• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm crying right now.

Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.

Don't worry. We'll pack the courts and everything will be fine.

Elections have consequences.

I don't care if seh believes in talking snakes as long as she is an originalist

An "originalist" who couldn't answer a simple question about whether or not the Constitution gives the President the power to postpone an election. LOL.

She's full of shit is what she is.

I think everyone is getting too worked-up over this. Pretty much every judge on the Court seems to do a pretty reasonable job. Those 'Republican' justices haven't delivered in the way everyone seems to think they would.

Though I will admit every now & then we do get a bad decision. Citizen United comes foremost to mind.
It is much, much worse than you perceive, my friend. I'm a court watcher. The tilt of this Court is more extreme than any in 100 years. No exaggeration. They have made more profound changes to the fundamentals of the law than any court since the infamous "four horsemen". Robert's has just lost control of the Court. He was the swing vote. He's not anymore. There won't be one. The difference between 6-3 and 5-4 is incomprehensible.

The word does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. The question is what to make of the omission.

In any event, it's moot, since she has been officially confirmed.

This reminds me of fundamentalist interpretations of the Bible or Koran. You ignore the spirit of the document and become absurdly literal.

The entire point is the protect citizens from government yet we're supposed to believe that government has a right to control what you do in your bedroom.

This is my problem with conservative "originalists."

An "originalist" who couldn't answer a simple question about whether or not the Constitution gives the President the power to postpone an election. LOL.

There's an assumption there that is a difference between believing in talking snakes and originalism. They're both fantasies. As to your last point, no question.

Don't worry. We'll pack the courts and everything will be fine.

Elections have consequences.

No you won't.

Besides, as much as even I hate the ACA, the SCOTUS should have no problem upholding it again. People seem to forget that the penalty for the mandate isn't the only tax aspect to it. The subsidy itself is actually a tax credit that can be either paid as part of the monthly premium or the person can wait and claim it on their actual tax return as a refundable credit.

We do have to differential 'party' from 'ideology', though.

In terms of jurisprudence, every judge brings their own ideology. And it could very well be legit. Nothing's cut & dried at the SCOTUS level. i believe the Justices are generally arguing & differing in ideology & philosophy, not partisan political policy.
How naive, my friend. I love ya, but.... pay attention.

No you won't.

Besides, as much as even I hate the ACA, the SCOTUS should have no problem upholding it again. People seem to forget that the penalty for the mandate isn't the only tax aspect to it. The subsidy itself is actually a tax credit that can be either paid as part of the monthly premium or the person can wait and claim it on their actual tax return as a refundable credit.

Yes. Assuming that Democrats control Congress and the presidency, that is what is going to happen.

There is literally no reason why it wouldn't happen.

What this particular SCOTUS might or might not choose to do will have no impact on that decision.

Democrats will be in charge. Democrats will want a Supreme Court not affected by defective "Originalists."

Again, elections have consequences.

Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.

You mad?

Complete BS. Since when do you Republicans recognize 'swiftboat' was wrong, when you're the ones who did it? Kavanaugh is a radical plutocrat who lied to the Senate and is unfit, see his tantrum. trump was rightly impeached on a very well-proven crime. You are deluded about the Republicans. They were never going to wait, this is a power grab like always.

The Swift Boat vet's were spot on.

How many Swift Boat vet's did you serve with?

You have Trump Derrangement syndrome.

This is not at all a big issue.

Be rational.

I think everyone is getting too worked-up over this. Pretty much every judge on the Court seems to do a pretty reasonable job. Those 'Republican' justices haven't delivered in the way everyone seems to think they would.

Though I will admit every now & then we do get a bad decision. Citizen United comes foremost to mind.
I don't agree with this assessment when it comes to every issue. There are issues that are coming to the Court or may come back to the Court where these votes will matter, including abortion, same sex marriage, and religion in our society (specifically Christianity and even some dealing with Muslims, just in very different ways, almost opposite). The good thing is that Roberts has generally been a good Justice. However, if these come up, I think that at least one if not all of the "new" Justices may end up overturning things that were decided on because of their feelings rather than holding precedent.

History is all about ups and downs and this period in American history will be known as one of the worst downs ever. So bad it is, that it may be the end of the Republican party. Nonetheless, usually down periods are followed by up periods. The only thing to worry about is whether we will live long enough to experience the updraft.

Activist--------------No She will decide cases according to the Constitution.
You can be certain that she (sorry I forgot her name) will decide cases on her interpretation of the Constitution and in accordance with the infallible teaching of the Catholic Church on all matters of faith and morals.

Let's clarify what actually happened. The very rich spent a fortune on political activism which designed strategies that included taking over the Supreme Court, which targeted low-population states as overrepresented in the Senate, and to pander to them, adopted their 'social conservative' desires to get plutocratic judges installed. Otherwise you're right, and I've been saying for some time progressives need to recognize this is coming.
Yes how dare right leaning people nominate right leaning judges. Only the left should be allowed to nominate judges that learn towards their beliefs.

If they make healthcare too difficult we could threaten to pack the court the way FDR did. The threat actually worked. One of the judges flipped and stopped ruling against FDR's New Deal.

But I do think the Supreme Court is broken. There are far too many votes along party lines.
Yes if the Supreme Court follows the constitution and rules against the wishes of the president he should just threaten to do an end run around the SC to get his way. Sounds like a perfect plan. I see no way it could ever go wrong.

Yes, those Bernie or Bust or third party folks really showed Hillary/DMC(LOL)

Yes if the Supreme Court follows the constitution and rules against the wishes of the president he should just threaten to do an end run around the SC to get his way. Sounds like a perfect plan. I see no way it could ever go wrong.

Meh, the easy way would be to just expand Medicare to cover everyone... Is Medicare unconstitutional? Asking for my senior friends... :ROFLMAO:

You do and you have the democrats to thank. If they hadn't tried to swiftboat the last Justice and then impeach the POTUS on a BS theory, then there very well may have been the will within the GOP to wait until after the election for the vote at the very least.
That's complete bullshit.

OTOH, I wouldnt have expected a Democratic president to miss the opportunity either.

"It depends who's President" is probably her thoughts on that.

Meh, the easy way would be to just expand Medicare to cover everyone... Is Medicare unconstitutional? Asking for my senior friends... :ROFLMAO:
Meh, the easy way would be to just expand Medicare to cover everyone

Because Medicare doesn't cover EVERYTHING

Do these new added folks have to BUY$$$ supplemental Medicare plans too?

Because Medicare doesn't cover EVERYTHING

Do these new added folks have to BUY$$$ supplemental Medicare plans too?

Sure... We will just make the age of eligibility the date of conception... Is it unconstitutional?

This can be rectified IF Biden wins the White House. You can't lose hope yet. Wait until after the election before you give up.

The Democrats must add 2 seats to the Supreme Court, to rectify this naked power grab by the fascist Repug Party.

If Trump steals this election with Barrett's help.....well, I'll be crying with you. That means democracy in this country is over and it means this country is doomed.
Can you explain exactly how both the president and senate following the procedure layed out in the constitution is a power grab. Is it a power grab when a democrat appoints a left leaning judge.

It’s rather clear you don’t understand what a power grab is.

A good example of what a power grab would be what you a hoping the democrats will do if they win the election.

Funny how you are condemning the right for what you hope the left does. Does a good job of showing who is a partisan hack.

Back
Top Bottom