• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm So Old I Remember...

Winchell Mahoney Time. Clutch Cargo. An oz of pot cost $10.00 and it was called a "lid". It wasn't measured in weight, but fingers against a baggy. A "four finger" lid was considered a full oz. The high beam/low beam on a car was a button on the left floorboard. When the TV broke you'd open the back and look at which tube wasnt lit. You'd pull it out and buy a replacement at Thrifty Mart. You could leave your house or work and drive away and nobody would be able to reach you. It was bliss. Using a Thomas Brothers guide.

Last edited:
I remember my senior year of high school I bought a Triumph Spitfire convertible brand new off the showroom floor. Pastel blue with gold racing stripes. Cost me $8k all in. Young ladies liked the car. I liked young ladies. It was a very good year.

My first new car was a 1977 Camaro I bought late in '76. A 305 V8 and auto transmission. It wasn't a hot rod. AM/FM 8 track stereo with one speaker in the dash and one in the package shelf. I did away with the factory speakers and instead had a pair of Jenson Co-axials in the package shelf. The GM radio itself wasn't half bad and it sounded decent enough set up that way.

My first new car was a 1977 Camaro I bought late in '76. A 305 V8 and auto transmission. It wasn't a hot rod. AM/FM 8 track stereo with one speaker in the dash and one in the package shelf. I did away with the factory speakers and instead had a pair of Jenson Co-axials in the package shelf. The GM radio itself wasn't half bad and it sounded decent enough set up that way.
I'm so old I remember GM radios were Delco. or AC Delco.

I'm so old I bought fancy cassette player with buttons for chrome and metal cassettes, and a pair of bracket mounted speakers, from Crazy Eddie.

Is that a Texas Instruments?
Yes.
TS-1000

Texas Instruments/Sinclair
I am sorry.
That is not the Manufacturer.
While it is a TS-1000 and Sinclair is correct, it was not Texas Instruments.
It was Timex.
It is a Timex Sinclair 1000.

I know why I made the error. If you are interested I can explain, but it is so interesting the way the brain works.
I woke up and my thoughts went immediately to the error I made.
Regardless, it has been corrected.
Again. I am sorry for the giving you incorrect info.

I'm so old I remember Woodstock. Was even there for about 2 hours. Didn't stay long it was quite crazy. But at the time I lived upstate, only an hour or so from Woodstock. So me and a few buddies went, had to park 1,000 miles away. By the time we walked there it rained, it was a mess. We didn't stay long. I wasn't much of a Hippie..

Winchell Mahoney Time. Clutch Cargo. An oz of pot cost $10.00 and it was called a "lid". It wasn't measured in weight, but fingers against a baggy. A "four finger" lid was considered a full oz. The high beam/low beam on a car was a button on the left floorboard. When the TV broke you'd open the back and look at which tube wasnt lit. You'd pull it out and buy a replacement at Thrifty Mart. You could leave your house or work and drive away and nobody would be able to reach you. It was bliss. Using a Thomas Brothers guide.

And of course from that time period. The little tool formerly known as the Alligator Clip.

IMG_1861.jpg

An alligator is a reptile. Are you sure it wasn't named after an insect?

Ah yes, it was formerly known as the alligaor clip but when discovered it was effective at hanging onto the joint it got its new name.

No longer smoke but everytime I see one I think of that particular little alternate use.

There were blueprint machines in engineering offices all across the country as late as the 80’s. Running them used to be an entry-level job.

I would use graph paper and pencil to take measurement and draw the floorplans mark various hookups, then do full detail of incl cabinets at home. I would use "blueprints" too do takeoffs onto graph paper. Rarely used design software because the installers don't get the detail like on graph paper. I even did so for a number of yrs in the 2000s.

Ah yes, it was formerly known as the alligaor clip but when discovered it was effective at hanging onto the joint it got its new name.

No longer smoke but everytime I see one I think of that particular little alternate use.

Naming it an "Alligator" clip seems most appropriate, considering the visible teeth all down the long alligator-like nose of the clip. And, if you let go from an open position just so, it snaps shut much like an alligator's mouth would.

Newspapers...like written on actual paper delivered to the house every morning by kids too young to get real jobs.

I'm so old I remember walking all over town shirtless and not being the least embarrassed.

...when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous - before AIDS and antilock brakes. ;)
Actually crazy concerned me more than AIDS. Man, the number of neurotic women I ran across back in the day was legion.

Milk delivery, in those little metal insulated boxes that were kept by the door.
Milk vending machine on the corner. Put your coins in, get a half gallon carton of cold milk.

I'm so old that I remember when the ice cream man was not a pedophile.

please think of this photo when people try to tell you how much worse the world is getting

View attachment 67329372
My elementary school for the nuke bomb drills we had to go into the hallways, face the wall and cover our head with our arms.. Of course when we got older we realized if a bomb dropped close by, hiding under desks or going into hallways wouldn't do a damn bit of good.. But hey, I guess they had to do something...

An earlier post made me think of back when we had beer vending machines in a barracks full of 18 year old soldiers.

An earlier post made me think of back when we had beer vending machines in a barracks full of 18 year old soldiers.
That’s the only place I have ever seen a vending machine with beer in it.

I'm so old I remember GM radios were Delco. or AC Delco.

I'm so old I bought fancy cassette player with buttons for chrome and metal cassettes, and a pair of bracket mounted speakers, from Crazy Eddie.
Yep. The GM radio was AC Delco.

In my original post about my '77 Camaro, I forgot the info that really dates that purchase. $4900.

That’s the only place I have ever seen a vending machine with beer in it.
I believe that's true for me as well. I'm thinking it was about '83 they were removed.

Back
Top Bottom