• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How People Treat Police

I am also quite intelligent... but I am not sure you are seeing it through your clouded mist of failure.

Show where I am not objective. Just saying "you clearly aren't" is a failed argument according to what you just said. I have shown how you twist things. I have shown statistics about police corruption. You have shown nothing.

And yes... people that agree with me. Adults for the most part and parents to boot. Those who raise their children to be accountable for their words and actions... something your parents undoubtedly tried to teach you yet you failed to learn.

Once again, saying you are doesn't make it so. After all, crazy people think everyone else is crazy and their the sane ones.

Your cracks about the police in general and your hostility towards them,to the point of claiming they almost never suffer consequences when they do something wrong which is clearly false, is the exact opposite of being objective.

Extraordinary claims--- "police are monsters because of the actions of a minority" require extraordinary evidence. There's corruption in every job. That's a fact.

I'd think very few people actually think all or a majority of police are awful human beings because of the actions of a minority. After all, most people understand the problems with grouping everyone based on the actions of a few. You, however, aren't one of them

99% of police---- do their jobs excellently, save lives, help protect the community---most people shrug, occasionally thank them, otherwise ignore them.

1% of police---either are assholes or make one mistake---some people blame all police for them, talk trash about all police officers.

Some people are just flat out ungrateful.

Spend some time volunteering if you can. Our force promotes civilian volunteers and yes, there is a wait list. Take a ride along. One full shift of one rise along and you will it damned hard to criticize a cop ever again. Volunteer long enough and you know enough of when to call error and when to let it slide, which is what these people do day in, day out. And most of the time you are intervening in a situation where you're trying to prevent some dumb prick from harming himself.

"If you hate cops, the next time you're mugged call a lawyer."

I am with Bodhi on this.
You are up to a whopping 47 posts. Your OP has no facts, just personal opinion. You are familiar with the old phrase about opinions? The newer version I have reworked for the crowds under 20 or so

According to the FBI, from 1980-2014 alone, an average of 64 police officers were killed each year in the line of duty.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/p...forcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 20, 789 police officers have been killed in the line of duty through the nation's history.

There were 12,000 arrests for murder in 2009 alone.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/aus8009.pdf

Not to mention all of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsuccessful_terrorist_plots_in_the_United_States_post-9/11

And others which likely haven't been declassified

Yet people still demonize all officers for the actions of a small minority, despite that service.

That's not necessarily the case.

What really pisses people off is when an officer goes completely off the rails and NOTHING is done. (If there isn't clear video, and even sometimes when there is)

Only takes one time to turn one against them forever. Distrust. Earned.

And when the others who aren't being jackasses just let the ones who are carry on, they're just as guilty.

That's not necessarily the case.

What really pisses people off is when an officer goes completely off the rails and NOTHING is done. (If there isn't clear video, and even sometimes when there is)

Only takes one time to turn one against them forever. Distrust. Earned.

And when the others who aren't being jackasses just let the ones who are carry on, they're just as guilty.

But officers are often sent to jail---where they definitely don't have an easy time---and as someone else said earlier, if an officer is fired for just about anything it's hard(or at least harder) for them to gain employment as an LEO ever again.

And short of going against human nature and reporting back every time their partner does something which rubs even slightly against the manual, there's not exactly much c and c on patrol.

Bad violations are noted and punished. And it's understandable, particularly in a job where people rely on each other, that they wouldn't report their partner even when they do **** up

For every instance of police "abusing the citizenry" there's ten, fifty, a hundred instances of police doing their jobs perfectly fine, and saving lives at that. Just because there are a handful of assholes---just like in any other job---doesn't mean that all cops are bad, just like My Lai didn't mean that all soldiers were bad.

Police have a tendency to misplace their loyalty upon occasion. Is it any wonder, however, that they do, especially considering there are people like you who sit from the safety of your home, a safety which is guaranteed by the police, and call them monsters?

If the bad actors were disciplined it would be better. They usually aren't.

According to the FBI, from 1980-2014 alone, an average of 64 police officers were killed each year in the line of duty.

https://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/p...forcement-officers-killed-in-the-line-of-duty

According to the National Law Enforcement Officers Memorial Fund, 20, 789 police officers have been killed in the line of duty through the nation's history.

There were 12,000 arrests for murder in 2009 alone.

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/aus8009.pdf

Not to mention all of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unsuccessful_terrorist_plots_in_the_United_States_post-9/11

And others which likely haven't been declassified

Many of us are aware of the facts.

Many of us are aware of the facts.

Ok, so your saying that despite knowing the facts you simply don't care?

Because that's just ****ing ungrateful

It's not even "often". Almost always, for all the rhetoric, one way or another, if you screw up badly enough or commit an unjustified shooting, you get disciplined and/ or kicked off the force.

As for the War on Terror, the citizenry wants, above all, to feel safe. That's why they've allowed police to gain more and more scope in terms of law enforcement. Which is a good thing.

San Diego went 17 years without a "bad shoot". Statistically almost impossible.

They finally shot a kid over a fake gun that no one ever saw him with. He was actively working with the homeless on police brutality issues.

THAT one finally resulted in a bad shoot declaration and disciplinary action.

The only thing that did it was he was specifically involved in how to interact with cops when they stop you. How NOT to get shot. Lots of folks knew him and raised a big stink.

Ok, so your saying that despite knowing the facts you simply don't care?

Because that's just ****ing ungrateful

You have a habit of jumping to conclusions.
Question- what decade are you in?

No, I am a supporter of the Police. But I am not blind when it comes to the Thin Blue Line. Or how they close ranks and protect some Officers that should be fired at a minimum.

You have a habit of jumping to conclusions.
Question- what decade are you in?

No, I am a supporter of the Police. But I am not blind when it comes to the Thin Blue Line. Or how they close ranks and protect some Officers that should be fired at a minimum.

When was I born? 1999

Plenty of officers have been both fired and arrested over the years, however.

When was I born? 1999

Plenty of officers have been both fired and arrested over the years, however.

A trick question
What decade are you in -the question sends you to what you think I am asking, when in fact the question lack clarity- for example you could also be 45 but in the 2nd decade of this century.
I did a ton of research on the DP and came across reams of information on bad Cops. Perhaps you should take the time when permitted to take a look.

A trick question
What decade are you in -the question sends you to what you think I am asking, when in fact the question lack clarity- for example you could also be 45 but in the 2nd decade of this century.
I did a ton of research on the DP and came across reams of information on bad Cops. Perhaps you should take the time when permitted to take a look.

While there have been bad cops over the years, that doesn't negate all the good police have done for the various communities and America as a whole---sorta like how just because there's been bad immigrants that doesn't negate everything good immigrants have done for the country

While there have been bad cops over the years, that doesn't negate all the good police have done for the various communities and America as a whole---sorta like how just because there's been bad immigrants that doesn't negate everything good immigrants have done for the country

Never said it did. You missed my point.

Lots of jobs are highly stressful and I have worked in two of the traditional Top Ten. Teacher and Fire Fighter.

I was a teacher too. Not nearly as stressful as a cop. There is stress, and then you are talking about where it is more than just doing paperwork and making sure you don't screw up a kids future. No way you think fire fighting is the same as teaching.

My point will be gotten too in a second.

The real point is that cops have guns and arresting powers so if they make a mistake people die... teachers? Not so much.

Exactly. So that is a different kind of stress. Plus the teacher is unlikely to die too. They also don't deal with the same political pressures. And honestly the biggest teller to me is that officers are more likely to get stress related illnesses than fire fighters even. Especially the longer they are serving.

I think that we don't give officers good enough coping mechanisms. As a fire fighter you can leave the dumbass at the hospital and go work out. That isn't easy for officers. I really wish we could invest more into teaching officers stress management. And preferably not from someone who has never been in life or death stressful situations. Ya know?

Both sides do not understand each other fully. And the leadership doesn't do a good job bringing them together except in rare cases.

(My local police department is a great example of community policing while the local sheriff is an example of alienation of the public through running dirty campaign tactics against his or her opponent...it is sickening...

I was a teacher too. Not nearly as stressful as a cop. There is stress, and then you are talking about where it is more than just doing paperwork and making sure you don't screw up a kids future. No way you think fire fighting is the same as teaching.

My point will be gotten too in a second.

Exactly. So that is a different kind of stress. Plus the teacher is unlikely to die too. They also don't deal with the same political pressures. And honestly the biggest teller to me is that officers are more likely to get stress related illnesses than fire fighters even. Especially the longer they are serving.

I think that we don't give officers good enough coping mechanisms. As a fire fighter you can leave the dumbass at the hospital and go work out. That isn't easy for officers. I really wish we could invest more into teaching officers stress management. And preferably not from someone who has never been in life or death stressful situations. Ya know?

Both sides do not understand each other fully. And the leadership doesn't do a good job bringing them together except in rare cases.

(My local police department is a great example of community policing while the local sheriff is an example of alienation of the public through running dirty campaign tactics against his or her opponent...it is sickening...

Eh... I was a teacher that dealt with a gun being in class and twice knives being pulled out to threaten. That said, I don't get stressed... even in those situations. I think too many teachers are nilly's that fret over stupid stuff. As to the rest I pretty much agree with you.

Once again, saying you are doesn't make it so. After all, crazy people think everyone else is crazy and their the sane ones.

Your cracks about the police in general and your hostility towards them,to the point of claiming they almost never suffer consequences when they do something wrong which is clearly false, is the exact opposite of being objective.

Extraordinary claims--- "police are monsters because of the actions of a minority" require extraordinary evidence. There's corruption in every job. That's a fact.

I'd think very few people actually think all or a majority of police are awful human beings because of the actions of a minority. After all, most people understand the problems with grouping everyone based on the actions of a few. You, however, aren't one of them

All the police are monsters that need to be arrested and put in prison... dirty corrupt bastards.

A trick question
What decade are you in -the question sends you to what you think I am asking, when in fact the question lack clarity-

:lol: I saw that one coming. The question itself leads one to think, 'what is the point of this question' so then you start thinking about anticipated responces and realize that is the point of the question... at least for one who thinks about such things.

Eh... I was a teacher that dealt with a gun being in class and twice knives being pulled out to threaten. That said, I don't get stressed... even in those situations. I think too many teachers are nilly's that fret over stupid stuff. As to the rest I pretty much agree with you.

That is an extremely rare thing for a teacher. I dealt with plenty of knives and guns, but at a redneck school. They weren't for fighting. Did break up a couple of fights though. That wasn't stressful.

All the police are monsters that need to be arrested and put in prison... dirty corrupt bastards.

Once again, extraordinary claim requires extraordinary evidence. Not to mention that under the same "lumping everybody together because of the actions of a few" one could make the case that "everyone who came into the US since 2001 should be deported since their all working with terrorists"

A more extreme example but it has the same leap in logic.

Back
Top Bottom