• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If trump declares martial law.

This (martial law) may no longer be merely a point of theoretical discussion.

CNN is reporting White House sources saying they are now leaning to ending the impasse by declaring a state of emergency, and enacting the military (to secure the border & build Trump's wall)).

I started a thread here:

DP

I'm no legal expert in this, but yes I think it might be marshal law. He'd be suspending Constitutional powers, by sending the military to do civilian policing. No?

Here's what Mariam Webster has to say about this:

Source: (Marriam Webster) Martial Law

Marshal law, martial law or Marshall Law? The latter one involves a lot of amplifiers :lamo

0d6215d7788405326830bcf17730ba76ef52bc4e7f504654de759a5f113668be.jpg

With you all wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross like you do, how could that be possible?
I carry a cross? You mean for Tengri’s Son Jesus? No. I do not fight for Christ. Sorry you missed the memo.

I'm old enough to remember when Obama + Martial Law = End of the World, but now we are having nuanced discussions about whether a President has the power and what he gets when he does enact such a thing????????????????

Think what he would have done if he had lost to Hillary Clinton.

I heard they still make nice vacuum tubes. But maybe not as good as Amperex...you know, European tubes, LOL.
Anyway, I used to have one of those T-shirts (Mullard). Way back when I also had a black Fender T-shirt, and also one that said "Better Living Through Chemistry" (with a drawing of a Rorer 714 'lude on it).

And just cuz now I feel silly (and I hope this thread is silliness, cuz if not.....:shrug:)

:lamo

Is that Stormy Daniels? :mrgreen:

So, politics has eaten you up so much you can not even look at a pic of a beautiful woman without attempting to link it to some political event or issue.
Log off and go smell the coffee, take a walk in the sunshine, or read a good book.
When you don't even have normal male reactions to a pic of a beautiful woman without thinking politics, it is time to take a break from it.
Don't let yourself get so "ate up" with it as you are now.

little black dress.jpg

Last edited:
Is that Stormy Daniels? :mrgreen:

So, politics has eaten you up so much you can not even look at a pic of a beautiful woman without attempting to link it to some political event or issue.
Log off and go smell the coffee, take a walk in the sunshine, or read a good book.
When you don't even have normal male reactions to a pic of a beautiful woman without thinking politics, it is time to take a break from it.

Hmmph.....that is certainly a lot of words.....and I thought the guy was just making a joke.... the emoticon at the end was the tip-off.
However, you seem a little "ate up" by a harmless attempt at humor.:shrug:

View attachment 67247407

Omg!! What did Ivanka do to her hair???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmph.....that is certainly a lot of words.....and I thought the guy was just making a joke.... the emoticon at the end was the tip-off.
However, you seem a little "ate up" by a harmless attempt at humor.:shrug:

Methinks they don't like my jokes too much. Perhaps it's them that's too partisan??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two different things. One does not necessarily entail the other.

I don't see Trump declaring martial law. Yet.

A declared national emergency can be justification for martial law.

Werd. :) Hell, we only paid $7 million, and got a whole damn state.

Actually it was $10 million a deal the Mexicans could not refuse and for all of their land.

Gadsden Purchase, 1853–1854. The Gadsden Purchase, or Treaty, was an agreement between the United States and Mexico,

finalized in 1854, in which the United States agreed to pay Mexico $10 million for a 29,670 square mile portion of Mexico that

later became part of Arizona and New Mexico.

I'm old enough to remember when Obama + Martial Law = End of the World, but now we are having nuanced discussions about whether a President has the power and what he gets when he does enact such a thing????????????????

The current POTUS is a wild card, some say a loose cannon.

Plus, I never heard any talk of martial law under Obama.

Last edited:
Marshal law, martial law or Marshall Law? The latter one involves a lot of amplifiers :lamo

0d6215d7788405326830bcf17730ba76ef52bc4e7f504654de759a5f113668be.jpg

He looks like Jimmy Hendrix and I don't think he'd be caught in the same room with Bieber unless of course, he.....?

The only question I see, is will the army go along with martial law.

NO, the military will not obey such an order. Look at the grumbling among the brass regarding his decision on leaving Syria.

In fact, when he became president two years ago, he was "persuaded" by the military-industrial complex NOT to pull troops out of Afghanistan.

In the last days of President Nixon's administration, his Secretary of Defense explicitly told military leaders to IGNORE any direct orders from the President, unless those orders were approved by the Secretary of Defense. (Some people feared that President Nixon might order military action in order to stay in power.)

I am guessing that some of President Trump's genuine friends (especially his family) are advising him against declaring an emergency or martial law. It would probably be the end of his administration if the military were to reply: "No, Mr. President."

I also remember that there was talk in the United Kingdom a while back that military leaders would refuse to obey the orders of a certain gentleman if he ever became prime minister. I think that the "certain gentleman" had raised the possibility of getting rid of Britain's nuclear submarines.

In 2019, the armed forces have a veto power that they presumably lacked before World War II.

Last edited:
Do your research before you make such statements please. It is NOT "Unconstitutional." :doh

The President has the power to do so, but he must specify the reason and then report to Congress on the progress. Congress also has the power to end the State of Emergency.

This is codified under 50 U.S. Code Chapter 34 - NATIONAL EMERGENCIES. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/chapter-34

Having said that, I don't think it would be a good idea, and whoever brought this to Mr. Trump's attention is leading him astray.

I prefer he simply keep refusing to accept any appropriations bill unless and until the House grants funds for the wall.

I'm guessing you disagree with libertarianism on border policy :).

The moment the president declares a “national emergency” (martial law) a decision that is entirely within his discretion, more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power.

For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

Do you want and do you see the military accept this ? Even the Roman senate early on, had to remind Caesar that he needed the army.

The only question I see, is will the army go along with martial law. Guess what ? They don't have to.

It's a good thing he hasn't said anything about declaring martial law.

Back
Top Bottom