• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If we legalized pot just think of all the great Prog Rock.

Forgive my ignorance but who is Richard Thompson? Check out Michele Romeo from Symphony X and John Putruchi from Dream Theater both pot smokers.

You have never heard of Richard Thompson? Holy Crap. He's a muslim now but he was the driving force behind Fairport Convention. His record, Shoot out the lights with his former wife Linda was rated one of the top 10 for the entire 1980s-right behind classics such as London Calling, Purple Rain, Remain in Light and Graceland. He is constantly ranked one of the 20 greatest rock guitarists of all time

But Rap is the worst music in the history of mankind my friend. I agree rappers have done alot to help the cause and I thank them for that. Too bad their music is ****.

What is it with White Liberals and saying this ****.

What is it with White Liberals and saying this ****.

I think just about anyone with a brain says rap is crap. and that includes rap by white boys-it often sucks worse

I think just about anyone with a brain says rap is crap.

We're from two different times. I'm sure our opinions on music are going to differ a lot. So rather than disagree with you for this entire thread I think it's better to just agree to disagree

rap by white boys-it often sucks

No disagreement here

We're from two different times. I'm sure our opinions on music are going to differ a lot. So rather than disagree with you for this entire thread I think it's better to just agree to disagree

No disagreement here

I don't think rap really is music, its a poor imitation of some of the stuff Patti Smith did when those rappers were still in diapers

I don't think rap really is music, its a poor imitation of some of the stuff Patti Smith did when those rappers were still in diapers

I think its safe to say you know nothing about hip hop lol

I think its safe to say you know nothing about hip hop lol

i think its safe to say people tend to make fools of themselves when they think they know what I know or don't know

hip hop-SUCKS

i think its safe to say people tend to make fools of themselves when they think they know what I know or don't know

hip hop-SUCKS

Pray tell, what do you think you know about hip-hop other than that it"-SUCKS"?

Pray tell, what do you think you know about hip-hop other than that it"-SUCKS"?

I know enough to know that it is-in musical evolution, when compared to say the stuff Jimmy Page or Carlos Santana or Robert Plant does, is like comparing an amoeba to a chess master

I know enough to know that it is-in musical evolution, when compared to say the stuff Jimmy Page or Carlos Santana or Robert Plant does, is like comparing an amoeba to a chess master

I'm pretty sure and apples to oranges comparison is more apt.

I feel like this is argument is derailing this thread at this point so I'm just going to say "**** yeah weed" and get out

I'm pretty sure and apples to oranges comparison is more apt.

I feel like this is argument is derailing this thread at this point so I'm just going to say "**** yeah weed" and get out

Cool dude, I think weed ought to be legal but I don't have much use for it. A brain is a terrible thing to waste. And yeah I smoked in the past-a long time ago. But that was about it. Abbie Hoffman was right about there being only one kind of dope worth shooting

James has a point, I can think of no artist that made excellent albums in their drug days that has put out anything worth a squirt of piss after going clean.

Well, maybe that has more to do with them getting old and not having anything relevant to say as far as kids these days are concerned. Just saying.

Weed is fun, but when it comes to art, it's a crutch for people who don't trust their own imaginations. Indeed, all drugs are. There are more than enough imaginative artists who are stone sober to prove that drugs are unnecessary to create great art.

It seems to me that, with very few notable exceptions here and there, druggies of all sorts tend to produce “music” that is enjoyable to others who are on the same drugs as the musicians; but which all uniformly sound like crap (not to be confused with rap, though there's really not much of a distinction there) to anyone who is sober.

Here you go again. Come on dude, enough is enough. Make a thread about something other then pot, PLEASE.

He's not capable of it. If you read any thread he has ever created, even if it superficially appears to be about anything else, ultimately, it turns out to be about pot. It's the only thing that has any meaning to him.

James has a point, I can think of no artist that made excellent albums in their drug days that has put out anything worth a squirt of piss after going clean.

You should have stopped there. With very few notable exceptions, I can't think of any druggie musician that ever made anything that was worth listening to with a sober ear.

Have you ever seen a TV show called Elementary? Your remark reminds me of scene from an episode of that show.

The premise of the show overall is to reimagine Sherlock Holmes as a recovering drug addict living in New York City.

In one episode, his former drug dealer, seeking help from him, tries to get him to go back to using cocaine, claiming that he was sharper of mind when he was on that drug, and suggesting that in going clean, he had lost his edge.

Not to cite that show of proof of anything, but your remark about former druggie musicians failing to produce good music after they went clean reminded me of that episode, and the point of view expressed by the drug dealer.

not to stray too far off topic but as a Tolkien geek I simply must defend LoTR. Tolkien was a linguist and a historian and wrote all of the Middle Earth books between other duties as a professor and a father. His attention to detail and craft in creating his legendarium is astounding, and if you skip over the poems and songs you're missing key clues that give great depth to understanding his world.

It's probably fair to say that one needs to be sober in order to properly read Tolkien. There's not much point in listening to a pair of druggies debating the value of his work, much less trying to participate in that argument.

Ugh. While Tolkein had a great imagination and undeniably created the entire paradigm of fantasy that we know today, his writing was terrible. It was utterly laborious and had zero flow, and that's if you were smart enough to skip all the stupid songs and poems. I swear he must have been paid by the word.

I'm not attacking his imagination or his attention to detail. I take issue with his writing style which I personally found near insufferable.

Try reading it when you're sober.

I think just about anyone with a brain says rap is crap. and that includes rap by white boys-it often sucks worse

As a matter of objective fact, rap is not music. It may qualify as poetry, but not music. This has nothing to do with whether anyone likes it or dislikes it. There are characteristics that define a sound as music, and rap lacks these characteristics.

Rap and Music are a contradiction of terms.
Really?

Didn't know people still go around saying nonsense like that. Shame.

But Rap is the worst music in the history of mankind my friend. I agree rappers have done alot to help the cause and I thank them for that. Too bad their music is ****.
Rap is fantastic.

Cool dude, I think weed ought to be legal but I don't have much use for it. A brain is a terrible thing to waste

You may not realize it, but there was a bit of a contradiction in that statement. There is over a decade's worth of research that strongly indicates that cannabinoids actually prevent and possibly even reverse degenerative brain diseases such as Alzheimer's. Usage of weed is also known to be linked to having abnormaly high levels of BDNF which actively protects existing brain cells and helps create new ones.

One could make an argument that you are wasting your brain by not protecting it with weed, though I realize one might be pushing it a bit with such an argument ;)

My favorite music is Prog Rock which came from Psychedelic music which was strongly influenced my pot and LSD. In countries like Denmark which has liberal pot laws there is a great prog rock scene with bands like Kyak or Ayreon. We need that here. I am so sick and tired of the rap and CW **** that has taken over the US music market and I think legalized pot would cure that mess for sure.

This is by far the dumbest argument I've heard for legalizing pot. You know rappers smoke pot too, right? Legalizing the **** isn't going to bring progressive rock back.

This is by far the dumbest argument I've heard for legalizing pot. You know rappers smoke pot too, right? Legalizing the **** isn't going to bring progressive rock back.

Good point. The best rappers are all into marijuana, just look at wu tang clan. But if weed were legal; just think of all the great new rap we'd have!

Stop complaining. I write about many other things my friend and there is nothing wrong with writing about pot. Many people love to debate it pro or con so what is your major malfuntion trooper. Until pot is legal everywhere and the injustice ends I will keep talking about it.

... And if/when it becomes legal everywhere people like me will still not allow anyone we have influence over to even touch that crap.

If you need that **** to make your art, I don't want to have anything to do with it. It's just that simple. Doesn't matter whether it's music, painting, etc....

Good point. But if weed were legal; just think of all the great new rap we'd have!

Yeah right. Those guys get whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as they can cut a new record on time. Pot is pretty much legal already, because no cop is going to waste his time on it these days. Unless you have pounds of the **** in your trunk, they don't care.

Yeah right. Those guys get whatever they want, whenever they want, as long as they can cut a new record on time. Pot is pretty much legal already, because no cop is going to waste his time on it these days. Unless you have pounds of the **** in your trunk, they don't care.

Very true, it is de facto legal in a lot of ways right now. But in a lot of ways it is still problematic, since those laws are enforced in racist ways against young black men, non violent possession of small amounts disproportionately result in harsh sentences based on racial lines.

Back
Top Bottom