• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Interest on the National Debt in 2018 Was 325 Billion Dollars

Exquisitor

Educator
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Interest on the National Debt in 2018 Was 325 Billion Dollars:

A third of a Trillion dollars, by now half a Trillion Dollars a year on interest.

But I guess you can't blame them, when you're only paying 1.625%.

Revenue is only 3.5 Trillion dollars. round it up to four, and your payments may not exceed one Trillion dollars.

We can borrow maybe another five-Trillion dollars before we're maxed out and then instead of living off an extra Trillion on the credit card you have to do with forty percent less.

This is it, 2021 we can either pay the debt or go bankrupt.

Repeal the Revenue Cut ASAP.

We can keep borrowing well past 200% of GDP. Look at Japan debt to GDP, and add in the fact that we still are the world's reserve currency..When they start selling oil in something other than dollars I will worry.

But as we borrow, the interest on that debt, even at low rates, will eventually eat up a huge portion of tax revenues. Our government will pay that debt interest, pay Social Security, pay defense, and have very little left over. That's the hole they're digging.

Our entire economy is now built on a credit card scheme. It will work until it doesn't.

Dick Cheney says debt doesn't matter. How come it now matters that a dem is in office?
Debt is the reason I chopped Trump down.

Thanks to the coronavirus I was successful.

Dems need to both raise revenue and cut spending.

Because with the Democrat, we have the chance to get it right.

We would have had it right just fine if only Trump had failed to pass his Revenue Cut.

Yes we are.

To pay back the debt in any reasonable time would take a Trillion dollar payment which is one fourth of our income.

Actually, we can put another five-trillion dollars on the Card before we've committed to bankruptcy and restructuring.

We could put half of our income on debt and be out of debt in twenty years.

Yes we are.

To pay back the debt in any reasonable time would take a Trillion dollar payment which is one fourth of our income.

Actually, we can put another five-trillion dollars on the Card before we've committed to bankruptcy and restructuring.

Why not just pass a bill that says the Fed can issue currency directly and just pay it all off? Or just deposit a coin at the FED that is worth the entire debt, pay them off, books are balanced, everyone is cool.

Yes we are.

Nope.

The debt is never going to be repaid. We'll just continue to keep rolling it over and over and over and over and.....

Your opinion of public finance is lacking in reasoning, information, and understanding. You're just making stuff up at this point.

A most stupid statement.

Nope.

The debt is never going to be repaid. We'll just continue to keep rolling it over and over and over and over and.....

Your opinion of public finance is lacking in reasoning, information, and understanding. You're just making stuff up at this point.

A most stupid statement.
Your link indicates that foreign investment is declining, and this is exactly why.

The world won't stand for it it is a crash and burn scenario, where the rich get away with all the resources.

That's why Trump was criminal and I fired him.

Taking advantage of Liberty, he had no right to create such an alternate reality, it is but a lie.

Why not just pass a bill that says the Fed can issue currency directly and just pay it all off? Or just deposit a coin at the FED that is worth the entire debt, pay them off, books are balanced, everyone is cool.
Because the Chineese and Saudis are going to want their money back.

Sure, this is what is a tax hike.

Because the Chineese and Saudis are going to want their money back.

Sure, this is what is a tax hike.

What in the world does this mean? We can give them and any other holder of a Tbill their dollars back anytime we want.

Your link indicates that foreign investment is declining, and this is exactly why.

Because domestic buyers are more than willing to purchase at these interest rates. Foreign buyers can sit back and wait until U.S. consumers purchase foreign goods in order to ensure their currencies do not rally. They have little incentive to do so at this time. The dollar has surged 2% since the beginning of the year.

The world won't stand for it it is a crash and burn scenario, where the rich get away with all the resources.

The dollar is the worlds reserve currency and represents the purchasing power of the worlds largest importer. You don't know what you're talking about.

Because domestic buyers are more than willing to purchase at these interest rates. Foreign buyers can sit back and wait until U.S. consumers purchase foreign goods in order to ensure their currencies do not rally. They have little incentive to do so at this time. The dollar has surged 2% since the beginning of the year.

The dollar is the worlds reserve currency and represents the purchasing power of the worlds largest importer. You don't know what you're talking about.
Doubtful.

Doubtful.

You don't have the ability to defend your statement...but youb clearly can hit reply.

Why is it so important to discuss things you're either not informed about or willing to learn?

You don't have the ability to defend your statement...but youb clearly can hit reply.

Why is it so important to discuss things you're either not informed about or willing to learn?
I know bull**** when I hear it.

I'm the most willing to learn person on these boards, just what are we trying to say?

You're trying to tell me that we're not Maxed Out?

All the US has to do is borrow tens of trillions more dollars from China to go to war with China.

I know bull**** when I hear it.

As your participation in this thread indicates, you don't know much of anything regarding the topic.

I'm the most willing to learn person on these boards, just what are we trying to say?

Wow........

You're trying to tell me that we're not Maxed Out?

This question has no meaning. If the government was unable to secure funding how would you know?

Some random internet person makes a claim and now refuses to back it up.... Shocking!!!!!

A third of a Trillion dollars, by now half a Trillion Dollars a year on interest.

Revenue is only 3.5 Trillion dollars. round it up to four, and your payments may not exceed one Trillion dollars.

We can borrow maybe another five-Trillion dollars before we're maxed out and then instead of living off an extra Trillion on the credit card you have to do with forty percent less.

What makes you think there is a “max out” limit? Right now the U.S. government can borrow endless amounts of money at near zero real interest rates.

Below is a chart of interest paid from 2006 to 2018. Basically, we are paying $75 billion more than we did in 2008. Big deal.

One thing to remember is that interest paid is largely to other Americans, who use that money as income.

usgs_line.php

Luckily we can print 325 billion dollars if necessary. Or just not pay it. What is China going to do? They rely on the American consumer buying their products; they are really subsidizing themselves.

Yes we are.

What makes you think that we need to ever pay back the debt?

After World War II, the U.S. had a massive debt. How did we pay it off? We didn’t. What happened was economic growth made that debt irrelevant over time — and that is what will happen with the current debt.

As your participation in this thread indicates, you don't know much of anything regarding the topic.

Wow........

This question has no meaning. If the government was unable to secure funding how would you know?

Some random internet person makes a claim and now refuses to back it up.... Shocking!!!!!
"I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat."

King Crimson, I think "Discipline."

The important thing about debt is the borrower's ability to handle the debt load. In the case of the US they are quite comfortably able to handle the debt they currently have thanks to their economic well being. It's not even that high compared to other countries.

Luckily we can print 325 billion dollars if necessary. Or just not pay it. What is China going to do? They rely on the American consumer buying their products; they are really subsidizing themselves.
OK, I'm in your ship, we go down with hyper inflation and blame it on the Democrats, when we could have had a Great Depression.

Back
Top Bottom