• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

I feel weird not watching the SOTU ....

I usually want to know what the president is saying ... whether it's a president whose agenda I like or dislike. So, since I want to feel informed, I usually feel an obligation to listen firsthand and not rely on what other people and their biased filters tell me was the takeaway of the night.

I gave Trump a chance in his first two years. I found a couple positive things in both his first Joint Session speech and his first official SOTU. But ... no ... not tonight.

The speech is crap. It's a meandering mad-libs of claims that will keep fact checkers employed for the next month. The real-

Caravans!!! Drink!!!!

Nobody responding very well to the southern border issue...at all.

The salutations and initial introductory portion seemed fairly standard fair.

He's really pushing criminal justice now. While it's good politics and deseeved, my cynical side sees him running against law enforcement and setting the table for the pardons and other anti-law-enforcement stuff that will benefit himself and his.

That is true, but he has not discussed at all what he has for an agenda going forward. Past accomplishments are campaign rally fair. Now that he is on to Border Security. He is rolling and Nancy is just trying to keep her party from rushing the podium.

I feel weird not watching the SOTU .... but I just can't deal with that creep now.

I can't say for sure, but it's possible I haven't missed a SOTU since sometime in the 90's. I at least haven't actively avoided one. If I was where I could watch it and I thought of it, I would turn it on, feeling it my civic duty.

But not tonight. You guys enjoy.

I fully understand. The guy is such a piece of ****, liar, clown and actor that he turns all our stomachs.

Last edited:
I've never watched one. Why would you? I'll get a quick rundown in the AM. In fact I can't remember the last presidential speech I watched. Perhaps it was by JFK during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
To the bolded:

To glean additional information from body language and delivery, and to gauge Congressional response.

Trump cheated during the election, is a Russian asset and an illegitimate President. If the worst he did was read during somebody else's speech I would be thrilled.

Wrong forum, bud. The CT forum is that way ----------------------v

I've never watched one. Why would you? I'll get a quick rundown in the AM. In fact I can't remember the last presidential speech I watched. Perhaps it was by JFK during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

To the bolded:

To glean additional information from body language and delivery, and to gauge Congressional response.

Yes, that too.

MS-13! Drink again!

I'm afraid that all I'm accomplishing is justifying Amelia's decision not to watch the speech.

Funny stuff this. Trump is putting his own party to sleep and the dems are barely able to keep from throwing tomatoes at him. If Nancy twists up her face anymore she is going to turn into a raisin right in front of us.

He made up this human trafficking crap about a month ago. Now it's all about duct tape.

I feel weird not watching the SOTU .... but I just can't deal with that creep now.

I can't say for sure, but it's possible I haven't missed a SOTU since sometime in the 90's. I at least haven't actively avoided one. If I was where I could watch it and I thought of it, I would turn it on, feeling it my civic duty.

But not tonight. You guys enjoy.

I agree. Why waste my time when I can get the highlights (read lowlights) on TV tomorrow?

Mexicans are coming to rape and murder your family.

This is pretty basic campaign stuff.

...I found a couple of positive things in both his first Joint Session speech and his first official SOTU. But ... no ... not tonight.

He did mouth some unifying words during his first SOTU, but he went back to his name calling and sucking up to The Cult a day later.

Anyone care to guess how long it will take this time?

So now Trump is on to taking credit for the work of the hated federal employees. His base is probably going to sleep now.

There have to be vats of Kool-Aid and Solo cups at the exits..........

That is true, but he has not discussed at all what he has for an agenda going forward. Past accomplishments are campaign rally fair. Now that he is on to Border Security. He is rolling and Nancy is just trying to keep her party from rushing the podium.
If Pelosi can keep her cats herded here, that is a very good sign for Dems going forward.

Keeping your caucus unified and lockstep empowers it above and beyond what power it may ordinarily wield. Plus it demoralizes your opponent, and forces them to begin their negotiating positions in the realm of your possibility, which saves your caucus additional stress and and vulnerable time - again giving your caucus more power. Sticking together is a virtuously re-enforcing endeavor.

He did mouth some unifying words during his first SOTU, but he went back to his name calling and sucking up to The Cult a day later.

Anyone care to guess how long it will take thins time?

That's the game I usually play with him. Whenever he seems to make an effort to go to the high ground, I

(a) try to nurture sincere hope that it will last because that would be good for the nation, but
(b) set a timer to see how long it lasts because he has shown that it almost certainly won't last but maybe he'll set a new record.

His record so far of how long he makes it before taking a sharp turn toward the low road is just under four days.

The words are all irrelevant.

He spent most of the last SOTU pushing ‘infrastructure’ and did absolutely nothing- not even proposals that Congress shot down.

Every single person in the room knows this.

His word has absolutely no credibility.

To the bolded:

All you need for that is old footage of Il Duce.

Funny stuff this. Trump is putting his own party to sleep and the dems are barely able to keep from throwing tomatoes at him. If Nancy twists up her face anymore she is going to turn into a raisin right in front of us.

I swear, at times she's looking a lot like Nick Sandman at the Lincoln Memorial.

So now Trump is taking credit for women in Congress. Actually he CAN take credit for some of that though not in the way he is implying. Talk about begging for an applause line.

Here he goes on his Tariffs Horse Dung.

So now Trump is taking credit for women in Congress. Actually he CAN take credit for some of that though not in the way he is implying. Talk about begging for an applause line.

That was hilarious. All the women were on one side... and some started a chant “we’re all on this side!” And the GOP started an awkward ‘USA USA” chant.

Back
Top Bottom