• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm So Old I Remember...

I looked up the Rick Ashley song and I could have sworn it was a cover of an earlier song, but I see it was on his debut album. I have heard it but the artist never registered. A good leveler to a Lorne Greene tune!
What? You never have been rick rolled? lol

It was on 1979, but since this is somewhat of a humourous thread I decided to change it to that song for a laugh.

What? You never have been rick rolled? lol

It was on 1979, but since this is somewhat of a humourous thread I decided to change it to that song for a laugh.
I have heard the term ‘Rick-rolled,“ but never made the connection or knew what it was......🤷

Feel free to doubt my memory anytime I don't cite a source. I can't find a source for bias ply v. steel belted 1/4 speeds. I could be wrong. What I remember is reading about it in Car & Driver or Road and Track at the town library while cutting high school in the late 70s. Why buy a car mag when you could read one free in an air conditioned building?

But I can't cite a source so the whole thing could be in my head.

I don't know what it was built for. One thing I was told that it, the radial, steel-belted tire, did was the rubber "threw" out from the tire such that it covered more surface and had a wider tread than the bias-ply, fiberglass belted tire.

I am so old I forgot what I can remember.

I remember typewriters and waiting a week to hear you got mail.

Before xerographic machines (Xerox copier), I remember the smell, paper and ink of copies from a mimeograph machine in grade school.
I mostly did some simple code on it. A lot of work for dubious results. We owe a lot to people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who made computers usable for luddites such as myself.

I'm so pedestrian and alligator-brained, I preferred doing my stat work on Excel rather than the more advanced programs. I find the more a program does for you, the more learning it takes to use and the less you can do with it. That is, it's more limited as to doing what you want to do. Can't do innovative stuff. I prefer building my own maze.

Last edited:
Motorola flip phones...or is it too soon.

Forewarned is.........
Kind of doesn't work fully because YouTube used to be auto-play and the one I gave you mutes.
C'est la vie.

Before xerographic machines (Xerox copier), I remember the smell, paper and ink of copies from a mimeograph machine in grade school.

I'm so pedestrian and alligator-brained, I preferred doing my stat work on Excel rather than the more advanced programs. I find the more a program does for you, the more learning it takes to use and the less you can do with it. That is, it's more limited as to doing what you want to do. Can't do innovative stuff. I prefer building my own maze.
There were blueprint machines in engineering offices all across the country as late as the 80’s. Running them used to be an entry-level job.

I remember starting school and we used ink and a ink nib pen to learn cursive writing. I used to have beautifal caligraphy writing right up until they invented the biro. (ball point pen). Then my writing turned to crap.
I remember nib pens with ink cartridges.

Yeah, but with cans the only way would be to burn them til they explode.

Nope, Bowie knife any time.
You never punched holes you in a can with a Bic pen?

Opening cans and bottles with a Bowie knife will dull the edge. Next think you know you get jumped by 3 guys in sharkskin suits and what are you gonna do?

You never punched holes you in a can with a Bic pen?

Opening cans and bottles with a Bowie knife will dull the edge. Next think you know you get jumped by 3 guys in sharkskin suits and what are you gonna do?
Stab them with a Bic pen, of course.

I fell for the miniature camera.....

View attachment 67329140

There were two pharmacies that would let kids read the comic book w/o purchase. In one, the ’reading‘ area was a bit shielded and we could sneak a PLAYBOY back, once in a while.

@RetiredUSN, 66-67?

I have you born around then.....

1957 for me

I am so old that I remember a time
- without computers
- portable phones
- cars with no seat belts and air bags.
- kids mowed lawns for spending money.

"Sky King".... brought to you by Nabisco.

8-Track tapes

I remember when Michael Landon was Little Joe before becoming daddy on Little House on the Prairie.

Back
Top Bottom