• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If we legalized pot just think of all the great Prog Rock.

Vocals are a matter of opinion but musicianship is not. Listen to Rush's 2112 or Yes Close to the Edge and tell me motown can match that kind of musicianship. It can't because it is so vocally oriented while prog is musician oriented.

please. Marvin Gaye? Temptations, anyone? you prefer a genre. that is not an indictment of other genres that you don't prefer.

please. Marvin Gaye? Temptations, anyone? you prefer a genre. that is not an indictment of other genres that you don't prefer.

All those people could do was sing and they did that well but music is more than vocals and a 4/4 beat my friend. Prog roch pushes the limit with super complex music not just a bunch of pretty boys amnd girls showing off their dance moves and singing love songs. Now I admit I love Motown too and Marvin Gaye did a great protest album but to say it as good as Yes musically with all of Yes's classical training is just plain wrong. I love the blues more than soul but even the blues can't match progressive musicianship. You would have to go into Jazz or classical to match or best prog rock.

All those people could do was sing and they did that well but music is more than vocals and a 4/4 beat my friend. Prog roch pushes the limit with super complex music not just a bunch of pretty boys amnd girls showing off their dance moves and singing love songs. Now I admit I love Motown too and Marvin Gaye did a great protest album but to say it as good as Yes musically with all of Yes's classical training is just plain wrong. I love the blues more than soul but even the blues can't match progressive musicianship. You would have to go into Jazz or classical to match or best prog rock.

yeah, yeah, and every guitar player sucks because one guitar player can do the ultimate math rock shred. i've heard this argument so many times, and it's still wrong.

give me something that makes me feel. if prog rock does that for you, then awesome. however, it doesn't mean that everything else is inferior.

yeah, yeah, and every guitar player sucks because one guitar player can do the ultimate math rock shred. i've heard this argument so many times, and it's still wrong.

give me something that makes me feel. if prog rock does that for you, then awesome. however, it doesn't mean that everything else is inferior.

Feeling is not musicianship my friend. Yes it has to sound good I agree but the fact remains Prog is the best rock music from the standpoint of musicianship and guys like Peter Gabreal,Ian Anderson,David Gilmore and Greg Lake are great singers to go along with the top notch musicianship. Too many thing other than musicianship in pop or soul music. Too much dancing and hand clapping. Just try to dance to Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. Good luck. You would need pot.

If we are going to compare musical talent classical would be at the top of the heap with jazz right behind it.

At the very bottom just under "The wheels on the bus go round and round" we have Rap.

If we are going to compare musical talent classical would be at the top of the heap with jazz right behind it.

At the very bottom just under "The wheels on the bus go round and round" we have Rap.

I agree. Prog rock was just trying to raise the bar. Now all of it was great but you can not deny the Talent of Yes,King Crimson,ELP,Early Genesis or Pink Floyd. Thier abitition and talent took rock music to new hieghts and pot and LSD was the fuel along with their great talent.

Rap is low brow music in the first degree.

I agree. Prog rock was just trying to raise the bar. Now all of it was great but you can not deny the Talent of Yes,King Crimson,ELP,Early Genesis or Pink Floyd. Thier abitition and talent took rock music to new hieghts and pot and LSD was the fuel along with their great talent.

It is sad to see it go, the new rock coming out these days is horrible.

Yes I did. Art and music benifit from pot and that is the bottom line. Just look at J.R. Tolkins The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. In my opinion the best novels ever written in the English tounge and they where never popular until the counter culture embraced them in the 60's. Pot does benifit and help art of that there is no doubt.

That only makes sense if Tolkien was stoned.

Yes I did. Art and music benifit from pot and that is the bottom line. Just look at J.R. Tolkins The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. In my opinion the best novels ever written in the English tounge and they where never popular until the counter culture embraced them in the 60's. Pot does benifit and help art of that there is no doubt.

Ugh. While Tolkein had a great imagination and undeniably created the entire paradigm of fantasy that we know today, his writing was terrible. It was utterly laborious and had zero flow, and that's if you were smart enough to skip all the stupid songs and poems. I swear he must have been paid by the word.

so you are telling us that legalizing pot will make for better music, giving the 60's as an example of pot influencing music... but never pausing to think about the fact that pot was illegal in the 60's too.... and never giving pause to the fact that musicians who want to smoke pot today already smoke pot.

I'm all aboard the legalization train.. but an ill thought out rationale is still an ill thought out rationale.

Ugh. While Tolkein had a great imagination and undeniably created the entire paradigm of fantasy that we know today, his writing was terrible. It was utterly laborious and had zero flow, and that's if you were smart enough to skip all the stupid songs and poems. I swear he must have been paid by the word.

not to stray too far off topic but as a Tolkien geek I simply must defend LoTR. Tolkien was a linguist and a historian and wrote all of the Middle Earth books between other duties as a professor and a father. His attention to detail and craft in creating his legendarium is astounding, and if you skip over the poems and songs you're missing key clues that give great depth to understanding his world.

not to stray too far off topic but as a Tolkien geek I simply must defend LoTR. Tolkien was a linguist and a historian and wrote all of the Middle Earth books between other duties as a professor and a father. His attention to detail and craft in creating his legendarium is astounding, and if you skip over the poems and songs you're missing key clues that give great depth to understanding his world.

I'm not attacking his imagination or his attention to detail. I take issue with his writing style which I personally found near insufferable.

Dan Simmons is another [sci-fi] author with an extraordinary imagination and scope, whom I love and read regularly, and yet who is again an example of one whose writing style lacks fluidity and is difficult to trudge through.

Fun fact (for the .00000001% that cares): I actually considered writing as a possible career alternative back in college, but had to admit that my cluttered and stuttering writing style made that avenue impractical. I'm glad that Tolkein and Simmons didn't share my doubts, but glance through Henry David Thoreau's "On Civil Disobedience" (at the highest) or David Wong's "John Dies at the End" (at the lowest) and you'll know the true joy of writing to its fullest.

It is sad to see it go, the new rock coming out these days is horrible.

American rock is what sucks my friend. Sweden,Denmark,France,Italy and Japan play great prog rock and metal. It is true Americans still play good Blues rock and some good metal but not much.

That only makes sense if Tolkien was stoned.

He was not stoned. He was a Catholic and drank a little wine. It was the drug oriented counterculture that drove his works into everyday culture.

so you are telling us that legalizing pot will make for better music, giving the 60's as an example of pot influencing music... but never pausing to think about the fact that pot was illegal in the 60's too.... and never giving pause to the fact that musicians who want to smoke pot today already smoke pot.

I'm all aboard the legalization train.. but an ill thought out rationale is still an ill thought out rationale.

Just listen to the differance between The Beatles Hard Days Night which they where drunks and then to Help,Rubber Soul and Revolver when they where smoking pot. Then listen to The Magicial Mystery Tour,Sgt Peppers and the White album while they where taking LSD and try to tell me drugs did not improve their music. The same thing could be said of The Moody Blues when Denny Lane left and they started doing drugs and the change in their music.

I disagree. Tolkien was one of the best ever just like Yes Close to the Edge or Genesis Selling England by the Pound where the best rock music ever.

Vocals are a matter of opinion but musicianship is not. Listen to Rush's 2112 or Yes Close to the Edge and tell me motown can match that kind of musicianship. It can't because it is so vocally oriented while prog is musician oriented.

was Richard Thompson a druggie? arguably the best guitarist around. Adrian Belew pretty much defines progressive rock these days

was Richard Thompson a druggie? arguably the best guitarist around. Adrian Belew pretty much defines progressive rock these days

I don't know if Adrian smokes pot my friend but Robert Fripp did for a long time. King Crimson is one of the greatest bands of all time. They have played everything from symphonic prog to jazz like freeform. If you like prog rock check out the Swedish prog scene. Check out Ayreon. His stuff is mind blowing. Prog metal is what is selling right now.

It was just my excuse for debating music.

Forgive my ignorance but who is Richard Thompson? Check out Michele Romeo from Symphony X and John Putruchi from Dream Theater both pot smokers.

Those people where all about singing not musicianship.

Those people where all about singing not musicianship.

Singing is musicianship.

I'm already aware of your personal preference. however, as I already stated, that's not an indictment of music that you don't prefer.

My favorite music is Prog Rock which came from Psychedelic music which was strongly influenced my pot and LSD. In countries like Denmark which has liberal pot laws there is a great prog rock scene with bands like Kyak or Ayreon. We need that here. I am so sick and tired of the rap and CW **** that has taken over the US music market and I think legalized pot would cure that mess for sure.

It only seems like great music because you're whacked out of your skull when listening to it....

Actually I'm a big fan of pre 80s progressive rock.

But... maybe you just haven't listened to the right rap yet...

Think of this as progressive rap... give it 90 seconds...

Back
Top Bottom