• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If you have young sons start training them to be fathers way earlier. You're not gonna stop sex and many will be fathers from 15-18yo.

Oddly enough I managed to avoid that fate. Possibly because I actually RAISED my son instead of just letting him run loose with no guidance.
I'm also helping raise two other teenage boys who have so far managed to avoid fatherhood.

Imagine that. What an oddity, eh?

(/irony)

When my boy was about to enter H.S., I sat down with him and made sure he understood what he would be up against in terms of sex, and the choices and ramifications he faced.

Essentially, I expounded upon the old adage,

"Any boy over the age of 13 can make a baby, but it takes a man to raise a son!"

BTW - He liked the adage!

Abstinence is the only tried and true method. I talked with both of my kids and explained things. Namely, I did not want them to have sex as a teenager but I am a realist so I tried to convey that deciding to have sex is sort of like a contract - if you choose to engage in, then you are agreeing to accept any potential lifelong consequences of that decision.

I was married to my husband for a few years and on the pill, never missing a dose, when I got pregnant. Should we have avoided sex altogether?

Sarah Palin taught her kids the abstinence method too. Look how well that worked out.

My sons all likely have had sex at this point in their lives. Their choices. I never asked them about it as it was none of my business, just like it was none of my parents' business what I did. I got sex ed in school and knew what could happen.

And while you're at it go ahead and get a second job so that you can be a grandparent in your thirties and pay child support.

Man, you guys really are unhinged sometimes. You really do think that abortion is the only way to avoid having children, and that people have no more self-control than rutting donkeys.

Matt Gaetz was convicted of being a pedophile.

I must read more news.

He's been credibly accused of having sexually assaulting a minor. Kind of like the sexual assaults that fellow GOP darling Jim Jordan ignored. Or the numerous that Roy Moore was accused of while Republicans lined up to support his Senate bid.

It's never been about morality. It's about maintaining a white, Christian patriarchy by any means necessary.

When my boy was about to enter H.S., I sat down with him and made sure he understood what he would be up against in terms of sex, and the choices and ramifications he faced.

Essentially, I expounded upon the old adage,

"Any boy over the age of 13 can make a baby, but it takes a man to raise a son!"

BTW - He liked the adage!
I wish it was entering high school. I have had to do that with my 2 middle schoolers.

I was married to my husband for a few years and on the pill, never missing a dose, when I got pregnant. Should we have avoided sex altogether?

If you were fervent about avoiding pregnancy, yes. The pill and all other forms of birth control have known failure rates.

I'd counsel my sons the same way.

Sarah Palin taught her kids the abstinence method too. Look how well that worked out.

My sons all likely have had sex at this point in their lives. Their choices. I never asked them about it as it was none of my business, just like it was none of my parents' business what I did. I got sex ed in school and knew what could happen.

Same here.

He's been credibly accused of having sexually assaulting a minor. Kind of like the sexual assaults that fellow GOP darling Jim Jordan ignored. Or the numerous that Roy Moore was accused of while Republicans lined up to support his Senate bid.

It's never been about morality. It's about maintaining a white, Christian patriarchy by any means necessary.

Credibly accused ? Now that is funny.

Clearly you have an obsession.

Maybe you take your post to the conspiracy forum.

Man, you guys really are unhinged sometimes. You really do think that abortion is the only way to avoid having children, and that people have no more self-control than rutting donkeys.

Conservatives are seeking to strip away rights from women that have existed for nearly half a century, but WE are the unhinged ones?

I will only hope that a female member of your family doesn't end up pregnant against her wishes, whether it be from rape, a simple mistake, or the reality of a pregnancy that is no longer viable for a variety of medical reasons.

Well, if you were married to your husband, getting pregnant - timing aside - should have been a joyous occasion. Talking about abstinence and practicing it are two different things. As far as everything else in your post, your decision to abdicate your parental influence is your decision and I'm sorry you had to rely on school for sex ed.

Sometimes ?

Roe has basically broken most of the spokes.

The bold: And you accepted that responsibility?
I disagree whole-heartedly about what is and what isn't your business. Everything my child does until they are of legal age, IS my business.
I don't see abortion being banned, so your situation would either be: a baby is born or you got an abortion, much akin to what we have now.

Conservatives are seeking to strip away rights from women that have existed for nearly half a century, but WE are the unhinged ones?

I will only hope that a female member of your family doesn't end up pregnant against her wishes, whether it be from rape, a simple mistake, or the reality of a pregnancy that is no longer viable for a variety of medical reasons.

What rights have you lost ?

You wishing ill on a family member ? Aren't you a gem.

BTW: Abortion will be legal in most of the country.

Get over it.

Credibly accused ? Now that is funny.

Clearly you have an obsession.

Maybe you take your post to the conspiracy forum.

Maybe take your posts to the "Irrelevant Conservative Boomers Who Believe Their Opinion On Reproductive Rights Is Welcome" forum. I think we might need to set one of those up as there are an awful lot of you folks around.

Abstinence is the only tried and true method. I talked with both of my kids and explained things. Namely, I did not want them to have sex as a teenager but I am a realist so I tried to convey that deciding to have sex is sort of like a contract - if you choose to engage in, then you are agreeing to accept any potential lifelong consequences of that decision.

"Be good. If you can't be good, at least be careful."

What is the equation for not getting pregnant?
don't be female is the only foolproof one that comes to my mind

it's not like young fertile women are succeptible to those, even male family and "friends", who would prey on their vulnerabilities [/s]

Maybe take your posts to the "Irrelevant Conservative Boomers Who Believe Their Opinion On Reproductive Rights Is Welcome" forum. I think we might need to set one of those up as there are an awful lot of you folks around.

When you set up the forum let me know.

Right now, we have the left wing gone baboon forum.

You wishing ill on a family member ? Aren't you a gem.

BTW: Abortion will be legal in most of the country.

Get over it.

When fellow citizens lose rights because of the actions of an increasingly radicalized minority of conservative Americans, that hurts everyone who has a shred of empathy and basic human decency.

I don't wish ill on your family. I wish for your eyes to be opened as to the cost of the policies you are supporting, because apparently some of you don't ever seem to care about anything unless it personally affects you.

Maybe you and the rest of the crazies on the right are the folks who need to "Get over it" instead of cheering women's rights being rolled back a half century and then wondering why people are horrified?

How long was Plessy around, incidentally?

You must have a low opinion of women, if you think their default instinct is to destroy their own son or daughter.

What's so silly and shortsighted about this entire discussion is that we know young men are idiots.

My question is what is causing young girls to allow them to be so ? What are we failing to teach them about themselves that causes them to descend into the same abyss the teenage male mind lives.

Good grief. How about just teach your kids to behave responsibly? The equation for getting pregnant is not complicated.
A friend of mine, recently widowed, had lengthy talks with her son about sex and consequences. Both she and her late husband were good parents. The son fathered a child with a condom in his back pocket.

When fellow citizens lose rights because of the actions of an increasingly radicalized minority of conservative Americans, that hurts everyone who has a shred of empathy and basic human decency.

I don't wish ill on your family. I wish for your eyes to be opened as to the cost of the policies you are supporting, because apparently some of you don't ever seem to care about anything unless it personally affects you.

Maybe you and the rest of the crazies on the right are the folks who need to "Get over it" instead of cheering women's rights being rolled back a half century and then wondering why people are horrified?

The rest is just gibberish.

A friend of mine, recently widowed, had lengthy talks with her son about sex and consequences. Both she and her late husband were good parents. The son fathered a child with a condom in his back pocket.

You can't fix stupid.

If you were fervent about avoiding pregnancy, yes. The pill and all other forms of birth control have known failure rates.

I'd counsel my sons the same way.

Same here.

Except the purpose of marital relations is not always to procreate. And married couples should not be expected to give up their marital relations because some people object to abortion, if in fact their relations result in an unwanted pregnancy. That's between them. Nobody else.

What's so silly and shortsighted about this entire discussion is that we know young men are idiots.

My question is what is causing young girls to allow them to be so ? What are we failing to teach them about themselves that causes them to descend into the same abyss the teenage male mind lives.

Modern feminism is my guess, which promotes the worst behavior in men as something women should aspire to.

Back
Top Bottom