is there something that they (other mental disorders) all share that I can argue does not apply to homosexuality?" His conclusion was that people with other conditions "were usually not very happy about it. They had distress or...in some way the condition interfered with their overall functioning."
Spitzer continues, "If you accepted what the activists said, clearly here were homosexuals who were not distressed by being homosexual. Instead, they might be distressed by how people reacted to their being gay."
Cure-therapists, mostly psychoanalysts such as Irving Bieber and the zealously homophobic Charles Socarides (whose son is openly gay), were furious and began gathering signatures demanding a referendum to overturn the board's decision. Edward Hanin recalls, "The controversy was led by people who essentially said this was politics intruding into science. It wasn't. The APA Board of Trustees had reviewed very carefully the evidence related to homosexuality."
Judd Marmor agrees: "The fact is that the decision to remove homosexuality...was not based on gay political pressure but on scientific correctness and only after a full year of exploratory hearings and study of the issue. The so-called 'politics' surrounding the decision was subsequently instilled into the process by opponents."
Robert Jean Campbell comments, "I thought the only reason they were worried was that they wouldn't have any patients if this went through. People would no longer go to them for something that was no longer a disease."
Dr. John Fryer, M.D., a psychiatrist who in 1972 spoke at a psychiatry panel on homosexuality, appearing as “Dr. H. Anonymous,” disguising his true physical identity—and even his voice. In those days, to come out as a gay psychiatrist meant a ruined career.
I would take the word of those who were there, rather than that of a reseracher-reporter, any day.

I hope this has been helpful and cleared up a lot of misconceptions. I do not believe that those on the opposite side of this issue will change their mind because of this information. Prejudice and bigotry can rarely altered, even in the light of irrefutable evidence. Thing is, regardless of whether they believe it or not, they are wrong. And that is factual.

Original links that this information was taken from:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-s...on-how-does-affect-you-45.html#post1057928360
http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-s...on-how-does-affect-you-45.html#post1057928362
http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-s...on-how-does-affect-you-45.html#post1057928363

Had enough, yet? Oh, I've only just gotten warmed up. Now, for the thorough debunking of the myth that homosexuality is a disorder. I apologize that this post is not quite as well written, though it has many links.

As far as studies that support the fact that homosexuality is not a mental illness, doing a search, most do not have internet links, though I'm sure they could be located in various journals at libraries. But first, from the mouth of 'the father of modern psychology', Sigmund Freud himself (1935): "Homosexuality is assuredly no advantage, but it is nothing to be ashamed of, no vice, no degradation, it cannot be classified as an illness."

This site is where Freud's quote was obtained. It also gives a good history of homosexuality from a psychological standpoint, including the lack of empirical research that psychoanaylists used, Hooker's landmark study, Kinsey's research, previously unpublished military reserach documenting the lack of pathology in homosexuals, and a fairly good bibliography documenting sources for all of this.

Scroll all the way down for the bibliography.

Here is a brief description of the Hooker study.

Here is a far more complete description. Beware this is very technical.

http://www.well.com/~aquarius/hooker.htm

Unfortunately, because Ford and Beach's study is an entire book (Patterns of Sexual Behavior) there is no link for it. The ucdavis link gives a brief overview.

Here is a very brief outline of the Ford and Beach study.

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~psyc335c/ford_beach.htm

Here is a report on Kinsey's 1948 and 1953 studies that show that homosexuality is more prevelent then previously thought and not just 'practiced by a small amount of social misfits'.

The Kinsey Institute - Reference - Bibliographies - Homosexuality [Related Resources]

Berube's book Coming Out under Fire (also a 1994 movie) documenting the prevelence of gays in the military, and studies (including one by Carl Menniger) showing that homosexuals showed no pathology distinct from their heterosexual counterparts and performed military tasks just as well, cannot be linked to. Good information about it can be found in the ucdavis link.

The Hooker study has been replicated many times. Ability to replicate is one of the key components towards determining the reliability of a study. Again, the ucdavis link's bibliography provides these sources.[/QUOTE]The first link and the Hooker study are key in describing why the APA declassified homosexuality as a disorder.

Here is an excerpt from the 1973 decision:

Is Homosexuality a Mental Illness or Emotional Problem?
No. Psychologists, psychiatrists and other mental health professionals agree that homosexuality is not an illness, mental disorder or an emotional problem. Over 35 years of objective, well-designed scientific research has shown that homosexuality, in and itself,is not associated with mental disorders or emotional or social problems. Homosexuality was once thought to be a mental illness because mental health professionals and society had biased information. In the past the studies of gay, lesbian and bisexual people involved only those in therapy, thus biasing the resulting conclusions. When researchers examined data about these people who were not in therapy, the idea that homosexuality was a mental illness was quickly found to be untrue.

In 1973 the American Psychiatric Association confirmed the importance of the new, better designed research and removed homosexuality from the official manual that lists mental and emotional disorders. Two years later, the American Psychological Association passed a resolution supporting the removal. For more than 25 years, both associations have urged all mental health professionals to help dispel the stigma of mental illness that some people still associate with homosexual orientation.

Full website: Answers to Your Questions About Sexual Orientation and Homosexuality
Link to original post:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/archives/17842-why-gay-people-gay-9.html#post561127

If I find a better written version of this, I will post it.

Here is a more complete and description version of Hooker's Study:

Homosexuality's place as a mental disorder in the field of psychology was based on several factors: prejudice, theories without research, and research that was biased or poorly produced. Many psychological theories of the time saw homosexuality as a disorder, though these theories, such as psychoanalysis had no research on which to base these assertions. Much of these assertions came from religious dogma and the prejudice of the time. Over time, as research was done, most homosexuals chosen for research were those in prisons or psychiatric institutions, both populations of which are very skewed towards mental disorders. It was no surprise that those studied were found to have significant emotional disabilities. The other main population that was studied were homosexuals that were distressed about being gay. Again, since psychological distress is a main component towards diagnosing a mental disorder, this population, too, was skewed, as other variables confounded the outcome. It wasn't until Evelyn Hooker did her study, where gays who had no comorbid emotional disorder were compared to straights, also with no comorbid emotional disorder, that a true, unbiased, controlled study was done. Her study found that there was no difference in the emotional state of gays vs. straights. Her study has been reproduced many times with identical results, an essential component towards validity. Other studies have shown the same. The way that activism came into play was that gay rights activists pushed the APA to hear and review this research. That is the extent of the activism...getting the voice heard. Once the APA reviewed the research and saw it's validity, homosexuality was declassified.

For more information, feel free to peruse the following:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_and_psychology"]Homosexuality and psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evelyn_Hooker"]Evelyn Hooker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
hooker.htm

Original Post:
http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-s...gay-then-straight-again-2.html#post1057481516

So, what have we learned? Homosexuality is NOT a mental disorder, and all data that showed that it was was either completely flawed or had researcher bias... either of which made it invalid. The "19%" claim that Southern Man made is totally false. The information about HOW the APA declaissified homosexuality is presented above by those who were there. Ronald Bayer, the source most often cited in the "gay activist" position has been debunked many times and his opinion on this is not valid. Folks who argue against all of this tend to not understand basic concepts around reproduction, sexuality, and the difference between sexual orientation and sexual behavior. Oh, and they do not understand how a mental illness is defined.

And, most importantly, all the information that Southern Man presented is false... as I have proven.

I hope you all enjoyed reading this as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

I think you have read too much into the OP. I don't state that all gays suffer from mental illness, just that homosexuality is a mental illness. I suppose that some portion of gays can be mentally well.

That's exactly what you have argued. Homosexuality is a mental illness, all homosexuals are 'afflicted' with homosexuality, therefore all homosexuals are mentally ill. How could any not be mentally well when they have this mental illness? Your argument has no intellectual or ethical validity, but you could at least be consistent.

Last edited:
“While activism was important, the acknolwedgement of that motive force should not be used to construe that the actual rationale for de-listing was political.” - Technocratic

The actual rational was political and has been well documented by people like Ron Bayer in Homosexuality and American Psychiatry: The Politics of Diagnosis. Dr. Charles Socarides, wrote a book called Sexual Politics and Scientific Logic: The Issue of Homosexuality, which bolsters Bayer’s claims. Homosexuality and the Politics of Truth by Dr. Jeffrey Satinover where he discusses after much political pressure a committee of the APA met behind closed doors and voted to remove homosexuality from the DSM.

You can read more for yourself here, which is a gay-friendly site (or seems to be).

Bayer and Socarides have been debunked so many times, it's amazing that you always bring them up. Bayer wasn't there, and has been debunked in post #67 in this thread. Socarides is an avowed anti-gay activist and his bias shows clearly in everything he says.

And that “comprehensive analysis of the literature was studied” would include which "studies"?

I always post them. I did so again. You just don't want to accept them. I've said this to you before.

Agreed, so where is this documented?

Plenty of places. I've told you this before. I've documented it here. Your refusal to acknowledge this only demonstrates your bias.

Please cite documentation where it is society’s fault.

I have plenty, but it's anecdotal and does not cut the muster.

Depends on who you talk to. For some, their homosexuality was chosen and they will testify to that being the case. While I personally believe these people to be in the minority of gay-folks, the fact remains that some folks do “choose” this life-style.

Actually, it doesn't matter in the least who you speak to. It either is or it isn't. We are not arguing opinions. Fact is, there is no conclusvie evidence that shows how sexual orientation... ANY sexual orienation is formed.

No, a disorder is pretty clear. Does it cause the individual distress?

"Bailey said, "These studies contain arguably the best published data on the association between homosexuality and psychopathology, and both converge on the same unhappy conclusion: homosexual people are at substantially higher risk for some forms of emotional problems, including suicidality, major depression, and anxiety disorder, conduct disorder, and nicotine dependence...The strength of the new studies is their degree of control."

By the way, that would be the same "Bailey" I mentioned in the above twin-study!

Correlation does not equal causation. That means that what you said above fails.

...because you can't refute the OP.

I doubt I would find an inability to refute the OP hilarious. I am more laughing at the behavior of the OP.

Besides, there is no need for me to refute the OP since other posters are doing that quite well already.

Even sympathizers with the APA’s decision admit that politics, rather than science, was the chief reason for removal.
Gay gene proponent Simon LeVay concedes, “Gay activism was clearly the force that propelled the APA to declassify homosexuality.”
Also, the final tally was not impressive. The vote was 5,584 to 3,810 out of about 30,000 APA members, meaning that only about 37 percent of the APA took part in the decision.
In total, only approximately 20 percent of the organization actually said yes to removal, meaning that as much as 80 percent of the APA in 1973 might have opposed removal.
Furthermore, the decision did not fully eradicate psychology’s condemnation of this now acceptable act, as “ego-dystonic homosexuality” remained on the books until the 1980s. Yet, as Dr. David S. Holmes noted, “because of changes in social norms and strong political pressures … homosexuality was not listed as a disorder.”
In other words, not science, but politics, was the chief factor.
Even APA elites condemn that portion of the political intrusion into psychology, with the current APA President Gerald P. Koocher stating at a town hall meeting, “APA has no conflict with psychologists who help those distressed by unwanted homosexual attraction."
Homosexuality is a Mental Illness | Connect2Mason

Even if it was, it doesn't matter. There isn't any wrong or harmful about being gay unless you live around irrationally prejudiced people.

As it happens, being gay doesn't go against "natural order" any more than being left-handed goes against the right-handed "natural order." It's a phenomenon that occurs in animals without the capacity for "mental illness;" considering how normal and naturally occuring homosexual thoughts and behaviors are, I don't see how it's a mental illness.

Back
Top Bottom