• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I'm crying right now.

AtlantaAdonis

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.

Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.

It's a big setback but only Dems with full power can do something about it, e.g. stack the court or impeach existing SCOTUSes.

Of course there is a lot more to vote on here aside from just Supreme Court.

That's a very bigoted post. Are you sure you want to be so abusive and intolerant?

Well you can begin by stopping to think you are in control and therefore had the power to allow or disallow something. Elections have consequences. The dems don't control the government.

If you are talking about abortion, it is murder pure and simple. Why shouldnt the SC be against murder???

Well you can begin by stopping to think you are in control and therefore had the power to allow or disallow something. Elections have consequences. The dems don't control the government.
whoopey, we now have an evangelizing Catholic heretic. As activist judge.

whoopey, we now have an evangelizing Catholic heretic. As activist judge.
You do and you have the democrats to thank. If they hadn't tried to swiftboat the last Justice and then impeach the POTUS on a BS theory, then there very well may have been the will within the GOP to wait until after the election for the vote at the very least.

You do and you have the democrats to thank. If they hadn't tried to swiftboat the last Justice and then impeach the POTUS on a BS theory, then there very well may have been the will within the GOP to wait until after the election for the vote at the very least.
Confirming Justice Amy is kind of Karma for the above actions of the democrats.

It will get fixed next year, so hang in there, things will improve.

I think everyone is getting too worked-up over this. Pretty much every judge on the Court seems to do a pretty reasonable job. Those 'Republican' justices haven't delivered in the way everyone seems to think they would.

Though I will admit every now & then we do get a bad decision. Citizen United comes foremost to mind.

Confirming Justice Amy is kind of Karma for the above actions of the democrats.

I may be wrong, but I think this was the fastest confirmation in modern history, if not the entire US history.

I'm laughing watching the same idiot leftists that shit themselves and screamed that Trumps election was the end of the world that are now shrieking that THIS is the end of the world.

I think this was the most beautiful birthday present for Hillary. :ROFLMAO:

I think everyone is getting too worked-up over this. Pretty much every judge on the Court seems to do a pretty reasonable job. Those 'Republican' justices haven't delivered in the way everyone seems to think they would.

Though I will admit every now & then we do get a bad decision. Citizen United comes foremost to mind.
I think so as well. The other take-away is that if the SCOTUS gets out of step with popular opinion about high profile topics, calls for reform do start to happen which has had the historical effect of reigning the court back in as well. The population is becoming more liberal with demographic changes, so the court will have to change with it (and the justices are smart enough to know this)

Is what it is, elections have consequences.

Let's clarify what actually happened. The very rich spent a fortune on political activism which designed strategies that included taking over the Supreme Court, which targeted low-population states as overrepresented in the Senate, and to pander to them, adopted their 'social conservative' desires to get plutocratic judges installed. Otherwise you're right, and I've been saying for some time progressives need to recognize this is coming.

Do not give up. The most important election of our lifetime is a week from tomorrow. People are early voting in record numbers.

We will NOT capitulate to the tyranny of the minority.

Yes, they have. There are hundreds of these 5-4 rulings always with the same 5-4, for decades, that have caused huge harm. You may not be paying attention. Remember, for just one example, the Bush presidency, and how that election was stolen with a 5-4 ruling?

I think so as well. The other take-away is that if the SCOTUS gets out of step with popular opinion about high profile topics, calls for reform do start to happen which has had the historical effect of reigning the court back in as well. The population is becoming more liberal with demographic changes, so the court will have to change with it (and the justices are smart enough to know this)
Good point!

To remember: 'Packing' the Court is not guaranteed to get the desired results. In fact, if I were a potential nominee, I'd consider rejecting the consideration.

Just lost it watching the senate proceedings tonight. This is the beginning of the end of separation of church and state and health care for millions. We've basically allowed a bunch of backward red states full of Bubbas and Jim Bobs overpower the Senate and stack the highest court with bigoted ideologues. I'm not even sure showing up to the polls to vote by now will even do anything. Just completely stunned and heart-broken. I don't have any answers.n
The courts won't strike down Constitutional laws just because they don't like them. Go vote, on Jan 22, these things can happen.
-Letters asking for readmittance to the Paris Climate Accords, Iran Nuclear Deal, and Trans-Pacific Partnership.
-Process to add D.C. as the 51st state begin. These Americans have been without representation for too long.
-Process to add about 220 positions to the Federal bench (and fill them). The bench has about 850 judges now, the last time it was changed was in 1990, when the US population was about 70% of what it is now.
-Kill the Senate filibuster.
-It's also possible that state legislatures may change as the result of your vote. If that happens, D's will benefit from friendlier reapportionment, and the possibility of additional states passing the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (it's a thing, check it out).

So don't cry. Vote, text somebodies grandkid and have them take Grandma and Grandpa to early voting. Blue wave is coming. Believe it!

Dude, get over it. Everyone knew she was a shoe-in from the day she was rumored to be the pick.

If you want to defeat an activist right wing court, get the Democrats to pass laws that are Constitutionally sound.

Complete BS. Since when do you Republicans recognize 'swiftboat' was wrong, when you're the ones who did it? Kavanaugh is a radical plutocrat who lied to the Senate and is unfit, see his tantrum. trump was rightly impeached on a very well-proven crime. You are deluded about the Republicans. They were never going to wait, this is a power grab like always.

Mmm, the GOP got what they wanted on Garland, Kavanaugh, impeachment and now Barrett. Treating this as tit for tat seems a little silly. The better analogy would be having one’s cake and eating it too. When the real tit for tat comes it will be the GOP that deeply regrets their actions.

Back
Top Bottom