• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

How People Treat Police

99% of police---- do their jobs excellently, save lives, help protect the community---most people shrug, occasionally thank them, otherwise ignore them.

1% of police---either are assholes or make one mistake---some people blame all police for them, talk trash about all police officers.

Some people are just flat out ungrateful.

99%? Don't make me laugh. 30% at best do an excellent job. Most don't, They lie and abuse power daily trying to intimidate or stretch their policing powers. They falsify police reports in order to make arrests look good, they invade people's homes and kill them when the home owners are innocent and they even ge tthe wrong houses and end up killing those home owners. Even good cops do this... they are then often let off and nothing happens to them. People complain and then we see silly posts like yours in response.

They have loyalty to their fellow officers. Sometimes this loyalty is misplaced. However, it is understandable why people look the other way, not just in police work, but in other jobs as well.

Other jobs do not result in illegally detaining people, taking their property or killing them so your analogy is kinda retarded.

Speaking of excellent cops :

This officer deserves a huge raise.

Dude, that cop is in huge trouble... she is a Free Inhabitant.

Other jobs do not result in illegally detaining people, taking their property or killing them so your analogy is kinda retarded.
Well, my former landlord (when I was 24), locked me out of my apartment and took my remaining possessions, then denied the whole thing. She stopped short of killing me though, I grant you that :p
(she mistook me for someone else, and then made the painter/cleaning people pay...not a nice woman)

Well, my former landlord (when I was 24), locked me out of my apartment and took my remaining possessions, then denied the whole thing. She stopped short of killing me though, I grant you that :p
(she mistook me for someone else, and then made the painter/cleaning people pay...not a nice woman)

I hear you but that is not really in her actual job description... my point, as you undoubtedly know, was that very few professions can easily trample people's rights.

For every instance of police "abusing the citizenry" there's ten, fifty, a hundred instances of police doing their jobs perfectly fine, and saving lives at that. Just because there are a handful of assholes---just like in any other job---doesn't mean that all cops are bad, just like My Lai didn't mean that all soldiers were bad.

Police have a tendency to misplace their loyalty upon occasion. Is it any wonder, however, that they do, especially considering there are people like you who sit from the safety of your home, a safety which is guaranteed by the police, and call them monsters?

99%? Don't make me laugh. 30% at best do an excellent job. Most don't, They lie and abuse power daily trying to intimidate or stretch their policing powers. They falsify police reports in order to make arrests look good, they invade people's homes and kill them when the home owners are innocent and they even ge tthe wrong houses and end up killing those home owners. Even good cops do this... they are then often let off and nothing happens to them. People complain and then we see silly posts like yours in response.

And here comes the paranoia from the bleachers. The only thing standing between the scum of the earth and the honest people are the police, who enforce the laws.

"Nothing happens to them"

Right.....because no policemen have ever been arrested or punished, right?

People complain because they want their cake and too be able to eat it too. They want protection and they want to be able to complain about the police and call them monsters.

And here comes the paranoia from the bleachers. The only thing standing between the scum of the earth and the honest people are the police, who enforce the laws.

Paranoia? :lol: Just facts dude...

The "War on Terror" has "created a generalized climate of impunity for law enforcement officers, and contributed to the erosion of what few accountability mechanisms exist for civilian control over law enforcement agencies. As a result, police brutality and abuse persist unabated and undeterred across the country."

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cerd/docs/ngos/usa/USHRN15.pdf

"Nothing happens to them"

Right.....because no policemen have ever been arrested or punished, right?

You will instantly gain a bad reputation here for intentionally misrepresenting what a poster said, otherwise known as lying. I CLEARLY said: "they are then often let off and nothing happens to them". Obviously LEO's have been arrested and punished. Either it is a lie or you simply read like ****... which is it?

People complain because they want their cake and too be able to eat it too. They want protection and they want to be able to complain about the police and call them monsters.

I said 30% do an "excellent job"... Not my problem you want to fall back on an Appeal to Emotion fallacy. Yes yes... they are "monsters".

Yes they do and we reward them handsomely for that service.

What do you consider handsomely?

Medium salary approximately $52K US wide. Doesn't seem all that "handsomely" of a reward.

What do you consider handsomely?

Medium salary approximately $52K US wide. Doesn't seem all that "handsomely" of a reward.

When you factor in benefits, job security, and the incredible gift of a pension it's extremely generous. Especially when you consider that the requirements aren't really that technically challenging. You could slash salaries and get a force that is more or less as technically competent in the profession of policing. The reason why high salaries and benefits are important for police officers and corrections officers is to encourage a larger pool of applicants so that you can encourage more morally reliable people to take up these positions of significant public trust and power.

When you factor in benefits, job security, and the incredible gift of a pension it's extremely generous. Especially when you consider that the requirements aren't really that technically challenging. You could slash salaries and get a force that is more or less as technically competent in the profession of policing. The reason why high salaries and benefits are important for police officers and corrections officers is to encourage a larger pool of applicants so that you can encourage more morally reliable people to take up these positions of significant public trust and power.

Increasing salaries doesn't improve morality. If the internal systems are corrupt then the people will become corrupt. You see it everyday with politicians, big banks, and unions of every stripe.

Increasing salaries doesn't improve morality. If the internal systems are corrupt then the people will become corrupt. You see it everyday with politicians, big banks, and unions of every stripe.

It increases the calibre of your recruit to a certain extent. If you pay $15,000 a year dont be surprised if you end up with corrupt and scummy XYZ profession, more specifically if thats a profession which requires public trust and/or power.

Every encounter I've had with the police has been good, but I've heard horror stories from other people. Their general demeanor has changed a lot since I was a kid. They used to be members of the community, often on a first name basis with people. They were friendly and you could shoot the **** with them. Now it's like if they do that, they're fraternizing with the enemy or something. My uncle is a LEO and I've heard a lot of interesting stories from him about hiring practices. They really won't hire people that are too smart, or too empathetic. The psychological profiling is really geared toward people who will follow orders and not think creatively.

Also on the whole there are too many LEOs in America given the declining crime rates. We're hiring more when we should be laying off some, but the unions prevent that. And yes there's a lot of corruption, more than people realize.

Paranoia? :lol: Just facts dude...

The "War on Terror" has "created a generalized climate of impunity for law enforcement officers, and contributed to the erosion of what few accountability mechanisms exist for civilian control over law enforcement agencies. As a result, police brutality and abuse persist unabated and undeterred across the country."

http://www2.ohchr.org/english/bodies/cerd/docs/ngos/usa/USHRN15.pdf

You will instantly gain a bad reputation here for intentionally misrepresenting what a poster said, otherwise known as lying. I CLEARLY said: "they are then often let off and nothing happens to them". Obviously LEO's have been arrested and punished. Either it is a lie or you simply read like ****... which is it?

I said 30% do an "excellent job"... Not my problem you want to fall back on an Appeal to Emotion fallacy. Yes yes... they are "monsters".

It's not even "often". Almost always, for all the rhetoric, one way or another, if you screw up badly enough or commit an unjustified shooting, you get disciplined and/ or kicked off the force.

As for the War on Terror, the citizenry wants, above all, to feel safe. That's why they've allowed police to gain more and more scope in terms of law enforcement. Which is a good thing.

They are generally compensated generously at the public expense and are additionally feted with public accolades, parades, community dinners, endorsements, etc. I think there is far too much thin skin among the 'blue line'.

Compensated generously? You mean at $15 an hour or so? And only after 5 years do they get pay bumps into 40k and so on? How much money do you actually think cops make?

Other jobs also don't deal with people and have no power or authority. So of course they don't. As with any job...there are crappy employees and good employees. And something you may not be aware of: it is nearly impossible to get rehired as a police officer once you get let go or fired. And if you are fired in an at will state for a political reason? You are screwed.

I only say that to point out that police work is high stress. Not everyone is cut out for that.

It's not even "often". Almost always, for all the rhetoric, one way or another, if you screw up badly enough or commit an unjustified shooting, you get disciplined and/ or kicked off the force.

As for the War on Terror, the citizenry wants, above all, to feel safe. That's why they've allowed police to gain more and more scope in terms of law enforcement. Which is a good thing.

Owning your mistake when you misrepresented what I said and taking responsiblity is the mature and respectful think to do... trying to play it off and continue making some kind of point is juvenile crap. I present facts... you offer Appeals to Emotion and now a Red Herring... Step up your debating game scooter because you are getting blasted.

Other jobs also don't deal with people and have no power or authority. So of course they don't. As with any job...there are crappy employees and good employees. And something you may not be aware of: it is nearly impossible to get rehired as a police officer once you get let go or fired. And if you are fired in an at will state for a political reason? You are screwed.

I only say that to point out that police work is high stress. Not everyone is cut out for that.

Lots of jobs are highly stressful and I have worked in two of the traditional Top Ten. Teacher and Fire Fighter.

The real point is that cops have guns and arresting powers so if they make a mistake people die... teachers? Not so much.

Owning your mistake when you misrepresented what I said and taking responsiblity is the mature and respectful think to do... trying to play it off and continue making some kind of point is juvenile crap. I present facts... you offer Appeals to Emotion and now a Red Herring... Step up your debating game scooter because you are getting blasted.

Why? Because you say so?

As far as I know, nobody's commented with the scorecard.

You claim you present facts, but it's so twisted by your own bias you have no room to talk.

Why? Because you say so?

You claim you present facts, but it's so twisted by your own bias you have no room to talk.

I am actually objective on this, and just about every issue... facts are facts.

...and no, not because I say so... instead it is because that is how mature adults operate. You misrepresented what I said and you claim that I twist things? :roll:

I am actually objective on this, and just about every issue... facts are facts.

...and no, not because I say so... instead it is because that is how mature adults operate. You misrepresented what I said and you claim that I twist things? :roll:

You claim you are objective. You clearly aren't. Saying "I'm objective because I say I am" doesn't make you objective anymore than somebody saying "I'm the smart because I say I am" does.

"Mature adults" by which you mean people who already agree with you. Good to know :roll:

You claim you are objective. You clearly aren't. Saying "I'm objective because I say I am" doesn't make you objective anymore than somebody saying "I'm the smart because I say I am" does.

"Mature adults" by which you mean people who already agree with you. Good to know :roll:

I am also quite intelligent... but I am not sure you are seeing it through your clouded mist of failure.

Show where I am not objective. Just saying "you clearly aren't" is a failed argument according to what you just said. I have shown how you twist things. I have shown statistics about police corruption. You have shown nothing.

And yes... people that agree with me. Adults for the most part and parents to boot. Those who raise their children to be accountable for their words and actions... something your parents undoubtedly tried to teach you yet you failed to learn.

I might differ on the number ... I would guess maybe half of them do their jobs excellently and that might be a bit generous. an almost equal portion to a half hearted job but are not malicious.
The remaining that are malicious to the public is a small percentage but it might be a bit more than 1% sadly enough.
Still it would suck to be one. nearly everyone hates you. Starting pay is pretty pathetic in most places. The police officer in my state makes about 49k. considering the risk it out to be a bit higher.
It just seems to be risky because of the news coverage whenever a police officer dies but they are safer than many occupations such as farming, fishing, truck driving, construction, logging, mining, and others. They are equivalent to landscape workers in terms of fatalities.
And due to public concerns about safety they have great benefits with early retirements.

Some specific groups of selfish, intolerant, authoritarian, violent, racist, and hypocritical people do..
Some would say you have many of those so called qualities?

Why? Because you say so?

I am with Bodhi on this.
You are up to a whopping 47 posts. Your OP has no facts, just personal opinion. You are familiar with the old phrase about opinions? The newer version I have reworked for the crowds under 20 or so

Back
Top Bottom