• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Inventions you love from another country

Fire. Invented in what would become Israel. 300,000 to 400,000 years ago.
Felis Leo:

You're a wee bit late there. Those dates are for the common use of fire in the archeological record. However:

At least two isolated sites show earlier humans using fire before 400,000 years ago, Tattersall said. For instance, at a site in Israel, dating back about 800,000 years, archaeologists have found hearths, flint and burned wood fragments, according to a 2012 study in the journal Science. At another site, this one called Wonderwerk Cave in South Africa, scientists found evidence that humans used fire about 1 million years ago, according to a 2012 study in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. In that cave, they found remnants of burned bone and plants and what appear to be hearths.

From: https://www.livescience.com/when-did-humans-discover-fire.html

Since we're taking about invention rather than widespread use, these earlier dates seem better. There is some evidence from Kenya that this date could be pushed back to 1.6 million years ago. That's also covered in the linked article.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Och, I forgot to list the most important invention of them all ........ HAGGIS! Invented by the Romans, it made its way to England by 1390 and later to its true and rightful home - Scotland where it was perfected and solemnly worshipped. Haggis with neeps and tatties is ambrosia. There is nothing finer on Earth or under the sun. When humans eat haggis, the gods themselves cry out in envy and hunger from on high.

Cheers and be well fed.
Evilroddy.

The computer, England 1820s

Most things weren't actually invented here.

And Facebpook stole the idea from sweden: (Lunarstorm)

And google stole the idea from Canada (Archi)

And GPS was invented in Sweden but the americans stole it (It was patented in Sweden and the americans picked it up(Roger L. Easton, Ivan A. Getting, and Bradford Parkinson) and patented it in the US. . (An american court later said that was as it should be...)

And, and and

(Question should really be, what have the americans invented..... Maybe the best way to rip others of....)

Id like to thank the Mesopotamians for beer

And GPS was invented in Sweden but the americans stole it (It was patented in Sweden and the americans picked it up(Roger L. Easton, Ivan A. Getting, and Bradford Parkinson) and patented it in the US. . (An american court later said that was as it should be...)

And, and and

(Question should really be, what have the americans invented..... Maybe the best way to rip others of....)
start your own thread ?

The Germans invented the car, right? That was kinda cool. Thanks, Germany. I also like Lager Beer and Wurst.

I want to thank France for the bidet. Why wash the whole truck when you just need to hose off the mud flaps.

Last edited:
Penicillin. I suppose it credits whether you give Alexander Fleming credit or someone else who worked on developing it....

Penicillin. I suppose it credits whether you give Alexander Fleming credit or someone else who worked on developing it....

Yeah that is a pretty good one.

If you ever had a child who got a fever prior to six years of age who needed antibiotics, they are alive because of penicillin or some derivation thereof. I would wager that half the posters on this forum would not be here were it not for antibiotics.

And, and and

Nuclear weapons. Made in America. Perfected in America.

Oh, and the ceiling fan.

Yeah that is a pretty good one.

If you ever had a child who got a fever prior to six years of age who needed antibiotics, they are alive because of penicillin or some derivation thereof. I would wager that half the posters on this forum would not be here were it not for antibiotics.

My child would not be alive without antibiotics because of cutting my own foot on an itty bitty bit of glass in college while wearing sandals . . . blew up. Staph cellulitis. Looked keening to go septic - raced right out from my toe overnight to nearly my ankle.

Seriously????? You're actually saying that there are americans who think these things were invented in america???
Are you kidding? There are actual Americans who think the English language was invented here!
Never overestimate the intelligence of Americans.

But not invented.

No, it was invented here.

I do not consider theoretical imaginings invention. Leonardo DaVinci may have dreamed up of things we approximate as tanks and aeroplanes, but if he did not make a proof of concept model or working prototype, I wouldn’t call it an invention.

No, it was invented here.

I do not consider theoretical imaginings invention. Leonardo DaVinci may have dreamed up of things we approximate as tanks and aeroplanes, but if he did not make a proof of concept model or working prototype, I wouldn’t call it an invention.
Your only talking about the physical place rather than those who worked on inventing. And those that did the main contribution were not americans. If not for rutherford splitting the atom there would be no atomic bomb.

Your only talking about the physical place rather than those who worked on inventing. And those that did the main contribution were not americans. If not for rutherford splitting the atom there would be no atomic bomb.

Granted. But then, literally every human invention builds on the work or findings of a predecessor. The atomic bomb could not have been invented, tested and anywhere else but the United States in the middle of World War 2. No other nation had the material capacity to bring the human capital or resources together to work on Manhattan project at that point in history to apply practice to theory.

And, and and

I'm not sure if it was invented here, but a lot of power that the USA has comes from how much of the worlds money flows through various entities based in it.

Here is a couple that might interest americans.

The splitting of the atom and paving the way for an atomic bomb. Ernest Rutherford New zealand

The first man made flight. 31 March 1902, more than 18 months before the Wright brothers. Later, witnesses reported that Pearse flew 400 metres and soft-landed on a hedge on his Timaru farm. Richard Pearse new aealand.
In 1915 Pearse wrote in a letter to a newspaper:

The honour of inventing the aeroplane cannot be assigned wholly to one man; like most inventions, it is the product of many minds. After all, there is nothing that succeeds like success, and for this reason, pre-eminence will undoubtedly be given to the Wright Brothers, of America, as they were the first to make successful flights with a motor-driven aeroplane. At most America can only claim to have originated the aeroplane. The honour of perfecting it and placing it on its current footing belongs to France.[16]

Back
Top Bottom