• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How would you rate elon musk as businessman /engineer?

il369

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Eh 70% His failures were due to his ego getting ahead of himself and not listening to the scientists.

As an engineer I'd give him high marks. As a CEO he's a train wreck. He's immature and reactionary, the worst type of person to be leading that large a company.

Two big examples: calling one of the people who rescued Thai children from the cave a 'pedo'. Sure the guy criticized Elon first, but CEO's need to be a little more grown up than Elon's response would indicate.

The other example was his assertion last year that Tesla's stock price was too high. That is boldfaced stock manipulation and an irresponsible attack on the capitalization of Tesla. If I was an investor I'd be screaming for his head.

If Tesla's board wasn't populated by his friends and relatives he'd likely have been replaced by now.

As an engineer I'd give him high marks. As a CEO he's a train wreck. He's immature and reactionary, the worst type of person to be leading that large a company.

Two big examples: calling one of the people who rescued Thai children from the cave a 'pedo'. Sure the guy criticized Elon first, but CEO's need to be a little more grown up than Elon's response would indicate.

The other example was his assertion last year that Tesla's stock price was too high. That is boldfaced stock manipulation and an irresponsible attack on the capitalization of Tesla. If I was an investor I'd be screaming for his head.

If Tesla's board wasn't populated by his friends and relatives he'd likely have been replaced by now.

Yeah. He's a lousy CEO/leader. But there's plenty of people who are highly successful businesspersons but lousy CEO/leaders.

Hyperloop wants to say hello.

Yeah. He's a lousy CEO/leader. But there's plenty of people who are highly successful businesspersons but lousy CEO/leaders.

Yup. Elon, who's clearly a genius and visionary inventor, joins a long list of people who were poor managers but changed the world.

Yup. Elon, who's clearly a genius and visionary inventor, joins a long list of people who were poor managers but changed the world.

And is now the richest man in the world. As of Mar 2020, he was 20th.

In this old thread people appear to think he's a bad CEO.

In this old thread people appear to think he's a bad CEO.

What makes the "appearance" of a bad CEO, does that fit Musk, and what makes the appearance of a good CEO?

He's just a grifter passing off old ideas as new inventions.
Exactly. Trust fund baby and the offspring of an asshole.

Per Elon, Errol is "brilliant at engineering." As Ashlee Vance wrote in his book, "Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future," it was Errol's engineering business that netted him "one of the biggest houses in Pretoria [South Africa]." The business was so expansive it amassed "large projects such as office buildings, retail complexes, residential subdivisions, and an air force base" (via InsideHook).

Errol also, at one point, owned an emerald mine, a source of much controversy, particularly given that the Musks were a white family during apartheid South Africa. But Errol was himself prone to violence — he was allegedly charged with manslaughter when he shot and killed three in a group of people who broke into his Johannesburg home. He later got off on the charges due to self-defense.

Read More: https://www.thelist.com/406823/what-we-know-about-elon-musks-father/?utm_campaign=clip

As an engineer I'd give him high marks.
High marks for what, exactly? He bought a company started by engineers and paid for the "founder" title. He doesn't design cars.

'
Musk isn’t an engineer. He hires engineers.

I used to be all gaga over him because I was convinced that it was just a question of time before he would unleash something like THIS on America.

Qiantu unveils K20 $13,000 two-seat electric car

1654569377969.png

Oh sure, it's likely that such a car would probably be more like 18 to 22 thousand here in the USA, but STILL, a cheap electric car that almost ANYONE with a job could manage to buy.
I was 100 percent sure that a cheap Tesla for the masses would be JUST AROUND the CORNER, any day now.

Well, it's been a DECADE since the first super expensive Teslas hit the streets.
They started out expensive because that's what high tech is all about, expensive at first, then cheaper as the rollout scales up.
The first Teslas were expensive playtoys for rich people.
And what is he offering now, ten years later?

MORE EXPENSIVE PLAYTOYS for rich people.
The cheapest Tesla you can get your hands on is a razor's margin away from forty thousand.

Sorry, that's not a world changer, it's an expensive toy, and as long as these cars are priced in that range, that's what they will continue to be, expensive toys for rich people.
And so I really couldn't care less about a wealthy CEO who sells bling to rich people while trying to take over a social media platform to whine about being taxed too much.

Last edited:
He's doing some really awesome things for space exploration.

That's really all I give a crap about, as regards Elon. Leave him alone and in fifty years we'll have a Mars colony and asteroid mining and it will be to everyone's benefit.

He's doing some really awesome things for space exploration.

That's really all I give a crap about, as regards Elon. Leave him alone and in fifty years we'll have a Mars colony and asteroid mining and it will be to everyone's benefit.
He is quite an interesting character and has no problem putting his billions of dollars in visions he believes in.

What makes the "appearance" of a bad CEO, does that fit Musk, and what makes the appearance of a good CEO?

We only know in retrospect.

Jack Welch was thought to be one of the most visionary CEOs in America after turning General Electric around. And then the company imploded and his legacy was carefully reexamined. Musk may look terrible now, but twenty years from now? He may be one of the stolid titans of industry that people grow to love and respect like an Andrew Carnegie. Not bloody likely in my opinion, but who knows?

I used to be all gaga over him because I was convinced that it was just a question of time before he would unleash something like THIS on America.

Qiantu unveils K20 $13,000 two-seat electric car

View attachment 67395168

Oh sure, it's likely that such a car would probably be more like 18 to 22 thousand here in the USA, but STILL, a cheap electric car that almost ANYONE with a job could manage to buy.
I was 100 percent sure that a cheap Tesla for the masses would be JUST AROUND the CORNER, any day now.

Well, it's been a DECADE since the first super expensive Teslas hit the streets.
They started out expensive because that's what high tech is all about, expensive at first, then cheaper as the rollout scales up.
The first Teslas were expensive playtoys for rich people.
And what is he offering now, ten years later?

MORE EXPENSIVE PLAYTOYS for rich people.
The cheapest Tesla you can get your hands on is a razor's margin away from forty thousand.

Sorry, that's not a world changer, it's an expensive toy, and as long as these cars are priced in that range, that's what they will continue to be, expensive toys for rich people.
And so I really couldn't care less about a wealthy CEO who sells bling to rich people while trying to take over a social media platform to whine about being taxed too much.
Also, right now, the batteries last 10 years, or 100,000 miles. Then, you have a massive expense to replace the battery .

Now, there is some technology getting very close that will have a battery that will last up to 300,000 miles, and be cheaper than the lithium ion batteries. When that happens, you will see a much stronger migration to EV's.

It appears Elon thinks his “wealth” give him legitimacy To beak off about whatever he thinks is relevant. Now that he has tasted the spotlight, he cannot help himself. I cannot get excited over the “space shots.” Bezos and Musk have managed to build recoverable, (by parachute,) bottle rockets that will hold a few billionaires. We did that in the early 1960s. I will admit to a certain respect for the “recoverable” vehicles that return to a launch pad on their own, without the aid of a parachute.

He has gotten a degree in physics.

A degree in physics can get you a job as an engineer. It doesn't have to be a Physics Engineering degree.

Back
Top Bottom