• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I feel weird not watching the SOTU ....

What was the message, would you say?

I believe what they were just saying on MSNBC. The take away is, 'no legislation if there's investigations'...

I believe what they were just saying on MSNBC. The take away is, 'no legislation if there's investigations...

Remembering back to those moments in the speech, Pelosi did keep her troops in line. If she had not put up her hand at the right moment and if they had not responded to her, that was about to get ugly!

I opted out of watching the SOTU.....I adhere to the STFU anything regarding trump

One of my facebook friends wrote this about 20 minutes ago:

"Wow, what I'm seeing in this State of the Union Address is very encouraging. I see people acting like people again, smiles, cheers, and and participation across party lines. What is this?!?!"

Soooo ... that would have been a reason for me to watch ... to know what it was that he saw which made him so happy. He's a hardline rightwinger and Trump supporter. He does not appear to have been posting sarcastically. I'm left to take my clues from these two comments.

Alright, Trump went too far IMO with the Synagogue shooting. Given that his rhetoric and the toxic environment he spawns is quite possibly complicit.

But he's being smart here. He's going after the lines of attack the Dems can take on him, and nullifying them here on the House floor. what other choice did Pelosi and the Dems have, but to clap and stand in respect for the cop that went into the synagogue?

If this is currently his closing (greatness & unity), whoever wrote it did a pretty good job I think.

Edit: Yeah, it was the close and it was well written.

I believe what they were just saying on MSNBC. The take away is, 'no legislation if there's investigations'...

And that...is why Nancy Pelosi couldn't give in during the shutdown.

Well said.

I took no pleasure in saying that. One never wants to be correct about something so wrong as a never-ending civil war. For me, the simple fact is that our Nation has been irrevocably broken since its beginning, embedded directly and indirectly in the Constitution. It’s only technology that has amplified our divisions over time.

The legacy left by the older generations fighting so bitterly with each other since the 1960s looks to be too much for the younger generations to overcome. I can’t think of a single important issue the two tribes will agree on, with all of the investigations unresolved.

What was the message, would you say?
"Greatness through Unity"

The closing was multifaceted, with the underlying theme of unity unifying it:

1] It recounted the greatness of our past

2] It called upon us to take this moment to determine the nature of the greatness we ourselves will/should rise to

3] It called upon us to rise to this greatness, together in unity

Note: All 3 sub-components above were tied together with a "unity" theme.

Thank you. When American soldiers set out beneath the dark skies over the english channel in the early hours of d-day, 1944, they were just young men of 18 and 19, hurtling on fragile landing craft toward the most momentous battle in the history of war. They did not know if they would survive the hour. They did not know if they would grow old. But they knew that America had to prevail. Their cause was this nation, and generations yet unborn. Why did they do it? They did it for America — they did it for us. Everything that has come since — our triumph over communism, our giant leaps of science and discovery, our unrivaled progress toward equality and justice — all of it is possible thanks to the blood and tears and courage and vision of the Americans who came before. Think of this capitol — think of this very chamber, where lawmakers before you voted to end slavery, to build the railroads and the highways, to defeat fascism, to secure civil rights, to face down an evil empire. Here tonight, we have legislators from across this magnificent republic. You have come from the rocky shores of maine and the volcanic peaks of hawaii, from the snowy woods of wisconsin and the red deserts of arizona, from the green farms of kentucky and the golden beaches of california. Together, we represent the most extraordinary nation in all of history.What will we do with this moment? How will we be remembered? I ask the men and women of this Congress, look at the opportunities before us. Our most thrilling achievements are still ahead.

Our most exciting journeys still await. Our biggest victories are still to come. We have not yet begun to dream. We must choose whether we are defined by our differences — or whether we dare to transcend them. We must choose whether we will squander our inheritance — or whether we will proudly declare that we are Americans. We do the incredible. We defy the impossible. We conquer the unknown. This is the time to re-ignite the American imagination. This is the time to search for the tallest summit, and set our sights on the brightest star.

This is the time to rekindle the bonds of love and loyalty and memory that link us together as citizens, as neighbors, as patriots. This is our future — our fate — and our choice to make. I am asking you to choose greatness. No matter the trials we face, no matter the challenges to come, we must go forward together. We must keep America first in our hearts. We must keep freedom alive in our souls. And we must always keep faith in America’s destiny — that one nation, under God, must be the hope and the promise and the light and the glory among all the nations of the world! Thank you. God bless you, God bless America. Thank you very much.
Source: (Vox) President Trump’s State of the Union address: live transcript

Alright, Trump went too far IMO with the Synagogue shooting. Given that his rhetoric and the toxic environment he spawns is quite possibly complicit.

But he's being smart here. He's going after the lines of attack the Dems can take on him, and nullifying them here on the House floor. what other choice did Pelosi and the Dems have, but to clap and stand in respect for the cop that went into the synagogue?

That is really a horrible thing to say. How was he complicit. Did he have Al Sharpton who IMO was complicit to the killing of Jews in NYC at the WH as our former president has. Did he negotiate an agreement with the country which vows to perform a 21st century holocaust?

Sad that it is so easy for non-Jews to minimize the killing of Jews as has been the case for 2,000 years.

One of my facebook friends wrote this about 20 minutes ago:

"Wow, what I'm seeing in this State of the Union Address is very encouraging. I see people acting like people again, smiles, cheers, and and participation across party lines. What is this?!?!"

Soooo ... that would have been a reason for me to watch ... to know what it was that he saw which made him so happy. He's a hardline rightwinger and Trump supporter. He does not appear to have been posting sarcastically. I'm left to take my clues from these two comments.
While I appreciate your referencing my opinion, can I interest you in a transcript?

(Vox) President Trump’s State of the Union address: live transcript

And for reference, my positive comment (2nd comment) was specifically addressing the quality of the speechwriting in the closing:

Thank you. When American soldiers set out beneath the dark skies over the english channel in the early hours of d-day, 1944, they were just young men of 18 and 19, hurtling on fragile landing craft toward the most momentous battle in the history of war. They did not know if they would survive the hour. They did not know if they would grow old. But they knew that America had to prevail. Their cause was this nation, and generations yet unborn. Why did they do it? They did it for America — they did it for us. Everything that has come since — our triumph over communism, our giant leaps of science and discovery, our unrivaled progress toward equality and justice — all of it is possible thanks to the blood and tears and courage and vision of the Americans who came before. Think of this capitol — think of this very chamber, where lawmakers before you voted to end slavery, to build the railroads and the highways, to defeat fascism, to secure civil rights, to face down an evil empire. Here tonight, we have legislators from across this magnificent republic. You have come from the rocky shores of maine and the volcanic peaks of hawaii, from the snowy woods of wisconsin and the red deserts of arizona, from the green farms of kentucky and the golden beaches of california. Together, we represent the most extraordinary nation in all of history.

What will we do with this moment? How will we be remembered? I ask the men and women of this Congress, look at the opportunities before us. Our most thrilling achievements are still ahead.

Our most exciting journeys still await. Our biggest victories are still to come. We have not yet begun to dream. We must choose whether we are defined by our differences — or whether we dare to transcend them. We must choose whether we will squander our inheritance — or whether we will proudly declare that we are Americans. We do the incredible. We defy the impossible. We conquer the unknown. This is the time to re-ignite the American imagination. This is the time to search for the tallest summit, and set our sights on the brightest star.

This is the time to rekindle the bonds of love and loyalty and memory that link us together as citizens, as neighbors, as patriots. This is our future — our fate — and our choice to make. I am asking you to choose greatness. No matter the trials we face, no matter the challenges to come, we must go forward together. We must keep America first in our hearts. We must keep freedom alive in our souls. And we must always keep faith in America’s destiny — that one nation, under God, must be the hope and the promise and the light and the glory among all the nations of the world! Thank you. God bless you, God bless America. Thank you very much.

Good lord. USA chants??

... and by democrats ... who would have thought ... :lamo

NYT reporter:

Emily Cochrane
‏Verified account
@ESCochrane
Follow Follow @ESCochrane
More
Democrats now starting a USA cheer after Trump acknowledges the number of women in Congress. A couple women try to get a "Thank you Nancy" chant going, but that doesn't catch on.

6:49 PM - 5 Feb 2019

That is really a horrible thing to say. How was he complicit. Did he have Al Sharpton who IMO was complicit to the killing of Jews in NYC at the WH as our former president has. Did he negotiate an agreement with the country which vows to perform a 21st century holocaust?

Sad that it is so easy for non-Jews to minimize the killing of Jews as has been the case for 2,000 years.
You lost me here. Are aware the synagogue shooter referenced Trump's Soros caravan conspiracies, in his anti-jew rants on social media?

While I appreciate your referencing my opinion, can I interest you in a transcript?

(Vox) President Trump’s State of the Union address: live transcript

And for reference, my positive comment (2nd comment) was specifically addressing the quality of the speechwriting in the closing:

Very pretty words ... as long as I'm able to read them and able to tamp down the image and sound which my brain is trying to supply of Trump's cartoonish persona saying them.

That part won applause from Democrats also?

I feel weird not watching the SOTU .... but I just can't deal with that creep now.

I can't say for sure, but it's possible I haven't missed a SOTU since sometime in the 90's. I at least haven't actively avoided one. If I was where I could watch it and I thought of it, I would turn it on, feeling it my civic duty.

But not tonight. You guys enjoy.
Afraid it might contradict your perceptions? Might hear something you actually agree with?

Very pretty words ... as long as I'm able to read them and able to tamp down the image and sound which my brain is trying to supply of Trump's cartoonish persona saying them.

That part won applause from Democrats also?
The closing was actually pretty quiet and solemn, until the applause at the end. Upon ending, it was greeted with bipartisan applause.

The real show is currently Pelosi, who's reading while he's talking (no, I'm not kidding).
The battery in her hearing aids went dead. That why she had that "deer in the headlights" look so often.

Trump WON the SOTU!!

making america great again... one Dem handclapping applause at a time.

Yep, the GOP Congress - in their applause - seem identical & interchangeable with the crowd that shows up at his rallies.
So they acted like ordinary Americans. Yep got that right.

Trump WON the SOTU!!

making america great again... one Dem handclapping applause at a time.

... and the viewers on CBS liked it too ...

CBS Evening News
‏Verified account
@CBSEveningNews
Follow Follow @CBSEveningNews
More
CBS NEWS POLL: 76 percent of viewers approved of what they heard in Pres. Trump's #SOTU speech; 72 percent said they approved of Pres. Trump's ideas for immigration.
0:02
8:02 PM - 5 Feb 2019

You lost me here. Are aware the synagogue shooter referenced Trump's Soros caravan conspiracies, in his anti-jew rants on social media?

I give you more credit than that. Do you know that the killer even knew that Soros is Jewish. Does Soros even consider himself a Jew. I truly don't know the answer. I do know he is anti-Israel and worked with the Nazis. I do know that the former president was much more anti-Israel than Trump, so was Obama also complicit.

I think you stretched a bit to far when saying Trump was complicit. I find it hurtful when people use the killing of Jews to make a political point.

... and the viewers on CBS liked it too ...

CBS Evening News
‏Verified account
@CBSEveningNews
Follow Follow @CBSEveningNews
More
CBS NEWS POLL: 76 percent of viewers approved of what they heard in Pres. Trump's #SOTU speech; 72 percent said they approved of Pres. Trump's ideas for immigration.
0:02
8:02 PM - 5 Feb 2019

Hmmmm ... I wonder if this is a self-selecting phenomenon. What percentage of viewers polled were Trump supporters? If the viewership was predominantly those who felt they could watch Trump for over an hour without being nauseated, then that would explain a relatively high percentage of them being happy with what they heard.

Hmmmm ... I wonder if this is a self-selecting phenomenon. What percentage of viewers polled were Trump supporters? If the viewership was predominantly those who felt they could watch Trump for over an hour without being nauseated, then that would explain a relatively high percentage of them being happy with what they heard.

... :lol: ...

Back
Top Bottom