• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Impeachment

Care to address the fact that your fantasy about the disappearance of the GOP is stupid and ironic? "No one can stop change!" Yeah, no ****,
that's why the party will not disappear, they will change - like everything els
e.

There has been some change at the GOP, some has been for the better, but, unfortunately, some has taken some people in the GOP a little farther to the right, when they should be moving to the middle, where most Americans are, and likely will be in the future.

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll.

There has been some change at the GOP, some has been for the better, but, unfortunately, some has taken some people in the GOP a little farther to the right, when they should be moving to the middle, where most Americans are, and likely will be in the future.

"Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll.

I think I remember recently the Tea Party threatening to actually form their own third party. While I would not like to see the GOP gain any actual power, if they were smart they would let the tea baggers walk. They need to let them walk and then move towards the center more. They might lose the tea party votes, but they would pick up a lot more moderate votes. This is the only way I can see them keeping up with the Democrats in the future, if not I see the Democrats winning the presidency for at least a few presidents to come, and majorities in both houses.

On one hand though I like this because it would allow the Democrats to move more towards the left, which I would like. Our "Liberal" party is a joke compared to the major liberal parties in other countries.

Last edited:

You're claiming that, over the past few decades, the GOP has not become more liberal on social issues?

unless one of the current scandals blows up further and points directly to obama,i cant imagine impeachment.the republicans will see that not only would biden take his place,but that removing a democrat early from office will eliminate a few years years that he can keep screwing up.

just think about it,not even one year into his second term,and his approval is sinking like a lead weight,and at his current rate will be far less popular than bush jr was.all republicans have to do is the same as the democrats,let him ruin his own reputation,then run a anyone but him campaign.

Agreed. And I would have no problem with the lefty lemmings following Obama off the cliff if it didn't do so much damage to the rest of us. As it is, the gangsters he has appointed to run the federal agencies are likely to infest the entire framework with roaches and other vermin. How long will it take to restore confidence in the impartiality of the IRS? Has the FBI ever recovered from the scandals of the eighties or the assassinations at Ruby Ridge? Do you think you will ever trust the ATF after Fast & Furious? Do you have any faith at all in the impartiality of the FEC, SEC, FTC, NSA, FCC or any of the other alphabet agencies? And that's just on the domestic side -- on the international side, with Susan Rice as National Security Adviser, how fast do we alienate the rest of the world?

It's funny watching a bunch of leftist arguing the future of the GOP. What else can they do while ignoring their dictators crimes.

According to their playbook, they Deny, Deflect, and Distract. It is a proven tactic with low information voters who need to be watered twice a week.

Let's be realistic. The GOP's social platform will moderate and there will always be supporters of small-government economics. If the GOP picks up a few social liberals and maintains its economic supporters, it could increase in size. Given that healthcare is a done deal, the dems stand to lose some economic support as many people's major issue regarding that has been satisfied..

What makes you think the GOP's social platform is going to moderate?

You're claiming that, over the past few decades, the GOP has not become more liberal on social issues?

They've moved more and more to the right on social issues.

Before their platform they voted yes on included various views on abortion.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/aug/31/opinion/la-oe-0831-kinsley-abortion-gop-platform-20120831

Last edited:
It always has, their survival is dependent on it.

But what have they moderated their social positions on before?

Abortion's gone from accepting a number of views on it in their platform to a push for total ban.
Gay rights aren't getting any better.
Immigration's social issues has gone from amnesty to total deportations.
The GOP is for making concraceptives harder for everyone to get
And sex ed under Republican legislatures has effectively turned into a pack of lies so much so that abstinence only states tend to have much higher rates of teen pregnancy.

Can you name a single social issue where the GOP liberalized? I can't find one.

But what have they moderated their social positions on before?

Abortion's gone from accepting a number of views on it in their platform to a push for total ban.
Gay rights aren't getting any better.
Immigration's social issues has gone from amnesty to total deportations.
The GOP is for making concraceptives harder for everyone to get
And sex ed under Republican legislatures has effectively turned into a pack of lies so much so that abstinence only states tend to have much higher rates of teen pregnancy.

Can you name a single social issue where the GOP liberalized? I can't find one.

Look over the past few decades.

Look over the past few decades.

I did. And I can't find a single one. The GOP has moved more and more socially to the right so much so that Goldwater and Reagan wouldn't be considered real Republicans, but RINOs.

It actually seems that the GOP won a rising tide on being more socially conservative for a time and now that pendulum is swinging back, but the GOP hasn't swung with it. It's news that a Republican running for House is Gay in California arguably the most gay friendly state next to New York.

I did. And I can't find a single one. The GOP has moved more and more socially to the right so much so that Goldwater and Reagan wouldn't be considered real Republicans, but RINOs.

It actually seems that the GOP won a rising tide on being more socially conservative for a time and now that pendulum is swinging back, but the GOP hasn't swung with it. It's news that a Republican running for House is Gay in California arguably the most gay friendly state next to New York.

I'm about to call it a night. Perhaps we'll continue this discussion another day.

If you can think of one, do because I can't find a single one at all where the GOP in the past 30 years has moderated it stance.

Later.

Or, we can just say that I've fled the field!

G'night.

The problem is that no moderate will get through a GOP primary without a hard right platform.

Which will be that candidate's downfall in the general election. You just can't take the rhetoric back and say "just kidding!" When the real bullets start flying.

Uh...calling Ecofarm a Republican is like calling me an Obamabot.

Don't do it as it makes you look silly. He's not.

I'm a realist and a Dem, two choices we don't have here at DP. I look at a persons stances on the many issues. They can go R, D or throw their vote away, as with Nader in 2000 Florida. That is our current system.

The problem is that no moderate will get through a GOP primary without a hard right platform.

Which will be that candidate's downfall in the general election. You just can't take the rhetoric back and say "just kidding!" When the real bullets start flying.

Seems like it worked for Obama.

What did he say in the primaries that were leftist and that he went centrist on in the General election?

It goes the other direction. He campaigns centrist and then goes left. The second shortest distance in Washington is the distance between an Obama speech and its empirical disproof; the shortest distance is the distance between an Obama speech and the press's memory of it.

It goes the other direction. He campaigns centrist and then goes left. The second shortest distance in Washington is the distance between an Obama speech and its empirical disproof; the shortest distance is the distance between an Obama speech and the press's memory of it.

Actually he went right on many issues. Guantanimo Bay, NSA program (that ran under Bush), Drone Strikes, getting involved in the M.E. those were all things the right supported Bush on.

The only real thing Obama has gone further left on is taxes on the rich and the bailouts. Other than that he campaigned that he wanted to do Health care and got that.

Actually he went right on many issues. Guantanimo Bay, NSA program (that ran under Bush), Drone Strikes, getting involved in the M.E. those were all things the right supported Bush on.

The only real thing Obama has gone further left on is taxes on the rich and the bailouts. Other than that he campaigned that he wanted to do Health care and got that.

He also campaigned for going back to Clinton rates for people making over $250k. Which is still his stance.

As far as the stuff he went right on.....when you enter office, I am sure that you are privy to a lot more information than when you are a candidate....maybe that information changes your mind.

He also campaigned for going back to Clinton rates for people making over $250k. Which is still his stance.

As far as the stuff he went right on.....when you enter office, I am sure that you are privy to a lot more information than when you are a candidate....maybe that information changes your mind.

That's an interesting defense. It might be the case that he had reason to move right, but some of his policies are outright indefensible. Like, preventative detention without trial. I don't know what information would be so powerful to sway one's opinion on that, or why it would be privileged to the president.

Anyway, you've taken this all into hypotheticals, so we just don't know.

What about Obama would define him as a leftist?

On health care he promised that if we liked our healthcare plan, we could keep it. He promised that if we liked our doctor, we could keep the doctor. He promised that costs would go down. Lies, all lies.

Back
Top Bottom