• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If trump declares martial law.

The moment the president declares a “national emergency” (martial law) a decision that is entirely within his discretion, more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power.

For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

Do you want and do you see the military accept this ? Even the Roman senate early on, had to remind Caesar that he needed the army.

The only question I see, is will the army go along with martial law. Guess what ? They don't have to.

He will be challenged immediately in the courts if he does this without just cause

Gee, you mean like when conservatives claimed Jade Helm was a plot to take the guns?

Yep.. And when Obama was going to declare martial law...

And when Bush was going to declare martial law and not give up to Obama..

And when (insert name of president) was going to declare martial law because (insert inane reason).

He will be challenged immediately in the courts if he does this without just cause

There's is very likely a big problem with that.

By any objective measure, the law has failed. Thirty states of emergency are in effect today several times more than when the act was passed.

Most have been renewed for years on end. And during the 40 years the law has been in place, Congress has not met even once, let alone every six months, to vote on whether to end them.

As a result, the president has access to emergency powers contained in 123 statutory provisions, as recently calculated by the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law. These laws address a broad range of matters, from military composition to agricultural exports to public contracts.

For the most part, the president is free to use any of them; the National Emergencies Act doesn’t require that the powers invoked
relate to the nature of the emergency. Even if the crisis at hand is, say, a nationwide crop blight, the president may
activate the law that allows the secretary of transportation to requisition any privately owned vessel at sea.

Many other laws permit the executive branch to take extraordinary action under specified conditions, such as war and domestic upheaval, regardless of whether a national emergency has been declared...or not.

And when (insert name of president) was going to declare martial law because (insert inane reason).

No one else threatened to do so, right?

But they didn't boast how they had the power when they simply couldn't get the votes.

Although one Dem rep. said Bush threatened martial law if the house didn't pass TARP.

TARP was voted down on the first attempt. Don't know how many votes it took.

But they didn't boast how they had the power when they simply couldn't get the votes.

Although one Dem rep. said Bush threatened martial law if the house didn't pass TARP.

TARP was voted down on the first attempt. Don't know how many votes it took.

Another example of Martial Law being "fake news".

Trump really can not declare martial law only a national emergency, as martial law was replaced a few decades ago by national emergency, and even then he is limited legally on what he can do. National emergency gives him many powers, however they must be limited to the emergency, and has govt oversight. Besides all of this national emergency and martial law have only been used limited times in us history, and outside the south during econstructions, has almost exclusively been used locally rather than nationally, like for example the great chicago fires, the martial law was short lived and ended when the fires were put out.

Through all of it the use of martial law can backfire horribly on those who use it, same with national emergency, hence why nearly everyone using them has limited the scope of their use to a specific disaster or warfront and to the timeframe appropriate.

I can just picture the Emergency Broadcast System on over-the-air TV announce: "The DHS has announced an illegal alien watch in your area. A watch means that conditions are favorable for illegal aliens, but no sighting has occurred."

Actually Lincoln said... And did.

In a single state, Kentucky, not nationally, and during the greatest national emergency imaginable. Imagine if it had been up to Trump to deal with the Civil War.

Hmmph.....that is certainly a lot of words.....and I thought the guy was just making a joke.... the emoticon at the end was the tip-off.
However, you seem a little "ate up" by a harmless attempt at humor.:shrug:

Emoticons are used like that all the time for insults and extreme sarcasm too.
You can't judge the intent of a post by the emoticons used.
That particular member has never said a kind word to me in recent memory, so I am going on his past behavior of sarcasm and insults.

I hope it was a harmless attempt at humour, but with his history, i was skeptical.
If it was, then I apologize and me not interpreting his post as intended.
Chalk it up to the limitations of TEXT ONLY communication.

If I was wrong, then it would have been the first time in recent memory he has NOT tried to be nasty to me.

You know I'm old enough to remember when the far right was screaming because Obama was going to declare a national emergency and not allow the Donald to become president....now you have a president saying he will shut the border down completely (I know so last week) and he will declare a national emergency for something that's been going on for decades and it's as if it's okay.
How can something that's been going on for decades be an emergency? What's the trigger?

In a single state, Kentucky, not nationally, and during the greatest national emergency imaginable. Imagine if it had been up to Trump to deal with the Civil War.

Incorrect. Proclamation by Lincoln 9/24/1862 made all disloyal persons subject to martial law. See Clement Valladingham.

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. I thought that, for the most part, they had to go along with whatever the CiC told them to do.

I won't say that I am not concerned about this. I am concerned about a lot of things, including a National Emergency to build an ego wall, and Eminent Domain to take away the land to build it on. The entire wall, if it is ever built, should be called Trump's Folly.

Actually the military do not need to obey illegal orders from the President. What was described in OP is blatantly illegal. So is declaring a "National emergency" when there is none.

Actually the military do not need to obey illegal orders from the President. What was described in OP is blatantly illegal. So is declaring a "National emergency" when there is none.

Well he has never had a problem with illegalities before. :lol:

Incorrect. Proclamation by Lincoln 9/24/1862 made all disloyal persons subject to martial law. See Clement Valladingham.

You’re referring to Lincoln’s suspension of habeas corpus, under his martial law authority. Only in Kentucky was general martial law declared.

I am referring to martial law being declared which allowed military trials for persons thought to be traitors.....

Correct, suspension of the Constitutional right of habeas corpus.

A national emergency is not automatically martial law. Martial law can be a component of said national emergency but it is not automatic. That decision, the decision to suspend constitutional rights, is up to the President to implement or not.

Trump thinks he's Lincoln hence his continuing references to him. The reference fails at the starting gate of course and well before there. But Trump thinks and believes he can do what Lincoln did during the civil war. So this Trumpolini expects to be enshrined as such by history. Too many things that point to the things Trump says are the things Trump will do while believing he can pull it off. No chance of it however.

There's is very likely a big problem with that.

By any objective measure, the law has failed. Thirty states of emergency are in effect today several times more than when the act was passed.

Most have been renewed for years on end. And during the 40 years the law has been in place, Congress has not met even once, let alone every six months, to vote on whether to end them.

As a result, the president has access to emergency powers contained in 123 statutory provisions, as recently calculated by the Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law. These laws address a broad range of matters, from military composition to agricultural exports to public contracts.

For the most part, the president is free to use any of them; the National Emergencies Act doesn’t require that the powers invoked
relate to the nature of the emergency. Even if the crisis at hand is, say, a nationwide crop blight, the president may
activate the law that allows the secretary of transportation to requisition any privately owned vessel at sea.

Many other laws permit the executive branch to take extraordinary action under specified conditions, such as war and domestic upheaval, regardless of whether a national emergency has been declared...or not.

A post like this, referring to "thirty states of emergency...in effect today", would benefit immensely from some links.

And MARTIAL control of the judicial process.... It wasn't just habeas corpus. It was the military arrest g civilians on American soil. It was drumhead trials and summary execution.

On United States soil. Do you have a source for actual executions?

The moment the president declares a “national emergency” (martial law) a decision that is entirely within his discretion, more than 100 special provisions become available to him. While many of these tee up reasonable responses to genuine emergencies, some appear dangerously suited to a leader bent on amassing or retaining power.

For instance, the president can, with the flick of his pen, activate laws allowing him to shut down many kinds of electronic communications inside the United States or freeze Americans’ bank accounts. Other powers are available even without a declaration of emergency, including laws that allow the president to deploy troops inside the country to subdue domestic unrest.

Do you want and do you see the military accept this ? Even the Roman senate early on, had to remind Caesar that he needed the army.

The only question I see, is will the army go along with martial law. Guess what ? They don't have to.

These are very good reasons for Americans not to elect a very bad anti-American godless degenerate as president in the future. If Hillary and Obama saw no problem with abandoning our troops under fire in Benghazi and then simply lying about their incompetent involvement in the firefight, just imagine what a godless democrats will do if a good man gets elected to office.

Another example of Martial Law being "fake news".

We are as we type, in several versions of various 'states of emergency' right now...as we type.

Look it up.

Back
Top Bottom