• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm crying right now.

Mmm, the GOP got what they wanted on Garland, Kavanaugh, impeachment and now Comey. Treating this as tit for tat seems a little silly. The better analogy would be having one’s cake and eating it too. When the real tit for tat comes it will be the GOP that deeply regrets their actions.

I don't think the GOP will regret this one bit. Democrats, however, lost hugely.

I think Justice Barrett is a fine addition to the Supreme Court and I look forward to reading her opinions.

LOL MSNBC is so perturbed they refused to even cover the swearing in preferring instead to have Mad Cow bellyache about them evil republicans and their justices.

34400284-8840595-image-a-97_1602710707950.jpg

Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.
If you cry over this hodgepodge of lunacy I have very little sympathy for you; you create your own monster and then run crying from your own creation. And you're snotty faux-superiority is repulsive.

I think everyone is getting too worked-up over this. Pretty much every judge on the Court seems to do a pretty reasonable job. Those 'Republican' justices haven't delivered in the way everyone seems to think they would.

Though I will admit every now & then we do get a bad decision. Citizen United comes foremost to mind.

If they make healthcare too difficult we could threaten to pack the court the way FDR did. The threat actually worked. One of the judges flipped and stopped ruling against FDR's New Deal.

But I do think the Supreme Court is broken. There are far too many votes along party lines.

Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.
images

If they make healthcare too difficult we could threaten to pack the court the way FDR did. The threat actually worked. One of the judges flipped and stopped ruling against FDR's New Deal.

But I do think the Supreme Court is broken. There are far too many votes along party lines
We do have to differential 'party' from 'ideology', though.

In terms of jurisprudence, every judge brings their own ideology. And it could very well be legit. Nothing's cut & dried at the SCOTUS level. i believe the Justices are generally arguing & differing in ideology & philosophy, not partisan political policy.

I think everyone is getting too worked-up over this. Pretty much every judge on the Court seems to do a pretty reasonable job. Those 'Republican' justices haven't delivered in the way everyone seems to think they would.

Though I will admit every now & then we do get a bad decision. Citizen United comes foremost to mind.

Not to derail the thread but what exactly is so bad about Citizens United. I get what it allowed but the ruling was in accordance with the constitution and previous case law. It needs a constitutional amendment and I’m sure it could garner bipartisan support if done correctly.

Not to derail the thread but what exactly is so bad about Citizens United. I get what it allowed but the ruling was in accordance with the constitution and previous case law. It needs a constitutional amendment and I’m sure it could garner bipartisan support if done correctly.
No argument from me there, Crovax. None, at all!

I think Justice Barrett is a fine addition to the Supreme Court and I look forward to reading her opinions.

Did you agree with Scalia that the constitution does not offer any privacy protection? Do you agree that the government has the right to arrest you for sex in your own home?

If you don't get out and vote while getting everyone in your circle to vote nothing will change and your disappointment will continue.
The only anecdote is to vote and get out everyone you know to vote.

Do you not recognize the system just worked as designed. Just because your ideas and beliefs lost this fight doesn't mean anyone was a bigot except apparently you when you said backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs. That's bigoted. No body stacked the court. The process was followed according law and procedures. Republicans got a President elected for 4 years, his term is not over until Jan. 20. In 2018 Republicans picked up seats in the Senate, their terms last until Jan. 20. All they are doing is their jobs. Obama said, elections have consequences, well you just learned that works both ways.

If you don't get out and vote while getting everyone in your circle to vote nothing will change and your disappointment will continue.
The only anecdote is to vote and get out everyone you know to vote.
Do you realize that the country is split nearly evenly on almost every issue these days. The approval rating by polls for Barrett was 58% favorable. These days nearly every time a decision is made related to our government about half the country is unhappy.

I may be wrong, but I think this was the fastest confirmation in modern history, if not the entire US history.
Not even close. For occasions where the President and Senate are of the same party, this is on the low side of normal. It's when they differ that it takes time.

Dude, get over it. Everyone knew she was a shoe-in from the day she was rumored to be the pick. If you want to defeat an activist right wing court, get the Democrats to pass laws that are Constitutionally sound.
Wake me up I could swear I agreed with Airyaman and that isn't normally possible.

Mmm, the GOP got what they wanted on Garland, Kavanaugh, impeachment and now Barrett. Treating this as tit for tat seems a little silly. The better analogy would be having one’s cake and eating it too. When the real tit for tat comes it will be the GOP that deeply regrets their actions.
Is what it is, elections have consequences.
👍

Definitely. She is a scholar, which is fairly unusual for the Court.

Did you agree with Scalia that the constitution does not offer any privacy protection? Do you agree that the government has the right to arrest you for sex in your own home?
The word does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. The question is what to make of the omission.

In any event, it's moot, since she has been officially confirmed.

If you are talking about abortion, it is murder pure and simple. Why shouldnt the SC be against murder???
Drop the hysterics.

Abortion cannot be murder and it never was murder before the Roe' decision. You cannot murder something that isn't alive and independent person any more then killing cancer cells or a virus is murder. A fetus is not a person. It has the potential to be a person but until it is living separately from the mothers body is is not legally a person with rights.

So cause she is an originalist?

I don't care if seh believes in talking snakes as long as she is an originalist

Be of good cheer! Maybe she'll act like a reasonable justice, like they mostly do. Of course voting still matters. Chin up!

Cause I want Justices who just so what the the third brauch is supposed to do...Legislation id passend by the legislative Not The Judiciary
..I van go on if ya want

This can be rectified IF Biden wins the White House. You can't lose hope yet. Wait until after the election before you give up.

The Democrats must add 2 seats to the Supreme Court, to rectify this naked power grab by the fascist Repug Party.

If Trump steals this election with Barrett's help.....well, I'll be crying with you. That means democracy in this country is over and it means this country is doomed.

LOL MSNBC is so perturbed they refused to even cover the swearing in preferring instead to have Mad Cow bellyache about them evil republicans and their justices.

Well, the Repug Party is a bunch of fascist mother ****ers, after all. So MSNBC has a point.

Back
Top Bottom