• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

If president trump declares a national emergency so he can keep his campaign promise...

Waiting to declare one doesn’t mean a national emergency is nonexistent under the statute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It undermines the significance of the supposed emergency.

If someone got hurt and waited two hours to call 911 you might question whether they really needed the ambulance, yes?

Perhaps endangered when Congress passed those laws in the 70s.

Laws are not the problem. Trump’s misuse of or ignoring them is.

It undermines the significance of the supposed emergency.

If someone got hurt and waited two hours to call 911 you might question whether they really needed the ambulance, yes?

Sure, I love that logic. Every rape victim, victim of sexual assault, who waited more than two hours, perhaps weeks, months, maybe years, to report the crime, undermined the “emergency” of the situation. Good call!

Now, the explanation for Trump’s delay here could be A.) he had previously received funding for the border wall, in which the necessity of declaring a national emergency promptly is minimized and B.) sought to first continue with the legislative process, as he has done previously

Are you suggesting Trump is misusing the NEA if he declared a national emergency under the NEA?

Unless there is an emergency, yes. Can you define the emergency? Border crossings from Mexico are down. Asylum consideration backlog is a serious problem, on the other hand, but one that more resources and quicker decisions which would deter frivolous claims could relieve more easily than a wall. Given administration policies in that regard, a refugee planning to seek shelter in the US would be a fool not to cross illegally. Good news is that even as the administration wants to make it impossible for Central Americans to obtain asylum, it is reportedly paying more attention to conditions in Honduras and its neighbors.

Unless there is an emergency, yes. Can you define the emergency? Border crossings from Mexico are down. Asylum consideration backlog is a serious problem, on the other hand, but one that more resources and quicker decisions which would deter frivolous claims could relieve more easily than a wall. Given administration policies in that regard, a refugee planning to seek shelter in the US would be a fool not to cross illegally. Good news is that even as the administration wants to make it impossible for Central Americans to obtain asylum, it is reportedly paying more attention to conditions in Honduras and its neighbors.

Trump, in deciding to declare an emergency, can’t constitute as a misuse of the statute, since the statute gives him the discretion to determine what set of circumstances is an emergency under the statute. Congress did not place any restrictions on the President’s decisions making ability to decide when an emergency exists. It doesn’t make sense to say he’s misusing the statute when he is operating within the parameters of the statute.

But I do agree with your sentiment that Trump should not declare an emergency.

Sure, I love that logic. Every rape victim, victim of sexual assault, who waited more than two hours, perhaps weeks, months, maybe years, to report the crime, undermined the “emergency” of the situation. Good call!

Now, the explanation for Trump’s delay here could be A.) he had previously received funding for the border wall, in which the necessity of declaring a national emergency promptly is minimized and B.) sought to first continue with the legislative process, as he has done previously

...you think rape victims are sent to the hospital years after their attack? What?

I say please, please, pleeeaaasseee Trump, arbitrarily declare a national emergency to just bypass congress and unilaterally enforce your agenda. Opening that box may be bad now, but just think of all the super fun liberal things we can do with this same tactic when the pendulum inevitably swings the other way in 2020 or 2024. Any time the GOP tries to stop us in congress we could just bypass congress!

Healthcare issues? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from defense to reforming our system and creating affordable universal healthcare!
Climate change? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from conservative programs to the EPA and showering green companies with subsidies!
Teen pregnancy? NATIONAL EMERGENCY!! Redirect money from ICE and border security to fund free abortions!

Then every year when the government tries to pass a budget we can hold the entire thing hostage unless we get our special liberal programs passed. There are just so many fun new tricks we're going to get to use, the possibilities are limitless, so think about that conservatives.

Careful... 2020 election night...NATIONAL EMERGENCY. That lasts indefinitely.

Back
Top Bottom